Our offense may not be as great as you think for this upcoming season

CCBoy

Reaction score
I know it is easy and fun to be optimistic but this is the NFL. On average an NFL player gets worse every year. Unless they are on a rookie deal if they played well last year you will be lucky to get similar performance but should almost expect worse. NFL teams are constantly being saved by players that step up and outperform expectations. Hopefully we have some of those hidden away somewhere.
Execution and momentum has always been an element functioning in the team for the Cowboys...be a 'doubting Thomas.' It's even biblical, but not pre determined because of the convenience to doubt.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
How anyone can possibly pose as a fan and make the kind of statements this so-called fan sees fit to post. As a fan he's phony, at best.
Being realistic and seeing things from a so called “glass half empty” point of view doesn’t make someone a “phony”.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Well, coaches, GMs, and players that played, coached against and game planned for, all agreed that Dak is ranked around 8, or 9. They eat sleep and breathe more football in one week than you ever have in 10 years.

This is no disrespect to you, but your list placement of Dak lacks a little credibility compared to the people who are in the business of professional football. So I can't take you seriously there.

Now to comment on your stance with, not having our old OC Kellen Moore. That is addition by subtraction because Moore's in-game awareness and football IQ to call plays according to the flow of the game was absolute TRASH!

Kellen Moore was not intelligent enough to understand the strengths of this offense. We will not miss his inability to take advantage of the strengths of our offense.

Our running backs would gash opposing defenses for 5, 6 yards a carry..... then it's 2nd, 3rd or 4th and 1 or 2 yards or goal to go. Guess what Kellen Moore's dumb *** does....

He'll call three straight pass plays or a stupid *** reverse play.

Again.... if your running backs are averaging 5, 6 yards a carry... what does someone with half of a brain call with 2 yards to gain for the 1st down??? Exactly!!!

Kellen Moore's low football IQ *** wasn't intelligent enough to continue to do what the defense couldn't stop. I'm glad his trash *** is gone. I don't need a OC calling 50 pass plays when your running backs are wearing the defense down at high yardage percentage.

It's called common sense. Kellen Moore didn't have any.
Here’s the thing. I don’t understand why everyone thinks that just because I don’t like our current OC means I liked our past one. I believe we could have done better in terms of finding an OC. I didn’t like KM and his playcalling and i am glad he’s gone because he was horrible at situational football. That said, his replacement isn’t an improvement.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
9 pts vs the Eagles in a game for the Div title.
10 pts vs the Saints.
9 pts vs the Pats.
0 pts vs the Colts.
13 pts vs GB in 3 Q of football in the playoffs.
0 pts vs the Broncos at home at the start of the 4th Q.
2 Niner playoff games a total of 29 total pts scored.
9 pts vs the Chiefs.
15 pts vs the Bills.
17 pts vs a terrible Jets team.
etc
etc
etc

I can do this all day but you get the idea of how valid his worries are about our very limited offense.
Sure give them a dog team like the Falcons or the NFC East the past 7 years and stat padding is in play in a galore fashion!!
Cherry Picking at its best. Did you include the Romo years, or should Dak bear the burden of the Dallas mediocrity?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
9 pts vs the Eagles in a game for the Div title.
10 pts vs the Saints.
9 pts vs the Pats.
0 pts vs the Colts.
13 pts vs GB in 3 Q of football in the playoffs.
0 pts vs the Broncos at home at the start of the 4th Q.
2 Niner playoff games a total of 29 total pts scored.
9 pts vs the Chiefs.
15 pts vs the Bills.
17 pts vs a terrible Jets team.
etc
etc
etc

I can do this all day but you get the idea of how valid his worries are about our very limited offense.
Sure give them a dog team like the Falcons or the NFC East the past 7 years and stat padding is in play in a galore fashion!!
everybody was hurt and the offensive line was ranked 33.

khiladi

Reaction score
Our offense will not be explosive and here’s why:

Our run game will be severely lacking. I’m not saying it was great last year. However, that being said, it has not improved this year either. Pollard as the feature back may not work as well as we are thinking it will. Last year, the one two punch of Zeke and Pollard was fun to watch. Is Zeke way past his prime? Yes. But we needed someone else to compliment Pollard’s explosive style. And we didn’t get that this season. We got Rico and Deuce. Are they going to be great enough to step up to the plate to up our running game? I like them both but unfortunately, the answer is no. Pollard, Rico, and Deuce are not this formidable trio this board and other Cowboys fans think it is. It’s a meddling trio, which, one could argue is enough to win it all with good coaching, the right plays, tough attitudes, and the right luck.

Problem is, the Cowboys have none of that. I don’t believe our new OC is going to top Kellen Moore, who wasn’t that great an OC in the first place. McCarthy is a game manager at best. Our team is nothing but a bunch of weak wannabe instagram influencers.

That leads us to our next problem— the rest of the offense being lead by none other than THE Dak Prescott, whom no one in the league fears. I’m not saying he’s a HORRIBLE QB. But I am saying he’s top 12-15 at best. Maybe Top 10-12 on his best day. He’s not a playmaker or runner. He’s not an accurate deep thrower. He’s just… basic. There’s nothing he excels at. Meaning he’s easy to shut down. Our best playmakers are in our WR room but again, that all depends on the QB and OC, both of whom are not that great.

So, when both the QB, OC, and RB rooms aren’t that great, what are we left with offensively that can be dwindled as scary good? Well that question remains unanswered. I hope I’m wrong about all of this but I just can’t see this offense being explosive or great considering all the changes (or lack thereof) made in the off-season.

We’ll be left with a somewhat great defense, but the defense can only carry the offense so far, as we saw last year when the offense severely struggled.

Whenever I a see a post where Dak is “trashed”, I like it…

khiladi

Reaction score
Well that's all ridiculous.

It's so weird how a QB that's "easy to shut down" and a "not that great" OC led the team to 1st place finishes in scoring offense each of the last two years (cutting out the Rush weeks 2-6 last year). Nobody has ever been able to explain that to me in a way I can understand.

I guess you think it was because of Zeke, the guy whose last 50 runs as a Cowboy went for 100 yards. However are we going to replace that kind of production?

Well:

1. Scoring offense includes defensive scores off TOs

2. Defensive TOs that didn’t lead to defensive scores put us in good field position.

3. Dak’s pick 6s are not counted as negatives for this offense.

4. Moore ran a conservative game plan with Rush.

4. Look at how many points Dalton put up in 2020 with Moore as the OC and no first string OL. The team put up 41, 30, 37 and 31 in 4 games and in the same Giants game that Dak went out in, it ended up at 37 pts.

5. Mike McCarthy was trying to say Moore scores too much and too fast.

Shane612

Reaction score
So basically you're saying

We will suck, and if youre right you can say see I told you so, and if you're wrong you can say I'm glad I was wrong?

We have some of the most cowardly fans in the league. Browns fans have more spine then you "fans" . All yall are good for is to sit around and cry and complain about how Jerry sucks, and Jerry this and Jerry that. Claim you care about the team yet trash the team every chance you get for the glory of being right if it goes bad? Embarrassing. No wonder Cowboy fans don't show up to home games anymore. I'd be embarrassed to be sitting next to grown babies like you.
Can I say "I really don't know how the Cowboys will do." and still be a Cowboys fan?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well:

1. Scoring offense includes defensive scores off TOs

2. Defensive TOs that didn’t lead to defensive scores put us in good field position.

3. Dak’s pick 6s are not counted as negatives for this offense.

4. Moore ran a conservative game plan with Rush.

4. Look at how many points Dalton put up in 2020 with Moore as the OC and no first string OL. The team put up 41, 30, 37 and 31 in 4 games and in the same Giants game that Dak went out in, it ended up at 37 pts.

5. Mike McCarthy was trying to say Moore scores too much and too fast.
1 and 2: They were top three in yards too, not just points.
3: The argument being made is that this year's offense will be worse. Dak's INT rate was a huge outlier last year, we should expect significant regression to the mean in that department.
I'm not sure how 4, 4, and 5 relate to this argument. If Moore was a bad OC, which is what the argument was, how could they score so much with backups? And no, McCarthy does not believe the Cowboys scored too much under Moore.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Dak throwing deep part is a tired narrative. Stats have shown pretty consistently he is a great deep ball thrower. His problem last year was lack of receiving talent and throwing into more tight windows than most other QBs in the league.

He ain't Troy Aikman at this point in his career, but then again most QBs never will be. Let's see how he does this season. Given the new weapons, I think he does pretty well. The only true thing I am worried about is OL depth spoiling it, but we will see if they make it through the season healthy as we all hope. If the starting OL holds up, this could be a great season offensively.
You mean Aikman that handed the ball off to Emmitt and threw for 200 yards and 1 TD per game?

Aikman was a steady, accurate pocket passer in the short to mid range area. He was a great leader that hung in tough in the pocket even when he knew he was getting killed.

Without a great Oline and Emmitt and a strong run game to protect him, he struggled.

A very good QB, but grossly overrated due to the incredible supporting cast around him.

Unpopular as that may be, its the honest truth.

Bagman

Reaction score
Despite all the doubt and worry, I'm going to enjoy this season. I think Dallas has assembled a pretty damn good team. The only thing to dampen my spirit would be injuries. As it would with ANY TEAM. Regardless how well you think other teams build their squads, they're all just 1 major injury from falling apart. There's no perfect team. Relax and enjoy it. Hope for good health and it'll be a great season.