Overrated and Underrated Actors and Actresses

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I have to push back, just a little bit.

Pitt's characters in Inglorious Basterds, Fight Club, and Snatch are all the same. Just a southern, normal, and Bavarian (?) accent separating them. Testosterone-driven, bravado, violent, no-regrets. These three roles, for me, are indistinguishable, acting-wise.

He isn't one of the greats. He lacks true range. Show me a film where he performs as Seymour Hoffman in Synecdoche, New York, or Capote, where he becomes Capote.

Or where he takes on any role the way Daniel Day-Lewis does.

Many of Pitt's characters come from the same well. He isn't a character actor, and for me the best of the best are. He's fun. Box office. Has a little range (bad or tough guy/good guy). Probably not overrated like I said earlier, but he certainly isn't one of the true artists. Just my opinion.

A John Cazale he is not.

Peace. :starspin:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ah, Snatch. He was character-developed and believable as the gypsy, there. He was also good in 12 Years a Slave. Same in Inglorious Basterds. Perhaps he chooses the wrong roles, sometimes, and gems other times. Perhaps I'm being a boob

I think Pitt will be polarizing on this topic, it appears.

You are a boob :laugh:

Pitt can do anything. I am not even a Fight Club fan but he was hilarious in The Mexican and awesome in Fury! :grin:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
You are a boob :laugh:

Pitt can do anything. I am not even a Fight Club fan but he was hilarious in The Mexican and awesome in Fury! :grin:
You think Pitt can perform Capote as Phillip Seymour Hoffman did? Lincoln as Daniel Day-Lewis did? Rudolf Abel as Mark Rylance beautifully portrayed?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Easily up there with Redford. And I'm a huge Redford fan! HUGE...

I made sure my wife watched Sneakers last night huge.
Redford in All is Lost is better than anything I've seen Pitt do. And Redford was like 80. And I've easily seen a dozen or more Pitt films than that of Redford's.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Jude Law made his own mistakes in the roles he chose, but you're right.
He's a terrific actor. I would have liked to have seen him working different opportunities.
There’s a really good thriller (as best as I can describe it — it certainly isn’t “coming of age” LOL), Closer, if you haven’t seen it. Law is devastatingly great in it. One of Portman’s best performance ever, too, imo.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Bruce Durn ,*Jack ELAM, Peter Sellers TOTALLY underated

Whoopi Goldberg ,Jane Fonda,
* Bea Arthur over hyped

* if you're ever surfing YOUTUBE with a few minutes, you won't ever regret pulling up " Jack ELAM'S - whatever happened/ where are they now , video story

* MAUDE was in MOTOR-T stateside ,during WWII ,USMC

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Bruce Durn ,*Jack ELAM, Peter Sellers TOTALLY underated

Whoopi Goldberg ,Jane Fonda,
* Bea Arthur over hyped

* if you're ever surfing YOUTUBE with a few minutes, you won't ever regret pulling up " Jack ELAM'S - whatever happened/ where are they now , video story

* MAUDE was in MOTOR-T stateside ,during WWII ,USMC
Bruce Dern, my brother, is incredible. Nebraska was such a beautiful movie. And he was the most vibrant of all the working parts that made it an incredible film.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Pitt is a terrific actor, a very wide range.
Sure,as long as ' inbred cracker redneck' is apparent in his characters persona,,,think about it?
what's his most memorable parts that you enjoyed seeing in where that WASN'T obvious,,,:lmao:

after that weirdness with Jon Voight's baby girl daughter Angela,,, once ol' BRAD horned on in,,, ol' BILLY BOB THORNTON'S casing-liner pretty much crashed-n- burned,,,,I loved his part in Sean Penn's "U-TURN" flick:lmao2:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Sure,as long as ' inbred cracker redneck' is apparent in his characters persona,,,think about it?
what's his most memorable parts that you enjoyed seeing in where that WASN'T obvious,,,:lmao:

after that weirdness with Jon Voight's baby girl daughter Angela,,, once ol' BRAD horned on in,,, ol' BILLY BOB THORNTON'S casing-liner pretty much crashed-n- burned,,,,I loved his part in Sean Penn's "U-TURN" flick:lmao2:
Dude. Bro. :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

cowboyec

Reaction score
Bruce Dern, my brother, is incredible. Nebraska was such a beautiful movie. And he was the most vibrant of all the working parts that made it an incredible film.
sorry bro....but I can't lie to ya....I hate bruce dern.....he shot The Duke in the back.
can.
not.
do.
that.
:starspin:'Merica:starspin:

but helluva actor tho.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Watch Nebraska, then get back to me about 'Merica :)

(But I hear ya, EC :) )
but it's The Duke.
I could take it if it was a gun fight....but in the back.
John Wayne.
:starspin:'Merica:starspin:,man.......but.....only bruce dern could pull that off.
but still cant forgive him.

cowboyec

Reaction score
goin' old school here.....old school under-rated...Brian Keith.
•Nevada Smith
•With Six You Get Egg Roll
•The Rare Breed
•Mountain Men
•Hooper
•Hardcastle and McCormack....great tv show.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
but it's The Duke.
I could take it if it was a gun fight....but in the back.
John Wayne.
:starspin:'Merica:starspin:,man.......but.....only bruce dern could pull that off.
but still cant forgive him.
I liked the part where he wads up that kids pair of wire rimmed eyeglasses & throws em' to the ground,,,:lmao2:

ESisback

Reaction score
Im glad Clint Eastwood FINALLY gets some love from the oscars and film critics because in the 70s and 80s....HOW IN THE HELL does he not get some nominations for Dirty Harry...or The Gauntlet....and he shoulda won for The Man with No Name.
not under-rated now....but in his prime....absolutely.
He was as GREAT an actor THEN as he is as a director now.

and the same for John Wayne....he is not only owed an award or 2 for The Searchers and Sands of Iwo-Jima...but an apology by the academy for being IGNORED at the time.
He was a GREAT actor....watch the scene from Wings of Eagles when his character was learning to walk.....that man was a damn fine actor.
under-rated then.....under-rated now.
recognised as a hollywood legend yes....but Im talkin about recognition for being a master of his craft....as GREAT as any of'em.

Although I LOVED Dirty Harry, Pale Rider, Josey Wales, and High Plains Drifter, I thought Clint’s best work was in:

Unforgiven
Grand Torino
Trouble With The Curve