Overrated and Underrated Actors and Actresses

ESisback

Reaction score
I think Richard Jenkins is underrated. He’s done drama, comedy, horror, fantasy, action, etc.

I also like Oliver Platt (Diggstown), Simon Pegg, and Joel Edgerton (Warrior)

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You think Pitt can perform Capote as Phillip Seymour Hoffman did? Lincoln as Daniel Day-Lewis did? Rudolf Abel as Mark Rylance beautifully portrayed?

No, he doesn't do those kind of roles. I go see Pitt for the kind of movies I like and don't care if it is an Oscar winner type :thumbup:

Those guys you mentioned are better at their craft for sure but most of their movies bore me. I like what I like and want entertained and not have to think too much :muttley:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
No, he doesn't do those kind of roles. I go see Pitt for the kind of movies I like and don't care if it is an Oscar winner type :thumbup:

Those guys you mentioned are better at their craft for sure but most of their movies bore me. I like what I like and want entertained and not have to think too much :muttley:
Well, umm, you said "Pitt can do anything" hence my question.

Of course I knew the answer. He doesn't hold a match to the greats. Living or dead.

Enjoy Transformers 14, Dex, while I watch a boring film like Brooklyn that has more craft in it than anything Pitt has ever done, or been involved in -- aside from Basterds -- in his wettest dreams.

Guy Ritchie is fun, but it's nothing new or thought-provoking. Pew Pew!

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Cage is actually, now, severely underrated. He's shown incredible range from "Raising Arizona" to "Leaving Las Vegas" to "8mm" to "Port of Call" to "Joe" to wonky "Face-off" and "Gone in 60 Secs" to name a few. He has a diverse range.

He belongs on my list of underrated actors, in hindsight. Sheesh, this thread is a wormhole for me.
I agree on Cage.
It became a fad at some point to dog him, but his range over the years has been outrageous.
More underrated overall, than overrated...imo

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Of course I knew the answer. He doesn't hold a match to the greats. Living or dead.

Enjoy Transformers 14, Dex, while I watch a boring film like Brooklyn that has more craft in it than anything Pitt has ever done, or been involved in -- aside from Basterds -- in his wettest dreams.

I don't know why I am arguing for Pitt, really don't care that much :laugh:

Oh, FYI......I stopped watching Transformers when my girl Fox stopped doing them!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I like Cage too, he was great in The Rock and I even liked him in Snake Eyes.
For his action/thriller roles, I like Face/Off, Snake Eyes, Con Air, 8mm, National Treasure (part 1), Lord of War, 60 Seconds, MATCHSTICK MEN (holy hell what a fun flick)

Port of Call is more of a character study, imo, than a thriller/action flick, but if I must, I'd include it here all day. Just some off the top of my head.

Thing is, he has an incredible array of drama films, too. He is such a fine actor. Per OP, underrated.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For his action/thriller roles, I like Face/Off, Snake Eyes, Con Air, 8mm, National Treasure (part 1), Lord of War, 60 Seconds, MATCHSTICK MEN (holy hell what a fun flick)

Port of Call is more of a character study, imo, than a thriller/action flick, but if I must, I'd include it here all day. Just some off the top of my head.

Thing is, he has an incredible array of drama films, too. He is such a fine actor. Per OP, underrated.

All good ones but we can't leave out Leaving Las Vegas. He has had his share of stinkers through no fault of his own.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Aww, dayum, forgot about Tree of Life with Pitt. That was mostly Terrence Malick making his usual gorgeous art (and I'm one of the few that adored it), but I must say, that Pitt was really, really good in it, considering the abstract role he was given, and the abstract photoshoots (seemingly, making it more difficult to act/especially when being directed by a genius). Same for the magnificent Chastain.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
All good ones but we can't leave out Leaving Las Vegas. He has had his share of stinkers through no fault of his own.
Oh, dude, I was only listing his action/thrillers :)

I already mentioned Las Vegas somewhere in this thread.

But yes, incredible film. He was incredible. And dayum, Elisabeth Shue was so hot!!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Yeah, he's had a TONNE of filth films. He was raking in money and spending it as fast as he made it. His career earnings are in the hundred/hundred and half million and he was broke at one point. Still taking on any film tossed his way.

His chops are what kept landing him his roles, and his not give a you know what about public appeal. And in doing so, created a cult-like following, and landed some nice roles in between some of the junk he was doing

ESisback

Reaction score

I agree that Brad Pitt is no powerhouse, although I loved Ocean’s Eleven, Snatch, and Seven.

As far as Guy Ritchie, he put out some flicks I really enjoyed, among them “Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels”, “Sherlock Holmes”, and the aforementioned “Snatch”.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Best actors:

Daniel Day-Lewis

P Seymour Hoffman (rip)

Jessica Chastain

Jennifer Lawrence

Natalie Portman

Marion Cotillard

Giamatti

Spacey

Del Toro

Brolin

Bardem

JK Simmons

Sarsgaard

Bradley Cooper

Overrated
:

Hanks

DiCaprio

Clooney

Streep

Hopkins

And so, so many others

Underrated:

Mads Mikkelsen

Depp

Denzel

Bradley Cooper (yes, twice listed)

Matt Damon

— just off the top of my head
The only thing I disagree with you is Hanks as over rated. I think he is a great actor who has played some very good roles. Daniel Day-Lewis is an amazing actor. Loved him In the Name of the Father and Last of the Mochicans. Robin Williams is not a bad actor either. Liked him in Patch Adams and Good Will Hunting.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I think John Lithgow is extremely underrated. The guy has range in the type of characters he can play and play very well. I think 1992's Raising Cain really opened my eyes to his abilities.

I disagree that Hanks was overrated. He did a ton of stuff that had very wide range in acting skills.

Someone said Kevin Costner was underrated. I think for a good while, he was extremely overrated. He did the movie Wyatt Earp. Of course, his version was completely and utterly DESTROYED by Kurt Russell in Tombstone.

I will give him Field of Dreams, JFK, Bull Durham and Tin Cup. The rest I either didn't watch or thought he was okay, but nothing special.

I used to watch a cable show called Dexter.
During one season, Lithgow played the villain. He was awesome!
He's definitely underrated.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

That's the Brit dude who married Madonna, Guy Ritchie? ,, "lock,stock& two smoking barrel's"? There's another flick I'll have to dig up to even register the movie title thats a British flick, similar to Ritchie's style,it's about a young 'delivery' dude hooks up with a nightclub operator over in Spain whose been fueling England with hashish for years,then they start flooding it with coke during the 80's and their complete casing-liner melts down,,, remind me sometime & I'll go look for it's title,,,,,:lmao:Id just about unlimbered up from the couch & it 'hit' ,,,," The Business"

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yeah, he's had a TONNE of filth films. He was raking in money and spending it as fast as he made it. His career earnings are in the hundred/hundred and half million and he was broke at one point. Still taking on any film tossed his way.

His chops are what kept landing him his roles, and his not give a you know what about public appeal. And in doing so, created a cult-like following, and landed some nice roles in between some of the junk he was doing
Ha,so much cash flow he about got" popped" ( in hot water)for like $4 million in dinosaur fossils that he freely turned in ( something about skirting importation laws ,I believe)