Overrated/underrated actors

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
ethiostar;2701225 said:
I need to add Richard Gear and Harrison Ford on my overrated list. Both had a couple of good performances but overall they are the same person in every single movie.

Its funny. Some of these guys carved out niche's and just ran with them. Harrison has about a dozen movies with just about the same plot just different names. :laugh1:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick;2701251 said:
Its funny. Some of these guys carved out niche's and just ran with them. Harrison has about a dozen movies with just about the same plot just different names. :laugh1:
he's been in at least 2 movies with the same name

Jack Ryan

ethiostar

Reaction score
YoMick;2701251 said:

And Harrison has the same perplexed and frantic look in every single movie too. :laugh2:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
ethiostar;2701272 said:
And Harrison has the same perplexed and frantic look in every single movie too. :laugh2:

"get away from my family" grrrrrrrrrrrr

:laugh2:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
ethiostar;2701272 said:

It's called diarrhea...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jem88;2700643 said:
John Turturro (Do The Right Thing and Barton Fink immediately come to mind.)

Miller's Crossing ... great great role. He and Gabriel Byrne really tear put on a clinic in that one.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jem88;2700645 said:
The Barbarian Invasions is a good one (it was huge in Europe when I was living there.)

Jesus of Montreal was great too.

Props on the Leonard Cohen ref too.

jem88

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2701319 said:
Jesus of Montreal was great too.

Props on the Leonard Cohen ref too.
Cheers! It just gets at me when people make these throw-away comments (although I suspect it was in jest.) Quebec, particularly in Montreal, is a very vibrant, artistic city, and one I'd recommend heartily to anyone who hasn't visited (although perhaps not in winter.)

Sometimes I wish I lived there rather than in Toronto. Unfortunately, my French isn't really up to scratch (which is needed to get a good job.)

jem88

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2701315 said:
Miller's Crossing ... great great role. He and Gabriel Byrne really tear put on a clinic in that one.
Absolute classic. When the Coen's are on their game, they're pretty hard to beat (Miller's Crossing, Fargo, Barton Fink, Blood Simple, No Country For Old Men...)

MrMom

Reaction score
Another underrated actor that sort of flys under the radar, Billy Crudup. I really enjoy his work. Jesus' Son was great.

yesfan

Reaction score
Val Kilmer should have won an oscar in Toombstone.Possibly
the best western ever made.The entire cast was great.

ethiostar

Reaction score
yesfan;2701676 said:

Great movie. Hands down one of my favorites. Some of my favorite lines by Doc Holliday.

"I'm your Huckleberry"

"I've got two guns... One for each of ya"

"I don't know, there's just something about him. Something around the eyes. Reminds me of... Me. Nope, now I'm sure of it. I hate him."

"Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist"

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
yesfan;2701676 said:

While I love that movie....Kurt Russell sucked horribly in it. Over-acting clinic right there.

...as a matter of fact, I don't really consider the "acting" in that movie very impressive at all. The writing was outstanding however, and Kilmer was damn good too.

jimmy40

Reaction score
lewpac;2700387 said:
Gene Hackman..............whatever role he plays, you FORGET he's Gene Hackman. THAT'S A GREAT ACTOR!!!!!
:bow: :bow: Most underated actor ever and second place ain't close.

yesfan

Reaction score
ethiostar;2701689 said:
Great movie. Hands down one of my favorites. Some of my favorite lines by Doc Holliday.

"I'm your Huckleberry"

"I don't know, there's just something about him. Something around the eyes. Reminds me of... Me. Nope, now I'm sure of it. I hate him."

"Maybe poker is not your game.I know lets have a spelling contest"

jimmy40

Reaction score
tomson75;2700221 said:
He's numero uno on my list of people I've sworn to punch in the face if I ever meet them.

I loved Raising Arizona. I liked Leaving Las Vegas and that snuff film he did (8mm?)...but that might be because I can barely remember them. He was decent in all three of them IIRC (better in the former)...but mostly because there wasn't much "acting" required for those parts.

He's ruined more potentially good movies than any actor in history as far as I'm concerned.

The worst. Thanks a ton Coppola. :mad:

just for you man:

[youtube]DHtbrlPI07E[/youtube]

ethiostar

Reaction score
yesfan;2701738 said:
"Maybe poker is not your game.I know lets have a spelling contest"

Another great line from Doc. He had a lot of them in that movie.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
ethiostar;2701689 said:

"I'm your Huckleberry"

great quotes there ethiostar...

a val kilmer movie i would recommend is "at first sight."

he plays a blind man and i think it is his best performance ever.

doc being second best.

his portrayal of jim morrison was excellent as well.

heat was great too.

oh look...i'm rambling.

val is a great actor.