Overrated/underrated actors

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
WarC;2700164 said:
Eddie Norton is very underrated IMO.

Dude plays the skinhead in American History X, but he's also the King of Jerusalem (the one with the mask to cover his face) in Kingdom of Heaven.

He's got good "range". I guess.

He also played a friendly dinosaur in Death to Smoochy, :D .

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
jem88;2700643 said:
Overrated:

George Clooney
Brad Pitt
Tom Hanks

Underrated:

Steve Buscemi (my favourite actor, check out Trees Lounge)
David Thewliss (you might recognize him from Harry Potter, but you must see him in Naked)
John Turturro (Do The Right Thing and Barton Fink immediately come to mind.)
David Strathairn (Brilliant in Good Night and Good Luck, also excellent in Limbo)

However, it really depends how we define over/underrated, because guys like Turturro and Buscemi are certainly held in the highest regard among cinema buffs, but they tend not to play the stereotypical leading Hollywood roles (although Buscemi has provided amusing supporting turns in otherwise forgettable Hollywood fare, such as The Rock and The Wedding Singer.)

Tom Hanks is one of my all time favorites. I love almost all of his movies.

Big
The Money Pit
The Burbs
Catch Me if You Can(Leonardo Dicaprio was great in this too)
The Green Mile
A League of Their Own

My most overrated actor would have to be:

Jim Carey. I just don't think he's funny.

or

Patrick Swayze(sp?) Just recently heard he's really bad off with cancer, I feel bad for talking about him, but Ghost and Roadhouse are the only movies of his that I watched more than once. Dirty Dancing? C'mon.

John Travolta can be added to this list also, although I liked him in Phenominon(sp?)

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
lane;2701893 said:
great quotes there ethiostar...

a val kilmer movie i would recommend is "at first sight."

he plays a blind man and i think it is his best performance ever.

doc being second best.

his portrayal of jim morrison was excellent as well.

heat was great too.

oh look...i'm rambling.

val is a great actor.

I'll have to rent "at first sight", Val is a great actor, My all time favorite movie is Tombstone. He was darn right awesome as Doc Holliday.

I watch that movie all the time.....Like clock work, my wife always says, "Again?" lol.

ethiostar

Reaction score
bbgun;2702056 said:
Overrated: Pacino
Underrated: Jon Voigt

IMO, after his early works like the Godfathers, Scarface (both classics) and maybe Carlito's way and Serpico, he has become the very definition of an 'over-actor' (if that's even a word). He just goes way overboard in a every single performance.

I wanted to chock him in Scent of a Woman every time he said, Hoo-hah...:laugh1:

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
lane;2701893 said:
great quotes there ethiostar...

a val kilmer movie i would recommend is "at first sight."

he plays a blind man and i think it is his best performance ever.

doc being second best.

his portrayal of jim morrison was excellent as well.

heat was great too.

oh look...i'm rambling.

val is a great actor.

Dont' forget about Top Secret!

"This is NOT Mel Torme!"

jem88

Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2702088 said:
Tom Hanks is one of my all time favorites. I love almost all of his movies.

Big
The Money Pit
The Burbs
Catch Me if You Can(Leonardo Dicaprio was great in this too)
The Green Mile
A League of Their Own

My most overrated actor would have to be:

Jim Carey. I just don't think he's funny.

or

Patrick Swayze(sp?) Just recently heard he's really bad off with cancer, I feel bad for talking about him, but Ghost and Roadhouse are the only movies of his that I watched more than once. Dirty Dancing? C'mon.

John Travolta can be added to this list also, although I liked him in Phenominon(sp?)
Can't stand Tom Hanks. As for Swayze, I don't think he's overrated, simply for the fact that I haven't heard too many people talk about his great acting skills.

jem88

Reaction score
ethiostar;2702171 said:
IMO, after his early works like the Godfathers, Scarface (both classics) and maybe Carlito's way and Serpico, he has become the very definition of an 'over-actor' (if that's even a word). He just goes way overboard in a every single performance.

I wanted to chock him in Scent of a Woman every time he said, Hoo-hah...:laugh1:
I agree. As far as his relatively recent roles, I thought he was good in The Insider, Insomnia and Glengarry Glen Ross.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
bbgun;2702056 said:
Overrated: Pacino
Underrated: Jon Voigt

I would go with "over acting" before I went down the "overrated" road.
Just because he set the bar so high so early on usually leads to people lowering the overall grade because the best was hard to beat.

ethiostar;2702171 said:

How about his trade mark laugh(espeically in Devil's Advocate - a very hearty and throaty Hah-ah-ah-hahaha

I think maybe the movies that he did or maybe even the directors of the movies are at fault for his seemingly same old self in every movie. I think they wanted to ensure "something" his mannerisms or something.

I thought he was great in (besides the obvious movies) Devil's Advocate, Sea of Love.

I remember, as a kid, not even knowing who he was and seeing Author, Author - "I am forgetting something... I forgot to beat my kids..."

:laugh1:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;2702195 said:
Dont' forget about Top Secret!

"This is NOT Mel Torme!"

One of the funniest parody movies ever...

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I always thought the late Glenn Ford was very underrated.

His performance as the tormented Tom Sunday in the Western miniseries "The Sacketts" was outstanding.

Ford was overshadowed during his career by people like William Holden, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, and John Wayne, but I think he was just as good.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Chief;2702319 said:

His performance as the tormented Tom Sunday in the Western miniseries "The Sacketts" was outstanding.

Ford was overshadowed during his career by people like William Holden, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, and John Wayne, but I think he was just as good.
I seem to remember a movie he was in where he buried his wife in some concrete under the gazebo.:eek:

RESIN8

Reaction score
MrMom;2701101 said:
I guess it goes back to what people consider overrated, but how would you figure these guys are overrated? I'd take Slater as the best actor of those three, but none of them are held in high esteem or get a lot of pub. So, I'm just wondering what your criteria is.

I've seen these guys in lead roles only to have other actors upstage them.

To me Slater owes his whole acting mojo to Jack Nicholson. A total rip off.

Another guy that I think sucks is David Caruso. I don't buy the tough guy redhead thing.

ethiostar

Reaction score
RESIN8;2703776 said:
I've seen these guys in lead roles only to have other actors upstage them.

To me Slater owes his whole acting mojo to Jack Nicholson. A total rip off.

Another guy that I think sucks is David Caruso. I don't buy the tough guy redhead thing.

Gwad i can't stand that guy on CSI, he irritates me to no end. I don't think i've seen anyone try so hard to look cool. Always standing sideways with his head down and not looking at anyone when he talks to them. Always saying his last sentences twice before he puts on those damn sun glasses and walk away. :mad:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ethiostar;2703913 said:
Gwad i can't stand that guy on CSI, he irritates me to no end. I don't think i've seen anyone try so hard to look cool. Always standing sideways with his head down and not looking at anyone when he talks to them. Always saying his last sentences twice before he puts on those damn sun glasses and walk away. :mad:

Caruso rules :laugh1:

Not because I think he's a good actor but because it's pure comedy. That character has become a parody of itself and I can't help but laugh.

[youtube]glvGfQnx3DI[/youtube]

ethiostar

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2703919 said:
Caruso rules :laugh1:

Not because I think he's a good actor but because it's pure comedy. That character has become a parody of itself and I can't help but laugh.

[youtube]glvGfQnx3DI[/youtube]

:lmao2: :lmao:

Oh man, that was awesome and dead on. Thanks for that Yeager.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Chief;2702319 said:

Agreed...I've always like Ford.

Plus he's in one of my all time favorite movies.

Midway

glennford025.jpg