Panthers Rescind Franchise Tag on Norman. Any interest

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Norman is not young and likely won't be good for long. Hard pass.

Fix safety before working on corner.

Really want the Ramsey-Jones duo, though it's unlikely

ksadler1

Reaction score
No, they would not. A pass rush helps coverage, and coverage helps the pass rush -- but neither one is so dependent on the other that four Deion Sanderses would "get toasted." That's like saying four Lawrence Taylors would never get a sack without decent coverage.

We'll just agree to disagree.....

DallasBlockersClub

Reaction score
No, they would not. A pass rush helps coverage, and coverage helps the pass rush -- but neither one is so dependent on the other that four Deion Sanderses would "get toasted." That's like saying four Lawrence Taylors would never get a sack without decent coverage.

Coverage is dependent on pass rush. I don't care who you have in your secondary, receivers will get open with enough time in today's NFL.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
We'll just agree to disagree.....

Three of the worst pass rushes in NFL history were all in 2008 -- the Chiefs had only 10 sacks all season (the fewest ever), and the Bengals and Browns had only 17 sacks apiece (tied for third-fewest ever). In passer rating allowed that season, they finished 25th, 21st and 13th in the league. In adjusted net yards per pass, they finished 26th, 23rd and 15th. Teams with much better pass rushes (30-plus sacks) were worse in coverage. And the Browns actually led the NFL in interception percentage despite having the third-worst sack percentage.

The worst pass defense, by far, that season, belonged to the 0-16 Detroit Lions. They allowed a passer rating of 110.9 and had only four interceptions -- despite getting 30 sacks for the 10th-best sack percentage in the league.

If you want to disagree, that's fine, but the facts show that neither one is overwhelmingly dependent on the other.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'd love to have Josh, I'd cut Carr and Church tomorrow to make room if needed. But I don't even want to know what that figure is if Carolina just peaced out of the deal.

And yeah, pass rush is important. But your defense now is a sum of the parts.

Over 60% of snaps are played in Nickel. It's your new base package in the NFL. That means 5 DB's are on the field for the majority of snaps. 5 out of 11 players on defense the majority of snaps are secondary players. Discounting nearly half your defensive starters isn't very logical.

If you want a good defense you need guys that can play, period. This has to include your secondary because, once again, nearly half the guys out there for a majority of the snaps are going to be in that group. Sum of parts.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
While this thread probably deserves its own thread I will drop it here. I will let Reality decide if he wants it here or as a stand alone. Big Ed "believes" Cowboys will pursue Norman.

ESPN's Ed Werder believes the Cowboys are candidates to pursue free agent CB Josh Norman.

As Werder notes, Dallas' two returning starters at cornerback combined for zero INTs in 2015. Brandon Carr has been an inconsistent disappointment, while Morris Claiborne busted long ago. According to Over the Cap, the Cowboys currently have just $7.61 million in salary cap space. Signing Norman might allow Dallas to focus on Joey Bosa should Jalen Ramsey go before the No. 4 pick.
Related: Cowboys

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Lol of course they don't have the cap RIGHT now.. Cuts and restructures would have to be made

Carr and Church would be my first cuts. 14Mish right there? Secure Joseph in the 2nd and we have a decent secondary. Hell, warming up to Lynch @ 4 to give us the QB we need to groom. Elliott sounds like he will get suspended eventually, similar to Bosa. Tunsil is the only blue chipper in this draft but that's a lot of money with no future QB, RB, etc. but wouldn't hate the pick seeing as Collins is gone soon anyway w/the way his contract is structured.

I would cut Carr w/o Norman in consideration as is. Church is slow/average/overpaid but we have no Safeties outside of the potential w/Jones which is looking promising. Or draft your S and then cut Church.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Why would they do this? Unless there is a suspension looming. Which i doubt[/qu
uh, if this is true and nothing is wrong health or suspension wise, I'll be hella pissed if we dont try for him.....

He probably wants some dumb 20 million per year for 7 years contract. No way you can sign the guy for that. That is the ONLY way they wouldnt resign him.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Carr and Church would be my first cuts. 14Mish right there? Secure Joseph in the 2nd and we have a decent secondary. Hell, warming up to Lynch @ 4 to give us the QB we need to groom. Elliott sounds like he will get suspended eventually, similar to Bosa. Tunsil is the only blue chipper in this draft but that's a lot of money with no future QB, RB, etc. but wouldn't hate the pick seeing as Collins is gone soon anyway.

Tradedown either get Shaq Lawson or Emmanuel Ogbah. use extra picks for another Defense end or DT with our 2nd round pick, with our extra pick get Joseph and try to get henry with the next pick. and trade something next year for Jimmy Garoppolo

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
draft down either get Shaq Lawson or Emmanuel Ogbah. use extra picks for another Defense end or DT with our 2nd round pick with our extra pick get Joseph and try to get henry with the next pick. and trade something next year for Jimmy Garoppolo

Not a bad scenario either tbh; Garoppolo has NFL game film on him over the unknown Lynch. Even standing pat, we can take Lynch (sure NE wants a 1st anyway but could see sending next years 1st and trading down for picks this year to use that value, etc.) and Joseph @ 34 would be okay with me. Obv w/your scenario we wouldn't probably need to take Joseph that high but don't want to continually miss out on players (seems to happen after the 1st ALOT) who are picked just ahead of us.

Sydla

Reaction score
One thing that makes me crack up is any time a free agent is discussed, inevitably, if the guy isn't 25 or 26 years old you have people saying "can't sign the player, he's not young".

It's a funny comment considering that the whole team is based around a QB who is not "young". This isn't some team stocked with young players that is building up to something in 3-4 years, we are team that pretty much has to win NOW because realistically we have a window of 1-3 years of Romo being able to play at a SB level. So signing an "old" player here or there isn't going to destroy any master plan we have.

That doesn't mean you go Broncos and sign a bunch of aging veterans but immediately discounting signing a particular guy because he's too old is pretty silly IMO when one realizes the entire success in the next 2-4 years is riding on the shoulders of a 36 year old QB with a busted collarbone and a balky back.

We probably can't afford Norman anyway and in no way am I saying that we have to have him, but dismissing him because he's not young (he's freaking 28) is comical to me.