Parsons in the middle

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So am I, like I think the kid is going to be a beast, plus what he told the media about being a MLB was perfectly obvious to anyone paying attention, so no harm done. No secrets there.
No one asked you.

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't get it. So many posters are saying that Parsons will replace Jaylon or LVE. I thought this defense was going to have some 3-4 elements. Last time I checked, a 3-4 defense requires 4 linebackers.

Can we imagine a defense with LVE and Parsons in the middle, Jaylon and Neal on the outside when they line up as a 3-4?

With Parsons sandwiched between a healthy LVE and Jaylon Smith, he could do some serious damage.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
No, that's not it at all. You are oversimplifying it. When the Cowboys play, they will be putting on tape a great deal of information including where in the defensive formations, Parsons will be playing. The information will get out there, but the team doesn't need Parsons's help to get that info out there. That's not his job. He can talk to the media without revealing such things. People that don't get this simple principle are the ones that get so frustrated when they can't get information from coaches like Bill Belichick. It's because he is practicing operational security and you don't get it.

Dan Quinn’s already confirmed Neal will be playing linebacker and Mukuama will be started out at safety.

Stop acting like you have any idea of how an NFL operation should be ran.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dan Quinn’s already confirmed Neal will be playing linebacker and Mukuama will be started out at safety.

Stop acting like you have any idea of how an NFL operation should be ran.
So what! What does that have to do with this discussion? Calling someone a safety or a linebacker is a very vague statement while Parsons specifying he will be playing middle linebacker is something Dan Quinn was not telling the media. Dan Quinn didn't specify if Mukuama is a strong safety or free safety either, he just said safety, being intentionally vague.

I do know a great deal about operational security, you obviously don't have a clue.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
If you watched the various interviews with Parsons he was rather honest about the learning curve associated with the position. He went on at great length going over just how many reads you have, how many different blocker angles you have to watch, etc. Its only going to be worse in the NFL where the game is faster.

If he plays middle, his learning curve is going to be longer. Maybe worth it in the long term but it also might neutralize his physical advantages.

Personally, I had hoped he would play outside weak linebacker. Put him in space more so he can rush the passer or chase down plays from behind.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If you watched the various interviews with Parsons he was rather honest about the learning curve associated with the position. He went on at great length going over just how many reads you have, how many different blocker angles you have to watch, etc. Its only going to be worse in the NFL where the game is faster.

If he plays middle, his learning curve is going to be longer. Maybe worth it in the long term but it also might neutralize his physical advantages.

Personally, I had hoped he would play outside weak linebacker. Put him in space more so he can rush the passer or chase down plays from behind.
True warriors step up to the challenge no matter how hard it is even as rookies. Dak did it. I see the same in Micah. He's an alpha dog. He can handle it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I don't get it. So many posters are saying that Parsons will replace Jaylon or LVE. I thought this defense was going to have some 3-4 elements. Last time I checked, a 3-4 defense requires 4 linebackers.

Can we imagine a defense with LVE and Parsons in the middle, Jaylon and Neal on the outside when they line up as a 3-4?

With Parsons sandwiched between a healthy LVE and Jaylon Smith, he could do some serious damage.
The normal 3 LB’s will likely be: Parsons, LVE, and Jaylon.

Let’s say this is how those 3 will be lining up (we really don’t know yet):

SAM - Micah Parsons
MIKE - LVE
WILL - Jaylon Smith

(Neal and Cox might be the two LB’s in the nickel package with only one of those two playing as the Dime LB).

When Quinn goes to the front that has the 34 “look”, they won’t bring in an additional LB because the fourth LB standing up on the end of the line will usually be Gregory. In those instances, you will usually have the SAM ‘backer and the LEO standing on the edge like 2 OLB’s. Those two would essentially become on ball LBs)

Like in this picture of the Seattle defense running the “34 look” defense:

Bear_Front.JPG

In this example, the SAM (pink SLB in the pic) would be Parsons standing on the left side in a two point stance where he can rush or drop depending on what the coaches want.

The other guy on the edge would be the LEO (in red) which will almost certainly be Randy Gregory.

Those two would be on the ball, and of course the other two (MIKE and WILL) would be standing between them, playing off the ball. In the picture, Mike is positioned right behind the NT while the Will is lined up roughly on the 5 (outside shoulder of the OT).

So, my point is, even when the defense actually is in that 34 look… they’re still going to have the same LB personnel in the game as they would with a 4 man line. Really, the only difference in the 34 and 43 in this instance would be that Gregory is standing up instead of being in a 3 point stance like he does for the 4 man line.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I've said this before. Parsons needs to shut up. If the media can see where he is playing and reports it, that's one thing, him being assigned a position and then him telling the world is another. Any information he gets from the coaches at this point needs to be treated as classified. Loose lips sink ships.
Wow. I know you didn’t like the pick or the player himself but Jesus this is a reach if I’ve ever seen one.

you make it seem like the cowboys don’t have a PR team that gave him flash cards of what to say in his first interview lol.

Majic

Reaction score

SAM - Micah Parsons
MIKE - LVE
WILL - Jaylon Smith

(Neal and Cox might be the two LB’s in the nickel package with only one of those two playing as the Dime LB).

When Quinn goes to the front that has the 34 “look”, they won’t bring in an additional LB because the fourth LB standing up on the end of the line will usually be Gregory. In those instances, you will usually have the SAM ‘backer and the LEO standing on the edge like 2 OLB’s. Those two would essentially become on ball LBs)

Bear_Front.JPG

In this example, the SAM (pink SLB in the pic) would be Parsons standing on the left side in a two point stance where he can rush or drop depending on what the coaches want.

The other guy on the edge would be the LEO (in red) which will almost certainly be Randy Gregory.

Those two would be on the ball, and of course the other two (MIKE and WILL) would be standing between them, playing off the ball. In the picture, Mike is positioned right behind the NT while the Will is lined up roughly on the 5 (outside shoulder of the OT).

So, my point is, even when the defense actually is in that 34 look… they’re still going to have the same LB personnel in the game as they would with a 4 man line. Really, the only difference in the 34 and 43 in this instance would be that Gregory is standing up instead of being in a 3 point stance like he does for the 4 man line.

When do you think we will see the nose tackle and what will the front look like, will it be the example above?

Majic

Reaction score

SAM - Micah Parsons
MIKE - LVE
WILL - Jaylon Smith

Bear_Front.JPG

Also what if they keep Parsons at Mike full time and make him like a Bobby Wagner?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've said this before. Parsons needs to shut up. If the media can see where he is playing and reports it, that's one thing, him being assigned a position and then him telling the world is another. Any information he gets from the coaches at this point needs to be treated as classified. Loose lips sink ships.
I think most NFL OC's can pick out the LB's. He's not divulging any sensitive information.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Because the secret is out now, the less they treat it as one the less obvious it is what was really just revealed. Duh!

It was NEVER going to be a secret...if he hadn't said anything, the media guys would have.