Parsons looks like a boom or bust pick to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No one could ever make up a post where anyone would consider Jaylon Smith in the same realm of excellence as Parsons at this point in time in their careers. Hollywood wouldn't even be able to conceive it.

He reminds me of: Jaylon Smith coming out of Notre Dame. I loved the way Smith played in college. If not for that gruesome injury he suffered against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl, he would've been one of the first players off the board in the 2016 draft. He has since recovered to have an outstanding career in Dallas. Parsons has a similar build and playing style. They are both so explosive and aggressive. It's hard to find players with this type of agility and athleticism without sacrificing the size. If Parsons can stay healthy and continue to develop, he will emerge as one of the top five players in the country.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...ns-lb-can-be-one-of-nation-s-top-five-players

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Oh boy.....damn....I forgot you had people comparing him to Jaylon and people who thought we should've traded with the Bears or should've taken Slater.....I hope y'all keep that same energy during the season lol.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You’re reaching. 2 players can have the similar skill sets. Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning can both have similar skill sets. It takes a real donut for someone to take that as I think Ryan Leaf is the same as Manning.

I’m not reaching at all. Saying they have similar skill sets and then saying that it’s a “bad pick” means you don’t think the player will be worth the pick.

So like I said. Your posts won’t age well when the pick winds up being a good one.

You said they have similar skill sets and Parsons was a bad pick.

I, and others have said he will end up being a better and more complete player than Jaylon who will be successfully able to do more at the NFL level than Jaylon ever has. I also said thaf Parsons skill set is better than Jaylons.

we will see who ends up right.

I mean the end of the day. The discussion was about whether it will end up being a good pick or not. We can discuss “skill sets” and other stupid blanket terms like that. But we all know Matt Ryan was a far better pick and player than Leaf. Just like Parsons will be a better pick and player than Jaylon.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Anything is possible in pro football, but when I hear that Parsons is moving at fast-forward even among pro athletes in practice, and he's flying around and moving in fast-forward in preseason games, I really have a hard time thinking he's going to bust in the regular season.

75boyz

Reaction score
He reminds me of: Jaylon Smith coming out of Notre Dame. I loved the way Smith played in college. If not for that gruesome injury he suffered against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl, he would've been one of the first players off the board in the 2016 draft. He has since recovered to have an outstanding career in Dallas. Parsons has a similar build and playing style. They are both so explosive and aggressive. It's hard to find players with this type of agility and athleticism without sacrificing the size. If Parsons can stay healthy and continue to develop, he will emerge as one of the top five players in the country.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...ns-lb-can-be-one-of-nation-s-top-five-players

THIS is what I thought you were SAYING the whole time. PRIOR to Smith's injury the 2 had very similar skill sets.

If you are saying Jaylon's present movement/skills are similar then I would disagree there.

BUT that is Not to say I disagree with your opinion on how impactful Parsons will be if he is not utilized as a pass rusher.
I'm in agreement with you there. IF he is used as an outside pass rusher like a Ware/Miller type, then good pick.

If not, not good pick.

My opinion.

No worries, I preferred giving up Parsons and Joseph for Sewell.

And Slater as my backup plan.

And still do, lol

nathanlt

Reaction score
I just feel like he doesn't fill the hole and we already have that with Jaylon. He's a read and run LB same as Jaylon. I didn't want a corner and am glad we didn't take one but I would love to see us focus on the defensive line in round 2 and maybe a guy like Adebo in the 3rd or a trade up.

Right... Parsons will lower the BOOM on fullbacks and BUST up running plays... Adebo??? Did you write this post in April, and just copy and paste it today????

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I THOUGHT that was the central point Catch was making.
The 2 compared similarly PRIOR to Jaylon's injury.
Period.

That was my point of which I thought was Catch's as well.

In other words if Catch said "PRIOR" to Jaylon's injury he and Parsons shared many of the same skills..." and this whole discussion would have been moot.

Or did he say that and I just scrolled over it?

If Catch is saying that the present(as in now or real time) movement/skills of the 2 players are similar then I would disagree.

That's all I'm saying.

I’m saying coming out of college Parsons does the same things well that Jaylon Smith currently does well and anything else is based on projection that we didn’t see on his college film.

Im not saying anything controversial by saying his coverage is in question.

Ive also said what I may have not been aware of was his ability to rush off the edge especially in a 4-3 which is just something you don’t see too much of but if Dallas let’s him pass rush consistently then I dont care if he can cover at all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m not reaching at all. Saying they have similar skill sets and then saying that it’s a “bad pick” means you don’t think the player will be worth the pick.

So like I said. Your posts won’t age well when the pick winds up being a good one.

You said they have similar skill sets and Parsons was a bad pick.

I, and others have said he will end up being a better and more complete player than Jaylon who will be successfully able to do more at the NFL level than Jaylon ever has. I also said thaf Parsons skill set is better than Jaylons.

we will see who ends up right.

I mean the end of the day. The discussion was about whether it will end up being a good pick or not. We can discuss “skill sets” and other stupid blanket terms like that. But we all know Matt Ryan was a far better pick and player than Leaf. Just like Parsons will be a better pick and player than Jaylon.

I didn’t project him as a pure pass rusher which he may be.

If he can’t provide something against the pass then it’s a bad pick in a passing league.

My main concern was his ability to cover but if he is a consistent pass rusher I could care less if he can cover.

I knew he could blitz up the middle from his college film but used as a OLB in a 3-4 type of way is not something I saw as a fit for Dallas because I didn’t think they would do it.

If he rushes off the edge then my main concern about covering doesn’t even matter. He’s showing to be more of a Von Miller type and I prefer that over a traditional linebacker with our first pick.

75boyz

Reaction score
I’m saying coming out of college Parsons does the same things well that Jaylon Smith currently does well and anything else is based on projection that we didn’t see on his college film.

Im not saying anything controversial by saying his coverage is in question.

Ive also said what I may have not been aware of was his ability to rush off the edge especially in a 4-3 which is just something you don’t see too much of but if Dallas let’s him pass rush consistently then I dont care if he can cover at all.

No arguments here bro.

HungryLion

Reaction score

If he can’t provide something against the pass then it’s a bad pick in a passing league.

My main concern was his ability to cover but if he is a consistent pass rusher I could care less if he can cover.

I knew he could blitz up the middle from his college film but used as a OLB in a 3-4 type of way is not something I saw as a fit for Dallas because I didn’t think they would do it.

If he rushes off the edge then my main concern about covering doesn’t even matter. He’s showing to be more of a Von Miller type and I prefer that over a traditional linebacker with our first pick.

I know you were into Jaelen Phillips. Who btw I also like.

I just have always disagreed with the Jaylon comparisons because I truly believe Parsons is going to be a much more well rounded player than Jaylon has ever proven to be. And better at taking on and shedding blocks as well.

Plus the pass rushing.

End of the day it’s all good. Parsons is here. We just gotta hope he becomes the dominant player I believe he can be.

The Miller comparison is an interesting one. Parsons matches up athletically very well with Miller. Just shorter arms.

funny enough. Parsons agent prior to the draft was doing an interview. And he said a lot of 3-4 teams were interested in Micah to play 3-4 OLB. He thought the Broncos may take him to go opposite of Miller. Obviously that didn’t happen. But they had interest.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No arguments here bro.

It’s pretty easy to understand I would think.

I mean even in the opening line on this thread I said that I’m not saying he can’t cover it’s just that we haven’t seen it.

Like that is some kind of controversial thing to say lol.

I also admit that I’ve been caught off guard with how they are using him in a Ware/Von Miller type of way. I didn’t see that coming and I doubt anyone else did either.

75boyz

Reaction score

Totally understood and agreed with bro. If he's played as a regular 4-3 outside linebacker that doesn't rush the passer, wasted pick imo as well.
If used as the primary pass rusher in the 3-4 alignments, good pick.

Totally agree.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I just feel like he doesn't fill the hole and we already have that with Jaylon. He's a read and run LB same as Jaylon. I didn't want a corner and am glad we didn't take one but I would love to see us focus on the defensive line in round 2 and maybe a guy like Adebo in the 3rd or a trade up.
:facepalm:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I know you were into Jaelen Phillips. Who btw I also like.

I just have always disagreed with the Jaylon comparisons because I truly believe Parsons is going to be a much more well rounded player than Jaylon has ever proven to be. And better at taking on and shedding blocks as well.

Plus the pass rushing.

End of the day it’s all good. Parsons is here. We just gotta hope he becomes the dominant player I believe he can be.

The Miller comparison is an interesting one. Parsons matches up athletically very well with Miller. Just shorter arms.

funny enough. Parsons agent prior to the draft was doing sn interview. And he said a lot of 3-4 teams were interested in Micah to play 3-4 OLB.

Sorry I called you a dummy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They are lazy because saying he is “just like Jaylon Smith” as just a negative is stupid.

Jaylon Smith was an elite prospect himself until he suffered a devastating knee injury that he has never fully recovered from.

none of us know how good Jaylon would be if he never ruins his knee.

that’s why it’s stupid to say “he is just like Jaylon” like it’s some bad thing.

it’s also stupid because Parsons has other abilities Jaylon doesn’t.
:thumbup::flagwave:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There is nothing "bust" about this Parsons kid. He wants to make all the plays, so I say god bless him for trying.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Parsons has much better instincts than Smith and has already played better than Smith. Playing LB is natural for Parsons. He doesn't have to think. Jaylon is lost out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.