Pay Claiborne

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right now we are talking of a contract or no contract without having a clue as to what the Cowboys may offer and what Claiborne is willing to take. To say sign him or don't sign him without any clue as to price range truly is putting the cart before the horse.

Reactions: CWR

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Two words; Franchise Tag. Make him prove it two years in a row before paying him long term.

The franchise tag would be 13 million. No way in hell that is happening.

Some of you need to come to grips with either 1. Claiborne continues to play at a high level and gets paid. 2. Gets injured again and we go into 2017 with the worst secondary in the league with the robber Scandrick and scrubs

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Make him play the rest of the season then pay him a decent amount if he keeps this up. No more premature signings when it isn't needed, he will not demand Revis Island type of coin.

If he starts to regress against GB, Philly, Pitt, etc....then reassess. I still want Mo here longer and let Carr hit the road. There is no logical reason to let both our starting corners go in the same off-season.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Injuries are an issue, but not his zone coverage. We play as much man as anyone. He's capable of playing zone - he made two nice plays in zone yesterday - but it's not his strength.

He certainly seems to have improved, which is nice, but the injury thing is troubling. He's been as banged up than Sean Lee over the last five years. It doesn't do any good to pay players who can't stay on the field.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
He certainly seems to have improved, which is nice, but the injury thing is troubling. He's been as banged up than Sean Lee over the last five years. It doesn't do any good to pay players who can't stay on the field.

This is very true. They have to make that call. How much was bad luck? How much is that risk worth? They should have a much better idea of that than us.

Reaction score
Franchise tag is a terrible idea....that is 14m all at once.....he isn't worth 10m a year to us

Janoris Jenkins got $62.5M for 5 years. $12.5M annually. Either you pay Claiborne $13M for one year franchise tag, pay him close to $60M for 5 years, or find someone else from another team who you don't know as well. Realistically, those are the options

Sydla

Reaction score
NO

NO

Did I say NO?

We have seen this movie MANY MANY times before

You don't pay players who underperform under contract and then SUDDENLY become healthy and gave career years in their contract year

So you are letting Claiborne walk at year end?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Janoris Jenkins got $62.5M for 5 years. $12.5M annually. Either you pay Claiborne $13M for one year franchise tag, pay him close to $60M for 5 years, or find someone else from another team who you don't know as well. Realistically, those are the options

What? If Claiborne is asking for that, he is going to have a hard time finding a team. He may want that initially, but that is going to be negotiated down or he'll be a FA for a while and have to accept a much smaller contract.

CB contracts

http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

He will most likely get around what DMC is making due to injury history. He MIGHT get someone who gives a 9 million contract like Vontae Davis. I would say anywhere from 7-8 million a year, and if he continues playing like a top 10 CB in this league, he deserves it. His high level of play goes back to last year.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Im resigning Mo - at the end of the year.
If he keeps this up, and plays thru the end of the season - he will deserve to get an extention.
He decided to stay last year, when most thought he would leave. Carr is gone after this year, and we will be drafting a CB relatively high. Mo gets a reasonable deal, not breaking the bank, but paying fair market value.
If he can keep his confidence up, he will be our CB #1.

Reactions: CWR

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't give him 10m+, let alone 14m....... I let him walk if we wants that kind of money......I would have signed Norman.....get a comp pick if someone is willing to go that high

Draft a CB early and re-sign Carr for 4m if you want depth.....Brown and OScan will have to step up

Sign Benwikere now

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't pay players who underperform under contract and then SUDDENLY become healthy and gave career years in their contract year
Last year was a contract year for him also.

He wasn't a underperformer as much as he was hurt and miscast. Big difference.

Section446

Reaction score
Way too early, a handful of good games over 5 years doesn't constitute a new deal. It's just a little too convenient that it's happening during a contract year.

Reaction score
I don't give him 10m+, let alone 14m....... I let him walk if we wants that kind of money......I would have signed Norman.....get a comp pick if someone is willing to go that high

Draft a CB early and re-sign Carr for 4m if you want depth.....Brown and OScan will have to step up

Sign Benwikere now
Benwikere claimed by MIA

Reaction score

Sign Benwikere now

I would have signed Norman too. But if Jenkins got $12.5M, Claiborne will get close to it if he keeps playing like he has. CB1's don't grow on trees and Claiborne has the physical skills. He just hasn't been able to stay healthy. I'm not saying we should sign him long term for that money. But I would franchise him and let Carr go.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I'm interested in letting it play out the season but I will be the first to admit that I hated the pick from the moment we traded our 2nd to jump up and get him instead of spending a pick on an offensive lineman... That being said, he's played like the pick we jumped up to take should be playing this season. I hope he keeps it up

I wonder if having a true safety in Byron Jones has helped too

robjay04

Reaction score
Suddenly 'gets it' after 5 years of dogging it when he needs to be paid :rolleyes:

Yeah, he gets it alright

Unfortunately many fans don't 'get it'

Being healthy and confident in a defense that lets you play to your strengths can do a ton for a player.

CWR

Reaction score
I think this is his 1st, yes 1ST training camp that he participated in. If I were looking for a long term multi million dollar contract, I would say the same. Need more than 1yr to pay him. Spend the money on the O-line and draft another CB.

Really its going to depend on what the market dictates and how much he is demanding. I want him back but not at any cost.

CWR

Reaction score
Performing for 5 games in his 5th season after his first 4 were terrible is proving your worth? I'd love you to be my boss. Get to perform poorly for 4 years. And because I do ok for a quarter of my 5th year, I get locked up with an extension and a pay raise. Sounds good!

He wasnt terrible last year.