PC gone too far?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3314975 said:
Awesome, so these statutes are based on intent and foreknowledge? I am sure that will hold up!! :)
Intent isn't as difficult to prove as you think.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3314819 said:
Demanding? LOL he's a 16-year old patron.

And of course, the other patrons of the store knew that when he came on over the loudspeaker...

rkell87

Reaction score
theogt;3314969 said:

ah i see i missed it, that seems about right could be a little different in texas, but i havent heard that you cant detain them in the store for fear of false imprisonment but i guess that might be a little easier to get out of with security cameras to prove that they were intending to steal but outside the store is a different story, it costs the store more if the employee or the theif gets hurt than the item being stolen thats why you cant touch them out of the store

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
ethiostar;3314950 said:
I hold different types of people to different social standards all the time. A police man has a specific social standard, so does a teacher, a waiter, a lawyer, a nurse, etc....

I'm ok with a cop pulling over my niece to write her a ticket but i'm not ok with an average Joe doing it. I expect a waiter to take my order but i don't expect that from someone i run into in the streets. So, i don't get your point. Based on your definition, we all discriminate all the time.

This is comparing apples to oranges. Teachers and policemen have certain legal and job requirements they must fulfill--requirements that are enumerated in great detail and established over lengthy processes. They certainly aren't determined by something so subject as "audience reaction."

Expecting cops and teachers to fulfill the roles for which they're paid is substantially different from what you're doing: You're establishing different limits on free speech for different types of people.

We should punish this kid for being a jack*** over a PA, not for what he said over the PA.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
vta;3314978 said:
Somehow I doubt it was the anti-PC crowd that decided this crap is news.
I was once charged with a minor offense - you never heard about until now. One can only wonder why that is...

Not that I care one way or the other about this kid, but if you don't see the obvious opportunistic move of putting this crap on the news, I'd say you're not being fully objective. It's not news, it's a minor incident being blown up to agitate racial perceptions.

The cess-pool of the Elizabeth, NJ county court house is full of much worse instances that you'll never hear of. This is cream puff.
The only reason I heard about this was because of the anti-PC crowd (i.e., Bob). And the only people that were talking about it in the thread before I posted were anti-PC.

silverbear

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3314824 said:
See bob he was one of the people that i was talking about.

I wear your contempt as a badge of honor... somehow, being insulted by a man who admits to regularly shoplifting, indeed who brags about it, doesn't sting...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
rkell87;3314983 said:
ah i see i missed it, that seems about right could be a little different in texas, but i havent heard that you cant detain them in the store for fear of false imprisonment but i guess that might be a little easier to get out of with security cameras to prove that they were intending to steal but outside the store is a different story, it costs the store more if the employee or the theif gets hurt than the item being stolen thats why you cant touch them out of the store
Your best bet is just to let them go and call the police. Even if you're not afraid of legal ramifications, from a safety standpoint, it's usually the best idea.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
theogt;3314985 said:
The only reason I heard about this was because of the anti-PC crowd (i.e., Bob). And the only people that were talking about it in the thread before I posted were anti-PC.

True, but I have the funny feeling Bob isn't from NJ. It reached his awareness because some one decided to blow it up and it wasn't someone anti-PC.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
vta;3314990 said:
True, but I have the funny feeling Bob isn't from NJ. It reached his awareness because some one decided to blow it up and it wasn't someone anti-PC.
Bob trolls racist forums.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
silverbear;3314987 said:
I wear your contempt as a badge of honor... somehow, being insulted by a man who admits to regularly shoplifting, indeed who brags about it, doesn't sting...

Its not contempt so much as pity. I do not doubt youre earnest in what you say. You are so naive its sad.

rkell87

Reaction score
jimmy40;3314972 said:
you said if you get outside the store they can't do anything. You were wrong.
all right ill bite what can i do? i did say they can call the cops, i didnt say but have been instructed to see where they go try to get a license plate if you can and try to remember everthing about them and their car i can for the police report and then review the store and parking lot security tape.

so what else?

silverbear

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3314833 said:
Funny thing is is that the thread has been quite civil and PG until Silverbear appeared. Would not be surprised to see it closed pretty soon.

Oh yeah, you guys were having a good ol' time bashing theo for sticking up for common decency...

But where exactly did I cross the line from "PG"?? I'm sorry if you don't like it that I find your defense of that ignorant little punk to be idiotic, but I do...

In fact, it has caused me to revise my opinion of you considerably... you probably shouldn't expect me to joke around with you any more...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
silverbear;3314996 said:
Oh yeah, you guys were having a good ol' time bashing theo for sticking up for common decency...

But where exactly did I cross the line from "PG"?? I'm sorry if you don't like it that I find your defense of that ignorant little punk to be idiotic, but I do...

In fact, it has caused me to revise my opinion of you considerably... you probably shouldn't expect me to joke around with you any more...

I am glad you pointed out Bob hates black just like the kid does. Thanks for that.

silverbear

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3314839 said:
I have always thought that you were naive but this is truly astounding. Keep on beating that soapbox.

What exactly was "naive" about the argument I made?? Be specific...

You and bobby both seem to be determined to ignore the substance of my argument, in favor of responses that really say nothing... all this suggests is that you don't have a substantive response...

Then again, I've come to expect that from you...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
silverbear;3314999 said:
What exactly was "naive" about the argument I made?? Be specific...

You and bobby both seem to be determined to ignore the substance of my argument, in favor of responses that really say nothing... all this suggests is that you don't have a substantive response...

Then again, I've come to expect that from you...

Im sure you do.

Its the manner in which you always project your worldview onto others as if it is some universal truth. I have mentioned that several times. You are unable to see outside of your own little box.

I am sure that Bob really does hate black people though.