PC gone too far?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;3315048 said:
You don't see anything wrong with Bob making a freaking joke about ethio being confronted by a bunch of teenaged skinheads??

Wah.

Ethio seemed to be fine with that comment and not a wound up tight ball like you.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
silverbear;3315035 said:
Nope... there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that very, very few people do not have at least some small degree of racism in them, because it's the truth...

I don't think this is necessarily the case.

Depending on how you classify "racism".

If by "racism" you mean simple categorization than I would agree but if by "racism" you mean hostile feeling towards people of another race, I would whole-heartedly disagree.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;3315048 said:
You don't see anything wrong with Bob making a freaking joke about ethio being confronted by a bunch of teenaged skinheads??

And my joke was about him should of having turned the tables on them and kicking their little, white *****. Seriously, you already went into this thread with the mindset that whoever "defends" this kid is just as bad as him.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3314899 said:
That's racism? Seriously dude.

Yes, that's racism... that's believing deep down that there's something wrong, even dangerous, about other races...

And some of it can't be helped, even if you like to think of yourself as an enlightened individual... we can't help what our gut tells us...

Hell, I get nervous walking back to my car after a night game at Camden Yards, to the extent that I don't go to night games any more... and guess who I'd be likely to encounter in that parking lot??

Yeah, that's racist... I know it, and I hate it, but there it is...

I think maybe I'm a little more honest than some of you in here, and I repeat, almost all of us, regardless of race, have a little racism in us... the challenge for those of us who wish to be good people is to beat that racism back when it rears its ugly head...

gmoney112

Reaction score
rkell87;3315045 said:
i see you are going with the innocent until route which is good but if proven guilty then it if the guy was detained within reason (which would be determined later like the theif being proven guilty) then it should be allowed because criminals should be punished.

While I agree that if it's a certainty that they were stealing, as in 100% indisputable, their should be a reasonable method of detaining. But then again you don't know what some people are capable of when they're faced with the reality of doing a stint for burglary. There are some crazy people out there. Endangering your employees/possibly innocent bystanders would be a disaster, especially for some material goods. It's much safer and better for all involved to just let the police watch the cameras and try to get a license plate number as they leave.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;3315054 said:
Yes, that's racism... that's believing deep down that there's something wrong, even dangerous, about other races...

And some of it can't be helped, even if you like to think of yourself as an enlightened individual... we can't help what our gut tells us...

Hell, I get nervous walking back to my car after a night game at Camden Yards, to the extent that I don't go to night games any more... and guess who I'd be likely to encounter in that parking lot??

I think maybe I'm a little more honest than some of you in here, and I repeat, almost all of us, regardless of race, have a little racism in us... the challenge for those of us who wish to be good people is to beat that racism back when it rears its ugly head...

There's an irrational, racial fear that you may or not get jumped by someone from a different race. Then there's being uncomfortable because you just can't relate, or fear that you won't be able to. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. That's my biggest problem, that not everything that could be deemed racist, is racism.

A joke or prank with racial overtones does not make one a racist unless that is part of his everyday thinking of racial superiority.

And I don't think banging a 16 year old through the court system, which is a fearful process in it's own right, in that instance is appropriate. I believe that is only reserved for youthful offenders who deal in drugs, break into people's homes or places of business to rob, and commit physical crimes that leave behind real victims.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
silverbear;3315054 said:

I'm not scared of black people. I'm scared of poor people.

I realize this is a novel idea but just because you are one way doesn't mean everyone else is.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3315049 said:
Most shoplifting arrests are made after they catch the person doing it on camera. I worked at a retail store and I was cool with the LP, so I'd sit in sometimes and watch him work the cameras on a shop-lifter, and then go out and make the detention. Basically all shoplifting stops have a bunch of surveillance of it done beforehand.

Yeah but even in retail you can't physically detain them.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
gmoney112;3315059 said:
Yeah but even in retail you can't physically detain them.

What do you mean by physical? Because this guy would just tap people on the shoulder, tell them to put their hands behind their back, and he would slap those zip-ties on them.

I worked at another retail store and one of my managers pancaked a thief, no problem.

silverbear

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3314903 said:
Parallel that with the precise definition of racism. Not your hippy ****** version of it.

I reject that "precise definition" that was offered here...

One of the definitions that Merriam-Webster's offers is:

2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Demanding that all black people leave that store was discrimination against those black people...

Part of the Cambridge International Dictionary's definition includes "unfair treatment of members of other races"... demanding those black people leave is treating them unfairly...

The American Heritage Dictionary's definition includes:

Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Again, the announcement discriminated against black people, based on their race...

Dictionary.com includes this:

intolerance of another race or other races.

The announcement was intolerant of black people...

Finally, Encarta offers this definition:

1. animosity toward other races: prejudice or animosity against people who belong to other races

Clearly, this kid demonstrated animosity toward black people...

So, it would seem that your "precise definition" wasn't that "precise" at all... it is within the context of all of these definitions that I call his actions racist...

gmoney112

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3315061 said:
What do you mean by physical? Because this guy would just tap people on the shoulder, tell them to put their hands behind their back, and he would slap those zip-ties on them.

Really? I've never heard of that, you did that? I couldn't tell if you meant "this guy" and you were talking about yourself, or actually another guy, haha. My girlfriend works in retail and she tells me all the time about people that steal, and basically if they bolt for the door they can't physically stop them. They usually always get caught because the LP sees them and contacts authorities, but not in the actual store.

Were you/the guy a manager? I think as a line level employee making 7.00/hr I would laugh if I was asked to apprehend someone suspected of stealing. Sure I'll be glad to detain that possibly dangerous suspect! You guys don't even offer health insurance but what's a shanking between an employer/employee relationship?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;3315065 said:
I reject that "precise definition" that was offered here...

One of the definitions that Merriam-Webster's offers is:

Demanding that all black people leave that store was discrimination against those black people...

Part of the Cambridge International Dictionary's definition includes "unfair treatment of members of other races"... demanding those black people leave is treating them unfairly...

The American Heritage Dictionary's definition includes:

Again, the announcement discriminated against black people, based on their race...

Dictionary.com includes this:

The announcement was intolerant of black people...

Finally, Encarta offers this definition:

Clearly, this kid demonstrated animosity toward black people...

So, it would seem that your "precise definition" wasn't that "precise" at all... it is within the context of all of these definitions that I call his actions racist...

The only thing you can really ply on this kid is discrimination. For 1 thing his announcement made no prejudicial determination of any kind of the black race, and 2, he wasn't in any position to be intolerant as he was a patron, not store management, and couldn't realistically see all those people out.

But yes, he discriminated between black and all the rest of the patrons.

rkell87

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3315049 said:
Most shoplifting arrests are made after they catch the person doing it on camera. I worked at a retail store and I was cool with the LP, so I'd sit in sometimes and watch him work the cameras on a shop-lifter, and then go out and make the detention. Basically all shoplifting stops have a bunch of surveillance of it done beforehand.
i understand this i work in retail currently myself but what im saying is you should be able to stop them after the fact as well, just for an extreme example i can park way away from bestby out of site of the cameras walk in pick out 6 blu-ray movies like a regular shopper then put them in my hoodie and sprint out of the store before anyone realizes whats going and before the security guy can do anything sprint to my car which cant be seen by camera and im good, i think i should be able to be stopped if someone wanted to stop me

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
gmoney112;3315067 said:
Really? I've never heard of that, you did that? I couldn't tell if you meant "this guy" and you were talking about yourself, or actually another guy, haha. My girlfriend works in retail and she tells me all the time about people that steal, and basically if they bolt for the door they can't physically stop them. They usually always get caught because the LP sees them and contacts authorities, but not in the actual store.

Were you/the guy a manager? I think as a line level employee making 7.00/hr I would laugh if I was asked to apprehend someone suspected of stealing. Sure I'll be glad to detain that possibly dangerous suspect! You guys don't even offer health insurance but what's a shanking between an employer/employee relationship?

He was LP and he was making the detentions. Sorry for the confusion.

silverbear

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3314910 said:
So some racism isn't bad then? Apparently there is neutral nonmalignant racism.

It can be nonmalignant, yes...

Is there good racism?

No, no level of racism is "good"... it's something we should recognize in ourselves, and guard against...

I love how you always try and force your worldview on others.

Hey, all I'm doing is expressing my sincere opinion... I believe I have the right to do so in here...

I mean, I know you wish there was some way you could stop that, but I have to think that first they'd want to get rid of the admitted thieves and animal abusers...

silverbear

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3314914 said:
They did turn him over to the state. All because they had to "do something about it".

There was nothing in the article I read about the arrest that suggested WalMart found the kid and turned him over to the law... indeed, there was nothing to suggest they had anything to do with his arrest at all... all I read was that they "cooperated with the investigation"...

Perhaps you could provide some documentation of your assertion that WalMart "turned him over to the state"??

16, dude.

My Dad held me to those standards when I was 16... his age does not justify what he did, period...

And FWIW, he is being charged in juvenile court...