Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Rogah;4234780 said:
Personally I think it's shameful the way the Penn State community has rallied around Paterno like he is some sort of victim here. Of course, I heard there was also a demonstration demanding they fire the current admins, so apparently they don't teach irony at Penn State.

It is shameful and a number of my friends who are also PSU grads don't understand it either. Its nothing but a misplaced sense of pride sprinkled with ignorance. No one should be supporting Joe for his actions (or inactions) regarding this situation.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I actually think the best thing PSU could've done was probably cancel the season.

But...they could be sued for that as well. I think it would say that 'we don't accept this and Joe Paterno and the football team is not bigger than the University.'

I think there's some safety issues as well for the Saturday game. Lots of people on both sides, ticked off.

Firing Joe Pa. was finally that major step in the right direction. While firing the AD and such was a step in the right direction, Joe Pa sent more of a message.

YR

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Right from the start, he should have been given two options: resign with dignity or be fired. Sad that he picked the latter.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4234814 said:
I actually think the best thing PSU could've done was probably cancel the season.

But...they could be sued for that as well. I think it would say that 'we don't accept this and Joe Paterno and the football team is not bigger than the University.'

I think there's some safety issues as well for the Saturday game. Lots of people on both sides, ticked off.

Firing Joe Pa. was finally that major step in the right direction. While firing the AD and such was a step in the right direction, Joe Pa sent more of a message.

YR

Of course you think it sens a bigger message, because you continue to try and make this all about the football program. Why am i not suprised?

Yes, current Penn State football players and coaches and fans should all suffer for a couple men not doing more in the Sandusky situation.

Makes complete sense..

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Either way, he knew he should have done more, and he was prepared to do the right thing and step down.

Sad it had to end like this, but everyone involved has to go.

That said, i don't believe for one second that Joe knew a kid was raped and tried to prevent people from hearing about it in the name of his own legacy. That's about the silliest concept to come out of this entire ordeal, and im not suprised its only coming from a select few on this website.

Rogah

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234819 said:
Of course you think it sens a bigger message, because you continue to try and make this all about the football program. Why am i not suprised?

Yes, current Penn State football players and coaches and fans should all suffer for a couple men not doing more in the Sandusky situation.

Makes complete sense..
I think there's a good chance Nebraska will be the ones making Penn State football players and fans suffer. No way a team can prepare for a football game in the middle of this mess.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I just heard they are rioting in State College right now over this firing.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
if so, that's sad. riot over the campus police doing nothing. riot over eye witnesses doing nothing or riot over adults doing nothing to protect kids. Paterno getting fired is the least sad thing in this entire situation.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234824 said:
I just heard they are rioting in State College right now over this firing.

It wouldn't have been an issue had he done the right and human thing to begin with.

His legacy will be tarnished by this, but he also brought this upon himself.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Rogah;4234822 said:
I think there's a good chance Nebraska will be the ones making Penn State football players and fans suffer. No way a team can prepare for a football game in the middle of this mess.

Ha.. yea idk how realistic of a chance we had anyway. I'd say we're the worst 8-1 team ever.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234825 said:
if so, that's sad. riot over the campus police doing nothing. riot over eye witnesses doing nothing or riot over adults doing nothing to protect kids. Paterno getting fired is the least sad thing in this entire situation.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know anything about what Joe Paterno means to State College.

They know he was made the fall guy because he was simply the most visible.

No investigation implicated Paterno and yet they rush to judgement and fire the guy after he said he would step down.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Avery;4234826 said:
It wouldn't have been an issue had he done the right and human thing to begin with.

Utter Bull****

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Oh what a tangeled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive.

Rogah

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234829 said:
They know he was made the fall guy because he was simply the most visible.
Actually there are 3 fall guys: the man in charge of the football program and the men in charge of the university. But you're right: Paterno is the most visible. So that's why the other 2 men are barely getting a mention.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4234835 said:
Oh what a tangeled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive.

Oh don't act so high and mighty Ohio State fan. Your HC got caught cheating and got removed. Paterno got removed for something someone else did.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Avery;4234826 said:

You really don't believe he thought he was doing the right thing by taking information that he was told about sexual activity and going immediately to his superior and the head of campus police?

CPS should have been informed, but i sincerely believe he thought he did the right thing and he thought they really had investigated the matter as they told him they did. After the lied to him several times, it would be hard to imagine he could have somehow known he was being repeatedly lied to by men he'd worked with for years.

I think after everything settles down, people will start focusing their energy on the people most responsible.. Sandusky, Schultz, Curley, and Spanier. Paterno still contributed to the mess, but he's done so much more good over his entire life for him not going to the right officials to end up being the only thing people remember him for. That won't be how it ends up, imo.

He was told about one incident in this entire string of incidents that occured and he took that information immediately to the people he thought could take care of it. Then when this whole thing played out and he and everyone else learned just how big this thing really was and the full extent of how evil a man and how heinous the crimes that Sandusky committed really were.. he expressed deep regret and he will live with a heavy heart for many years over this. His immediate retirement announcement proved he wanted to do the right thing and step down and try and protect that name of the University.

He isn't the only one shocked in all of this. Everyone coming forward that has ever known Sandusky is completely floored and shocked. Hopefully we can all learn something from everything that ends up transpiring, but for now all of them have to go. McQueary needs to be next.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234840 said:
Oh don't act so high and mighty Ohio State fan. Your HC got caught cheating and got removed. Paterno got removed for something someone else did.

Yeah Tressel covered up for some guys selling their own stuff.

What a Monster.

I would much rather have my coach removed because he put a pedophile ahead of the welfare of children.

:laugh2: