Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's really sad when all day on sports radio and in the media you hear about "Oh Paterno should step down now" or "Paterno should be fired" yet hardly any discussion about the person who witnessed it who not only didn't report it to the police but didn't immediately step in to stop it. Nor was there any discussion about the AD, the president or the board or even worse, the guy who actually committed these horrible acts against those children. No, we get to hear about the 85 year old coach who wasn't involved, never saw anything himself and has been proven guilty by the media and their sheep.

I think the entire board that fired Paterno should be replaced. If you're going to blame everyone in power who could have acted, then they should go as well. They are the ones who hired or signed off on the hires of the people who were either involved or covered it up. If we are truly going to live in a guilty-by-association or guilty-until-proven-innocent society then by all means, let's go all in completely.

Fire everyone including the assistant coaches. Therein lies the rub. You know there are probably one or two assistant coaches that have really been running the team for the last few years that have long been considered possible successors to Paterno so of course they have to protect those guys. If it's a witch hunt the media and fans want, then fire everyone.

#reality

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234825 said:
if so, that's sad. riot over the campus police doing nothing. riot over eye witnesses doing nothing or riot over adults doing nothing to protect kids. Paterno getting fired is the least sad thing in this entire situation.

Yep.

Says it all.

Kids getting raped? Keep it hush.

Ball coach gets fired? Riot.

Blight on society.

YR

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234842 said:
You really don't believe he thought he was doing the right thing by taking information that he was told about sexual activity and going immediately to his superior and the head of campus police?

CPS should have been informed, but i sincerely believe he thought he did the right thing and he thought they really had investigated the matter as they told him they did. After the lied to him several times, it would be hard to imagine he could have somehow known he was being repeatedly lied to by men he'd worked with for years.

I think after everything settles down, people will start focusing their energy on the people most responsible.. Sandusky, Schultz, Curley, and Spanier. Paterno still contributed to the mess, but he's done so much more good over his entire life for him not going to the right officials to end up being the only thing people remember him for. That won't be how it ends up, imo.

He was told about one incident in this entire string of incidents that occured and he took that information immediately to the people he thought could take care of it. Then when this whole thing played out and he and everyone else learned just how big this thing really was and the full extent of how evil a man and how heinous the crimes that Sandusky committed really were.. he expressed deep regret and he will live with a heavy heart for many years over this. His immediate retirement announcement proved he wanted to do the right thing and step down and try and protect that name of the University.

He isn't the only one shocked in all of this. Everyone coming forward that has ever known Sandusky is completely floored and shocked. Hopefully we can all learn something from everything that ends up transpiring, but for now all of them have to go. McQueary needs to be next.

Just forget it. the morons got what they wanted. A guy gets fired for reporting it to the authorities but since he was the HC and since they cant get any satisfaction from the actual criminal being arrested they wanted Joe's head. Well, they got it and should be ashamed of themselves.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Reality;4234845 said:
It's really sad when all day on sports radio and in the media you hear about "Oh Paterno should step down now" or "Paterno should be fired" yet hardly any discussion about the person who witnessed it who not only didn't report it to the police but didn't immediately step in to stop it. Nor was there any discussion about the AD, the president or the board or even worse, the guy who actually committed these horrible acts against those children. No, we get to hear about the 85 year old coach who wasn't involved, never saw anything himself and has been proven guilty by the media and their sheep.

I think the entire board that fired Paterno should be replaced. If you're going to blame everyone in power who could have acted, then they should go as well. They are the ones who hired or signed off on the hires of the people who were either involved or covered it up.

#reality

They'll all get theres in due time.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4234843 said:
Yeah Tressel covered up for some guys selling their own stuff.

What a Monster.

I would much rather have my coach removed because he put a pedophile ahead of the welfare of children.

:laugh2:

It's always been a dirty program. Maurice Clarett anyone?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Reality;4234845 said:

I think the entire board that fired Paterno should be replaced. If you're going to blame everyone in power who could have acted, then they should go as well. They are the ones who hired or signed off on the hires of the people who were either involved or covered it up.

#reality

granted i'm likely in a different state as you, but here, it has gotten plenty of play. I do think he's next

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I'm a Pitt fan and can't stand Paterno. But, I don't get why he had to be fired. Why did the grad student tell the coach? Why didn't the grad student who witnessed the assault call the police himself right when it happened?

Maybe there is more to this story. Was there some sort of coverup?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Reality;4234845 said:
yet hardly any discussion about the person who witnessed it who not only didn't report it to the police but didn't immediately step in to stop it. Nor was there any discussion about the AD, the president or the board or even worse, the guy who actually committed these horrible acts against those children. No, we get to hear about the 85 year old coach who wasn't involved, never saw anything himself and has been proven guilty by the media and their sheep.

#reality

I don't know what radio you've been listening to, but on SiriusXM...Doug Gottleib, Gino, Mad Dog, Ethan, etc....they've gone after everybody involved...from McQueary to Schultz to Curley to Spanier, etc.

Like I said, the vociferous arguments towards Joe Pa are because he's the guy out of the bunch that gets the *ONLY* support.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4234847 said:
Yep.

Says it all.

Blight on society.

YR

Yes, obviously the students at PSU are all about little boys getting raped. You really are just senseless.

So JoePA is fired after going to his AD and head of campus police with information he heard from a witness.. yet the witness himself, and the AD who covered it up and lied about it are still employed.. that my friends, says it all.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4234847 said:
Yep.

Says it all.

Blight on society.

YR

How did Paterno keep it hush? He took it to the authorities.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234853 said:
The moronic part that he brought it on himself.

I'd say he did and he didn't.

He didn't because obviously he isn't the sex offender.

But he did because he played the part of enabler.

The man says he wishes he would have done more. Had he done more, this situation wouldn't even be happening.

His failure to act played it's role.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4234855 said:
I don't know what radio you've been listening to, but on SiriusXM...Doug Gottleib, Gino, Mad Dog, Ethan, etc....they've gone after everybody involved...from McQueary to Schultz to Curley to Spanier, etc.

Like I said, the vociferous arguments towards Joe Pa are because he's the guy out of the bunch that gets the *ONLY* support.

YR

He's the guy who gets the most support because he's the guy who did the most to try and stop it based on the information he had, and yet he's the guy most critisized in the media over it.

I bet you 1000 dollars there are more members of the media who wrote stories in the past week critisizing Joe Paterno than there are members of the media who know how to spell "Sandusky".

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score

YR

That's because he was neither a witness nor covered anything up. He reported it as he was supposed to.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's all I heard on ESPN and the Dan Patrick Show today. Basically, the majority of their discussions were on Paterno yet occasionally they'd throw in a "of course the guy who did it is a horrible person and deserves most of the blame" only to refocus most of their discussions on whether or not Paterno should coach this weekend.

#reality

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234858 said:
Yes, obviously the students at PSU are all about little boys getting raped. You really are just senseless.

So JoePA is fired after going to his AD and head of campus police with information he heard from a witness.. yet the witness himself, and the AD who covered it up and lied about it are still employed.. that my friends, says it all.

you mean the AD on administrative leave? he'll get his

Don Corleone

Reaction score
ninja;4234854 said:
I'm a Pitt fan and can't stand Paterno. But, I don't get why he had to be fired. Why did the grad student tell the coach? Why didn't the grad student who witnessed the assault call the police himself right when it happened?

Maybe there is more to this story. Was there some sort of coverup?

There likely was a coverup. I mean, I know Paterno is old and all, but if he reported it and saw Sandusky day after day for the next 9 years after reporting it, wouldn't he in his mind wonder what ever happened to that allegation?

If you reported a co-worker for doing something like that, and saw him still working with you years after the incident, wouldn't you ask what happened to the allegation?