Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4234924 said:
That's fine. Legal responsibilities and moral obligations aren't always in line.

He did what he thought was right at the time. He reported it to the authorities including the immediate police authorities in the Campus Police head.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Reality;4234937 said:
So Paterno is tried and convicted based on what? The media's articles telling you how to think? Radio commentators telling you how to think? Let's hope you are never targeted.

#reality

Paterno admitted he should have done more. He knew about it before 2002. If you don't believe that, you're blind.

And I think...as long as Sandusky doesn't kill himself...this will be proven.

But, anybody who knows the timeline can put two and two together, unless they are a Paterno fanboy.

YR

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234851 said:
It's always been a dirty program. Maurice Clarett anyone?

Cajun... geez...

NO ONE takes more of the chuckle factor of Ohio State going down than me, but Tressel's issues PALE in comparison to this...

Concord loves Woody, but also said he deserved his fate...

Paterno, much to my chagrin, deserves his...

It's a sad situation for all... MUCH of this could have been avoided by PSU executives, coaches and law...

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
MC KAos;4234940 said:
no, but he was allowed to be around campus and use satellite campuses for his "organization"

..and that was wrong, dead wrong. Has nothing to do with the football program though.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Reality;4234937 said:
So Paterno is tried and convicted based on what? The media's articles telling you how to think? Radio commentators telling you how to think? Let's hope you are never targeted.

#reality

Paterno isn't going to jail. The University has a right to decide if they want a football coach who at the very least didn't do everything he could, within the law, to stop a child predator.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Reality;4234925 said:
And very thankful that is the case .. otherwise we'd be held accountable for every moral belief of others no matter how questionable.

#reality

Unless you are prepared to argue that there is some common moral code where raping pre-adolescent children is seen as ok, this is a useless statement. EVERYBODY believes what Sandusky did was wrong, only Paterno apparently wasnt too upset by it. At least not enough to do what all of us would have done.

Nobody is arguing he should be thrown in jail, only that no tears should be shed for him.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234939 said:
Are you implying that Joe somehow knew for sure that this rape actually took place, even though he never saw it?

Obviously he was given enough information that he felt it was necessary to go to his superiors after meeting face-to-face with the witness.

If the information was credible enough to take even the slightest action, it was credible enough to take all expected actions.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
MC KAos;4234940 said:
no, but he was allowed to be around campus and use satellite campuses for his "organization"

Again, not something that Paterno has anything to do with.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MC KAos;4234941 said:
raping young children is not about moral belief, its heinous no matter who you are or what you believe in.

You cannot read can you? Did you even see what I replied to? Next time take a moment to step off your soap box to see that what I commented on which was a simple "legality not equal to morality" statement.

If some group of nuts tells you that you should never wear red because it's a devil color should you be arrested for it? Use some common sense next time before posting.

#reality

MC KAos

Reaction score
if you are defending paterno, tell me, if you were in his shoes, would you have done the same? or gone to the police?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234947 said:
He did what he thought was right at the time. He reported it to the authorities including the immediate police authorities in the Campus Police head.

That would be a satisfactory response to someone raping your child?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4234945 said:
He acted just far enough to cover his butt legally. Any decent human being does more than he did.

Most men with children would have had a mind to beat the hell out of Sandusky themselves, and you want me to believe he was in the right for not even going to the police? No sir, no gonna fly.

He informed the head of campus police, as it was an incident that occured on campus.

Again, his only infraction here was expecting those above him to do their jobs and not go to CPS or a higher authority himself.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
trickblue;4234949 said:
Cajun... geez...

NO ONE takes more of the chuckle factor of Ohio State going down than me, but Tressel's issues PALE in comparison to this...

Concord loves Woody, but also said he deserved his fate...

Paterno, much to my chagrin, deserves his...

It's a sad situation for all... MUCH of this could have been avoided by PSU executives, coaches and law...

Paterno did nothing illegal.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4234959 said:

What did you want him to do? Go beat Sandusky up? What else are you supposed to do besides report the information given to you to police and your superiors?

How was he supposed to know that they lied to him in saying that nothing serious had occured?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234930 said:
The30YardSlant;4234919 said:
Odds are there is some truth to this. The bottom line however is that Pateno did not fulfill a basic human obligation, and while he certainly is not the only one to blame and making him out to be the lone scapegoat is wrong, he doesnt deserve to be remembered for anything else now. The man didnt pay football players or lie to the NCAA about boosters, he helped allow one of the most heinous crimes possible to keep occuring, and for what?[/QUOTE]

I agree with Reality. Please don't have children.

I sincerely hope you and Reality do not have children if your views are as you make them out to be here. How sick do you have to be to call yourself a father and then defend a man whose actions allowed a child molester to keep at it for another decade?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4234944 said:
He used a foundation he set up to get close to these kids, bought them things, took them to games and such.

Those kids were there to get raped, brought there by Sandusky. Simple, premeditated and absolutely horrific.

And there are some people here who claim Sandusky 'was no longer part of the program'. This despite:

- having an office in the sports department.
- giving kids free tix to Penn State games
- taking kids to football practices...on the sidelines.
- taking kids into the locker rooms.
- showering with kids in the football locker room
- continuing to run the 2nd Mile *football* program, which Joe Paterno is a member of the board.

That's probably the toughest part to get around. Not only was he not arrested, but they allowed him to keep the things that he used to entice his prey and then rape his pray on those grounds.

But...he wasnt's a part of the football program and Paterno had no control over it :rolleyes:

YR

MC KAos

Reaction score
Reality;4234957 said:
You cannot read can you? Did you even see what I replied to? Next time take a moment to step off your soap box to see that what I commented on which was a simple "legality not equal to morality" statement.

If some group of nuts tells you that you should never wear red because it's a devil color should you be arrested for it? Use some common sense next time before posting.

#reality

thanks for insulting me for no reason, all i said was that in this case, your post doesnt apply

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4234959 said:

No, he should have gone to the cops. I have said that from the start. But that doesn't mean he HAD to go to the cops. As a matter of fact, he did go to what was the cops on campus. They are the first unit to respond to on campus crimes. Unfortunately, the head of the campus police did nothing.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4234955 said:
Obviously he was given enough information that he felt it was necessary to go to his superiors after meeting face-to-face with the witness.

If the information was credible enough to take even the slightest action, it was credible enough to take all expected actions.

..and again, what other actions were expected besides taking this information to your superiors in the university administration and the head of the campus police?