Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4234989 said:
Why would anyone still want Paterno to be the coach when even Paterno says he did not do enough?

Why should he still be the coach?

We aren't talking recruiting violations or the such.

This is disgusting child molestation.

The school had to begin somewhere to cleanse this stain.

Which Paterno didn't do.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4234992 said:
Joe Paterno was possibly the most revered man in college athletics before last week. You really think the media would ruin him for laughs?

Yep, they do it every week.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Reality;4234991 said:
How do you know he deserves it? All you know is what the media has told you. You do not know the facts yet, neither do I. You take action against those who are or will be charged, not those whom the police have said they are not charging. You then wait until all of the facts come out for the other non-charged people to see if their actions, or in this case, alleged in-action were either inappropriate or inexcusable and THEN you act on it. Doing it now serves as nothing more than a media created and driven mob.

#reality

If this was Lane Kiffin or someone else who is maligned in the media, maybe. But Joe Paterno is a God, the benchmark of decency in coaching to millions. The media isnt out to get him.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4234993 said:
Obviously he didn't have to.

Also obvious he should have.

And when nothing comes of what I believe to be credible information regarding a pedophile, I'd go to the city police. And if nothing happened there, I'd go above them.

When the results of such a situation (Especially when the results and expectations are so disgustingly separated) don't match your expectations, what do you do? Give up?

We are on a circular track here. He should have gone to the cops. He went to the authorities who per university policy he was supposed to go to. Which included the Campus police. They lied to him. Geez, why can't this get through the thick heads.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234973 said:
it wouldn't strike you as odd to run into him on campus every now and then? Didn't he go to a practice with a boy in 07'?

You would keep assuming that they told you the truth?

If they told me the truth that those allegations hadn't been true, why wouldn't he be allowed on campus?

MC KAos

Reaction score
its pretty evident this is an explosive topic here in a cowboys board with almost no penn state fans. i just hope those kids keep their cool on campus. I hope now that paterno is not working for the school he has his own press conference and tell his side of his story

BlueStar3398

Reaction score
I am too emotional about this. I read the Grand Jury Indictment and it made my blood boil. That guy saw that child being raped and didn't help him. He should have called 911 so he could have been taken to the ER for a forensic exam. He needed help!! And no one helped him! WHY? I can't wrap my mind around that!!

MC KAos

Reaction score
anyone know when sandusky will have a trial or what situation is at the moment?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4234995 said:
Cajuncowboy;4234976 said:
What would you call it? A woeful indifference to children being molested?

I call it a failure of the system. I call it being lied to by his superiors. I call it an old man doing what he was supposed to do. Did he go far enough? No.

But remember, Joe wasn't even a witness. He was just a middle man in getting the story to his superiors.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Finally, Penn State does the right thing and fires him. 10 years too late. At least he had the decency to admit he should've done more. Really? You need hindsight to acknowledge that you should take an eyewitness account of child molestation seriously? And yet you weren't bothered by the accused molester bringing young children to your practices over the years?

Paterno's legacy is forever tainted. And it should be.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4235001 said:
We are on a circular track here. He should have gone to the cops. He went to the authorities who per university policy he was supposed to go to. Which included the Campus police. They lied to him. Geez, why can't this get through the thick heads.

Because it obviously wasn't enough and he knew it wasn't enough and has admitted as much.

MC KAos

Reaction score
BlueStar3398;4235006 said:
I am too emotional about this. I read the Grand Jury Indictment and it made my blood boil. That guy saw that child being raped and didn't help him. He should have called 911 so he could have been taken to the ER for a forensic exam. He needed help!! And no one helped him! WHY? I can't wrap my mind around that!!

i have a 3 year old son and believe me, when i read about it i wanted to punch a hole in my wall, its so disgusting what people are capable of to the most innocent, vulnerable and fragile members of our society

Hoofbite

Reaction score
If anyone thinks this is as bad as the story is going to get, you better get prepared.

I think it's possible this story gets A LOT worse both in number of victims and the extent to which his actions were brought to the attention of the university.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4234995 said:
I call it a failure of the system. I call it being lied to by his superiors. I call it an old man doing what he was supposed to do. Did he go far enough? No.

But remember, Joe wasn't even a witness. He was just a middle man in getting the story to his superiors.

There is no middle man when someone you know comes to you and says "I saw a man raping a ten year old boy in the same building we are currently standing in".

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The30YardSlant;4234992 said:
Joe Paterno was possibly the most revered man in college athletics before last week. You really think the media would ruin him for laughs?

You never listen to sports radio apparently. I don't even care for the man yet I've heard the media the last two years say that Paterno should step down because of his age and I remember commentators saying things like "If he really cared for the university, he would step down" during that same period. Not because of anything bad but just because he's old and the in-thing these days is every team needs a new coach every few years.

The funny thing is I don't like Penn State at all. In fact, I do not like any team located in Pennsylvania in any sport. I have no emotion tied up whether Paterno stays or goes, I just despise the media because the media controls everyone these days by spewing opinions as facts and slanting quotes and comments out of context in order to herd the sheep together to do their bidding.

It's the reality tv generation where society desperately needs to see other people fail in order to feel better about themselves in some way. I believe that people should be proven guilty before convicted and I believe that if people are charged then at that time they should be suspended or fired from whatever it is they do. Punishing people simply at the direction of the media is a dangerous precedent and even worse is the the fact that some people will so blindly follow and vigorously do their bidding is just sad and pathetic.

#reality

MC KAos

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4235014 said:
If anyone thinks this is as bad as the story is going to get, you better get prepared.

I think it's possible this story gets A LOT worse both in number of victims and the extent to which his actions were brought to the attention of the university.

matt millen said the same thing, and i agree with both of you, this is going to get BAD!

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4234952 said:
Unless you are prepared to argue that there is some common moral code where raping pre-adolescent children is seen as ok, this is a useless statement. EVERYBODY believes what Sandusky did was wrong, only Paterno apparently wasnt too upset by it. At least not enough to do what all of us would have done.

Nobody is arguing he should be thrown in jail, only that no tears should be shed for him.

You have no idea what you're talking about if you don't think that all of this is weighing on Joe. All of us would have done what he did (i hope), immediately alert our superiors if it happened at our place of business and alert the local police force.

Yet one of the people who lied about the whole thing and clearly tried to cover it up is still employed by the university.. as is the eye witness who actually saw everything and did nothing to stop it or to alert the police.