Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4235121 said:
Maybe by the fact that Sandusky wasn't arrested and imprisoned for being a pedophile.

You'd think that the information he had and relayed had to be pretty significant if he went to his superiors and campus police, wouldn't it?

The information given to him was that a grad student saw a man raping a child. Just because that was told to him, doesn't mean it happened. That was the job of those that Joe informed to find out. It doesn't mean they would lock Sandusky up right away, it means they would investigate the allegations and see if they are true or not.. which Joe was told they did.

Either way.. this is all silly. Right now the talk should be about how evil Sandusky is and how much we should be mourning for the victims, and maybe secondary would be those who tried to cover up the information they were given.

Yet all the talk here, and all the talk all over the country is about Joe Paterno. Its silly, and foolish, and disturbing.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4235121 said:
Maybe by the fact that Sandusky wasn't arrested and imprisoned for being a pedophile.

You'd think that the information he had and relayed had to be pretty significant if he went to his superiors and campus police, wouldn't it?

What happened in 1998 when the police got involved?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4235073 said:
Paterno's is the most relevant because it's the middle of football season. They couldnt afford to have him out on the sideline on national TV coaching a football game.

..and this is the problem. Everyone turns right to Joe and the fooball program even though the man who committed the acts wasn't employed or involved with anyone in the current football program whatsoever.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Reality;4235028 said:
That's because the media is more focused on the popular target, not the ones who deserve the focus of media driven hatred. That was my point from the beginning. "Go after the name, who cares about the rest" is the media's philosophy.

#reality

No question about it.. even though the "popular target" is the one who did more to stop the criminal than anyone else said to be involved based on what we know so far.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Well folks, that's all for me tonight. Try not to hang Joe before the trial.

g'nite!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4235126 said:
What happened in 1998 when the police got involved?

As you said earlier, it's possible they couldn't act on the limited information they had.

Or, you're right. The entire corrupt system was out to protect a pedophile for a specified number of years and then come back to get him 10-fold over a decade later.

And lets just entertain the thought that the police had sufficient evidence and failed to do so for whatever reason.

If Paterno didn't know about the 1998 incident (you don't think he did, correct?), he wouldn't have known the police failed to act. Why would their failure in 1998 have any bearing on his decision process 4-5 years later if he never knew of it?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4235110 said:
Those that think he is the villian are the ones I am talking about. The ones who say he helped rape the kids. The ones who think for some some bizarre reason that Paterno is the judge, jury and executioner at Penn State.

Those are the ones I am talking about.

I've never considered him a villain, but I do consider him short-sighted and responsible for some things he could have changed...

I've never considered him on the level of Sandusky... in ANY universe... but he COULD have possibly avoided the pain of some young boys. I think that is what he is dealing with right now...

As I said, I think he knew of the '98 atrocity and that's why he basically dismissed him. I think when the '92 incident came up he was pretty much done with Sandusky and wanted to wash his hands of anything to do with Sandusky. I can't blame him for that in any way... unfortunately others were affected...

That's how I see it after reading a lot of info...

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4235134 said:
As you said earlier, it's possible they couldn't act on the limited information they had.

Or, you're right. The entire corrupt system was out to protect a pedophile for a specified number of years and then come back to get him 10-fold over a decade later.

And lets just entertain the thought that the police had sufficient evidence and failed to do so for whatever reason.

If Paterno didn't know about the 1998 incident (you don't think he did, correct?), he wouldn't have known the police failed to act. Why would their failure in 1998 have any bearing on his decision process 4-5 years later if he never knew of it?

Limited information?

A guy telling local police and a child pretective services agent that he took a shower with a little boy is limited information?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4235144 said:
Limited information?

A guy telling local police and a child pretective services agent that he took a shower with a little boy is limited information?

I should have said limited evidence.

If they couldn't gather enough to make a case out of it, theres not much they can do.

trickblue

Reaction score
2233boys;4235149 said:

Just heard on the news he will not finish out the season... he coached his last game two weeks ago... fired...

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue;4235151 said:
Just heard on the news he will not finish out the season... he coached his last game two weeks ago... fired...

You just heard it? It was reported at 10 p.m. eastern time.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4235147 said:
I should have said limited evidence.

If they couldn't gather enough to make a case out of it, theres not much they can do.

Im pretty sure an admittance of guilt IS the case man.

Yet all they said to him was, "Don't do it again, ok?"

"Ok, i won't do it again."

"Ok, move along, sir."

Its pathetic. This was a systematic failure, there were probably at least 100 people who could have stopped some of this from happening, yet here we sit all focued on one man..

and not even the man who performed all these heinous acts, either. Its just silly.

trickblue

Reaction score
2233boys;4235156 said:
You just heard it? It was reported at 10 p.m. eastern time.

Could have been... I was watching CMA's with my lovely daughter so news was delayed...

My apologies...

BTW... I was bored out of my MIND, but I had some time with my baby girl... makes it worth it... :)

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4235158 said:
Im pretty sure an admittance of guilt IS the case man.

not in this situation. admitting he showered/made contact with the boy likely wouldn't even be enough to go to trial with. If it was recorded *AND* that recording was admissable in court, then yes that is the case.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4235171 said:
not in this situation. admitting he showered/made contact with the boy likely wouldn't even be enough to go to trial with. If it was recorded *AND* that recording was admissable in court, then yes that is the case.

If I am not mistaken the mother made the call with police present. I could be wrong though.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
2233boys;4235173 said:
If I am not mistaken the mother made the call with police present. I could be wrong though.

I believe she did, but there's no way that would hold up in court. Possibly enough to drag his name through the mud, which would've been worth it, but there's no way you're convicting anyone with only that as evidence.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue;4235168 said:
Could have been... I was watching CMA's with my lovely daughter so news was delayed...

My apologies...

BTW... I was bored out of my MIND, but I had some time with my baby girl... makes it worth it... :)

They interrupted the CMA's here or at least that was what my Mother-in-law said when she called to tell us. It was bigger news then when Regan got shot, MJ died, Kennedy assassination, and Man landing on the Moon.