Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I can't explain this behavior unless Joe Pa thought he and PSU reached God like status and were delusional

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
2233boys;4235182 said:
They interrupted the CMA's here or at least that was what my Mother-in-law said when she called to tell us. It was bigger news then when Regan got shot, MJ died, Kennedy assassination, and Man landing on the Moon.

No interrupt here...

I have a story about Reagan being shot... but I won't tell it here...

Rogah

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4235134 said:
As you said earlier, it's possible they couldn't act on the limited information they had.
My theory - and I totally admit this is just speculation - is that oftentimes in these cases authorities decide it is best for all involved (especially the victim, who's concerns are paramount) to not go through the ugliness of a full trial for what will likely result in a light sentence or probation. I consider a naked 55 year old hugging a naked 10 year old to be absolutely reprehensible but it may not rise to the level of sentencing the perpetrator to any real prison time, especially since it would be his first offense (of course, when I say "first offense" I mean the first time he was caught and tried... I don't believe for a second it was truly his "first offense").

I'm not entirely sure that Sandusky's statements taped by the police would have been admissible, but that's an totally different matter.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234915 said:
You referred to the university as "Pedophile U". You'd be best to just stop while you're behind.

That's mild compared to what's coming in stadiums they visit.

You better get a thicker skin.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
From a CBS news story:

A source close to former Penn State Football Coach Joe Paterno tells CBS News chief investigative correspondent Armen Keteyian that the Paterno family is shocked and outraged over the university's handling of the firing.

The source claims Surma lied at the press conference announcing Paterno's firing when he said the board had informed Paterno by phone about its decision to terminate the head coach after 46 seasons.

Instead, the source claims a university employee hand-delivered a letter about the firing to the family home a mere 15 minutes prior to the press conference. According to the source, the reason for the letter was that the university employee said the board was unable to locate Paterno during the day.

The legendary football coach allegedly said upon hearing the news: "You give your life to this place and that's how you're treated."

That last sentence... :rolleyes:

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
trickblue;4234949 said:
Cajun... geez...

NO ONE takes more of the chuckle factor of Ohio State going down than me, but Tressel's issues PALE in comparison to this...

Concord loves Woody, but also said he deserved his fate...

Paterno, much to my chagrin, deserves his...

It's a sad situation for all... MUCH of this could have been avoided by PSU executives, coaches and law...

Did I mention that Charlie Bauman is a no damn good bum?

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4235194 said:
From a CBS news story:

A source close to former Penn State Football Coach Joe Paterno tells CBS News chief investigative correspondent Armen Keteyian that the Paterno family is shocked and outraged over the university's handling of the firing.

The source claims Surma lied at the press conference announcing Paterno's firing when he said the board had informed Paterno by phone about its decision to terminate the head coach after 46 seasons.

Instead, the source claims a university employee hand-delivered a letter about the firing to the family home a mere 15 minutes prior to the press conference. According to the source, the reason for the letter was that the university employee said the board was unable to locate Paterno during the day.

The legendary football coach allegedly said upon hearing the news: "You give your life to this place and that's how you're treated."

That last sentence... :rolleyes:

How was that boy treated in the shower Joe?

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Joe Paterno is and was a great man. This won't change that, but it will change the perception of that. Unfortunately he didn't do what he should have done in this situation and that will overshadow everything he's done in his career. This entire situation saddens me to no end.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I read the Grand jury report, but it didn't mention where the 20 kids came from. They all came forward after the fact?

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
I feel extremely bad for everyone involved except for that devil Sandusky, he's going to hell.

Joe Paterno was a good man and I feel that his "legend" overtook itself and became some entity on its own. I believe people took advantage of his age and a snowball turned into an avalanche.

The University had no option in this situation, but that is not a guilty-association against Paterno. I believe he will still not face any criminal charges. The problem is that they still fired him. Which means that something will probably come up that he is accountable for his individual actions regarding this matter legally.

I have honestly WORSHIPED Joe Paterno through his career. I may not be a Penn State fan through and through, but I really respected him as a coach and mentor. I am very saddened by this situation.

Jed_70

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234859 said:
How did Paterno keep it hush? He took it to the authorities.

You keep saying he took it to "authorities" and that's simply not true. Telling you supervisor is not the same as reporting it to the police.

We are talking about a child being sexually abused not some players who were caught taking money from boosters.

Sexual assault charges need to be forwarded to the "proper" authorities so that professionally trained personnel can determine the validity of the charges. It's not up to Paterno, the President, the AD, etc. to conduct an investigation to determine if the charges are valid.

Obviously you're a Joepa fan boy who refuses to accept that Paterno was flat out wrong for not reporting this to the police.

And I know what you'll probably say, "But Joe said he didn't know the severity of the accusations."

Doesn't matter. He knew enough to understand that something wasn't right.

According to the grand jury report Paterno testified that he understood that Sandusky was doing something inappropriate and was fondling a young boy.

Even if you didn't know the "specifics", as he's claimed, his understanding was enough that he should have took action.

tko112204

Reaction score
Probably the worst excuse to "protest" in history...

Just deplorable.

Trying to convince myself "they're just kids" and "they don't know any better" but good lord, get some perspective.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4235193 said:
That's mild compared to what's coming in stadiums they visit.

You better get a thicker skin.

Its not me you should worry about, its yourself. Joking around about a man raping little boys.. wow, is all i can say.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;4235206 said:
Joe Paterno is and was a great man. This won't change that, but it will change the perception of that. Unfortunately he didn't do what he should have done in this situation and that will overshadow everything he's done in his career. This entire situation saddens me to no end.

On the other hand, if his superiors and the local police do their jobs.. it ends up he DID do what he should have done, and none of this happens. Again, his mistake was trusting people above him to do their damn jobs.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4235171 said:
not in this situation. admitting he showered/made contact with the boy likely wouldn't even be enough to go to trial with. If it was recorded *AND* that recording was admissable in court, then yes that is the case.

He admitted it to local police and a state welfare agent. Its about as cut and dry as it gets man. They simply told him not to do it again, and no charges were ever filed. Its ridiculous.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
So according to the board of trustees.. the man who reported the information he received immediately to his superior, the AD, and to the head of the local jurisdictional police force.. must be fired immediately.

However, the man who received this information and has been shown to lie about it and cover it up.. stays on salary, as well as the 28 year old eye witness who saw the rape taking place and did nothing but run away and tell his daddy.

UN-F'ING-REAL!

The board clearly doesn't give a crap about the welfare of these children that were hurt.. they care about saving face and getting rid of the PR nightmare. I guess PSU might as well continue to handle this entire situation as horribly as they have all along.

Randy White

Reaction score
finished reading the 23 page indictement. I know the popular sentiment is to crucify Paterno, and to a certain extent, it's well deserved. However, if you haven't read the indictment, I suggest you do and you'll see that Paterno was just one of many. Granted, he was in charge, anybody who disputes that is either ignorant or doesn't want to face the truth, so the buck stopped with him. Nevertheless, this was a systematically institutional failure that included even law enforcement. A janitor saw it first hand and he didn't call the cops either for fear of losing his job even though he did reported it to his supervisors who did the exact same thing that Paterno did.

Paterno is guilty of voluntary ignorance. He DID NOT want to lead when the time came. He betrayed everything he preached to his players and stood for all those decades with that single act. He just did not want to face the problem so he " kicked it upstairs " and let others deal with it in an incredibly irresponsible hope that it would just go away. But he wasn't alone. That's not an excuse, that's not a defense of him ( I'm not a Penn St fan), it's just reality and an explanation.

There's no question that the university did the right thing. Until a few days ago, I was in favor of him finishing the season and get out of town with whatever dignity he had left, but this was the right move. Perhaps a few years from now, perhaps after he passes away, history will be kinder to his legacy than reality is at this moment, considering all the good he's done in his life. Nevertheless until that time comes, he will have to go through the gauntlet of public opinion and he deserves whatever comes with it. My message to all of you, however, is not to dish out unproportioned and unjust punishment and/or judgement. His failure of leadership when it was most needed is preposterously sad and inexcusable, considering the crime and the victims, but he did not commit it nor encouraged it.

Let's not make an already horrible situation, worse.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Randy White;4235275 said:
finished reading the 23 page indictement. I know the popular sentiment is to crucify Paterno, and to a certain extent, it's well deserved. However, if you haven't read the indictment, I suggest you do and you'll see that Paterno was just one of many. Granted, he was in charge, anybody who disputes that is either ignorant or doesn't want to face the truth, so the buck stopped with him. Nevertheless, this was a systematically institutional failure that included even law enforcement. A janitor saw it first hand and he didn't call the cops either for fear of losing his job even though he did reported it to his supervisors who did the exact same thing that Paterno did.

Paterno is guilty of voluntary ignorance. He DID NOT want to lead when the time came. He betrayed everything he preached to his players and stood for all those decades with that single act. He just did not want to face the problem so he " kicked it upstairs " and let others deal with it in an incredibly irresponsible hope that it would just go away. But he wasn't alone. That's not an excuse, that's not a defense of him ( I'm not a Penn St fan), it's just reality and an explanation.

There's no question that the university did the right thing. Until a few days ago, I was in favor of him finishing the season and get out of town with whatever dignity he had left, but this was the right move. Perhaps a few years from now, perhaps after he passes away, history will be kinder to his legacy than reality is at this moment, considering all the good he's done in his life. Nevertheless until that time comes, he will have to go through the gauntlet of public opinion and he deserves whatever comes with it. My message to all of you, however, is not to dish out unproportioned and unjust punishment and/or judgement. His failure of leadership when it was most needed is preposterously sad and inexcusable, considering the crime and the victims, but he did not commit it nor encouraged it.

Let's not make an already horrible situation, worse.

While i appriciate the rational approach you took here in reading the entire testimony and coming to a pretty reasonable conclusion based on all that you read.. i have to disagree that the BoT handled this the correct way.

Why is it that the man who is the only one in this case who took the information he was given immediately to his superior and to the head of the local police the one who needs to be fired immediately?

Yet the athletic director who lied about an "investigation" to Joe and also lied about the supposed "results" of that investigation in leading Joe to believe they had looked into it and found nothing inappropriate had happened, and then also lied about his cover up in his testimony.. allowed to remain employed and salaried by the university?

It simply makes no sense at all. If anyone did anything remotely close to the right thing in this entire situation, from McQueary, to Joe, to the AD, to Schultz, to Spanier, to law enforcement, to the State Welfare agency even.. it was Joe. He took the information he was given and went right to his superior since it happened in the workplace, and also went right to the head of campus police, the local police who had jurisdiction since the action took place on campus. Yet he is the one crucified the most in all of this. Its not right, and its not fitting of the type of person that he is.

Randy White

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234736 said:
Nowhere is Joe the "judge, jury, and executioner" and to be honest, this entire situation has very little to do at all with the football program, as Sandusky wasn't even associated with it or employed by them at all when these incidents took place. Keep buying into the media circus act of this being mainly an issue involving Joe Paterno and PSU football. Its good comedy.

That's at least misleading, if not ignorant.

Sandusky not only was still associated with the program, he had an office in it's main building, e-mail accounts, traveled with the team, ate with the team, was at practices, and had access to everything within that building and lockerrooom. It was part of his retirement package.