Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

Randy White

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4235278 said:
Why is it that the man who is the only one in this case who took the information he was given immediately to his superior and to the head of the local police the one who needs to be fired immediately?

Because HE was in charge. The football program, the entire athletic department, was under his thumb and as I stated earlier, the buck stops with him, not his " supervisors " who we both know weren't really that.

The first thing he should have done was confront Sandusky and put him on an immediate suspencion, pending an investigation. His next step should have been contacting the police department and opening up a report informing them that he will be making himself, every single player, coach, team manager, and supporting personnel available for questioning. And then inform the university president and the board, and whomever else that needs afterwards.

All of that could have been done within 30 minutes, 45 minutes tops.

Had he done that, not only would there not been anymore victims, but he would have been canonized then as oppossed to crucified today.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Randy White;4235280 said:
Because HE was in charge. The football program, the entire athletic department, was under his thumb and as I stated earlier, the buck stops with him, not his " supervisors " who we both know weren't really that.

The first thing he should have done was confront Sandusky and put him on an immediate suspencion, pending an investigation. His next step should have been contacting the police department and opening up a report informing them that he will be making himself, every single player, coach, team manager, and supporting personnel available for questioning. And then inform the university president and the board, and whomever else that needs afterwards.

All of that could have been done within 30 minutes, 45 minutes tops.

Had he done that, not only would there not been anymore victims, but he would have been canonized then as oppossed to crucified today.

Everything in this post is wrong.. i don't know where to even start, its just wrong.

You can't suspend someone who isn't working for you. Confronting Sandusky would have served no purpose. He did go to the police, as well as his superior in the workplace since that is where the alleged offense took place. Finally, had the police investigated, there is still no guarentee that there wouldn't have been more victims, as the police and the state public welfare agency both knew of Sandusky showering with a young boy in 98 and no charges were ever filed and no further investigation was conducted by the state even after an admittance of guilt.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
From an ESPN article this morning:

Told by a graduate assistant in 2002 that former Nittany Lions defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky had sexually assaulted a boy, believed to be 10 years old, in the showers of Penn State's football complex, Paterno did nothing more than inform athletics director Tim Curley and university vice president Gary Schultz of the allegations. Paterno never personally called police. His son, Scott Paterno, told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Wednesday that his father never even asked Sandusky -- his assistant coach for three decades and who was once considered his heir apparent -- about the incident....

In a statement released by his family on Wednesday morning, Paterno said he would finally step aside after coaching the No. 12 Nittany Lions in their last three-regular season games and then potentially in the Big Ten championship game and a postseason bowl game. Paterno, who guided the Nittany Lions to two national championships, wanted one more shot at a title.

"At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status," Paterno said in the statement. "They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

The easiest and best decision for Penn State would have been for Paterno to retire immediately on his own. Instead, Paterno ignored the greater good of the university he professed to love -- and more importantly the well being of the eight known victims and their families -- by selfishly trying to coach the Nittany Lions in a few more games.

Could you imagine the victims' horror if Paterno -- who all but ignored the sickening actions of their alleged predator -- had been cheered in his final home game against Nebraska at Beaver Stadium on Saturday? Could you imagine the victims' horror if Paterno had been carried off on his players' shoulders after winning the inaugural Big Ten championship game in Indianapolis on Dec. 3?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4235194 said:
From a CBS news story:

A source close to former Penn State Football Coach Joe Paterno tells CBS News chief investigative correspondent Armen Keteyian that the Paterno family is shocked and outraged over the university's handling of the firing.

The source claims Surma lied at the press conference announcing Paterno's firing when he said the board had informed Paterno by phone about its decision to terminate the head coach after 46 seasons.

Instead, the source claims a university employee hand-delivered a letter about the firing to the family home a mere 15 minutes prior to the press conference. According to the source, the reason for the letter was that the university employee said the board was unable to locate Paterno during the day.

The legendary football coach allegedly said upon hearing the news: "You give your life to this place and that's how you're treated."

That last sentence... :rolleyes:
If that last comment is correct, then good riddance. Paterno enabled a child molester. And then expected to be allowed to coach in the Big 10 championship game. That would be a nice visual for the victims and their families. What a selfish, old *******.

In spite of what Paterno and Penn St apologists are saying in this thread, Paterno is very much a villian.

McQuery should be fired immediately. Should have already been fired.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;4235247 said:
Clean up your own house, Mr Tressel and Mr Hayes

Stupid...just freaking stupid.

The day that those two are in any way connected to a pedophile...let me know and then you might have a valid point.

Until then...Stupid.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4235265 said:
Its not me you should worry about, its yourself. Joking around about a man raping little boys.. wow, is all i can say.

Whatever...go crawl up Joe Pa's butt some more.

He's the one you should be mad at.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4235297 said:
Stupid...just freaking stupid.

The day that those two are in any way connected to a pedophile...let me know and then you might have a valid point.

Until then...Stupid.
Yet, will the NCAA do anything? IMO, the NCAA needs to investigate PSU, and if all of this is true, there should be major penalties for PSU. Far more than some guys getting tatoos brought to OSU.

Mike Greenberg on Mike and Mike just now: "I don't know how anyone can read the grand jury indictment, and not use the word enabled." (when discussing those upset about Paterno's firing)

I couldn't agree more.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4235293 said:
His son, Scott Paterno, told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Wednesday that his father never even asked Sandusky -- his assistant coach for three decades and who was once considered his heir apparent -- about the incident....

Well...he did do all he could do.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4235302 said:
Yet, will the NCAA do anything? IMO, the NCAA needs to investigate PSU, and if all of this is true, there should be major penalties for PSU. Far more than some guys getting tatoos brought to OSU.

Mike Greenberg on Mike and Mike just now: "I don't know how anyone can read the grand jury indictment, and not use the word enabled." (when discussing those upset about Paterno's firing)

I couldn't agree more.

Tattoo's vs a Pedophile?

If you really just let that sink in for a moment...anyone with one brain cell will see how utterly ridiculous it is to compare the two.

But Tressel broke NCAA rules...I don't know what NCAA rule Paterno would have broke.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4235302 said:

I couldn't agree more.

The NCAA can't make up rules to punish PSU. The issues at PSU aren't under their jurisdiction. However, the Department of Education could very likely come down hard on PSU.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
2233boys;4235307 said:
The NCAA can't make up rules to punish PSU. The issues at PSU aren't under their jurisdiction. However, the Department of Education could very likely come down hard on PSU.

There aren't general rules of conduct in the NCAA? I have no idea. PSU enabled a pedophile, allowed him to attend practices while ushering future potential victims.

It's a joke for the NCAA to do nothing about that, while putting sanctions on schools for insignificant recruiting violations.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4235311 said:
There aren't general rules of conduct in the NCAA? I have no idea. PSU enabled a pedophile, allowed him to attend practices while ushering future potential victims.

It's a joke for the NCAA to do nothing about that, while putting sanctions on schools for insignificant recruiting violations.

Sundusky had nothing to do with the athletic department or football program. The NCAA deals with athletics.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
He was the "official" head coach, but in truth, he was little more than a mascot in the end.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
ZeroClub;4235321 said:
He was the "official" head coach, but in truth, he was little more than a mascot in the end.

All plays during the game came from him on offense. Believe that if you like

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4235217 said:
I read the Grand jury report, but it didn't mention where the 20 kids came from. They all came forward after the fact?

They initially stated that there were 8 victims. They then pleaded with any other victims to come forward and provided a phone number for them to call. There are reports that now up to 20 victims have come forward. They recently had an official *9th* victim come forward.

The 2nd Mile program was developed by Sandusky in 1977. The first victim was in contact with Sandusky back in '95-ish. So, almost 20 years unaccounted for.

They'll likely never get all of the victims.

YR

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
ZeroClub;4235321 said:

No doubt.

It was time for Penn St to move on anyway.

I think Penn St has wanted to replace him for awhile but obviously didn't want to deal with the fallout that would have happened it they did replace him and he didn't want to go.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Double Trouble
His son, Scott Paterno, told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Wednesday that his father never even asked Sandusky -- his assistant coach for three decades and who was once considered his heir apparent -- about the incident....

It's incredible how Paterno's own words come back to haunt him.

This only indicts his knowledge of the fact before 2002 even more. Which they try to claim 'he knew nothing before 2002.'

Give me a break.

When this serious of an accusation comes across to you about a friend of yours for over 30 years that you have worked side-by-side with for over 30 years...you just don't report it to the athletic director and never ask the guy about it.

That's unless you knew beforehand that this guy had incidents of molesting children and when told the story, you immediately believed it.

YR

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4235056 said:
A old guy with irrefutable reputation "follows chain of command" and he's fine.

A random graduate student does the same and he's some sort of slime ball?

only the grad student had the chance to stop the violence that was happening.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Alright after reading here, listening to the news reports, and reading I've been left with a couple of things that I simply can not shake at this point.

I'm angry with both the GA and Joe Paterno. Very angry in fact.

First off if you're that GA, if you walk in and see an adult having sex (let that sink in folks even more than I'm sure it already has) with a 10 year old why in the hell didn't you physically stop it right there?

Why did this guy do nothing but walk off and go call his dad on the phone? WTH? Are you serious? You need to get advice from someone else about a grown man, an adult, an authority figure having sex with a 10 year old boy? Are you freaking kidding me?

That's his first major mistake. It's certainly not his only one. And his other one is also where i'm extremely angry with Joe Paterno as well.

After they reported this to the University, did their bare minimum that they had to do, they watched for YEARS while this guy, who the GA saw, with his own two eyes, having sex with a 10 year old boy, continue to be allowed to come to the Penn State practices, to the facilities, to all this stuff. They sat by and watched as he contined to work with young children through the charity. A charity that Joe Paterno is on the friggen board of.

So at this point don't tell me about they did what they were supposed to. Don't tell me about how they did nothing wrong. Don't tell me that they didn't know he was always around.

Freaking Penn State has had at least one player, LB Paul P. (I can't spell his name), admit to Mike Greenberg that Sandusky was around all the time at their practices and stuff.

This GA and Joe KNEW he was always around. They knew he was being given access to things a person like that should not have been given access to. Yet they did NOTHING. They never followed up. They never went to the police themselves and asked if this had been reported, what was being done, showed any concern for the lives of these children.

That's sick. It's absolutely disgusting.

Joe Paterno didn't rape any of these kids himself, and people can say he didn't go out and hand pick kids for Jerry Sandusky, and you'd be right. Joe didn't rape them, and he didn't pick out ones and give them to this guy, but in sitting by, quiet, and doing nothing but the bare minimum he had to do in 1998 and 2002, he basically silently gave Sandusky the free reign he needed to continue his disgusting, vile, and frankly evil acts.

I feel no remorse, at all, for the people who've been fired from Penn State at this point, and anyone else who knew and did nothing should also be fired.

I have no sympathy for Joe Pa and his 85 years of age. He gets no pass here. He gets nothing but the blame he is more than due in this case.

He basically turned a blind eye to this and was satisified that the bare minimum he did was enough. It's disgusting, it's pathetic, and it's just down right ugly.