Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

JBond

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4235463 said:
That and I'm tired of hearing about Joe Pa's library and such. If you were raped and tortured, would you care about a library?

YR

I keep picturing a 10 year old terrified boy bleeding and crying in the shower as a demon rapes him and no one helps.

I cannot believe the assistant did nothing. What is wrong with people?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I wonder what actually occurred. (sequence of events)

When Paterno heard about it the first time, he did the right thing in telling the University and letting them handle it. While the accusation was made, was there any proof that it actually occurred at the time?

Since it would have been a very high profile situation and many men's lives where at stake here. A false accusation could have been very damaging to innocent people. Also, you can't just fire someone because someone accused them of wrong doing. There needs to be some type of proof. (obviously my opinion)

So, IMO Paterno did the right thing in informing the University and not going public with it. It would have been the University's job to inform the police and do a thorough investigation on the subject.

Now, the question I have is did Paterno follow up with the University about the situation or just let it go and let the University handle it. I believe it was Paterno's job as a University employee to protect the students. He should have followed up. We don't know if he did.

If Joe did follow up, what did the University say to him? If they said that the investigation said it was a false claim, then Paterno did nothing wrong. Again, you can't (IMO) fire someone just because they were accused of something without proof. Anything other than that, action should have been taken on Paterno's part.

If Paterno knew of several reports of the same type, then Paterno definitely should have made a change in his staff. (even if he had to wait until the end of the season) Guilty or not, you can't ignore several accusations of the same type from different people.

Either way, he needed to step down. I just don't know what level of guilt Paterno actually has in this case.

There is no question those two guys at the top deserve jail time for their hand in covering up the situation. IMO, they are as guilty as that guy who committed these horrible acts.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JBond;4235472 said:
I keep picturing a 10 year old terrified boy bleeding in crying in the shower as a demon rapes him and no one helps.

I cannot believe the assistant did nothing. What is wrong with people?

Yeah I just don't get that either.

Even if you don't get into a physical confrontation with the guy, you at least yell at him to stop it and then go report it.

Think of that kid knowing that someone saw it happening and did not do anything to stop it. Whether he knew it at that time or found out later.

Was the guy afraid of getting beat up, was he afraid of losing his job. I am sorry I would not be afraid of losing my job and if I had to get beat up to protect that kid I would have.

You just don't see that stuff and walk away without trying to do something to stop it.

Even if he was afraid he could have hid somewhere in the locker room and screamed out for attention. Could have ran to the closet fire alarm and set it off.

Just no excuse for not doing anything to try and stop it.

JBond

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4235481 said:
I wonder what actually occurred. (sequence of events)

When Paterno heard about it the first time, he did the right thing in telling the University and letting them handle it. While the accusation was made, was there any proof that it actually occurred at the time?

Since it would have been a very high profile situation and many men's lives where at stake here. A false accusation could have been very damaging to innocent people. Also, you can't just fire someone because someone accused them of wrong doing. There needs to be some type of proof. (obviously my opinion)

So, IMO Paterno did the right thing in informing the University and not going public with it. It would have been the University's job to inform the police and do a thorough investigation on the subject.

Now, the question I have is did Paterno follow up with the University about the situation or just let it go and let the University handle it. I believe it was Paterno's job as a University employee to protect the students. He should have followed up. We don't know if he did.

If Joe did follow up, what did the University say to him? If they said that the investigation said it was a false claim, then Paterno did nothing wrong. Again, you can't (IMO) fire someone just because they were accused of something without proof. Anything other than that, action should have been taken on Paterno's part.

If Paterno knew of several reports of the same type, then Paterno definitely should have made a change in his staff. (even if he had to wait until the end of the season) Guilty or not, you can't ignore several accusations of the same type from different people.

Either way, he needed to step down. I just don't know what level of guilt Paterno actually has in this case.

There is no question those two guys at the top deserve jail time for their hand in covering up the situation. IMO, they are as guilty as that guy who committed these horrible acts.

I am not sure what you are talking about. Sandusky admitted it in 1998. The school did nothing to stop him even after an eye witness watched him sodomize a 10 year old in 2002. Sandusky was good friends with Joe Pa and according to Joe's son, Joe never even asked Sandusky about it. Joe Pa and all the other *******s at Penn state need to rot in a prison hole for a long time.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yakuza Rich;4235485 said:
SHOCKING PENN STATE RUMOR: Jerry Sandusky 'Pimped Out Young Boys To Rich Donors'

http://www.businessinsider.com/jerry-sandusky-donors-2011-11

YR

That must be the big story that was going to come out that someone was talking about on twitter yesterday.

(started following some people on twitter recently over the WVU conference situation).

Someone from the local WV press said that there was going to be a story coming out in the next day or so that was going to really blow people away and just be another bomb shell on this stuff.

Guess this was what he was talking about.

Geez...just when you think it could not get any worse. :(

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4235454 said:
McQueary could've helped 1 boy, Paterno could've helped several boys.

I find it incredible that McQueary, somebody that Paterno was supposed to have taught things like character, toughness, courage and integrity...did not stop the rape. And that instead of going to the proper authorities...he went to Paterno. And then he gave a watered down version of the events. There was no character, toughness, courage and integrity involved in what McQueary did. Probably because he wasn't taught those things from Paterno.

To me, Paterno looks less and less like 'a God' and more like an ignorant, oblivious, and unevolved football coach.

All of this is what happen when a sports program and a coach become bigger than the school. The janitors were afraid to come forward because they were afraid to lose their job.

I don't think it makes them right.

But, had they not been afraid to lose their job...they would have come forward.

Had McQueary not been afraid of the possible implications of turning in a legendary Sandusky...he probably would have come forward.

I believe most here would have done things differently. Personally, if I lost my job because I notified the proper authorities that I saw a kid being molested, I could at least live with myself knowing I did the right thing and I would make no apologies for it. I think most people feel the same way.

YR

How the **** could he have helped "several boys"? By going to the cops? Like was done in 1998? That helped the boy in 2002 didn't it?

I swear some of you people have lost your mind over the blind hate for Paterno.

All of you people who think Paterno is some kind of monster are some of the dumbest people I have ever seen on a message board and I have seen some real crazies.

Fact #1...Paterno was not a witness to anything. Another adult came to him and told him about the incident.

Fact #2... Paterno reported it to both his superior and to the local police authority head.

Fact #3...They lied to Paterno that they would do an investigation and then lied again and told him there was nothing to it.

Fact #4...Paterno should have gone to the State Police after the fact but how did he know that they weren't already involved in the original investigation?

Fact #5...The outrage of his firing is the testament to who and what the man is.

Fact #6...Sandusky and McQueary were the TWO adults involved who could have changed things. Sandusky the perp. McQueary the chicken crap adult afraid of his own shadow who could have stopped it.

And after all this people still think this was a fireable offense for Paterno.

The level of ignorance and stupidity of this position is beyond the pale.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yakuza Rich;4235485 said:
SHOCKING PENN STATE RUMOR: Jerry Sandusky 'Pimped Out Young Boys To Rich Donors'

http://www.businessinsider.com/jerry-sandusky-donors-2011-11

YR

I wouldn't even know what to say about that.

I guess we'll see if there's any validity to it.

The mention about the 1998 incident/1999 retirement is interesting. That's the one thing that makes all of this that much more sad. It could have come to an end in before the century turned over. The 2002 (and later) incident didn't need to happen.

And I think it's the thing that blows-up the Paterno-did-enough-in-2002 defense.

2002 wasn't a new "thing". It was simply a repeat of 1998.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4235495 said:
That must be the big story that was going to come out that someone was talking about on twitter yesterday.

(started following some people on twitter recently over the WVU conference situation).

Someone from the local WV press said that there was going to be a story coming out in the next day or so that was going to really blow people away and just be another bomb shell on this stuff.

Guess this was what he was talking about.

Geez...just when you think it could not get any worse. :(

And I still think there's much more than even this rumor.

Remember, nearly 20 years unaccounted for (from when the 2nd Mile started in 1977). And these are the only victims we know about since 1998. Could be much more victims since 1998...we just haven't seen them come forward, yet.

YR

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4235507 said:
How the **** could he have helped "several boys"? By going to the cops? Like was done in 1998? That helped the boy in 2002 didn't it?

Paterno did not go to campus police or the cops. not sure where you are getting that disinformation, but it isn't true from everything I have seen reported.

I'm a bit disgusted how much energy you have right now defended the indefensible.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Right now, I feel that Joe Pa was just short of criminally negligent. I don't think he was part of a cover-up, but did show a remarkable amount of callousness when it came to this situation.

But if some of these allegations are true
-Sandusky was forced to resign in 99' (which would mean Joe Pa knew of the allegations)
-Sandusky was pimping out boys to donors

Then everyone involved needs to go to jail. Everyone who failed to notify the propper authorities, everyone that was okay with him still showing up on campus, with children. Everyone.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Paterno and the school are claiming that the 1st time he EVER heard of any of this was in 2002 with McQueary reporting what he saw.

Do you still believe that was the case?

YR

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4235513 said:
Paterno did not go to campus police or the cops. not sure where you are getting that disinformation, but it isn't true from everything I have seen reported.

I'm a bit disgusted how much energy you have right now defended the indefensible.

He did go to the campus police head. Did you read the indictment? On page 10 he went to schultz who was the head of the Campus police. He told Joe that he would investigate. He lied.

And I don't care how disgusted you are. I am not defending anyone who did anything illegal. I am defending someone who did what he was supposed t do.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4235515 said:
I highly doubt this is true. If however it is, and Paterno is involved, it would change my entire position on this.

Personally, I don't highly doubt anything coming out of this case. It would deeply sadden me, but I cannot be surprised anymore.

Doesn't mean that it definitely happened, but this entire situation needs to be investigated as thorougly as possible and every avenue needs to be looked at.

To me, it's a 'wait and see.'

YR

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4235516 said:
Paterno and the school are claiming that the 1st time he EVER heard of any of this was in 2002 with McQueary reporting what he saw.

Do you still believe that was the case?

YR

I've not seen anything yet to prove otherwise other than a bunch of ranters on a message board with no evidence of it saying he did.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I have to say, I've been a football fan for a long time now, and I don't ever remember the almost outright worship of a football coach like I've seen for Paterno the last few days. Maybe it's because I'm not from that part of the country and never cared about Penn State, but this seems unprecedented to me. There have been other "kings" of college football, but I don't remember their being put on such a pedestal as this guy. I'm too young to really remember Bear Bryant -- maybe that would have been similar. But I do remember Barry Switzer getting thrown out for his players doing drugs and someone getting shot in a dorm room, and the way I remember it, the fans were disgusted and knew he had to go. To see these kids chanting outside his house and rioting in the streets in defense of him even after a far more disgusting scandal is just bizarre. When did he ascend to such a godlike status, and why do people think he's so special? He's just a football coach who won a lot of games.

I have a feeling people have been assuming he's some perfect person when that's anything but the truth. But I guess this week shows that.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

All of you people who think Paterno is some kind of monster are some of the dumbest people I have ever seen on a message board and I have seen some real crazies.

Fact #1...Paterno was not a witness to anything. Another adult came to him and told him about the incident.

Fact #2... Paterno reported it to both his superior and to the local police authority head.

Fact #3...They lied to Paterno that they would do an investigation and then lied again and told him there was nothing to it.

Fact #4...Paterno should have gone to the State Police after the fact but how did he know that they weren't already involved in the original investigation?

Fact #5...The outrage of his firing is the testament to who and what the man is.

Fact #6...Sandusky and McQueary were the TWO adults involved who could have changed things. Sandusky the perp. McQueary the chicken crap adult afraid of his own shadow who could have stopped it.

And after all this people still think this was a fireable offense for Paterno.

The level of ignorance and stupidity of this position is beyond the pale.

If it comes out that Joe Pa knew of the 98' incident when he was informed of the 02' incident, then there's no defending him at that point. If the Cops won't do anything, go to the Press. Even if you just make it harder for him to operate, you can atleast say you did everything you could.

If he knew of 98', then seeing him on campus with children after the 02' event (at some point he saw him) should've made him do more than turn away.