Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4235876 said:
Actually BH, it was law enforcement and the state dept of welfare that did the bare minimum in 98 by knowing Sandusky showered with another boy, and all they did was tell him not to do it again.

Joe was told of the incident in 2002 and went immediately to his superior at work and to the head of campus police.. and they lied to him about what was done.

No one had knowledge that Sandusky was this type of man back then.. and Joe is as responsible for all these other boys being hurt as the mother of the victim in 98 is, imo. Both told the local authorities and both times they failed to act in a proper mannar.

Couple of things....it's my understanding, from the grand jury indictment, that there is no mention of Joe Paterno telling anyone at the campus police anything, or of any local authorities.

With that being the case then no, he did not, tell any authorities other than his boss.

But I agree with you 100% that all the others involved in this are also due their blame and must carry their responsibility in their lack of action.

Joe Paterno isn't the only one here who should have, and could have, done more. I'm not saying that by any stretch.

However he's the only one who seems to be getting a "lay off of Joe, he did all he could" pass for it.

They all deserve their blame. McQueary, the police, Joe, everyone.

JackWagon

Reaction score
With all the rioting and freaking out people are doing ... how do they play this football game saturday? I guess its all about football after all. Gotta make that 10 million in ticket sales, parking and concessions ... Go State!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More from Madden...

Madden Rewind: Sandusky a State secret

Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:45 am | Updated: 11:06 am, Thu Nov 10, 2011.

Mark Madden | 0 comments

Beaver County Times sports columnist and WXDX-FM talk show host Mark Madden first wrote about child sex abuse allegations against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky on April 3:

The Jerry Sandusky situation seems a matter of failure to connect certain dots, or perhaps unwillingness in that regard. Lots of people besides the former Penn State defensive coordinator have some explaining to do.

Allegations of improper conduct with an underage male first surfaced in 1998, while Sandusky was still employed by Penn State. That incident allegedly occurred in a shower at Penn State's on-campus football facility. No charges were filed.

Sandusky retired the next year, in 1999. He was 55, prime age for a coach. Odd, to say the least - especially with Joe Paterno thought even then to be ready to quit and Sandusky a likely, openly-discussed successor.

It seems logical to ask: What did Paterno know, and when did he know it? What did Penn State's administration know, and when did they know it?

More...

http://www.timesonline.com/columnis...f02c-0bb5-11e1-9f46-001a4bcf6878.html?photo=0

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
JackWagon;4236077 said:
The "hes a scapegoat" agruement doesnt hold water unless you can answer the questions I asked ... "Why did paterno give Sandusky a golden parachute in 1999?" and "Why did McQuery run outta the bathroom and only tell Paterno?" .... "Paterno is a scapegoat" doesnt asnwer those questions. All you PSU people can jam your heads into the sand or cover your ears and go "lalalala" until you are blue in the face but you havent answered those questions on why those people reacted like that. My theory (also Craig Miller's) does.

This is really a pointless debate. I'll say it again for you though.. there are literally 100 or more people who could have done "more" to prevent more sick acts by this **** Sandusky.. yet ALL of the media coverage is centered around criticizing and blaming one man for doing nothing.

Call it what you'd like.. but that is wrong. I'd like everyone criticizing Paterno right now to step back and ask themselves what it would be like if their own morals were put under the lights and their own job was on the line for it.

How many of us would be going to collect unemployment next Monday morning?

This isn't an issue about one man.. and yet the one man being most targeted isn't even the man who committed all of these heinous acts.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4236083 said:
Couple of things....it's my understanding, from the grand jury indictment, that there is no mention of Joe Paterno telling anyone at the campus police anything, or of any local authorities.

With that being the case then no, he did not, tell any authorities other than his boss.

But I agree with you 100% that all the others involved in this are also due their blame and must carry their responsibility in their lack of action.

Joe Paterno isn't the only one here who should have, and could have, done more. I'm not saying that by any stretch.

However he's the only one who seems to be getting a "lay off of Joe, he did all he could" pass for it.

The one guy he informed was in charge of Campus police. It wasn't enough though he should have done more.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
joseephuss;4236082 said:
I don't get the "Paterno is a scapegoat" argument, either. If he was a ture scapegoat, then he would be the only one gone from Penn St. right now. He isn't. He also wasn't the first one let go, nor will he be the last. They still need to deal with McQueary who should be let go. And there will probably be more still to come.

He was the first one let go.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The scapegoat stuff is to make Joe Pa a pariah.

There's not one person who thinks that Curley should be on administrative leave.

We have repeatedly stated that all should be gone.

But, the Paterno apologists have gone out of their way to apologize and make excuses for Paterno. The others are saying that Paterno is just as bad as Curley, Schultz and Spanier.

The fervent anger towards Paterno is that he's been called a God and this almighty higher up and his apologists have bent over backwards to stick up for him.

All of this is done because of football.

If Joe Pa was a science professor who won Nobel Peace Prizes and created a library and donated millions into charity and affected the lives of science students...that professor would be burned at the stake by the Penn State students and alumni.

But, nobody does 'Seven Nation Army' chants in a physics class.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4236083 said:

From the grand jury testimony, Schultz was the head of campus police.. and he was informed of what Joe was told by the graduate assistant, McQueary. It still wasn't enough though, i agree. He should have gone to the municipal police force or the state dept.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4236080 said:
Eighth-hand vague rumors aren't quite the same as the position Paterno was in.

lol

Everything comes back to Joe. Im not talking about Joe at all in this post, im saying these media fools are coming forward and saying "yea we had people tell us this for years now that this kinda thing was going on."

Oh.. so you guys were told this was going on but never said anything? It may not have much of an effect legally, but morally they are indicting themselves as being just another group of people who knew something and said nothing.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
So, is Penn State going to a bowl this year?

Is JoePa going into the College Hall of Fame? Pete Rose did much less and can't even buy a ticket to enter.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Frankly it is very good that Penn state is going to be in disgrace. Even better that Paterno will now be remembered for this rather then football. That is all very good. Now the same needs to be done at Texas, and a couple other places. Football or any sport should never be as important as it was at Penn State. Like it was at OSU when Tressel was there. No coach of any team should have that kind of power.

Roy is an example of why that is bad.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4236114 said:
The scapegoat stuff is to make Joe Pa a pariah.

There's not one person who thinks that Curley should be on administrative leave.

We have repeatedly stated that all should be gone.

YR

We all get it dude, you think everyone "defending" him is just a PSU football homer or apoligist or whatever.

You continue to be wrong and foolish.. and agian no one is defending his actions.

"Media scapegoat." Look it up..

Even if "we all have repeatedly stated" that Curley should be gone and there's not one person happy with him still being employed by the university.. how much media coverage is this part of the situation getting?

Even if we all acknowledge there were 100 or more people who could have done "more".. how much coverage are any of the rest getting?

None. Everyone is still solely focused on Joe, Joe, and more Joe.

There's no media outrage over Curley or McQueary like there was/still is over Joe's part in this entire systematic failure by our society.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
burmafrd;4236129 said:
Frankly it is very good that Penn state is going to be in disgrace. Even better that Paterno will now be remembered for this rather then football. That is all very good. Now the same needs to be done at Texas, and a couple other places. Football or any sport should never be as important as it was at Penn State. Like it was at OSU when Tressel was there. No coach of any team should have that kind of power.

Roy is an example of why that is bad.
Can you translate this for me?

Roy who? Roy Williams? What does whichever Roy you're referring to have to do with anything?

Univ of Texas has pedophiles running around, connected to the football program? There are a couple of other universities with the same problem?

I don't get your reasoning in slightest. I see nothing good about a bunch of kids being molested, regardless of how powerful and important football made Joe Paterno.

JackWagon

Reaction score
What im really getting at is that they are STILL covering stuff up. NOONE has answered my questions yet ... NOONE. WHY did they give Sandusky a golden parachute in 1999??? They had the friggin PERFECT opportunity to fire him and get rid of him forever from teh program. They didnt do that .. and the only reason i can think of is that Sandusky had something on PAterno and the PSU football program. Im guessing that they were using Sandusky's charity to fund payment of players. Thats the only thing i can think of that would get a CHILD MOLESTER a golden parachute like Sandusky got.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
ninja;4236126 said:
So, is Penn State going to a bowl this year?

Is JoePa going into the College Hall of Fame? Pete Rose did much less and can't even buy a ticket to enter.
I'd bet they decline any bowl invitation, just guessing. There is going to be a shadow over their university for months, if not longer.

HOF for Joe Pa? I'd say it depends on what comes out in the coming weeks. If it doesn't get any worse for him, probably yes. If it were to be discovered that he had explicit knowledge all along of Sandusky's behavior, then I'd say no chance.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
JackWagon;4236145 said:
What im really getting at is that they are STILL covering stuff up. NOONE has answered my questions yet ... NOONE. WHY did they give Sandusky a golden parachute in 1999??? They had the friggin PERFECT opportunity to fire him and get rid of him forever from teh program. They didnt do that .. and the only reason i can think of is that Sandusky had something on PAterno and the PSU football program. Im guessing that they were using Sandusky's charity to fund payment of players. Thats the only thing i can think of that would get a CHILD MOLESTER a golden parachute like Sandusky got.

I agree there are still alot of aspects of this that have yet to come to light, and it'll probably only get worse.. but as to your question:

From what former coaches, players, etc.. are saying about Sandusky, everyone was completely shocked and taken aback to learn about all this. Everyone who was close to him knew him as a great guy, a wonderful human being, and a guy who was always willing to help out and be there for you. After the first incident was reported and he ended up not being charged for anything, its not beyond belief for people to believe he was falsely accused and that's why no charges were never filed. Again, everyone who knew him at that time knew him as a wonderful human being. That's probably why no one thought twice about it.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4236146 said:
I'd bet they decline any bowl invitation, just guessing. There is going to be a shadow over their university for months, if not longer.

HOF for Joe Pa? I'd say it depends on what comes out in the coming weeks. If it doesn't get any worse for him, probably yes. If it were to be discovered that he had explicit knowledge all along of Sandusky's behavior, then I'd say no chance.

Joe Pa is already is in the hall of fame already.

Aggie87

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4236066 said:
That's my interpretation as well. Kinda like the Chief of the University police runs things the way he deems fit, with no real guidance from Schultz. Unless crap hits the fan or there is a special situation, then the Chief would go to Schultz. And even then, it's more of a beaureaucratic structure. And then Schultz would go to the Spanier.

In fact, I think the structure is mainly for those 1 of a kind situations. Like a rape or murder in the dorms...or in this case...child molestation.

I wouldn't doubt if the Chief was shielded from the 2002 incident and Paterno was told not to tell him (or Paterno gave the orders to not tell him). Having cops in my family...rumors spread very quickly.

I think this is a significant point in evaluating Joe Paterno's role in this mess. If this is indeed true, he *NEVER* went to any police agency to report what McQueary told him. He only told his boss (the AD) and one of the school's senior VPs.

He clearly didn't do all he could have done, morally for sure, and if the above is true, possibly legally as well.

I think McQueary should/will be in equally serious trouble, if not worse. As well as the higher-up people involved in the cover up.