People who's the better receiver of D. Jarrett, D. Bowe, T. Ginn, and Robert Meachem?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Tristan;1450693 said:
I would love a Brian Westbrook on our team. Maybe it's because I've seen him slicing through our secondary like swiss cheese for years.

As for Jarrett and the BMW comparisons, Bottom line...
They are different people, different minds, different bodies, different souls, different football players, PERIOD! You cannot judge a players prospectus based on what another person has done or is.

As for Mike Williams, I still can't understand what his problem is, it's not his speed IMO. Many have excelled with sub par speed. Year off? Detroit? Clarettitous? If he continues to dissapoint, you have to say Detroit has the worst luck in the world.

Charles Rogers had Calvin Johnson type measurables/Ability, obviously there is something going on with these guys that has nothing to do with speed, and nothing to do with Dwayne Jarrett!

Even their body types are completely different, BMW is a very thick, bulky man, he was never very agile, or quick, nor does he have much hops, he simply outmuscled DB's.

Jarrett is long and lean, more of a basketball players body, very fluid, agile and has great suddenness or "quick twich" body controll. His greates asset IMO is his ability to jump through the roof and pluck the ball with his huge,clutch, superglue mitts.

Jarrett will determine his own destiny, regardless of what some guy, somewhere else is doing.

MICHAEL Westbrook. You know the bust from the Commanders? The guy that was so surly and full of himself?

And i never said that Williams = Jarrett. what I said was they were similar players. BTW Jarret is neither fast nor agile. His shuttle times and 40 times prove it. You can keep telling yourself that but his workout numbers prove you wrong. Fact is that jarrett was able to push off a lot in the NCAA game, just as Williams was and come NFL time he wont. Williams was known for the jumpball too. Similar receivers same program. You can definitely look at what similar receivers have done; to say that you cannot is just stupid.

And this is beofre you take into consideration the complete and utter laziness and uncoachability he displayed at the combine. So in review:

1) He has a similar body type and similar production from the same college system that produced one of the more infamous WR busts lately.

2) His 40 time and shuttle times are absolutely awful. Bottom 10% of this years crop awful.

3) He demonstrated his laziness by not even attempting to prepare for his predraft workouts.

4) He came across as surly and unattentive at the senior bowl practices.

5)

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Oh and another thing Jarrett has a 36 in vert and a 4.65 40 time.

Mike Williams had a 45 in vert and ran a 4.5 40 time.

Mike Williams is faster and jumps higher than Jarrett despite any anecdotal lies youd like to present.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
doomsday81;1450757 said:
This is just my opinion but I break down film of over 200 players and three other people in my department do the same. We watch the film individually and then compare notes. All four of us agreed that Meachem was one of the three most overated prospects in this draft, along with Marcus McCauley and Tim Shaw. Out of roughly 200 players, those were the only three we all agreed 100 percent on as being vastly overrated. Last year we had two players that fell into that category: Darnell Bing and Chad Jackson.

We just think after breaking down film of Meachem you see an average football player. He got caught from behind on 9 occassions when he had at least a 10-yard lead on the defensive back. That's not good for a guy known as a "speed' receiver. His timed speed doesn't translate to the field. He also catches the ball with his body. He rarely plucks the ball out of the air with his hands and doesn't break many tackles after contact. We have him graded as a late-second round prospect. The guy we really like is Jason Hill out of Washington State. He's probably the most underrated players in the draft and a much better overall receiver than Meachem in our opinion.

Can you link to some of those videos because I never saw those caught from behind scenes when I was watching him against the Gators and on the receivers skills competition on the nfl network he caught every single pass with his hands. Maybe we're just not seeing the same thing but he looked good to me. But then again I like Sydney Rice also. Go figure.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
kobe2jail;1449702 said:
How exactly do you work on speed?

You don't care about his 40 times? Find me another all pro wr in the NFL with 4.6 speed. He's a possesion reciever pure and simple. You want to spend a 1st round pick on a possesion reciever? No thanks, I'll pass.

Jarrett was a good reciever on a GREAT team. USC's qb had 5 seconds to throw the ball everytime he dropped back. Of course Jarret can get open in 5 seconds against pac 10 teams. They can't even spell Defense out there.

In the NFL he'll get 2-3 seconds an the qb has to get rid of the ball. How much seperation do you think he can get in 2 seconds in the NFL?????

Jarrett is a bust waiting to happen. Someone get him a bus ticket with a seat next to Mike WIlliams.

I can't believe the posters on here that buy into the Jarrett hype.

I agree with this, he does look like he has major problems getting off the line when pressed and we all know he will have trouble seperating when he gets to the NFL. Chris Houston, an NFL type corner, was in his hip pocket all day last year.
If he can get stronger and develop a mean streak he might be able to develop into a consistent possession reciever, otherwise Mike Williams comparisons might end up being a compliment.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't see anything special about Dewayne Bowe. I didn't even think he was the best WR at LSU many times I watched. He's just a decent guy. He doesn't get great seperation. Decent, not great, speed. Decent, not great, size. Decent, not great, routes. Poor, not decent, hands. Bowe should give Jamarcus Russell half his paycheck, because he was a 4th round pick headed into this year. All of a sudden, Russell's lightbulb comes on, has a brillant season and Bowe rides that wave all the way to a Top 25 pick. This is why WR's bust at such a high rate .. so much of this is so circumstantial. I fully believe if Dewayne Bowe had Blake Mitchell throwing him the ball, he's a mid round draft pick. If Sidney Rice had Jamarcus Russell throwing him the ball, he's a Top 15 pick.

I don't necessarily mind Ginn or Meachem, because I see good talent with those two, but drafting Jarrett or Bowe at #22 is drafting a WR just for the sake of drafting a WR. Which seems to be a popular mindset among some, but its a thought the process I hope the Cowboys avoid.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1451287 said:
I don't see anything special about Dewayne Bowe. I didn't even think he was the best WR at LSU many times I watched. He's just a decent guy. He doesn't get great seperation. Decent speed. Decent size. Poor hands. Bowe should give Jamarcus Russell half his paycheck, because he was a 4th round pick headed into this year. All of a sudden, Russell's lightbulb comes on, has a brillant season and Bowe rides that wave all the way to a Top 25 pick. This is why WR's bust at such a high rate .. so much of this is so circumstantial. I fully believe if Dewayne Bowe had Blake Mitchell throwing him the ball, he's a mid round draft pick. If Sidney Rice had Jamarcus Russell throwing him the ball, he's a Top 15 pick.

I don't necessarily mind Ginn or Meachem, because I see good talent with those two, but drafting Jarrett or Bowe at #22 is drafting a WR just for the sake of drafting a WR.

Wow, I've always respected your opinion even on a different board (of a different sport) I can't imagine you saying this. It's in my opinion that Bowe is the second best WR in the draft (next to Calvin Johnson and only because of his freakish size/speed/strength combo) Bowe is stronger than any of the other receivers, he plays with fire, he has good speed, I think his hand are pretty good?!?! He is a great blocker, he bounces off tacklers, and has very long arms. He needs a little time as he doesn't have a lot of expereince. Being drafted behind TO and Glenn I think would be a birthright the the NFL elite receivers. (yeah, maybe thats overdoing it) He is very TO like in his play, I think TO would be a prefect teacher.

If he is on the board, and Branch/Okoye/Peterson/Thomas/Johnson were gone, I would draft him. (maybe another, but Bowe is high on my list)

Timbo2st

Benched
Reaction score
Kiper's mock draft has the Eagles picking the LSU WR.

I don't really know anything about him.

Tristan

Reaction score
Fuzzy, we'll just have to disagree on Jarretts body type, IMO there is just no way you can say they have the same body type.

And I think it is stupid to compare two different players the way you are. You like to bring up Mike williams who was a big tall, sub par speed WR from USC, but you fail to note Keyshawn, who is a much better comparison. Like Jarrett, Key is tall and lean. But there is no evidence to support Jarrett being either one of those guys in the NFL. I've yet to see an NFL player duplicated. Everybody has their own game, and I love Jarretts' game.

You may have a different definition for agility, but I've seen Jarrett practically twist his body apart stretching for the big catch, to say Jarrett is not agile is ignorant, or proof that you haven't actually watched the player.I said Jarret has good quickness in and out of his breaks, ON THE FOOTBALL FEILD, IN A FOOTBALL UNIFORM, WHILE PLAYING THE GAME OF FOOTBALL!

Bring up your underware olympics all you want, and your conjecture regarding his personality all you want. Do you know him personally?, I doubt it. But you can take the second hand opinion of a couple talking heads as the Bible if you want.

You can beleive Mike Williams jumped higher all you want, there is not a chance in hell that Mike Williams has a 45" verticle. I don't care what you've read, that my friend is a lie! Do you realize what a 45" verticle is?

And the MICHAEL Westbrook comarison is even more lame.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1451287 said:
I don't see anything special about Dewayne Bowe. I didn't even think he was the best WR at LSU many times I watched. He's just a decent guy. He doesn't get great seperation. Decent, not great, speed. Decent, not great, size. Decent, not great, routes. Poor, not decent, hands. Bowe should give Jamarcus Russell half his paycheck, because he was a 4th round pick headed into this year. All of a sudden, Russell's lightbulb comes on, has a brillant season and Bowe rides that wave all the way to a Top 25 pick. This is why WR's bust at such a high rate .. so much of this is so circumstantial. I fully believe if Dewayne Bowe had Blake Mitchell throwing him the ball, he's a mid round draft pick. If Sidney Rice had Jamarcus Russell throwing him the ball, he's a Top 15 pick.

I don't necessarily mind Ginn or Meachem, because I see good talent with those two, but drafting Jarrett or Bowe at #22 is drafting a WR just for the sake of drafting a WR. Which seems to be a popular mindset among some, but its a thought the process I hope the Cowboys avoid.
Bowe's increased production could have also been the result of his eye surgery. Ever think of that? Bowe has excellent acceleration and uses his body to create separation. He's probably the best route runner in the draft. He's great at working the cornerback in close quarters. He has long arms and large hands, so he can reach and snag the ball. He's not going a steaker like Ginn, but he has more than adequate speed to get downfield (4.40 40-time at his pro day). There were legitimate complaints about his hands prior to 2006, but that was remedied by the eye surgery.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Everything about Bowe reminds me of Robert Ferguson and Reggie Williams. I hate those muscular, bulky, straight line 4.5 guys who don't hit full speed until three seconds into their route, and rely on their strength and shoving to get open. I don't know why Dwayne Bowe is ranked higher than Sidney Rice. I just think in the games I saw that Sidney Rice was a much more explosive WR than Bowe against similar SEC competition, and didn't even have anything close to Jamarcus Russell throwing to him. Rice is also two years younger (compare that to where Bowe was two years ag). Rice was the only WR to eat Chris Houston's lunch.

I think Rice and Jason Hill are going to have better NFL careers than Bowe, and both will be 2nd round picks.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The effect of Bowe's eye surgery:

2004: 71 Pass Attempts. 39 Catches. (55% completion)

2005: 69 Pass Attempts. 41 Catches. (62% completion)

2005-2006 Offseason: Bowe has corrective eye surgery.

2006 (first 8 games): 52 Pass Attempt. 32 Catches (71% completion)

It's clear his "hands" got better when his eyes got better.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1451777 said:
Everything about Bowe reminds me of Robert Ferguson and Reggie Williams. I hate those muscular, bulky, straight line 4.5 guys who don't hit full speed until three seconds into their route, and rely on their strength and shoving to get open. I don't know why Dwayne Bowe is ranked higher than Sidney Rice. I just think in the games I saw that Sidney Rice was a much more explosive WR than Bowe against similar SEC competition, and didn't even have anything close to Jamarcus Russell throwing to him. Rice is also two years younger (compare that to where Bowe was two years ag). Rice was the only WR to eat Chris Houston's lunch.

I think Rice and Jason Hill are going to have better NFL careers than Bowe, and both will be 2nd round picks.
So, what's Rice? A long-legged 4.5 guy that that doesn't hit full speed until 20-30 yards because of his long legs? Rice doesn't get separation. He had 17 passes deflected in 2006. 17! Bowe had 4 deflections in his first 8 games.

By the way, Rice's completion percentage was in the low 60s. It took about 120 attempts for him to reach his production level. In the end, Bowe nearly matched Rice's production with much fewer attempts. Beyond that, Bowe is simply a better athlete.

What's remarkable about Rice is that he's not good at short routes and going over the middle. Yet he's also not a speedy receiver. He won't be a deep threat in the NFL. So what is he really good at?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theogt;1451782 said:
The effect of Bowe's eye surgery:

2004: 71 Pass Attempts. 39 Catches. (55% completion)

2005: 69 Pass Attempts. 41 Catches. (62% completion)

2005-2006 Offseason: Bowe has corrective eye surgery.

2006 (first 8 games): 52 Pass Attempt. 32 Catches (71% completion)

It's clear his "hands" got better when his eyes got better.

Jamarcus Russell also improved his completion percentage by almost 20 points in the last three years, so that has as much to do with those numbers as the eye problem. Bowe still drops a lot of passes. A stiff possession WR with bad hands ... not a good combination.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's just kind of mediocre and underwhelming for a #22 pick. I don't like mediocre talents in the 1st round. I think a lot of the love affair for Bowe has to do with the fact that everyone's got a huge WR boner at the moment. I prefer to swing for the fences. That's why I didn't like the Carpenter pick last year. Not that I thought Carpenter was a bad player or going to be a bust, I didn't think he had the type of talent that could take over a game and really not a special player in college. Just like I don't think Bowe has the talent to take over a game and not a special player. Other guys don't seem to mind that and would prefer to play it safe ... that's all.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1451794 said:
Jamarcus Russell also improved his completion percentage by almost 20 points in the last three years, so that has as much to do with those numbers as the eye problem. Bowe still drops a lot of passes. A stiff possession WR with bad hands ... not a good combination.
If Bowe drops a lot of passes, then Rice must have hands made of stone.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's just kind of mediocre and underwhelming for a #22 pick. I don't like mediocre talents in the 1st round. I think a lot of the love affair for Bowe has to do with the fact that everyone's got a huge WR boner at the moment. I prefer to swing for the fences. That's why I didn't like the Carpenter pick last year. Not that I thought Carpenter was a bad player or going to be a bust, I didn't think he had the type of talent that could take over a game and really not a special player in college. Just like I don't think Bowe has the talent to take over a game and not a special player. Other guys don't seem to mind that and would prefer to play it safe ... that's all.
I don't really have a WR boner. I'd prefer an OLB like Anthony Spencer. I was underwhelmed by Carpenter as well, because he didn't have premier pass-rush ability. Spencer does. But if we're going to draft a WR, I'd like Bowe. Much more so than Rice. I wouldn't take Rice in the 1st round at all. Heck, he'll probably be around just before our 2nd pick.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
theogt;1451793 said:
He had 17 passes deflected in 2006. 17! Bowe had 4 deflections in his first 8 games.

By the way, Rice's completion percentage was in the low 60s.

Color me curious...where in the world do you find information like that? That's fantastic stuff to have.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Other than Charles Johnson it is hard to know who the best is, all of these WR being named are considered top picks and should fall in the 1st rd or very early in the 2nd.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
masomenos85;1451937 said:
Color me curious...where in the world do you find information like that? That's fantastic stuff to have.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com

By far the best draft site on the internet. Their company puts out the yearly Lindy's draft guide. The online site is much better, obviously, because its update almost daily with information on players.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
theogt;1451947 said:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com

By far the best draft site on the internet. Their company puts out the yearly Lindy's draft guide. The online site is much better, obviously, because its update almost daily with information on players.

You know, thats where I always go to get the info for 10 yard splits and what not...I always wondered if the pay site was worth it...and I guess it is. Thanks.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a lot of people are going to be suprised when we don't draft a WR in the 1st round.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
masomenos85;1451957 said:
You know, thats where I always go to get the info for 10 yard splits and what not...I always wondered if the pay site was worth it...and I guess it is. Thanks.
Best $30 you'll spend outside of Boys Town, Mexico. ;)