News: Per Eatman: Josh Brent placed on Retired/Reserved List

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Still not sure what's going on despite Brent releasing this statement...

“It is with careful consideration, much thought and reflection that today I announce my retirement from the NFL,” the statement read. “I have not taken this decision lightly, as my time in the NFL and as a member of the Dallas Cowboys has been the opportunity of a lifetime. Two of the greatest institutions in sports are the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys and I am humbled, honored and blessed to have been a part of both.

“I have made the decision that Football isn’t as much of a priority in my life as other things at this time.

“I would like to thanks the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry and Stephen Jones, the Jones family, my teammates, Jason Garrett and all of the coaches and the entire staff of the Cowboys for everything that they have done for me since I was drafted out of the University of Illinois in 2010. I also want to thank all of the Dallas Cowboys fans everywhere for their unyielding and loyal support, they are the greatest fans in professional sports. I will endeavor my best to make The Dallas Cowboys and their fans proud as I embark on this new journey in my life.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-says-football-not-a-top-priority-any-longer/

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Any possible June 1 cuts that could help?

That does not exist any more for the most part. There are no shocking purses of cap space that trigger on June 1st these days.

I also think the NFL moved the June 1 date to May 12.

adamknite

Reaction score
I also have a history of being drunk. Especially when in my early twenties. I'm not an alcoholic.

Ohhhhh kay... you might have been at one point though, I don't know because I don't know you. If somebody has a history of DUIs, one to the point where his best friend died because of his intoxication... I wouldn't say him being a "alcoholic" is such a far fetched notion like you made it out to be. It's not like it's a baseless accusation here.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That's what makes this so odd. Why are they sticking with this guy if he screwed up again?

The same reason the Cowboys are willing to take a chance on Gregory. If you say you truly are interested and concerned about your players, you treat them like family rather than commodities, particularly when they're dealing with issues that requires understanding and support from those close to you.

Tobal

Reaction score
were people actually counting on him? I hoped, but it would have been a surprise to me to get anything out of him.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
The same reason the Cowboys are willing to take a chance on Gregory. If you say you truly are interested and concerned about your players, you treat them like family rather than commodities, particularly when they're dealing with issues that requires understanding and support from those close to you.

True and the Cowboys have done a commendable job of late, especially with Brent.

But my point was, I don't think he screwed up, I think he just decided to retire, especially after reading his statement about it. I think if he had screwed up again we'd be hearing about it. It's early yet though, something still might come out.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
True and the Cowboys have done a commendable job of late, especially with Brent.

But my point was, I don't think he screwed up, I think he just decided to retire, especially after reading his statement about it. I think if he had screwed up again we'd be hearing about it. It's early yet though, something still might come out.

Yeah, at this point we're all just speculating. You're probably playing it the safest, just considering what he actually said then trying to read into it more.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
200.gif

chagus

Reaction score

Gets the chance of a lifetime to play for Dallas, gets into major drunk driving accident killing a teammate and friend, does jail time and is forgiven by friends mother AND receives a second chance of a lifetime from Cowboys to play football and make tons of money doing so.... And still GIVES UP? Dang man. Some of us were rooting for you, Josh, even after forgiving you of your horrible mistake and hoping you would contribute greatly to our beloved team. Be gone and stay gone. What a waste.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Then why not just cut him? A player can't place themselves on the reserve-retired list. The team does that.

In my opinion, it's pretty simple. It makes the Cowboys look less heartless if he retires. Brent probably knew he'd never get picked up by another team and knew his football days were done. The Cowboys went way out on a limb to bring him back in the first place, and there was a clear narrative of the "desire to help a young man and his friend's daughter." A simple CUT, would have looked very abrupt in light of all that's transpired. By going to reserved/retired, it's a more peaceful way to end the Brent storyline. It becomes less of a national "SHOCKER: The Cowboys give up on troubled player" story that the media would enjoy. I have some slight experience in PR, but I an still just guessing, so take it for what it's worth.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had a relapse. Too bad.

Did he?

My guess is that he never go into shape and they were going to cut him. Being out of shape is probably what got some of those other guys cut like the OL Hawkins. They carried that guy on the 53 all season as and inactive developmental player. For him to get cut now indicates that he did something wrong. The most likely option is being out of shape. The Brent "retirement" coincided exactly with the time frame of those other players being cut.