News: PFT: Cowboys remain in search of safety help

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From Stephen: "You pointed it out, free safety, if the right spot were there would we have done something, absolutely. But it just didn’t work out that way and we certainly didn’t want to push the issue. We had to make a few tough decisions on whether to go with another need or the free safety need. But we feel like, overall, we’re very comfortable and confident where we are. But there’s still a lot of work to do between now and the start of the season.

“We’ve got some really good football players on this team. I think the competition levels will be high, and who knows — at the end of training camp, if you’re real strong in a particular area, you might could do something along those lines, as well, in terms of trading a player for a player."

Interesting. Think they still might entertain a trade of Irving for Thomas? Did SEA do much to replace the loss of Avril/Bennet on their roster? With us adding the DL via the Swtizer trade and looking at another DT in McClain and with the prospect of Gregory coming back, with Lawrence and Collins and Crawford already on the roster and Taco coming into that second year...I'd be down for spreading a bit of that depth around to the S position if SEA were interested. It's two impact players, one older, the other a knucklehead. Thomas is a better player than Irving, but not by all that much, and Irving is younger. Both guys are on one year deals. Our fronts are similar....it makes some sense.

I think that's actually a pretty decent swap of players and one that could make sense for both sides.

The Seahawks have lost a few quality defensive linemen recently like Bennett and Richardson and could be interested in Irving.

And Cowboys fans can cry and moan about it, but this team isn't paying David Irving big money after this season.

But they would be willing to give Thomas the extension he wants.

Quite an interesting idea.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Trading for ET n signing Vaccaro seems doable. Earl's contract tho...DAL paying double digits to a FS? Idk.

plymkr

Reaction score
You don’t think a second year player has progress to stop
Normally I would say yes, but watching these guys last year didn't fill me with a lot of confidence that they have huge ceilings. Awuzie and Woods didn't do much for me last year to think that they are going to be more than average starters and we know what Heath is. I'm a little more optimistic about Awuzie but he needs to stay healthy. I'd like to bring Vaccaro in for some veteran insurance and competition and if Woods and Awuzie beat him out in camp then all the better.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now, I view Irving as quite a bit better than any of our other interior linemen. Maybe that won't be the case by the end of camp.

Is the upgrade from X Woods to Thomas bigger than the downgrade from Irving to Crawford or Collins or whoever for you?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Interesting. Think they still might entertain a trade of Irving for Thomas? Did SEA do much to replace the loss of Avril/Bennet on their roster? With us adding the DL via the Swtizer trade and looking at another DT in McClain and with the prospect of Gregory coming back, with Lawrence and Collins and Crawford already on the roster and Taco coming into that second year...I'd be down for spreading a bit of that depth around to the S position if SEA were interested. It's two impact players, one older, the other a knucklehead. Thomas is a better player than Irving, but not by all that much, and Irving is younger. Both guys are on one year deals. Our fronts are similar....it makes some sense.

Byron seems like a good trade piece. I can see lots of teams thinking they can make more out of him. Young, and with two more years on his contract.

Maybe a WR. We might have extras, and might even want to move Williams if other guys really step up.

DE could be crowded, particularly if Gregory comes back.

Maybe Crawford?

We've got a little extra at a few positions.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Is the upgrade from X Woods to Thomas bigger than the downgrade from Irving to Crawford or Collins or whoever for you?

I think having a 3-tech who can get into the backfield and be disruptive consistently is the most important thing for this defensive scheme. So Thomas might be a bigger upgrade, but if Collins, Crawford, etc., can't get the same kind of pressure Irving created in the games he played last year, then it isn't going to matter as much who is at safety. Irving and Lawrence getting after the quarterback improves the secondary more than Thomas would in that case. So unless someone else steps up at the 3 spot, having both of them is more important than getting Thomas.

Of course, that doesn't mean we won't end up with an abundance at another position that can lead to a trade. I'm looking at end, where we have Lawrence, Charlton, Armstrong, maybe Gregory and Tapper, along with Ealy and Jones. Dallas even mentioned the possibility of Ward playing some at end, and then we have Crawford who can play there decently as well.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think that's actually a pretty decent swap of players and one that could make sense for both sides.

The Seahawks have lost a few quality defensive linemen recently like Bennett and Richardson and could be interested in Irving.

And Cowboys fans can cry and moan about it, but this team isn't paying David Irving big money after this season.

But they would be willing to give Thomas the extension he wants.

Quite an interesting idea.

If Irving picks up where he left off, then Dallas absolutely would pay him big money after this season. It might be in the form of a franchise tag if the team is still uncertain about his behavior, but you don't throw away 3-techs that produce 10-plus sacks, bat down around that many passes and consistently pressure the QB.

The only way you let that go is if you have another player doing the same things from that position. And I don't see that player on this roster.

gmoney112

Reaction score

That's a hard one to answer. They're both pretty significant leaps, imo.

Ward and Ealy could definitely factor into this.They're both built like the 3Techs we've had success with, but both are complete question marks right now.

Even Taco really. Hes the same build. What if some guys step up at DE, Gregory/Ealy looks good at end, he could even be a candidate at the 3 if he shows an affinity for it. A pass rush line of Ealy/Gregory at RDE, Lawrence at LDE, and Taco sliding into the 3 could be formidable. If Taco can be the guy at 3 I wouldn't mind playing him there at all, but we dont know. You could still give him some DE snaps like Irving does.

With Irving kinda in limbo for next year, and need to bolster inside pass rush, we should get to see a few of those guys getting reps in camp.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
[QUOTE="KingintheNorth, post: 8146242, member: 2280"]Terrell McClain and Tre Boston would solidify two question marks on this defense.
[/QUOTE]

What, that he is a question mark during games with his non impactful play?

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Irving picks up where he left off, then Dallas absolutely would pay him big money after this season. It might be in the form of a franchise tag if the team is still uncertain about his behavior, but you don't throw away 3-techs that produce 10-plus sacks, bat down around that many passes and consistently pressure the QB.

I'm betting that the Cowboys will "absolutely" let him go after this season. They're not going to invest huge money in a guy they don't trust. And they don't. And they're certainly not applying a huge franchise tag. They won't "throw him away", but they won't invest in him either. They'll let someone else take that risk. And then get a 2020 3rd round comp pick when he inevitably leaves.

The only way you let that go is if you have another player doing the same things from that position. And I don't see that player on this roster.

You don't invest huge money in part-time players you can't and don't trust. They've continued to employ "Swiss army knife" players on their defensive line and continued to add names to that group. There will likely be a lot of defensive line turnover in 2019 and you should expect Irving to be part of it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
From Stephen: "You pointed it out, free safety, if the right spot were there would we have done something, absolutely. But it just didn’t work out that way and we certainly didn’t want to push the issue. We had to make a few tough decisions on whether to go with another need or the free safety need. But we feel like, overall, we’re very comfortable and confident where we are. But there’s still a lot of work to do between now and the start of the season.

“We’ve got some really good football players on this team. I think the competition levels will be high, and who knows — at the end of training camp, if you’re real strong in a particular area, you might could do something along those lines, as well, in terms of trading a player for a player."

That would actually be a fair trade.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'm betting that the Cowboys will "absolutely" let him go after this season. They're not going to invest huge money in a guy they don't trust. And they don't. And they're certainly not applying a huge franchise tag. They won't "throw him away", but they won't invest in him either. They'll let someone else take that risk. And then get a 2020 3rd round comp pick when he inevitably leaves.

You don't invest huge money in part-time players you can't and don't trust. They've continued to employ "Swiss army knife" players on their defensive line and continued to add names to that group. There will likely be a lot of defensive line turnover in 2019 and you should expect Irving to be part of it.

We'll see.

I don't mind if he's gone if we have someone who can replicate what he produces, but someone is going to have to either prove they can do it or Irving is going to have to take a big step back from what he showed on the field last year for it to be worth not paying him or franchising him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll see.

I don't mind if he's gone if we have someone who can replicate what he produces, but someone is going to have to either prove they can do it or Irving is going to have to take a big step back from what he showed on the field last year for it to be worth not paying him or franchising him.

Keep in mind that Irving also "showed" this last year:

https://insidethestar.com/film-room-eagles-gashed-cowboys-trap-scheme/

Sacks are great, but if you're a liability out there against the run, you're a part-time player.

Billyd

Reaction score
YEAH been nice to draft a Decent FS..but they didnt pursue..I think because they believe Woods is workable there with HEATH.. Plus Chidobe and Jones can play..PERSONALLY I think a one tech a bigger need..Sign McClain, and dont do Seattle any favors..

YEAH, the first Philly game Ugly..Especially considering where Collins playing at the 1tech..Irving is better taking advantage of mismatchez and Collins is a much better 3tech..In situations like that better to have a true one tech and get irving in on Passing downs...Not nec he bad on running downs but Kelce pretty good in the middle. PUTTING two fatties in the middle on running downs a better play.

WAIT.. That reprt neglected to mention Lee was out...lolol..Several players were out for the Cowboys..Lolol

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
There's a difference between a FS and Earl Thomas my friend
Haha...guess so if they contemplated trading a 2nd rounder. Stephen n ET's agent must already have th contract agreed on.

erod

Reaction score
I thought Bowman was a shoe-in in Dallas...until we went LB in the first. I agree, though, we still need a veteran LB. But now I think it needs to be a guy who's content with a backup or package role. But someone good enough to give us starter snaps if and when someone goes down, so we're not plugging in STers again and hoping to hang on, and then failing to.

(FYI, it's shoo-in, not shoe-in. I know that because I made that mistake once, too. It doesn't make sense, but that's what it is.)

erod

Reaction score
Somehow, they've got to figure out how to get Earl Thomas in here. He's vastly superior to Vaccarro or Boston.

He knows the game like Sean Lee, and we need more of that.

He hasn't shown his face at the Seattle facilities, so there's no doubt he wants it to happen, too.