PFT: Cowboys seem to be willing to let Dak Prescott hit the market in 2025

Big_D

Reaction score
It's possible Wash would offer a 3rd or something, to be a 2 year bridge gap until when Maye or Daniels is ready to take over.

I think NY might be an even better fit. I could more easily see them giving up a 3rd or something similar
I think whoever Washington drafts will be starting on day 1, they won’t be bridging him with an overpriced contract who isn’t worth the trade value on top of it.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Any quarterback with a great record beats bad teams. Mahomes is beating up on the AFC West and the GOAT beat up the AFC East for 17 years. You’re supposed to beat up bad teams. Dak has not won in the playoffs but do you really give credit to Hurts taking the Eagles to the Super Bowl. Do you think he is better than Dak. You probably give Stafford credit for winning the Super Bowl for the Rams but other than that one season was he really any good. Dak is consistently good and you can’t really ask for more at the quarterback position.
You can ask for QBs to occasionally have great playoff runs.

Dak hasn't. Ever.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What good is it if they're not doing anything to get better results the following season? It's just good for business. We beat the 0-6 49ers 40-10 in 2017. Two years later they're in the SB. That didn't happen by accident. In football you want to be at the very top, or near the bottom, not somewhere in the middle with no chance at either.
They made moves to get better in previous seasons but we no longer have the cap space. We didn’t take advantage of the good teams we had and now it appears the window may have closed.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It looks like they will have a good team as long as he is the qb. Getting rid of him would put that in danger. They want to stay good as long as possible.
Lost 8 starters.

Haven’t replaced anyone. Including a HOF left tackle and the center. lol.

They still winning 12 games?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
True. Our priorities have shifted over the years. Jerry must have been livid when he didn’t get that second home playoff game. :muttley:
Yep, he was probably more pissed off since we would have had another home playoff game vs if the next playoff game would have been away. I hadn't really thought of it that way before. So Dak really did cost Jerry money and prestige there.

Motorola

Reaction score
It's possible Wash would offer a 3rd or something, to be a 2 year bridge gap until when Maye or Daniels is ready to take over.

I think NY might be an even better fit. I could more easily see them giving up a 3rd or something similar
Giants signed Drew Lock to be the veteran backup - and seemingly be the starter until Daniel Jones gets back from his ACL injury.
Despite his struggles last season, HC Brian Daboll said yesterday at the league's meeting site in Orlando (Annual League Meeting is today through Wednesday) that he's still the QB.

Giants have pick no. 6; could they still pick a QB?

Last edited:

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I think whoever Washington drafts will be starting on day 1, they won’t be bridging him with an overpriced contract who isn’t worth the trade value on top of it.
It won't surprise me if ur right...though it might depend on which QB they take.

If they take Daniels....I think they'll throw him in right away...as he's fairly pro-ready as far as rookies go.

Maye could definitely use a year on the bench to correct some things....but they very well may just get him to learn as he goes (not best for Maye IMO).

Also,...there's a world in which I could see them valuing the upside of McCarthy and surprising everyone and taking him instead (but this is a remote, like 2 to 5% chance kinda thing), and in this case he would DEFINITELY need the Jordan Love program of 2 years on the bench. McCarthy isn't even one of the top 30 best players in this draft, but SOME team is gonna draft him way higher than he should, and I doubt he makes it out of the Top 12. But he DEF needs time.

MarkP88

Reaction score
Giants signed Drew Lock to be the veteran backup - and seemingly be the starter until Daniel Jones gets back from his ACL injury.
Despite his struggles last season, HC Brian Daboll said yesterday at the league's meeting site in Orlando (Annual League Meeting is today through Wednesday) that he's still the QB.

Giants have pick no. 6; could they still pick a QB?
QB is definitely still on the table for NY in round one.

Flamma

Reaction score
So you want to get rid of Dak and let Lance start or draft Pennix? I am ok with getting rid of Dak if you all have a solid plan that makes sense. Not let’s get Mahomes or Allen. Make the plan realistic and understand that it will probably fail. That is why the Joneses will extend Dak soon.
I don't care what they do with Dak because this team isn't a SB contender with or without him. They'll extend him because it's important to the Jones boys that we have a good regular season. Most QBs would have trouble winning a SB here.

I'm not a Lance fan. If he started for the Cowboys, we'd have a top 3 pick next year.

Flamma

Reaction score
They made moves to get better in previous seasons but we no longer have the cap space. We didn’t take advantage of the good teams we had and now it appears the window may have closed.
Do you think they will extend Dak before the season starts? I do. If you don't, then you're right, we don't have the cap space. But if you do, then they could have done that already and opened up roughly 35M in cap space immediately. They chose not to open up that space.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don't care what they do with Dak because this team isn't a SB contender with or without him. They'll extend him because it's important to the Jones boys that we have a good regular season. Most QBs would have trouble winning a SB here.

I'm not a Lance fan. If he started for the Cowboys, we'd have a top 3 pick next year.
Lance has talent but his issue is he has not played quarterback much. I get it, he was a top 3 pick but during that crazy season. Lance should have transferred to a Division 1 school and actually played a season. The kid has played like in 7 games in since 2020. He is so far behind even the college kids.

stiletto

Reaction score
They can flip a number of switches on other contracts without even touching Dak's contract to get $20-30 million under the cap easily. They just don't want to. They use it as an excuse not to sign FA's.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Do you think they will extend Dak before the season starts? I do. If you don't, then you're right, we don't have the cap space. But if you do, then they could have done that already and opened up roughly 35M in cap space immediately. They chose not to open up that space.
They’ll likely do something before the season starts so they don’t risk losing him when he becomes a free agent. The Cowboys have three options. Do nothing, add voidable years to his deal or sign him to a massive contract extension. If they do nothing it puts Dak on the same win or else track as McCarthy who’s in the final year of his deal. It also gives Dak more leverage in negotiations, given that the team can't tag him in 2025 and he would be facing true unrestricted free agency for the first time at age 31. With nothing behind Dak the Cowboys are facing a dilemma. They’re going to have to do something. We’ll just have to see what they decide.

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
By opting for a modest kicking of the salary-cap can in 2024, the Cowboys embark on the last year of quarterback Dak Prescott’s contract at a cap number of $55.455 million. With no ability to tag him in 2025, and no apparent inclination to extend the deal now, the Cowboys seem to be willing to let him finish the contract and see what happens.

Full Article:
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...ng-to-let-dak-prescott-hit-the-market-in-2025
Can we trade him?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
They can flip a number of switches on other contracts without even touching Dak's contract to get $20-30 million under the cap easily. They just don't want to. They use it as an excuse not to sign FA's.
Totally agree with this. I feel that the FO has no idea how bring in the right free agents to build a winning team. They are comfortable in just the status quo and signing cheap FAs off the streets.

Pevansjr

Reaction score
Have you see Troy's playoff stats?

More importantly take a look at Emmitt Smith's.

Troy was a very good bus driver most of the time.

Let's add another factor. Our defense gave up 10, 13 and 17 points in Troy's 3 SB victories.
Come on, this take is absurd. Troy was a little more than a "very good bus driver"