News: PFT: Mike McCarthy didn't think he'd win a challenge when officials spotted CeeDee Lamb short

Starstruck22

Reaction score
Not every play, but there are a few spots every game that are close. I see no problem with making sure the spots are correct. There was no reason the NY guys couldn't have reviewed that spot last night. It was clear from the original view of the play that is was close and probably a first down. I think when 1 refs calls it a first and another ref overrules the first ref, it might be a good idea to take a second look.
You are missing the point. There is a clear bias for nfl refs to respot all Dallas balls back a yard from where they land on first downs.

erickbs

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I thought the official on the near side signalled first down, then got overruled by the guy on the other side of the field.

Yup, the female ref (a lot of member were complaining about) signaled first down and a male ref overruled her

Rayman70

Reaction score
McCarthy hit it on the head " he didn't think":facepalm:
every now and then the clueless Fat Mike persona of MM rears its ugly head which is when we get boneheaded decisions. Everyone saw that it was a first, but HE was the only guy that thought differently. DUMB.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
These refs were pretty partial tonight. Especially that down ref with the dinner on his chin all night.

droopdog7

Reaction score
That's actually the part I understand. The hurry up call was made in advance, and the team was running the play. What I don't understand is why nobody yelled, "Hey coach, that was a bad spot!"
I think most of saw that it was close. But you can't make the decision based on live action 9 times out of 10. That's why he NEEDED to scrap the quick play to give someone a chance to actually see the replay.

In other words, he would have been an idiot to challenge it blindly from the live view or from someone telling him to challenge it that hadn't seen the replay. He would was also an idiot for not allowing time to properly see the replay when WE were the ones actually controlling it.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think Mike McCarthy has been doing a good job this season but this is one instance where he did not. He said, "going by his experience when they tell him they had the ball carrier with the knee down before he extended the ball, they won't change the ruling on the field". Okay, Mike, noted but he needs to amend that thinking now because that was clearly a first down on replay. He has to challenge that call!!!!!

Taylor64

Reaction score
When will Jerry Jones realize that we need to recruit intelligent Coaches and Players, not just talented ones? Between the bonehead penalties and the stupid decisions by the coaches, the Cowboys are the most penalized team in the NFL. The coaches need to hold the players accountable. Diggs should not have allowed back in the game, when he made that idiotic decision to take his helmet off in the endzone and rant.....

cowboyec

Reaction score
the way that crew operated...he's probably right.
but i'd still wish he'd had challenged it.

droopdog7

Reaction score
The problem is giving both sides only two challenges. The guys in New York who are supposed to review plays to get them right should review spotting the ball too. It should not be about coaches making the right decisions when to challenge or using up their only 2 challenges, it should be about getting the calls right. If the NFL is worried about the length of games then they should show it be reducing the number and length of commercial breaks.
You must be young. That's how replay was when first introduced way back when. It was a TOTAL AND UTTER DISASTER. There were 20 stoppages a game.

droopdog7

Reaction score
It was a very bad spot, off by at least a yard. I'm shocked Lamb, or somebody didn't scream at MM to challenge it.
How many times do players scream for a challenge and they're wrong? Coaches that listen to the player are stupid because they're wrong way more times than not from my experience. The replay is how you judge and dummy didn't wait for it.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
So, do all you geniuses who believe you never err when watching a game, knowing what the team should have done after the play and the replay ever think that McCarthy had people in the booth looking at the play and offering advice?

CeeDee's elbow was on the ground. He stretched out. I thought it was a first, but we have seen easier calls go the wrong way. (I offer up for evidence the Tom Brady sack that was determined to be roughing the passer.) So when the results are bang-bang, and the coach of the team who is behind and getting their butt's whipped at the moment decides not to risk, all your Tom Foolery about what should have happened is Barco-Lounger coaching.

It seems this site never fails to take a position you people know more than the folks who get paid a great deal of money to live the life you pretend to live by making after the fact statements as if you could buy a clue on Wheel of Fortune.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Exactly. Maybe he saw the official who called it a first down, and never realized it was overruled?
Not exactly. Players are almost always wrong when they scream for a challenge. Coaches are stupid for listening to them.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Someone in the booth is supposed to be looking at replays and getting in his ear. Where were they?
Come on! MM did the equivalent of freezing the kicker. Team went so fast that they didn't even allow a replay. He froze the replay guy!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How many times do players scream for a challenge and they're wrong? Coaches that listen to the player are stupid because they're wrong way more times than not from my experience. The replay is how you judge and dummy didn't wait for it.
If Lamb had told him with enough conviction, maybe he would have waited for the replay. I'm not placing blame on CeeDee, nor am I excusing MM. I'm just listing one of several factors that went against them on that play.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not exactly. Players are almost always wrong when they scream for a challenge. Coaches are stupid for listening to them.
If the player doesn't act like it was a bad spot, why would the coach think it was? It's not about blindly listening to the player, it's about having a reason to think they should challenge.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I thought the official on the near side signalled first down, then got overruled by the guy on the other side of the field.

No, I just rewatched it and no official signaled first down. In fact, both walked towards the middle of the field in a line that was short of the 35 yard line and both signaled 4th Down. Collinsworth was confused. It didn't appear to be a case of one official bowing to another's judgement. What confused Collinsworth was that the female Side Judge "entered the field" across the 35 but her spot was almost the same as the guy across the field but she initially ran past the 35.

What is interesting is that both of those side officials had to run up the field to make their spots. The female official had to run from behind the play (she was at the 27). The guy on the near side was at the LOS at the 26 and he too ran forward to the 35 to make the spot. The guy was not stationed at the 1st Down marker as the replay made it seem. On the reverse angle of the Lamb stretch, you can see the guy in the background hopping forward up towards the 35 from behind the play.

There were also people on the Dallas bench getting after the female official for the spot but none of them told McCarthy to challenge either.