News: PFT: Mike McCarthy didn't think he'd win a challenge when officials spotted CeeDee Lamb short

droopdog7

Reaction score
If Lamb had told him with enough conviction, maybe he would have waited for the replay. I'm not placing blame on CeeDee, nor am I excusing MM. I'm just listing one of several factors that went against them on that play.
I've never seen a player NOT tell his coach to challenge with conviction. Conviction don't make a hill of beans. And here is the real kicker; if I'm CeeDee, how am I supposed to be 100% sure I made it before something touched the ground? Answer is, I'm not. And I'm not blaming CeeDee in anyway.

Super simple; take your time, wait for the replay guy to advise you, then make a decision. MM didn't wait and went hurry up instead.

droopdog7

Reaction score
If the player doesn't act like it was a bad spot, why would the coach think it was? It's not about blindly listening to the player, it's about having a reason to think they should challenge.
Here is the double whammy on MM. You want CeeDee to throw a tantrum while the coach decides to go into hurry up? When I can bet you even CeeDee isn't 100% sure he made in the moment.

How ridiculous is that? MM froze the replay guy and he froze CeeDee.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've never seen a player NOT tell his coach to challenge with conviction. Conviction don't make a hill of beans. And here is the real kicker; if I'm CeeDee, how am I supposed to be 100% sure I made it before something touched the ground? Answer is, I'm not. And I'm not blaming CeeDee in anyway.

Super simple; take your time, wait for the replay guy to advise you, then make a decision. MM didn't wait and went hurry up instead.
Your first sentence is why a player not insisting he made it would make the coach think he didn't make it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Here is the double whammy on MM. You want CeeDee to throw a tantrum while the coach decides to go into hurry up? When I can bet you even CeeDee isn't 100% sure he made in the moment.

How ridiculous is that? MM froze the replay guy and he froze CeeDee.
You're right, I did say he should have thrown a tantrum. Oh wait, no, I just said he should have screamed at MM that he got the first down...and by "scream", I mean so that he could hear him over the crowd.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Your first sentence is why a player not insisting he made it would make the coach think he didn't make it.
Okay sherlock; what if CeeDee did his conviction thing and stopped the hurry up that MM had planned. And what if CeeDee was wrong, as players are more times than not (from what I've seen)? You're placing unrealistic expectations on the player in that situation. He's playing football and the team went hurry up.

The coach should listen to ONE person, and one person only in these situations; that's the guy in the booth. MM didn't give that guy any time to do his job.

droopdog7

Reaction score
You're right, I did say he should have thrown a tantrum. Oh wait, no, I just said he should have screamed at MM that he got the first down...and by "scream", I mean so that he could hear him over the crowd.
Instead of running the hurry up play? When CeeDee isn't sure he made it himself? Ridiculous.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Instead of running the hurry up play? When CeeDee isn't sure he made it himself? Ridiculous.
How long does it take to yell, Hey coach, I made the first!", then get in position for the play? And where did you hear that CeeDee wasn't sure he made it?

lostar2009

Reaction score
Its 50/50, I cant blame the guy. You gotta know he is not at home watching the game live with replays.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Okay sherlock; what if CeeDee did his conviction thing and stopped the hurry up that MM had planned. And what if CeeDee was wrong, as players are more times than not (from what I've seen)? You're placing unrealistic expectations on the player in that situation. He's playing football and the team went hurry up.

The coach should listen to ONE person, and one person only in these situations; that's the guy in the booth. MM didn't give that guy any time to do his job.
If CeeDee had stopped the hurry up thing and MM challenged, he would have been right and they would have gotten a first down. If they had still decided it wasn't a first down, they would have probably come up with a better play, which would have gotten them the first down, Watson.

droopdog7

Reaction score
How long does it take to yell, Hey coach, I made the first!", then get in position for the play? And where did you hear that CeeDee wasn't sure he made it?
I heard CeeDee was sure he didn't make it in the same place you heard he was sure he did. My point is that a lot of players think they're right and they aren't. IT'S NOT LIKE THAT YELLOW LINE ON TV IS REAL. So whether he's sure or not doesn't matter AT ALL to me. The only guy I'm trusting is the replay person. That's it.

As for how long it take for CeeDee to yell something, it takes more than you think. First, I don't know where CeeDee was on the field in comparison to MM or whether CeeDee even knew where MM was. Second, it took time for the spot to occur and then for CeeDee to process what happened. Then we immediately go into hurry.

UNREALISTIC.

droopdog7

Reaction score
If CeeDee had stopped the hurry up thing and MM challenged, he would have been right and they would have gotten a first down. If they had still decided it wasn't a first down, they would have probably come up with a better play, which would have gotten them the first down, Watson.
Yeah, that's called HINDSIGHT. The real world don't work that way.

Creeper

Reaction score
You must be young. That's how replay was when first introduced way back when. It was a TOTAL AND UTTER DISASTER. There were 20 stoppages a game.

haha, no I am not young but I wish I was. Keep in mind there are unlimited replays today in the last two minutes of the game, not by the coaches but by replay officials. I think choosing which plays to review is actually fairly easy to decide. We do not see significant delays in the last two minutes of the game but we do see plays reviewed and reversed by the replay officials.

I mean if you see a play on on the network telecast and it looks like the officials may have gotten it wrong, it takes a few seconds to review it. Spotting the ball in a pile up is impossible even with replay. but on a play like the Lamb catch, it would be very simple.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Then why were you asking me about "what if"? A little bit of cognitive dissonance there.
I don't think you know what cognitive dissonance is? What I'm doing is judging what happened with the information that was available at the time. Of course if we all KNEW he made it in the moment, the play is challenged. Might as well end the conversation now if that's your mindset.

droopdog7

Reaction score
haha, no I am not young but I wish I was. Keep in mind there are unlimited replays today in the last two minutes of the game, not by the coaches but by replay officials. I think choosing which plays to review is actually fairly easy to decide. We do not see significant delays in the last two minutes of the game but we do see plays reviewed and reversed by the replay officials.

I mean if you see a play on on the network telecast and it looks like the officials may have gotten it wrong, it takes a few seconds to review it. Spotting the ball in a pile up is impossible even with replay. but on a play like the Lamb catch, it would be very simple.
It's similar to this in the college game, though it's gotten better recently. Stoppages can be insufferable. Sometimes you just accept human error as part of the game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to fire the guy. He needs to at the very least get a new instant replay guy in the booth to tell him when to challenge. The current person is an idiot.
yeah and that is what challenges are for, even if he lost, he only loses a TO in first half, which probably went unused !
That was super bad game mgmt.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
They snapped the next play so fast there was no way he looked at the video to see if he got the first or not.