News: PFT: NFL: Goodell was aware of Kia Roberts’ opinions

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
time-to-fire-up-the-meme-machine-31-photos-222.jpg

:D :D

:laugh: Sam I Am is not alone. I stopped watching all NFL games years ago. I only watch Cowboys games.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Nope your wrong again. Libel and slander comes into play in this situation. Zeke can sue based on character defamation based on either/or libel or slander. Doesn't matter which but he has a right to sue if he so choose to do so.

Zeke can take it to court and its possible that the NFL will have to pay a certain amount based on the information given. The judge decides the amount. It can be a few dollars or it can range from multi millions of dollars.

You don't need to malice to prove libel or slander. All it needs is reasonably, strong evidence for a court to honor it.

Look up Oprah vs. the Texan Cattle Company. Oprah had no malice whatsoever. Still the Cattle companies sued her. So your wrong about need malice.
Proving a slander or libel case against a celebrity requires a level of proof that is so high that it's nearly impossible. There is no case yet.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Nope your wrong again. Libel and slander comes into play in this situation. Zeke can sue based on character defamation based on either/or libel or slander. Doesn't matter which but he has a right to sue if he so choose to do so.

Zeke can take it to court and its possible that the NFL will have to pay a certain amount based on the information given. The judge decides the amount. It can be a few dollars or it can range from multi millions of dollars.

You don't need to malice to prove libel or slander. All it needs is reasonably, strong evidence for a court to honor it.

Look up Oprah vs. the Texan Cattle Company. Oprah had no malice whatsoever. Still the Cattle companies sued her. So your wrong about need malice.
Oprah won bud. You do have to prove malice

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Yes, you do need malice (to win). Look at the Sarah Palin case that just got dismissed. Edit: This is apparently not required universally in these cases.

And, no defamation is not in play at this moment. Zeke has not and may not file a defamation case. If and when he does, that is a completely separate issue from his suspension. He is fighting his suspension and that will hinge on the process. Right now, all I care about is the suspension.

Last edited:

superonyx

Reaction score
This is what happens when someone has the nerve to ask to face their accuser. Something that is the law of our land. What is this Riyadh? Asking to have the right to cross examine a person who made allegation so shaky that 2 different police departments and a league hired investigator didn't believe is somehow trampling victims rights...

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Yes, you do need malice (to win). Look at the Sarah Palin case that just got dismissed.

And, no defamation is not in play at this moment. Zeke has not and may not file a defamation case. If and when he does, that is a completely separate issue from his suspension. He is fighting his suspension and that will hinge on the process. Right now, all I care about is the suspension.

LOL defamation can be in play if you Zeke decides to take it to that direction.

Like I said you don't need malice. Look up Oprah vs. Texan Cattle Company. You just have to prove that because of some action that it cause monetary harm to someone.

Please go educate yourself. Your on the wrong side of the argument. But your too stubborn to know it.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I believe I've made mine too. I think I will sit out this season and not watch any NFL games. They (like the NBA) disgusts me. I no longer watch NBA and it's possible I will no longer watch the NFL. I think I only watched like five games last year. Zero shouldn't be too hard to do.

I can't watch the NBA either. I'm down to Cowboys games only, but I can't cut the cord there. I didn't watch the Super Bowl, but I told my sons exactly how the game would play out. Like exactly. Right down to the holding call on the Falcons to put them out of fg range on what could have been the clinching drive.

I know everyone thinks I have a tin foil hat, but the league just doesn't seem on the up and up to me.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Keep digging Lisa, keep digging...

In what backassward way of investigating does the only person who interviewed the accused victim six times not have all of the evidence?!?!

Assbackward is the new normalcy. Welcome to 2017.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
LOL defamation can be in play if you Zeke decides to take it to that direction.

Like I said you don't need malice. Look up Oprah vs. Texan Cattle Company. You just have to prove that because of some action that it cause monetary harm to someone.

Please go educate yourself. Your on the wrong side of the argument. But your too stubborn to know it.

There are different requirements in defamation cases. Some do require malice.

It is still irrelevant to the suspension.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
There are different requirements in defamation cases. Some do require malice.

It is still irrelevant to the suspension.

LOL now there are different requirements? Seriously?

You can take anyone to court. You don't need requirements.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
LOL now there are different requirements? Seriously?

You can take anyone to court. You don't need requirements.

Taking someone to court is different from not having a case thrown out, let alone winning. And yes, there are different requirements, particularly with celebrities and public officials.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Yep. Whatever went down, it smells to high hell.

If I were Jerry Jones, I'd be pissed off and I bet he is.

Oh, he is. That's why the Cowboys counsel filed the supporting complaint, essentially. It's Jerry's way of communicating to the league that a) he is 100% behind his player in this case (unlike the deflating football case with Brady...yes they offered words of support but not too much support - they knew Brady wasn't innocent); and b) it says to the league owners and to the league that as Jerry Jones, he doesn't necessarily know if he has confidence for that contract extension for the commissioner...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
This is what happens when someone has the nerve to ask to face their accuser. Something that is the law of our land. What is this Riyadh? Asking to have the right to cross examine a person who made allegation so shaky that 2 different police departments and a league hired investigator didn't believe is somehow trampling victims rights...

Lockhart is the same stooge that wanted to sue the NY Times over reporting CTE.

Quality human being.

Y'know what they say about 1,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean...

YR

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Taking someone to court is different from not having a case thrown out, let alone winning. And yes, there are different requirements, particularly with celebrities and public officials.

Your spinning the argument. Were not talking about getting anything thrown on. Zeke can take the NFL to court right now without any requirements. Period.

The requirements to taking someone to court boils down to money. Nothing more. So like I mentioned - your wrong.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

The big things that need to be proven is that it's a lie and it either hurt the person financially or emotionally.

Jesse Ventura's case against Chris Kyle is a good example. He was a public figure, but he was able to show that Kyle lied. It wasn't about Kyle knocking out Ventura (which never happened either), it had to do with Kyle claiming that Ventura said 'we deserve to lose a few (soldiers).'

Because Ventura's team was able to prove that Kyle never knocked out Ventura and essentially the two weren't involved in anything...thus Ventura could prove that he never made that statement.

And Ventura was suing Kyle based on that statement because he could reasonably argue that it would cost him financially by hurting his reputation and possibly emotionally if it drew nutjobs that harassed Ventura based on Kyle's lie in his book.

The court eventually reversed the decision on appeal due to a technicality (Ventura's team wanted to make it clear that Kyle's estate wouldn't even pay a penny in a lawsuit as it would be paid by the publisher's insurance company and Ventura's team got the okay from the judge to point that out and the appeals court deemed that to be illegal to do despite getting the judge's okay).

With Elliott it's going to be a bit more difficult since the NFL didn't explicitly say that he abused a woman. And there's an employer/employee relationship with 'conduct' being involved. Elliott could certainly prove that this would hurt him financially, but it's a little tricky to claim that the NFL explicitly defamed Elliott.

YR

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Your spinning the argument. Were not talking about getting anything thrown on. Zeke can take the NFL to court right now without any requirements. Period.

The requirements to taking someone to court boils down to money. Nothing more. So like I mentioned - your wrong.

Who cares about taking someone to court? That's not the issue. The issue is what is required to prove the case and win. This goes back to the strawman thing.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The big things that need to be proven is that it's a lie and it either hurt the person financially or emotionally.

Jesse Ventura's case against Chris Kyle is a good example. He was a public figure, but he was able to show that Kyle lied. It wasn't about Kyle knocking out Ventura (which never happened either), it had to do with Kyle claiming that Ventura said 'we deserve to lose a few (soldiers).'

Because Ventura's team was able to prove that Kyle never knocked out Ventura and essentially the two weren't involved in anything...thus Ventura could prove that he never made that statement.

And Ventura was suing Kyle based on that statement because he could reasonably argue that it would cost him financially by hurting his reputation and possibly emotionally if it drew nutjobs that harassed Ventura based on Kyle's lie in his book.

The court eventually reversed the decision on appeal due to a technicality (Ventura's team wanted to make it clear that Kyle's estate wouldn't even pay a penny in a lawsuit as it would be paid by the publisher's insurance company and Ventura's team got the okay from the judge to point that out and the appeals court deemed that to be illegal to do despite getting the judge's okay).

With Elliott it's going to be a bit more difficult since the NFL didn't explicitly say that he abused a woman. And there's an employer/employee relationship with 'conduct' being involved. Elliott could certainly prove that this would hurt him financially, but it's a little tricky to claim that the NFL explicitly defamed Elliott.

YR

I am sure it varies by state. Malice is required in some cases (see Palin v. New York Times - Thrown out due to a supposed lack of malice, also Vilma v. NFL).

Kevinicus

Reaction score
What about the suspension? It has everything to do with the suspension. Come on now.

Defamation is not related to the suspension case. The suspension case depends on the process. Defamation would involve his guilt/innocence (as well as the process in this case).