News: PFT: NFL: Goodell was aware of Kia Roberts’ opinions

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Apparently Roberts' interviews with Thompson describe Zeke using significant amounts of cocaine and weed, and he drinks heavily almost every day.

That's what concernsme long term.

As a running back, "long term" doesn't exist. He'll get maybe one extra contract but he won't get a third contract in Dallas.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
You misunderstand what I am saying. The supression of evidence does show the process is flawed and that is one reason Zeke now appears to have a stronger case. And that is what will be focused on in court.

And no, the extension of my logic does not suggest that he could suspend anyone for any reason. Not at all. *Any* reason would not fall within the scope of the CBA.
Perhaps I misunderstood your argument, and I apologize. Collectively many of the arguments I'm reading appear to be making a distinction that bears no difference. Whether the "process" or the likelihood of Elliott's guilt are at issue, the result could be the same. In this case, the argument that the process is flawed and the argument that Elliott is innocent, as far as the evidence extends, appear to me to be equally self-evident.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Do you understand that not every law applies to every situation? Innocent until proven guilty applies to the government charging an individual with a crime.

The way the NFL has *handled* this mess is what the court will deal with, NOT his guilt or innocence. That is what we have always said, and now there is more evidence that they did not handle this properly. The NFL is stupid. They could have gotten away with the suspension if they had followed procedures and not blocked evidence etc and then just made their wrongheaded ruling anyway. Instead they provided lots of evidence to damn themselves.

The law absolutely applies in this situation if it goes to court. Whether its a big business like the NFL or an individual.

The NFL can do whatever they please regarding the conduct policy. But when it goes to a court of law they will take whatever the NFL did to botch this case. Thus it will be used against them in a court of law.

The NFL could not have gotten away with it because like I said, they are still bound by the laws protecting individuals here in this country.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Apparently Roberts' interviews with Thompson describe Zeke using significant amounts of cocaine and weed, and he drinks heavily almost every day.

Then drug test him. On the spot. If old boy loves the nose powder- he ain't quitting now and finding it in his system would give them that much more ammo.
This garbage is garbage. Nobody took this seriously after the DECISION was made. Just make it look bad for old boy and use lots of multi syllabic words with conviction.
That should make the crowds pander... At least all of the people that aren't Cowboys fans.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Perhaps I misunderstood your argument, and I apologize. Collectively many of the arguments I'm reading appear to be making a distinction that bears no difference. Whether the "process" or the likelihood of Elliott's guilt are at issue, the result could be the same. In this case, the argument that the process is flawed and the argument that Elliott is innocent, as far as the evidence extends, appear to me to be equally self-evident.

I agree, all evidence points to both. I've always thought that. I just didn't think Zeke had much of a case that would matter in court until recently. The NFL's statement on victim shaming prior to an appeal was the first time I thought there may be enough process evidence for Zeke to have a chance. And with the latest news, I now think he has a possible case for defamation.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The law absolutely applies in this situation if it goes to court. Whether its a big business like the NFL or an individual.

The NFL can do whatever they please regarding the conduct policy. But when it goes to a court of law they will take whatever the NFL did to botch this case. Thus it will be used against them in a court of law.

The NFL could not have gotten away with it because like I said, they are still bound by the laws protecting individuals here in this country.

Key phrase, "what the NFL did," i.e. the process, not guilt or innocence.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

What part of ruining his career are people struggling with ...........Lie Small Lie All....TT is a liar

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Key phrase, "what the NFL did," i.e. the process, not guilt or innocence.

What the NFL did was suspend Elliott for no reason whatsoever. Laws prohibit such actions especially when there is monetary value involved. Thus the NFL is liable for slander.

Say what you want about the process. The NFL can still be taken to court and lose based on laws protecting it's citizens.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
What the NFL did was suspend Elliott for no reason whatsoever. Laws prohibit such actions especially when there is monetary value involved. Thus the NFL is liable for slander.

Say what you want about the process. The NFL can still be taken to court and lose based on laws protecting it's citizens.

Laws don't prevent people from suspecting anything. In fact, laws guarantee that right. You are just flat out wrong and don't know what you're talking about.

The laws that protect citizens (in this case laborers) are what the court case(s) will be about, and those laws concern the process.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Laws don't prevent people from suspecting anything. In fact, laws guarantee that right. You are just flat out wrong and don't know what you're talking about.

The laws that protect citizens (in this case laborers) are what the court case(s) will be about, and those laws concern the process.

Seems like you don't have a clue. I didn't say people suspecting others of wrongdoing. I said things about character defamation, slander and libel. Which is illegal and exactly what the NFL is doing to Zeke.

Go and look it up before discussing this matter any further. I'm thru trying to educate you.

Plankton

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Seems like you don't have a clue. I didn't say people suspecting others of wrongdoing. I said things about character defamation, slander and libel. Which is illegal and exactly what the NFL is doing to Zeke.

Go and look it up before discussing this matter any further. I'm thru trying to educate you.

Slander and libel require malice...which also goes to the process (as well as guilt/innocence), but as of this moment slander and libel are not in play. The court cases regarding the suspension are not about libel or slander. That would be a defamation case and may or may not come into play later.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I still think they're lying, but them coming out and saying he knew or was aware is not any better than if they kept information from him.

Either way it looks like ****.

Yep. Whatever went down, it smells to high hell.

If I were Jerry Jones, I'd be pissed off and I bet he is.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The statement released saying Goodell knew about Roberts' opinion shows what a clown show the league is. Now that becomes evidence. Once the suit was filed there should have been nothing of substance coming out of the league office. Stupid move

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Slander and libel require malice...which also goes to the process (as well as guilt/innocence), but as of this moment slander and libel are not in play. The court cases regarding the suspension are not about libel or slander. That would be a defamation case and may or may not come into play later.

Nope your wrong again. Libel and slander comes into play in this situation. Zeke can sue based on character defamation based on either/or libel or slander. Doesn't matter which but he has a right to sue if he so choose to do so.

Zeke can take it to court and its possible that the NFL will have to pay a certain amount based on the information given. The judge decides the amount. It can be a few dollars or it can range from multi millions of dollars.

You don't need to malice to prove libel or slander. All it needs is reasonably, strong evidence for a court to honor it.

Look up Oprah vs. the Texan Cattle Company. Oprah had no malice whatsoever. Still the Cattle companies sued her. So your wrong about need malice.