News: PFT: NFL will file for expedited appeal in Ezekiel Elliott case

Silverstar

Reaction score
Legal experts generally agree he will serve the suspension eventually. It seems wrong, but that's what most of them claim.

Doesn't serving the 6 game suspension cause irreparable harm to Elliott's career and the team as well? I thought that was also part of his defense when filing the appeal etc. The fact, he'll never get those games back or help the team win those 6 games. After all, he was the NFL's leading rusher last year. You can't say he's just a marginal player and his absence is inconsequential to how teams play the Cowboys.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Elliott suspension could begin Week Three, at the earliest
Posted by Mike Florio on September 14, 2017, 2:47 PM EDT

839678916-e1505138780386.jpg

Getty Images

As the NFL tries to pull the plug on the ruling that pulls the plug on the suspension of Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott, the appeals court could be plugging in the process of giving the league a ruling as soon as next week.

Per a league source, the NFL believes that a ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit staying the preliminary injunction blocking the suspension could happen by early next week. This would mean that Elliott, if the league wins, would begin to serve his six-game suspension as of Week Three (when the Cowboys facing the Cardinals on a Monday night), with the ability to continue to challenge the suspension in court. Though he’d be paid for the games he’d miss if successful, he’d likely miss the six games

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nsion-could-begin-week-three-at-the-earliest/

That sounds like spin and hyperbole from the league office to me. Why would an appeals court that is backlogged 6-8 months issue a ruling on anything new within a week? If they rule that soon, it will no doubt be to uphold Mazzant injunction. There is no way they come back that fast and tell Zeke he has to sit and be harmed while the case moves through a slow court. The easy and quick decision if it comes next week is to side with the only party that can be harmed and that's Zeke.

erod

Reaction score
You keep repeating that without any proof.....

It's not my opinion. It's just what virtually every legal expert that appears on ESPN, local radio, NFL Network, etc, is saying.

I think it's wrong. But the court system is impossible to predict.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
lol, it took 13 months to get to this point and now they want to "expedite" it........Goodell is so lost.
I'm sure Goodell isn't making any day-to-day decisions and gets a regular Daily report at the end of every day and he just puts his head in his hands.
It's becoming a habit for him...

Like a director getting his daily rushes and he Knows, he just KNOWS he needs to credit himself Alan Smithee.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's not my opinion. It's just what virtually every legal expert that appears on ESPN, local radio, NFL Network, etc, is saying.

I think it's wrong. But the court system is impossible to predict.
It's propaganda that doesn't merit repeating as fact as you are doing. I don't believe anything coming from BSPN. these days. They'd love people to believe that line of BS. Of course their so called "legal experts" will say that.

robjay04

Reaction score
Doesn't serving the 6 game suspension cause irreparable harm to Elliott's career and the team as well? I thought that was also part of his defense when filing the appeal etc. The fact, he'll never get those games back or help the team win those 6 games. After all, he was the NFL's leading rusher last year. You can't say he's just a marginal player and his absence is inconsequential to how teams play the Cowboys.

I think most do believe he will eventually face the suspension...I'm hopeful but I wouldn't put money against the machine that is the NFL.

I think there is a zero percent chance the NFL blocks the injunction though for the reasons you stated.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That just came across my phone, but what is he basing that on? Is it just a guess on his part?
It's based on the Texas Judge sticking to his guns and a 5th Circuit of Appeals backlog that won't be able to see this case this year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Negative. I'm not using a high pick on some inferior bench player to Zeke Elliott just because fans are hyperventilating over a suspension.

10-15 touches a game? Show me the backup that got that last week. Did you just make that up? If the Cowboys draft an inferior running back to get 10-15 touches in a rotation with Zeke they are complete and total morons. Congrats. You made your offense worse by watering down one of the best players in the game.

Let's draft a player high because another player has a 6 game suspension looming.

Fans.
almost every backfield is a committee ........get a grip.......RB2 is more important to us than a 5th CB

we need another star RB whether he gets suspended or not....don't know if you noticed but we are built to run the ball and RBs are severely underpaid and underrated

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I think most do believe he will eventually face the suspension...I'm hopeful but I wouldn't put money against the machine that is the NFL.

I think there is a zero percent chance the NFL blocks the injunction though for the reasons you stated.
Interesting Daniel Wallach, who seems to be highliy regarded, expects Elliott to win in the end. But I do agree more analysts -- at least those quoted -- expect the league to prevail. I would like to filter out the analysts who work for companies with a natural bias to support the league, but that could be difficult.

robjay04

Reaction score
Interesting Daniel Wallach, who seems to be highliy regarded, expects Elliott to win in the end. But I do agree more analysts -- at least those quoted -- expect the league to prevail. I would like to filter out the analysts who work for companies with a natural bias to support the league, but that could be difficult.

Oh I have been following Wallach very closely during this past ideas and he gives me hope.

I even think he is timid...he thinks Zeke has a good case, better than Brady, but it's still difficult to envision the machine taking a loss until it actually happens.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Negative. I'm not using a high pick on some inferior bench player to Zeke Elliott just because fans are hyperventilating over a suspension.

10-15 touches a game? Show me the backup that got that last week. Did you just make that up? If the Cowboys draft an inferior running back to get 10-15 touches in a rotation with Zeke they are complete and total morons. Congrats. You made your offense worse by watering down one of the best players in the game.

Let's draft a player high because another player has a 6 game suspension looming.

Fans.
BTW 46 RBs had 10+ touches last week...............how many are teams are there again???

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
It's based on the Texas Judge sticking to his guns and a 5th Circuit of Appeals backlog that won't be able to see this case this year.

Yeah, I know all of that. I was just wondering if something had actually happened to make Shefter make this statement as if it was in stone.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IMO most analyst say Zeke will eventually lose because that is what they assume will happen based on prior cases. I wonder how many have actually read through all the data and have stated an informed opinion?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That just came across my phone, but what is he basing that on? Is it just a guess on his part?

They are all basing it on article 46 but I think that the previous judge said that is based on fairness and the NFL violated the fairness.

I think Zeke has a better than 50% chance to have the whole thing dropped.

The NFL should ask him to serve 1 game so the court can never have the chance of ruling against them and article 46 still keeps it's "power".