News: PFT: NFL will file for expedited appeal in Ezekiel Elliott case

Kevin T

Reaction score
So, let's suppose his suspensions holds and he serves it. Could he not file a punitive suit against the NFL for defaming his character with no proof after this is all said and done?? His legal team has to be foaming at the mouth waiting to get their hands on this.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
IMO most analyst say Zeke will eventually lose because that is what they assume will happen based on prior cases. I wonder how many have actually read through all the data and have stated an informed opinion?

I also think the NFLPA will want to see this to the very end for all future dealings going forward including the CBA.

I don't really think this has much to do with Zeke anymore and it's more about the NFL keeping it's power and the NFLPA showing that they can be ruled against for breaking trust.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
apparently the NFL hired this Paul Clement guy, WALLACHLEGAL deleted that tweet though hmmmm

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Spoken by a man who doesn't have to pay his legal fees.

And one of the first to lament should this suspension occur during a late season playoff race.

RS

I think the NFLPA is paying his legal fees.

Obviously, there's more important things than money in life. But, if EE is able to prove that this was a complete railroad job, in the end he'll make MORE money out of it than if he took his punishment because of future endorsement deals.

My stance has always been that this is more important than football. It's about a man being accused of doing something that he didn't do that is truly a heinous crime.

YR

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
almost every backfield is a committee ........get a grip.......RB2 is more important to us than a 5th CB

we need another star RB whether he gets suspended or not....don't know if you noticed but we are built to run the ball and RBs are severely underpaid and underrated

No doubt. McFadden and Morris are getting long in the tooth. I would think they already had plans to draft another back in 2018 anyways.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
So, let's suppose his suspensions holds and he serves it. Could he not file a punitive suit against the NFL for defaming his character with no proof after this is all said and done?? His legal team has to be foaming at the mouth waiting to get their hands on this.

I would.

I believe the NFL has lost sight of long-term ramifications in their attempt to establish ultimate power.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I don't get why they care when he serves the suspension. Seems odd. Or are they just pissed at the NFLPA?

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the league somehow convinced the 5th Circuit of Appeals to overturn the injunction.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I don't get why they care when he serves the suspension. Seems odd. Or are they just pissed at the NFLPA?

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the league somehow convinced the 5th Circuit of Appeals to overturn the injunction.

I can think of three reasons why they are pushing this:

1. They want to invalidate Mazaant's very strong ruling against them.
  2. They want this case moved to New York.
  3. They don't want the star running back of the most visible team in the league doing interviews after the game where he says he's just glad he finally had a fair trial. Once Zeke's suspended, he's invisible.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
almost every backfield is a committee ........get a grip.......RB2 is more important to us than a 5th CB

we need another star RB whether he gets suspended or not....don't know if you noticed but we are built to run the ball and RBs are severely underpaid and underrated

Our backup RB got 4 touches last week.

You were saying?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the NFLPA is paying his legal fees.

Obviously, there's more important things than money in life. But, if EE is able to prove that this was a complete railroad job, in the end he'll make MORE money out of it than if he took his punishment because of future endorsement deals.

My stance has always been that this is more important than football. It's about a man being accused of doing something that he didn't do that is truly a heinous crime.

YR

He has zero shot to win. It's just a waste of money and delaying the inevitable.

The fact that it's wrong is a given. I understand why he's fighting it. I also understand why he won't win and will be suspended for 6 games.

diefree666

Reaction score
IMO most analyst say Zeke will eventually lose because that is what they assume will happen based on prior cases. I wonder how many have actually read through all the data and have stated an informed opinion?
most so called 'experts' are not. Most lawyers are frankly not all that great. And many like to toe the popular line.

By zeroing in on the NFL being unfair the judge pretty much destroyed the previous arguments that kept quoting the CBA and article 46 like they were written by the Finger of GOD.

Fundamental fairness as I have said before is not only a recognized CONSTITUTIONAL right but a HUMAN RIGHT. That destroys anything minor like a CBA.

THAT is why some of the more bold lawyers believe Zeke has a good chance of winning.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Chance to get a stay of the preliminary injunction are slim and none for NFL..........no legal argument can be given as to how Zeke playing now and serving the suspension later, ala Brady, would do irreparable harm to the league and that is the standard they would have to show at the 5th Circuit.

Their motion for a stay will be denied..........best they can hope for is that 5th Circuit agrees to an expedited appeal process, but that would still take months. The average time from motion to decision in 5th Circuit is just over 8 months, so even if you cut that in half you are looking at mid January at the earliest.

Also keep in mind that the 5th Circuit overturn rate is just over 7%, meaning 93% of the cases are upheld. So its not going to be a cake walk for the NFL to get a reversal from the 5th, they really don't like overruling their lower court judges.