News: PFT: Report: Kellen Moore expected to be Cowboys quarterbacks coach

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ascension of Sean McVey suggests that maybe sometimes highly competent coaching talent begins to show up earlier than we're used to.

Besides that, there's some natural reason for confidence that when one person's job is at-stake and another person's isn't, the decision that the person whose job is at-stake... in this case, Garrett's, and/or Linehan's... is more likely the smart one. All due respect to the fact that, still, we all as fans are entitled to voice our opinion.

McVey is a nice example.

Notice how he was an assistant for several years first before getting a positional coaching job. Even coaching in the UFL.

Quite a different path from Moore's. Or Garrett's.

Dre11

Reaction score
Duce Staley was a Pro Bowl RB who became a RB coach ONLY after being an intern then STs asst. Keenan McCardell became a WR coach after a pretty successful career as a WR. You aren't really going to use them to compare to this situation.

No problem with Moore being a QC coach then working with the receivers before becoming a QB coach.

Doesn't matter they had no COACHING EXPERIENCE. Yes I'm going to use it, because their success doesn't mean they can coach it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm laughing at the board meltdown at this hiring. Moore is going to be an excellent coach. He has been under around coaching his whole life. His father was a coach and he played amazing college football under a great head coach (Chris Peterson). So he wasn't built to play in the NFL? So what, he can't coach now? Give the guy a chance.

I guess hiring of "so and so" would have been much better. "Yeah, awesome hiring!", though they've never even heard of their name before. haha

I am willing to give him a chance if we do indeed go this route but this move smacks of a lack of a better option given that even if he appears to have talent it has never manifested in reality and is as such a complete unknown. Hope is not a plan.

That Garrett was produced in a similar fashion should at the least indicate the board's reaction. At best, it's not good planning even if it does work.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Doesn't matter they had no COACHING EXPERIENCE. Yes I'm going to use it, because their success doesn't mean they can coach it.

You don't understand the difference in a WR or RB coach vs a QB coach. The former need experience playing. They don't need to be HOF RB or WR but they need to understand the position from their experience. The latter needs experience but also is served by being involved in the offense first. Generally QB coaches have a resume of success in the NFL and/or worked their way up the ladder starting in the film room as a QC coach then often serve as a TE coach before becoming a QB position coach. Don't try to tell us Moore worked with Linehan so long he's soaked up all he needs.

BTW, he's played in THREE games and started two. He has 6 INTs and 4 TDs with a 71 rtg. Linehan is the only one who wanted the guy then.

What you're doing is called rationalization. You can't spin this enough to wipe the stink off. I'm finished talking about something that requires mere common sense to understand.

Dre11

Reaction score
You don't understand the difference in a WR or RB coach vs a QB coach. The former need experience playing. They don't need to be HOF RB or WR but they need to understand the position from their experience. The latter needs experience but also is served by being involved in the offense first. Generally QB coaches have a resume of success in the NFL and/or worked their way up the ladder starting in the film room as a QC coach then often serve as a TE coach before becoming a QB position coach. Don't try to tell us Moore worked with Linehan so long he's soaked up all he needs.

BTW, he's played in THREE games and started two. He has 6 INTs and 4 TDs with a 71 rtg. Linehan is the only one who wanted the guy then.

What you're doing is called rationalization. You can't spin this enough to wipe the stink off. I'm finished talking about something that requires mere common sense to understand.
Dude I've been coaching for over 15 years and been in plenty seminars, clinics with coaches at both college and pro levels, from Kevin Gilbride,Al Saunders,Mike Locksley, and Brian Stewart. All position coaches coach techniques and skills required to play that position. Either you can coach techniques or can't and that's for all positions not just qb.

Dre11

Reaction score

You don't understand coaching, you do not need experience playing to be a successful coach. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I've said Moore isn't guaranteed to fail just there are better candidates out there. That's factual.

Dak isn't reading defenses well and I've heard him tell Linehan that during a game on the sidelines. Plus, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see he's having problems. There is plenty of commentary out there, for what's that worth, that he's not making the reads. TBF, teams have loaded the box and dared him to throw it. It's factual that cost us games and the offense scored pitifully over stretches some new records for futility for the Boys. So what part of that is gibberish? We scored 354 pts this year which is 22 PPG. That's particularly ugly when we went several games without scoring a TD. So we either scored 30 PPG or we failed miserably. It's up to Dak in the majority then you can blame the scheme, playcalling and receivers for that fail. It's up to Dak to know where the hot read routes are and hit them. It's up to him to beat the blitz although I freely admit it's not 100% on him. Blaming the OL and the running game is not based in reality. We averaged 4.6 YPC without EE.

Where'd you get those numbers. We scored 354 pts this year. Do the math.

So unless you want to exonerate the QB as the principal architect of the offense then you're full of gibberish.

Yeah there is commentary about Dak having problems. And that same commentary talks about the lack of speed on offense that will open the field up. And talks about the the Tyron injury and Dallas not having a suitable backup. And even talks about the coaching and not changing it up to keep teams guessing on whats coming next. How come ur not talking about that when talking about dak? I dare you to look for hot routes run by these WRs.

Do you know why Dallas avgd 4.6 yrds per carry without elliot? Maybe you do but dont like Dak but its clearly there to see if you watch the game. Because the opposing team played the pass and dared the team to run. We didnt see them 7-8 man fronts Elliot sees. Do really think Morris and Smith scared anybody?

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

22.1 pts a game isnt that what i said?

wileedog

Reaction score
You know when you take a chance and hire a guy who has never coached anything at any level? When you have a guy like Romo in his prime who has the experience and know how and doesn't need a ton of input from his QB coach. Let him cut his teeth and gain experience with a vet QB who has seen pretty much everything already.

Know when you DON'T take a chance on a guy who has never coached anything at any level? When your QB going into his 3rd season is coming off a completely disastrous 2nd half to his last one and has regressed very badly from his first season. I can't stress enough how important a good offseason and a strong first half showing is next year is to Dak. If he comes out early next year playing anything like he did down the stretch of this season, he is toast. He will lose the team and the fanbase in a hurry.

I don't think most people care Moore was a terrible QB on the field - most coaches never saw the field at this level. I do care that he has never coached anything, anywhere before, and you are gambling on him in probably the most crucial time in Dak's career. He may good at it, he may be terrible, we don't know - but why flip this particular coin now? Like everything in Jerry-World, the need to be comfortable and familiar with everyone in the system just over-rides common sense.

Dre11

Reaction score

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nfl-coaches-have-experience-playing-in-league

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

Doesn't surprise that 19% of HCs never played in the NFL. Enough college coaches go on to be NFL HCs. College players work their way up the ladder as well. They aren't all Jimmy Johnsons.

But that doesn't rebut RB or WR coaches. Show me the data there. I'd be amazed many didn't play in the NFL. HCs can hire people with the experience he wants. He doesn't have to provide it himself.

Your post has nothing to do with being a QB coach. More attempts to rationalize.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yeah there is commentary about Dak having problems. And that same commentary talks about the lack of speed on offense that will open the field up. And talks about the the Tyron injury and Dallas not having a suitable backup. And even talks about the coaching and not changing it up to keep teams guessing on whats coming next. How come ur not talking about that when talking about dak? I dare you to look for hot routes run by these WRs.

Do you know why Dallas avgd 4.6 yrds per carry without elliot? Maybe you do but dont like Dak but its clearly there to see if you watch the game. Because the opposing team played the pass and dared the team to run. We didnt see them 7-8 man fronts Elliot sees. Do really think Morris and Smith scared anybody?

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

22.1 pts a game isnt that what i said?

I like Dak. Don't make this personal. I've heard him talk about beating the blitz and defense although again its not all on him just the majority.

I don't have a problem thinking the D played Morris different than Zeke.

I've looked at the failure of the team to beat the blitz and a packed box. I've heard Zak blame himself but I have said multiple times the receivers need to be on the same page. He can't throw a hot read unless receivers see it and runs it. We've known they would play us tight packing the box and blitzing. This is where you game plan and get everyone on the same page. Linehan can't make every play call around that. Dak has to manage the offense to beat it as well.

I remember you quoting a number other than 354 or 22 PPG but you can look it up. I don't care enough as that isn't a major point. Being consistent on offense and scoring 25+ PPG is important. You can't go three games and not score a TD. It will likely destroy your season.

Not going to respond further to anyone. Not being petty but I've said enough. You guys can have the final word.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I like Dak. Don't make this personal. I've heard him talk about beating the blitz and defense although again its not all on him just the majority.

I don't have a problem thinking the D played Morris different than Zeke.

I've looked at the failure of the team to beat the blitz and a packed box. I've heard Zak blame himself but I have said multiple times the receivers need to be on the same page. He can't throw a hot read unless receivers see it and runs it. We've known they would play us tight packing the box and blitzing. This is where you game plan and get everyone on the same page. Linehan can't make every play call around that. Dak has to manage the offense to beat it as well.

I remember you quoting a number other than 354 or 22 PPG but you can look it up. I don't care enough as that isn't a major point. Being consistent on offense and scoring 25+ PPG is important. You can't go three games and not score a TD. It will likely destroy your season.

Not going to respond further to anyone. Not being petty but I've said enough. You guys can have the final word.

Only other numbers said were 26.6 pts per game as a rookie. And 28 pts per game in the first 8 games on 2017

By the way did you know the Panthers hired Ken Dorsey as soon as he retired, and he actually intervieed with the bills for their OC job? And its said if Shurmer gets a HC job he is taking Ken with him as his OC.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
Doesn't surprise that 19% of HCs never played in the NFL. Enough college coaches go on to be NFL HCs. College players work their way up the ladder as well. They aren't all Jimmy Johnsons.

But that doesn't rebut RB or WR coaches. Show me the data there. I'd be amazed many didn't play in the NFL. HCs can hire people with the experience he wants. He doesn't have to provide it himself.

Your post has nothing to do with being a QB coach. More attempts to rationalize.

As I said, you don't understand coaching, a qb coach is no harder than being a rb or wr coach. Also neither needs previous playing experience. I guess you never heard of Steve Clarkson who's a well known qb coach who played 1 year in the cfl.

Last edited:

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
The Front Office and or this team never ceases to amaze me. Kellen Moore QB coach...you say it too many times you start chugging your beer faster and faster.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Someone please tell me... does this guy have some secret documents on Jerry? Why does he keep getting back to the team no matter what capacity .. It's like he is part owner or something ..
I mean if you bringing a QB to be QB coach .. go get Sanchez .. at least he had good connection with Dak

:cool:

Asklesko

Reaction score
The worst thing about it is that Stephen Mcgee is out there, all alone, in need of a job. What's Kellen got that Stephen ain't?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Its odd that so many hate this move yet are the same ones saying go get a Sean McVay.
Kellen Moore knows this offense and how to study defenses.
He helped Dak in the film room last year.
I don't know what this move will lead to but I'd argue Kellen is one of the brighter young offensive minds in football.
I'm glad to flip from Wade Wilson who had been here forever to a younger guy with a fire to move up.
Actually the article that was put out there by DMN said that Sanchez and Tony helped Dak and that Kellen wanted nothing to do with it......

I think Jerry is showing the NFL, once again, how smart he is. Not only is he home growing his own players, but coaches too. When a favorite player isn't good enough, you make him a position coach.......Teams will surely catch on.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I'm not saying this is a bad hire I just wonder the implications for transitioning from "just another qb in the qb room" to running the qb room and the authority that requires. If it was a new team that's one thing but these guys have been competing the last few years but now he's running the show?

Seems like there may be an issue when he's trying to teach something and guys that we're throwing the ball next to him the year before can be like "yeah then why didn't you do that?"

Most likely not an issue but I feel like we clean house next year with a bad season so prob won't have an impact in that case

HEY MAN!
Do you remember that 'mad bomber' Wade Wilson back when he Q.B's for Atlanta (pretty,sure that's who he was a hired gunsel for, I'm not for certain if they had that punter HERMAN 'thunderfoot' WEAVER on the roster at the same time)well it was past +40 years ago,O.K.?
so, what the hell is so innovative IN a beat up 'mad bomber' Q.B. with +40 years on it AFTER?( IN THE backside of that) on 'cruise control' engaged,,, do you think that ' guy' was really living, breathing & eating N.F.L. football like this sharp as a tack& handsome as a rutting pert buck?,,, dudebrocious,,, THIS IS A HOMERUN UPGRADE,,,:p

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yeah... Our new QB coach. I guess he suddenly developed an affection for the playbook he's tossing... :rolleyes:

tenor.gif
OUCH!
(I'm rendering that in the uncool casing-liner as its kinda detrimental to this happy,upbeat& hammer down narrative transforming B-4 our eyes,,,man! I had YOU pegged with a higher casing-liner load of tactful preponderances of insight,,,:()

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Its odd that so many hate this move yet are the same ones saying go get a Sean McVay.
Kellen Moore knows this offense and how to study defenses.
He helped Dak in the film room last year.
I don't know what this move will lead to but I'd argue Kellen is one of the brighter young offensive minds in football.
I'm glad to flip from Wade Wilson who had been here forever to a younger guy with a fire to move up.

So the guy Moore helped, lead the entire league in pick 6s.......................and this is a good thing:huh: