News: PJM: For the Cowboys and Dak Prescott, the Metrics No Longer Make a Lick of Sense

Plankton

Reaction score
That is an excellent point................whatever the cap hit is for the QB next year if Dak leaves, you have to add the additional $40 million to that since that is the dead money that would accelerate from all the restructures and void years in Dak's current contract.

So yea, lets say you sign a mid level QB in free agency to be a stop gap QB until you find a guy, that is going to run you around $30 million for anybody decent. Add Dak's $40 to that and you are sitting at $70 million cap charge for QB1 in 2025.

Again, let me be crystal clear, I am not opposed to moving on from Dak, but there needs to be a viable plan in place considering the financial implications as well as the viability of the replacement before such a decision is made.
The thing is, that dead money is there whether Prescott is on the roster or not. That is a sunk cost. Keeping Prescott doesn't eliminate that bill - it's only additional cost to the market topping contract that he would be receiving.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So you don’t have faith in Jerry finding the next Pat Mahomes? :laugh:
or twenty other owners in the league they can't do it haven't done it an trip into guys,, you think San Francisco knows how to pick quarterbacks? the last decade bringing in retreads and giving up three first round picks for trey lance? you can't be more lucky than picking a guy it last in the drafting Purdy and have him work out same with Brady who has New England picked in the last 30 years outside of YUP LUCK! , draft is out of shape nonathletic looking qb in the 6th round in tom brady and have that workout?!! LUCK ,

how about all these teams that drafted in the 1st st round for decades and can't find a quarterback and then what yup go grab a Waston, Wilson , or Rogers for mega draft hauls and overpay them.. hmm maybe if they had Dak they wouldn't have done that. how do i know this because teams are going after guys like i just listed with draft picks and money or we see tham pay Herbert, Lawerence, Murray and many others who aren't better Tahn dak.. also even Allen and LJ are on daks tier ,also very little playoff success GOT PAID

95 QBS drafted since 2016 only one is one is super bowl most not better than dak..and most all GOT PAID !!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ this is a quarterback started league and all teams struggle to find a franchise QB..

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Some of y’all only watch preseason games for the 2 or 3 times they show Dak on the sidelines being a loser.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

But since Dak arrived in Dallas, no other team in NFL history has won 12 (or more) regular season games this many times without making — at a minimum — at least one NFC title game.
In the modern NFL, you can make a legitimate argument that teams would be more successful building a roster comprised of B- players paid C+ money than a team of B+ players paid A+ money, because there won’t be nearly enough A+ money for an entire roster.
At this point, the Cowboys’ best option would be to let him walk.
Paying a very good player like he’s the league’s best player depletes your funds and wrecks your depth. It leaves you with a team that — when healthy — is certainly capable of a 12-win regular season, but once it gets to the playoffs, its holes and weak links are just too easy to exploit.
Especially against a clever, tactical head coach, like a Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco.
ROFL.
Holy reach batman.
PJM media???
What are we even doing here???

Staubacher

Reaction score
None of this matters. The only way you're gonna fix/bypass the marketplace is if you're gonna draft 1st round QBs every 4/5 years until you find another Mahommes. Which until you find that QB youre gonna endure a lot of losing. Otherwise you're gonna pay one of those guys and hope you can break through.
Not true. You build a solid team. Look at the 49ers, Purdy, Garrapolo. Not exactly Mahomes types but the team wins and goes deep in postseason.

blueblood70

Reaction score
ROFL.
Holy reach batman.
PJM media???
What are we even doing here???
You do realize the oversaturation of media that there's 2000 content creators trying to get the Cowboys in their name I mean literally if you can't see this is for clickbait and everyone's got an opinion and they're gonna do whatever they can to make it a hot sports opinion as they used to say HSO to get ratings to get people to get fired up and talk so they can get more advertising money or more viewers whatever moves the needle the Cowboys have always been a hot topic..

Like my dad always said opinions are like ******** we all have one, but that don't make them right..lol

Retro88

Reaction score
So you don’t have faith in Jerry finding the next Pat Mahomes? :laugh:
I don't have faith in this Front Office to draft any QB they like or have in their top 4-6 QBs in a given draft class unless they have the #1 overall pick and there's a slam dunk QB.

If this franchise has options when it comes to QBs they usually get it wrong. They wanted Manziel, Lynch, Cook, & traded for Lance....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
or twenty other owners in the league they can't do it haven't done it an trip into guys,, you think San Francisco knows how to pick quarterbacks? the last decade bringing in retreads and giving up three first round picks for trey lance? you can't be more lucky than picking a guy it last in the drafting Purdy and have him work out same with Brady who has New England picked in the last 30 years outside of YUP LUCK! , draft is out of shape nonathletic looking qb in the 6th round in tom brady and have that workout?!! LUCK ,

how about all these teams that drafted in the 1st st round for decades and can't find a quarterback and then what yup go grab a Waston, Wilson , or Rogers for mega draft hauls and overpay them.. hmm maybe if they had Dak they wouldn't have done that. how do i know this because teams are going after guys like i just listed with draft picks and money or we see tham pay Herbert, Lawerence, Murray and many others who aren't better Tahn dak.. also even Allen and LJ are on daks tier ,also very little playoff success GOT PAID

95 QBS drafted since 2016 only one is one is super bowl most not better than dak..and most all GOT PAID !!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ this is a quarterback started league and all teams struggle to find a franchise QB..
The 49ers kepy Jimmy G on the roste until they had BOTH Lance and Purdy.
They waite duntil they knew they had a replacment before moving on.

Can you imagine how sick their fan base would have been had they moved Jimmy G the same year they drafted Lance and found out how raw he was with no other solution???
They likely would have never drafted Purdy because they would have taken another QB rounds 1-3 in a desperate search for one.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not true. You build a solid team. Look at the 49ers, Purdy, Garrapolo. Not exactly Mahomes types but the team wins and goes deep in postseason.
People keep using the 49ers as an example but they have built a great roster to the point they wasted 3 first rounders on Lance, give big money to a running back and it doesn’t hurt them or hasn’t yet we will see what happens with Aiyuk. I think Purdy is damn good. Helps having that group or guys to play with and Shanahan but I don’t think he’s just a guy I think he has a bright future. He’s gonna get a ring with the 49ers…..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't have faith in this Front Office to draft any QB they like or have in their top 4-6 QBs in a given draft class unless they have the #1 overall pick and there's a slam dunk QB.

If this franchise has options when it comes to QBs they usually get it wrong. They wanted Manziel, Lynch, Cook, & traded for Lance....
Great points.

Retro88

Reaction score
Yes and then when their contract is up....you'll be paying good players great money. My point was on the market. You either have a great QB, recycling qbs until you find a great qb, or you're paying a good player great money.

The market isn't gonna change. Players are never just gonna say " You know what? I'm the 15th best QB so give me the current 15th best qb salary. I don't need more money".

blueblood70

Reaction score
The 49ers kepy Jimmy G on the roste until they had BOTH Lance and Purdy.
They waite duntil they knew they had a replacment before moving on.

Can you imagine how sick their fan base would have been had they moved Jimmy G the same year they drafted Lance and found out how raw he was with no other solution???
They likely would have never drafted Purdy because they would have taken another QB rounds 1-3 in a desperate search for one.
I'm not debating this with you Jimmy garoppolo is not that good a quarterback by the way did you see him when he left you see him playing even in the preseason he's basically Cooper rush you put Cooper rush on a loaded team and he could do enough to get you by we haven't seen Brock Purdy betray Lance was overdrafted that's my point I mean you missed the point flies right over your head they got lucky with Brock Purdy Brock Purdy was dumb luck Trey Lance was so overdrafted the GM should have been fired really fired I'm not even saying that for shock value the man should never have been drafted at all I don't see what they saw but he's one of those guys you pick up like Mike white in the 5th through the 7th rounds or undrafted that's a fact and you're missing the fact that they got lucky Jimmy garoppolo was drafted by the New England Patriots and and then trade it and now he's being moved around he is not good he is very average and that is my point finding a good quarterback is hard and sometimes you gotta get lucky.. Again I'm not debating this with you you missed the point my point is they did not plan it it was dumb luck.. Moving on from Jimmy garoppolo are you serious he wasn't even that good it wasn't like Jared Goff who got a lot of Flack over there because he was on a loaded team ready for a Super Bowl and got traded to the lions at least he's showing right now that he's still very similar to what we thought Jared Goff was Jimmy garoppolo was a figure of your imagination if you think he was a good starter that was a system creating these guys we don't even know Brock Purdy is this good as people are anointing him because of the type of offense he's in with all that talent we don't know...

But my point is they're GM overeats three first round picks they mortgaged their future and he should have been fired until he got lucky with Brock Purdy Jimmy garoppolo was not a starting quarterback he was a backup that their head coach turned into a viable place card.. They had the team to do it we do not.. That's the point and I'm not responding to you further that's it that's what I'm saying I said it I meant what I said and I'm not backtracking you're not finding a Patrick mahomes on purpose you're not finding Tom Brady on purpose hell we got lucky with Prescott and Romo most of these starters are difficult to plan you bring them on your team and most of them are failing I already posted that it's obvious to most that you can't just find a good quarterback you're looking for the great ones and those are unicorns..

You have to find a way to win with Prescott types that's what most of the league are doing they don't have Patrick mahomes and Prescott is in the debate for who's in that top tier after Patrick mahomes people don't appreciate it now but we could be really bad for a lot of years you know like the Cleveland Browns I remember years they had three first round picks and still couldn't find a quarterback and they still have it they literally traded like a ransom to get deshaun Watson under suspension it's still haven't done anything they haven't even wanted division since 1986 and our fan base is so upset at our front office it's ridiculous...

Getting rid of Prescott would be a mistake if you wanna continue trying to win with the players right now on our team if not you gotta blow it up everybody's gone and I mean everyone there is nobody that's untouchable you do like The Jets have been doing for a decade trade all your best players until you find a quarterback ohh wait a minute they couldn't find a quarterback in the draft either they even couldn't even find a several simple quarterback and they again traded for aged veteran...

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Again, let me be crystal clear, I am not opposed to moving on from Dak, but there needs to be a viable plan in place considering the financial implications as well as the viability of the replacement before such a decision is made.
:hammer:this is my take 1000%.......give me a better, cheaper option that guarantees 13 regular season and 2 playoff wins. I'm all over it.....hell I will even consider a player who could get me 10-12 wins.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
:hammer:this is my take 1000%.......give me a better, cheaper option that guarantees 13 regular season and 2 playoff wins. I'm all over it.....hell I will even consider a player who could get me 10-12 wins.
I feel this way to but on the other side of the coin…does their really need to be an alternative solution?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You do realize the oversaturation of media that there's 2000 content creators trying to get the Cowboys in their name I mean literally if you can't see this is for clickbait and everyone's got an opinion and they're gonna do whatever they can to make it a hot sports opinion as they used to say HSO to get ratings to get people to get fired up and talk so they can get more advertising money or more viewers whatever moves the needle the Cowboys have always been a hot topic..

Like my dad always said opinions are like ******** we all have one, but that don't make them right..lol
I am very aware.
Had this been a post by a random user here it would have stuck out less.
But the site owner posting a thread from an esoteric source that is neither a football authority nor a fan site is odd.
Especially so with the number of pinned posts the last few years suggesting the Dak takes are divisive and overbearing and should be culled.

If you click the root website there isn't a single sports story on the front page and no sports link.
This is about as off the wall as a source of data can be.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I feel this way to but on the other side of the coin…does their really need to be an alternative solution?
The lack of plan by the Cowboys suggests they say no there doesn't.
They know the deal being discussed and have made no real attempt to address anything at the position.

It looks very much like they plan to keep the status quo at QB.
The entire preseason has been handed to 1 QB3 that was beaten out soundly a by a former 7th rounder.
The 49ers had a plan to replace Jimmy G and hit on it with Purdy.
Dallas didn't even pay a big name UDFA to come in this year.

Dallas has Dak and Lance signed for the same period. 1 season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The lack of plan by the Cowboys suggests they say no there doesn't.
They know the deal being discussed and have made no real attempt to address anything at the position.

It looks very much like they plan to keep the status quo at QB.
The entire preseason has been handed to 1 QB3 that was beaten out soundly a by a former 7th rounder.
The 49ers had a plan to replace Jimmy G and hit on it with Purdy.
Dallas didn't even pay a big name UDFA to come in this year.

Dallas has Dak and Lance signed for the same period. 1 season.
Exactly. And that’s sort of what I been saying to this point they have had no plan I assume it’s just to sign Dak. So what are they developing Lance for? Trade bait? Why are they not building a team to contend? It just all makes no sense.

So I don’t think they really need a plan for if things don’t go right because they aren’t really going right to begin with even bringing Dak back.

I’m wondering what are the odds Dak, Micah and Lamb all come back? Is there something in their head that makes them think they can do this without Lamb?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I doubt Dak was THE PLAN when Romo was done. A 4th round pick? They just got lucky. Romo wasn't anything like that either by the way.
This is somewhat true ........but in different situations. Moving from Romo's issue was more about his health, not money/contract and yes they did start a long-term plan for his replacement. Remember the 2016 offseason? We were drafting 4th overall......I'm not getting into it but we considered several options to draft his replacement before settling on Dak. They thought Romo could play at least a couple more years.

This situation with Dak is ALL about the contract.......and it appears they HAVE NOT planned well for his replacement at all. NO team will let their ALL-PRO QB walk WITHOUT a plan and/or a better option.

rags747

Reaction score
Save $50m and roll with Lance right now for cheap cheap. So we win 10 games instead of 12. This team needs CHANGE Bigly!