News: PJM: For the Cowboys and Dak Prescott, the Metrics No Longer Make a Lick of Sense

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
:hammer:

So many of us have been saying that exact thing all off season.
Reality said:
At this point, the Cowboys’ best option would be to let him walk.

Paying a very good player like he’s the league’s best player depletes your funds and wrecks your depth.

Unless he wins SB with a huge influence ( single handedly ) Jerry shall let him walk and retool with a new QB

75boyz

Reaction score
BUT, BUT, BUT...

You hafta have an ironclad 100 percent guaranteed replacement plan option right now of just as good or better in order to move on without Dak.

You are not, I repeat NOT, allowed to take a risk at drafting and developing a 1st rd QB.

Under ANY circumstances.

Signed... Jerry.

AND...
HIS Cowboys Zone minions.

And this is ultimately why we'll stay where we're at and continue down the same GroundHog Day path that we're used to.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
BUT, BUT, BUT...

You hafta have an ironclad 100 percent guaranteed replacement plan option right now of just as good or better in order to move on without Dak.

You are not, I repeat NOT, allowed to take a risk at drafting and developing a 1st rd QB.

Under ANY circumstances.

Signed... Jerry.

AND...
HIS Cowboys Zone minions.

And this is ultimately why we'll stay where we're at and continue down the same GroundHog Day path that we're used to.
We have Alex Smith.

Why would we ever draft that project from Texas Tech that has a strong arm and nothing else?

Qcard

Reaction score
So why does Scott Pinkster Metrics matter more than Colin Cowherd :lmao2: :lmao2:

Qcard

Reaction score
Your spin on what Jimmy said is creative, I'll give you that.

He never said that the solution would be to let Dak (or any "good QB") walk.

In fact, he said it's a problem that the entire league is facing BECAUSE you need a good QB to win... which implies that the solution isn't nearly as simple as "let the guy walk!!"

Actual quote is below.

"The other thing is, he's got the quarterback situation with Dak Prescott, and I think the entire league's got a problem here because if you don't have a quality quarterback, you're not going to win right, everybody understands that,” Johnson said. “But the only thing is good quarterbacks are demanding great money and they're not great quarterbacks, they're not great players, but because their contract is up they're going to be the highest paid player at that position. This has kind of escalated here for the last couple of years because every owner is desperate and they understand they've got to have a quarterback, they've got to have a quality quarterback, and the quarterback money is taking too big of a piece of the pie as far as the salary cap.”
Hey the source is the football guru and novelist Scott Pinsker......this is in depth football analysis on a Cap Hell :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

rags747

Reaction score
bahhahahahahaha..... hilarious that you think you can just put in Lance and still win 10 games. This is hilarious. A guy had a DECENT game, and as the late Denny Greene once said... if you want to crown em', then crown em'.
If the Cowboys win 5 games this year does your life change? Does your families life change? Sure win the SB but if they don’t my life will still be fantastic. I just do not understand why people are so risk averse, especially when whether they win or lose has zero impact on you or I personally. Maybe I’m built different!

Qcard

Reaction score
If the Cowboys win 5 games this year does your life change? Does your families life change? Sure win the SB but if they don’t my life will still be fantastic. I just do not understand why people are so risk averse, especially when whether they win or lose has zero impact on you or I personally. Maybe I’m built different!
Have you ever worked for a losing Franchise??

Of course the fan has the option to turn off the TV and the noise.

But have you ever had friends or family that have gone to work to support an NFL day to day activity?

Built different easy when all you got to do is grab the remote control or smart phone...

Do you remember the Dave Campo era?

birdwells1

Reaction score
This is not going to change whether we pay Dak or don't. The holes existed when he was on a rookie contract, they existed before he was even here and they are going to exist after he's gone. The holes are there because the Joneses choose to not participate in an aspect of team building, filling those holes with quality free agents.

We can get to the playoffs with those holes primarily because of the really good players we've gotten in the draft, but the playoff teams we face have filled their holes with quality FAs while we have not, and it comes back to bite us.

So many fans were happy to see Dan Quinn leave after this season, and Quinn definitely deserves some criticism, but Quinn also was forced to play a safety at linebacker because the GM of this team didn't fill that hole when LVE went down. He was forced to cover for a starting CB playing with a separated shoulder. He had to adjust his scheme for not having the type of DTs that wreak havoc on the inside. Quinn wasn't playing with a loaded deck. He had some very nice tools, but also weak links to be exploited.

The front office is the problem, but we get caught up in making this player or that player the scapegoat. Complete teams have won Super Bowls with less than Dak, with less than Romo, but this team has never been complete because the front office won't finish it when it's primed to compete.
This is the best post I’ve read on here in years. I have said this before “dads in prison, moms on drugs but you’re blaming little Billy for making bad grades in school”. That’s what it’s like to blame 2 pro bowl level qbs for this teams failures. Quinn wanted to sign AllPro lber Wagner for the last 2 years but the Joneses were still trying to be right on the LVE draft pick.

csirl

Reaction score
So next year QB1 will get $25M - $40M market value plus added Prescott's $40M Cap hit it 2025.....that is minimum $65M on cap books in 2025 for whoever is QB1

Dak Haters...."real easy" :laugh: :laugh:
Daks 2024 base salary is 29m. Cut him preseason and you can credit it against the cap hit and reduce the 40m hit to just 11m. 11m is easily manageable in todays NFL.

Fans need to think more like GMs. Its all about getting the best value for money from a finite salary cap. Spending 40-60m a year on Dak for another 4 or 5 years is cap suicide.

morat1959

Reaction score
The NFL game is significantly different than it was 35 years ago when Johnson was still coaching. He’s a member of the media. His job is to help maintain viewership. Everything he says is directed at getting people’s attention. Just like Cowherd. Lots of media people have issued opinions on Dak’s contract situation. Some similar to Johnson’s sentiments. That doesn’t make them experts on NFL football any more or less than Johnson is.
Some of us don’t need others observations or opinions. We can see Daks play on the field.

erod

Reaction score
You don't pay a slightly above average QB like he's better than Patrick Mahomes.

You definitely don't pay three players a total of $130-140 million per year.

Which one do you let go? The old QB in decline? The young pup defensive phenom without a filter? Or the star receiver who is easiest to replace in the draft?

The Cowboys are in quite the conundrum.

Qcard

Reaction score
Daks 2024 base salary is 29m. Cut him preseason and you can credit it against the cap hit and reduce the 40m hit to just 11m. 11m is easily manageable in todays NFL.

Fans need to think more like GMs. Its all about getting the best value for money from a finite salary cap. Spending 40-60m a year on Dak for another 4 or 5 years is cap suicide.
Hey...anarchy is great recipe.

But your idea has a fallacy.....any GM would get fired as soon as they secured the Top 3 pick in the draft!!

Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones are not more like GMs.....good try!!

Nav22

Reaction score
What’s the spin here?

Jimmy was asked a Dak related question and answered it without literally and straightforwardly saying it. He put it into a surrounding context of referring to a group of players instead of singling him out.

But the implication is quite clear: he thinks Dak is a good QB not a great one but is asking to be paid like he is a great one.
"Implication"?

Everyone already knows Dak's a good QB who will be paid like he's great because it's his turn to be paid. Same as Jordan Love, Tua and Trevor Lawrence. That's how contracts work in the NFL with a rising salary cap.

Jimmy says that teams know you need a good QB to win, right?

He also says this is a league-wide problem BECAUSE teams know you need a good QB to win, right?

It's not a "problem" if the solution is as simple as "LET THE GOOD QB WALK."

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Exactly,

we either gonna be really bad or we can continue to complain about winning divisions and losing in the playoffs I prefer to have a top six team and at least get into the playoffs with no Prescott I am not confident they're gonna build a team strong enough to be relative at all and everyone keeps saying the Cowboys aren't relative anymore they're damn sure are look at all the primetime games did you hear all those fans and the Rams preseason game there was quite a few with all the talk about how few are showing up to training camp practices during the week when they're probably at work and they have no real interest in practice but yet they show up for the preseason game and then ohh Saturday I bet 50% of those fans paid to get in and watch them Raiders game had Cowboys jerseys on it was loud it sounded like a cowboy home playoff game so all this the Cowboys fans are finally fed up and you could see it by fans reactions... That's false yes some of us are frustrated and some of us say more negative things but it's funny that the teams is worth more every year the seats are always full and sellouts we always have primetime games and we're a top six and win percentage it literally these people talk about our team as if we're one of the bottom 15 teams in a league when we're a top ten team at our worst and we've been top six for awhile...

I realize we want more as a fan base but without Prescott and without the future on the bench and looking at the draft people here who say we're gonna be missing the NFC championship game regardless no we won't even be sniffing third place in the division or getting to the playoffs and then the fans will have a real reason to complain and whine even though they're complaining and whining right now for no really apparent good reason because most teams are not even getting to the playoffs.. This team's been to the playoffs 5 out of the last eight years that is something you can say it's not and I'm saying you but the people who hate it and I hate it that we haven't been to an NFC championship game in quite a while with this team with Prescott is better off in the short term until they have a plan because there's no reason to sign Parsons or lamb or keep diggs Martins or tank if you're just gonna start over at quarterback it's time to rebuild from the beginning..

I just find it hi Ronnie and odd that this fan base somehow thinks that we're gonna be close to what we've been without Prescott just putting anybody in there that's just plain nonsense... Get ready to be a team like the Cleveland Browns who every once in a while build a solid team but that team hasn't even won a division since 1986 I mean literally people complaining around here the chiefs took 52 years to get back to the Super bowl and we're complaining about 28... There's a lot of teams waiting on their first Super Bowl there's a lot of teams that only have one Super Bowl and we're waiting on number six and literally the complaints are acting like we're some six win team that's embarrassing the entire NFL with our play on the field and that is absolutely incorrect...​

Yes, we're falling short and yes a lot of us are frustrated we see it but this is not the longest drought in the NFL ever this is not the worst drought that teams have seen we've seen other teams that comes in circles it will come back to us and we will get 6 not #1 not #2 we will get number six..

And I always have to add this it's necessary around here literally there's only three teams since 1989 that have more than three Super Bowl wins and that would be the Kansas City Chiefs and the New England Patriots both have their little dynasty is going and that would be the Dallas Cowboys who had their dynasty it doesn't matter how long ago it was that just proves how hard that really was...​
That was a special time for the Cowboys and it'll come again lots of teams go through this where they're waiting and like I said there are teams not even winning divisions let alone crying about constantly losing in the playoffs...​
I'm OK with Prescott not coming back as long as you trade the rest of them and you wanna start over that's fine but if you pay lamb and Parsons and you already paid diggs how are they not included in it don't pay guys who aren't winning in the playoffs we're aren't having their best games in the playoffs who haven't made their team better in the playoffs that should be for all coaches and all players so if you wanna get rid of Prescott you gotta be on board with blowing it completely up because they will not have a competitive team without Prescott or any plan at..​
Of course, every word, huh?