Plasticman's Jerry Jones Rant

Dodger12

Reaction score
He's the owner of the team. Do you not believe in property rights?

I have no issue with Jerry and his quest to make money. But Jerry is a snake oil salesman when it comes to football. Some want to defend the mediocrity we've seen over the past 20 plus years and this franchise has never seen such an extended era of futility in it's history. He's been great for the other NFL owners and he's in the HoF for making billionaires out of millionaires (as another poster put it which is accurate).

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
However, that was an empty wish because Jerry stipulated that he would not purchase the Cowboys unless he could pick a new coach. He was the best offer and Bum Bright was never a Cowboy fan, he purchased them as an investment and always treated them that way.

Landry would have brought them back, he always did. They thought he was done after 1974 and in 1975, a "rebuilding" year, they got to the Super Bowl.

The game passed him by? Well, then, why is it that half of what we still see on TV was invented by Tom Landry, such as the 4-3 dwfwnse, pre-snap motion, and passing from the shotgun?

Bottom line, Jerry fired Tom Landry
It was disrespectful, rude, ignorant.....and unforgivable.

Actually the bottom line it was a business transaction and part of the deal was Jerry had to fire Landry. Unfortunately it does not matter if you or anyone else agree with it or how it was handled.

Also since it was now Jerry's team, do you really have an issue with him wanting his own people in place? Obviously that is very common with ownership or upper management changes.

plasticman

Reaction score
Actually the bottom line it was a business transaction and part of the deal was Jerry had to fire Landry. Unfortunately it does not matter if you or anyone else agree with it or how it was handled.

Also since it was now Jerry's team, do you really have an issue with him wanting his own people in place? Obviously that is very common with ownership or upper management changes.
Then if this is business I am not a fan, I am a customer. I am a disatified customer with the right to express my disatisfaction in whatever legal form that I wish.

Jerry Jones does not own the Dallas Cowboys. Those are human beings. He owns the franchise rights to market and sell their accomplishments as a football team.

I don't give a flea's rear end when it comes to the business operations of the franchise that operates the team, zero, zilch, nada.I only care about them as people that form a team that plays football, a team I root for and admire, the players, the coach, etc.

They are relevant in my life because they play football and I chose them long ago as the team I wanted to follow. I didn't choose them because I prefer their fianacial reports over game scores.

They are not winning at the same rate since Jerry Jones took over. Before Jerry the Cowboys won 61% of their games, under Jerry it has been 54%. In the 21st. century it is 52%.

Their last Super Bowl was 22 years ago. Tom Landry was fired 11 years after his last Super Bowl.

There are ao mamy examples of Jerry the Hypocrite. There are ao many examples of Jerry the revisionist. It is just sickening to watxh him claim credit for building the Cowboys when it was all Jommy

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I have no issue with Jerry and his quest to make money. But Jerry is a snake oil salesman when it comes to football. Some want to defend the mediocrity we've seen over the past 20 plus years and this franchise has never seen such an extended era of futility in it's history. He's been great for the other NFL owners and he's in the HoF for making billionaires out of millionaires (as another poster put it which is accurate).

I was talking about an owners right to do with his property as they want.

He's in the HoF because he was voted in by the voting committee. I have not seen any of them speak on the issue and you don't get to speak for them.

And I think you mistake an unwillingness to condemn for a defense. I don't see a whole lot of people saying drafting for backups, hiring Gailey, or trading firsts for WR were good ideas.

Some people like myself are more interested in the here a now into the future. The club drafts well, is in excellent cap shape and wins games. We have been contenders the past several years and given said drafting/cap success we should be contenders for the forsee able future.

If you want to parse blame about things that happened over a decade ago then have at it but understand that others see it as a pointless exercise.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Then if this is business I am not a fan, I am a customer. I am a disatified customer with the right to express my disatisfaction in whatever legal form that I wish.

Jerry Jones does not own the Dallas Cowboys. Those are human beings. He owns the franchise rights to market and sell their accomplishments as a football team.

I don't give a flea's rear end when it comes to the business operations of the franchise that operates the team, zero, zilch, nada.I only care about them as people that form a team that plays football, a team I root for and admire, the players, the coach, etc.

They are relevant in my life because they play football and I chose them long ago as the team I wanted to follow. I didn't choose them because I prefer their fianacial reports over game scores.

They are not winning at the same rate since Jerry Jones took over. Before Jerry the Cowboys won 61% of their games, under Jerry it has been 54%. In the 21st. century it is 52%.

Their last Super Bowl was 22 years ago. Tom Landry was fired 11 years after his last Super Bowl.

There are ao mamy examples of Jerry the Hypocrite. There are ao many examples of Jerry the revisionist. It is just sickening to watxh him claim credit for building the Cowboys when it was all Jommy

At least you stopped pretending you were owed something.

He owns the franchise and can manage it as he sees fit.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If I have to explain that line of stupidity, then it's not worth my time. It speaks for itself.

Nice copout.

Championships are often a standard Jerry haters throw out. It used to be playoff wins in X years but that ship sailed in 14 so the goalposts had to be moved.

He was speaking about the rate of championships which spoke in terms you guys like to use. The math is valid.

Fact is that Landry was derided for many years just like the team is now. Next Year's Champions was the mocking moniker.

I just think it's funny that you guys want to rehash this when games have started again and the team is a clear contender.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jones has been a brilliant businessman and a decent manager of the football team. You can't ignore the drop off in the Cowboys after the mid-90s. You also can't take away the decisions Jones made that led to 3 SBs in the 90s.

Dodger12

Reaction score
I was talking about an owners right to do with his property as they want.

And who argued against that? It's typical of you to move the discussion to a topic that wasn't even being discussed.

He's in the HoF because he was voted in by the voting committee. I have not seen any of them speak on the issue and you don't get to speak for them.

Again, just senseless babble about an issue that's not even being discussed. I speak for me and if you don't like my opinion, tough luck my man.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Nice copout.

Championships are often a standard Jerry haters throw out. It used to be playoff wins in X years but that ship sailed in 14 so the goalposts had to be moved.

He was speaking about the rate of championships which spoke in terms you guys like to use. The math is valid.

Fact is that Landry was derided for many years just like the team is now. Next Year's Champions was the mocking moniker.

I just think it's funny that you guys want to rehash this when games have started again and the team is a clear contender.

In order to be considered next year's champion, you have had to have a shot at the championship. We're just trying to win a playoff game. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Now, I've tried to help you in the past and I'll try to do it again but something tells me it'll fall on deaf ears. You see, the "math" may be valid, but that's not how things work in real life. You can't look at your boss and say you had a great run at the company 20 years ago. You produced numbers that may not ever be matched by any employee for years to come. But you've been on a 20 year slump but that should be excused because of your efforts 20 years ago. That's what you're arguing and it's stupid.

Let me give you another example. Romo gets hurt last year and Dak comes in and lights it up....he just wins. By your standard, Romo should have been handed the job because he's been one of the most prolific QB's in team history. He should have argued to Jerry and the Red Dolt that Dak would have to go another 9 or 10 plus years at this pace to catch up to his total yards. That's right, the math is valid.

But that's not how things work. Unless, of course, you're an NFL owner whose team is part of a monopoly. Jerry's not getting fired. He went into the HoF as an owner because he made people in the NFL a lot of money. You're a Jerry fanboy. I'm not.

Now please don't go into work and tell your boss you can pack it in and not produce results because 20 years ago you were a good employee. It won't work. You can thank me later.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
In order to be considered next year's champion, you have had to have a shot at the championship. We're just trying to win a playoff game. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Now, I've tried to help you in the past and I'll try to do it again but something tells me it'll fall on deaf ears. You see, the "math" may be valid, but that's not how things work in real life. You can't look at your boss and say you had a great run at the company 20 years ago. You produced numbers that may not ever be matched by any employee for years to come. But you've been on a 20 year slump but that should be excused because of your efforts 20 years ago. That's what you're arguing and it's stupid.

Let me give you another example. Romo gets hurt last year and Dak comes in and lights it up....he just wins. By your standard, Romo should have been handed the job because he's been one of the most prolific QB's in team history. He should have argued to Jerry and the Red Dolt that Dak would have to go another 9 or 10 plus years at this pace to catch up to his total yards. That's right, the math is valid.

But that's not how things work. Unless, of course, you're an NFL owner whose team is part of a monopoly. Jerry's not getting fired. He went into the HoF as an owner because he made people in the NFL a lot of money. You're a Jerry fanboy. I'm not.

Now please don't go into work and tell your boss you can pack it in and not produce results because 20 years ago you were a good employee. It won't work. You can thank me later.

Humans are impatient and irrational. The math is valid.

The 1000 lbs gorilla in the room is that Jerry Jones owns the company. I've rubbed your face in it several times yet here you are insisting that his situation is just like yours. That is another common human mistake: assuming everyone else is in the same boat.

I just got done explaining mistakes I felt he had made. I just tried to explain how I feel the team in the current state was doing exemplary.

If someone were to do a performance review as they are typically done they aren't going to go back 30 years and cry about it as you do.

They are going to look at the past year. They will look at team performance and after Dak, Zeke, and 13 wins things look pretty damn good.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And who argued against that? It's typical of you to move the discussion to a topic that wasn't even being discussed.

Again, just senseless babble about an issue that's not even being discussed. I speak for me and if you don't like my opinion, tough luck my man.

You were saying why he was selected to the HoF. I explained who actually did the selecting and pointed how you were talking out of your ***.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Humans are impatient and irrational. The math is valid.

20 years and counting and the fans are still here. Not sure how that qualifies as impatient.

The 1000 lbs gorilla in the room is that Jerry Jones owns the company. I've rubbed your face in it several times yet here you are insisting that his situation is just like yours. That is another common human mistake: assuming everyone else is in the same boat.

Show me where I said that. Matter of fact, I've made a complete distinction about how the situation is not the same and how that doesn't happen in the real world. You're obviously not in tune with how things happen in real life. I'm trying to help you and you keep fighting it.

If someone were to do a performance review as they are typically done they aren't going to go back 30 years and cry about it as you do.

If a performance review was done post Jimmy's team, a GM that wasn't the owner would never had lasted. Certainly, not from 2000 to 2002. An employee of a major company probably wouldn't last through such a period of failure and dysfunction. If you want to critique Jerry for one year, have at it. But don't try that at work or your employment will be short lived. Remember, I'm helping you and you still haven't thanked me.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
20 years and counting and the fans are still here. Not sure how that qualifies as impatient.

Show me where I said that. Matter of fact, I've made a complete distinction about how the situation is not the same and how that doesn't happen in the real world. You're obviously not in tune with how things happen in real life. I'm trying to help you and you keep fighting it.

If a performance review was done post Jimmy's team, a GM that wasn't the owner would never had lasted. Certainly, not from 2000 to 2002. An employee of a major company probably wouldn't last through such a period of failure and dysfunction. If you want to critique Jerry for one year, have at it. But don't try that at work or your employment will be short lived. Remember, I'm helping you and you still haven't thanked me.

You keep on insisting on the narrative being about talking to some boss. You never directly said Jerry wasn't the owner but you are completely obtuse to the ramifications of that fact.

Post Jimmy was 22 years ago. Time to deal with here and now.

Dodger12

Reaction score
You were saying why he was selected to the HoF. I explained who actually did the selecting and pointed how you were talking out of your ***.

Are you disagreeing that he was elected to the HoF because he made the NFL the money making machine it is now? What exactly are you disagreeing with? He's in as a contributor. He's in because he changed the way the NFL does it's business and made billions for the NFL owners.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Are you disagreeing that he was elected to the HoF because he made the NFL the money making machine it is now? What exactly are you disagreeing with? He's in as a contributor. He's in because he changed the way the NFL does it's business and made billions for the NFL owners.

I'm not going to make your mistake. The other owners don't vote him in and I am not going to try to speak for the Kings and Gosselins of the world.

Dodger12

Reaction score
I'm not going to make your mistake. The other owners don't vote him in and I am not going to try to speak for the Kings and Gosselins of the world.

So I'm wrong and that's not the reason Jerry got into the HoF? I mean, talk about obtuse. I mean, do you think he got in as a contributor because he makes the best BBQ in Texas?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So I'm wrong and that's not the reason Jerry got into the HoF? I mean, talk about obtuse. I mean, do you think he got in as a contributor because he makes the best BBQ in Texas?

Look up what epistemology is and get back to me. Your inability to come up with an alternative does not make it so.

Writers are the ones who vote him in. Think Charleen Williams, Gosselin, and King. What little I have heard from them has been about the salary cap which he sponsored, his going rogue on sponsorships, developing NFL TV which he sponsored, and his three championships.

The thing is that there are 60 or so people that vote. If you want to know why and know what the hell you are talking about then you need to talk to them. It's readily apparent that you have not.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Look up what epistemology is and get back to me. Your inability to come up with an alternative does not make it so.

Writers are the ones who vote him in. Think Charleen Williams, Gosselin, and King. What little I have heard from them has been about the salary cap which he sponsored, his going rogue on sponsorships, developing NFL TV which he sponsored, and his three championships.

The thing is that there are 60 or so people that vote. If you want to know why and know what the hell you are talking about then you need to talk to them. It's readily apparent that you have not.

As the saying goes, it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Since you mentioned Gosselin, go read his article about how Jerry earned his entry into the HoF. I won't post that link because it's from a banned media source. But let me give you a hint about what it says. Jerry changed the way the NFL does it's business. You know what you won't find a reference to in the article? The 3 Superbowls.

The fact that we're even discussing and debating why Jerry is in the HoF as a contributor and what he did for the NFL is silly. As if we need to talk to the HoF voters to figure out this mystery. Talk about obtuse.

I've given you some valued advice once again (see first sentence). This is getting to be a habit.