Please do not pay this guy

Slick

Reaction score
So based off 1 series you should not pay him?

No, but based off the last few seasons......yes. The Mahomes comparison isn't even a discussion. Draft someone, and use the cap wisely.

I'm a Cowboys fan, but that last throw in a crowd, was a Romo move over and over. Desperation. Kellen Moore also should have left with Garrett. They kept him for continuity, and that might be a mistake. An elite offense should be fine learning a new playbook.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score

You don't pay him like an elite QB because
1. He isn't an elite talent
2. There are QB's with multiple SB wins that aren't paid like that
3. He does not elevate anyone else's game and cannot be relied on to drive this team down the field to win it
4. He needs other very talented players to be around him to elevate his game - if Tom Brady is at 22 Mil a year don't think that Dak is going to get anywhere by getting paid 40 million. Unless of course the goal here is not to win a title and just get paid to end up at last place

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
14 of those points SEA scored came off HIS turnovers in our own territory

And 21 of seattle's points came from the defense committing penalties on 3rd downs giving Wilson new downs that he used to score those points.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
U know what I mean

Russell went down the field when he needed a score and got a TD.

Dak went down the field and threw a pick.

At that point, what the defense did prior to that drive is irrelevant when you are asking to be paid $40m.

The Cowboys had the ball TWICE in the Hawks red zone and came away with 3 points with the game on the line.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'd at least give Dalton a shot to start a few and take the cap into account. The average NFL QB should do well if they could use the offensive weapons Dallas has now.

Many teams have won SB's with a journeyman QB, but none have won with a mediocre defense.

I would have pulled the franchise tender and bought a better secondary and pass rushers. Everyone talks about Dak's huge stats.......the only one that really counts, is wins. He's above average but not elite. He makes way too many throws behind his receivers. They twist mid run to catch behind. He did throw a few good passes leading them this game, but that's not the norm.

All of his numbers last year were racked up against teams that all had losing records, and considering the NFC opponents for half the season the numbers fell in line.

Dalton should get a shot and his salary would go a long ways to building an elite defense.

Dak is worth maybe $25M.....maybe.

Here's what's hilarious about your idea. First going into the off season Prescott was rated the #1 free agent going into free agency. Second Dalton was fired as the bengals starting QB for a QB that hadn't taken a single snap in the NFL. Being a rookie and with the bengals cap space they could have kept Dalton and see what happens and if Borrows wins they would still have Dalton as THEIR BACKUP. But no they just fired him so the Cowboys saw the chance to pick up a QB as their 1 year insurance policy against a Prescott injury. Some fans seem to think there was some hidden agenda there but everyone within the Cowboys have said repeatedly that Prescott is their QB for now and in the future. Here's the really hilarious part that unlike some fans the coaching staff has never been even hinted that they have ANY questions about Prescott. To continue of this hilarious part is those that say to start Dalton don't know or forget that in his best year of his 9 years with the bengals he had 7 picks that's better than Prescott's worst year of 11 picks. Dalton has had years of 12,13,14,16,17 and 20 picks yet somehow some think that he would have a better chance at winning. Stick to managing your fantasy football team.

zack

Reaction score
Great ($40 Million) QBs make plays when they need to REGARDLESS of what the D has or has not been able to accomplish in the game.

Why don't you see that ? ? ? ?

I can’t even believe I’m having a discussion with someone that believes that having defense that is giving up 35 points a game is ok. It’s quite comical.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
U know what I mean

At that point, what the defense did prior to that drive is irrelevant when you are asking to be paid $40m.

The Cowboys had the ball TWICE in the Hawks red zone and came away with 3 points with the game on the line.

Oh and of course Brady, Brees, Rodgers and whoever else you want to add to the list never failed on getting points on a final drive. That's what so fanny about people that want to blame Prescott for not getting a TD on the last drive. You seem to forget that he was sacked once on that drive and was almost sacked on that last play if it wasn't for him keeping his balance and throwing a hail mary that got picked just like what has happened in countless other games in the NFL. Lets take another look at a couple of things. First a bobble by Pollard on a kickoff that led to a safety, there's 2 points. Then a missed extra point and a lineman missed block that allowed another extra point to be blocked, that's another 2 points. So if none of those happened The Cowboys would have been down by only 3 points and instead of having to try a hail mary they could have kicked a field goal and gone to overtime. If they win the toss they could have gotten the ball and without having drive the field with no timeouts they could do what they had done when they had long drives and gone down and scored a TD and won the game. But your hatred for Prescott don't see things like that.

Slick

Reaction score
Here's what's hilarious about your idea. First going into the off season Prescott was rated the #1 free agent going into free agency. Second Dalton was fired as the bengals starting QB for a QB that hadn't taken a single snap in the NFL. Being a rookie and with the bengals cap space they could have kept Dalton and see what happens and if Borrows wins they would still have Dalton as THEIR BACKUP. But no they just fired him so the Cowboys saw the chance to pick up a QB as their 1 year insurance policy against a Prescott injury. Some fans seem to think there was some hidden agenda there but everyone within the Cowboys have said repeatedly that Prescott is their QB for now and in the future. Here's the really hilarious part that unlike some fans the coaching staff has never been even hinted that they have ANY questions about Prescott. To continue of this hilarious part is those that say to start Dalton don't know or forget that in his best year of his 9 years with the bengals he had 7 picks that's better than Prescott's worst year of 11 picks. Dalton has had years of 12,13,14,16,17 and 20 picks yet somehow some think that he would have a better chance at winning. Stick to managing your fantasy football team.

I have looked and understand who should be the starter.......then why didn't they sign Dak? Plain and simple. They could have signed him in the offseason, but they didn't, they didn't sign him last year did they?

Dalton never had the weapons Dak has now, or the O-Line for that matter.

Dak should have stepped up when Zeke was suspended and didn't do squat. He's not the future. He puts up good numbers and stats......but they need Wins, not QB stats.

I also don't appreciate your condescending reply. I don't play fantasy anything, so your childish response doesn't get anywhere.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I have looked and understand who should be the starter.......then why didn't they sign Dak? Plain and simple. They could have signed him in the offseason, but they didn't, they didn't sign him last year did they?

Dalton never had the weapons Dak has now, or the O-Line for that matter.

Dak should have stepped up when Zeke was suspended and didn't do squat. He's not the future. He puts up good numbers and stats......but they need Wins, not QB stats.

I also don't appreciate your condescending reply. I don't play fantasy anything, so your childish response doesn't get anywhere.

First when they didn't get Prescott signed before the 2019 season he told the Cowboys that he wasn't going to negotiate during the season so he could concentrate of the game. Then in this past off season his agent France would return calls to the Cowboys and it was publicized that on the last day to sign tagged players in the final hour or two that Prescott himself was negotiating with Stephen and Jerry and they agreed on the salary but couldn't agree on the number of years or the guaranteed amount. France was unwilling to negotiate and and just wanted what he proposed and that's it. Prescott wanted to sign but he waited to long to step in himself. There has been some rumors that Prescott is going to fire France.

Prescott hasn't had that O-line since 2016 and since then it's not been anywhere close to that line. As far as Dalton he had A.J. Green which was considered one of the better receivers in the game for his entire career with the bengals. In fact the knock on the bengals never winning a playoff game was they should have because of having A.J. Green.

As far as the fantasy football remark you really don't have anything to complain about because your idea is a fantasy football plan. So you got associated with it but if you have never played fantasy football then I apologize for that part of it.

Slick

Reaction score
First when they didn't get Prescott signed before the 2019 season he told the Cowboys that he wasn't going to negotiate during the season so he could concentrate of the game. Then in this past off season his agent France would return calls to the Cowboys and it was publicized that on the last day to sign tagged players in the final hour or two that Prescott himself was negotiating with Stephen and Jerry and they agreed on the salary but couldn't agree on the number of years or the guaranteed amount. France was unwilling to negotiate and and just wanted what he proposed and that's it. Prescott wanted to sign but he waited to long to step in himself. There has been some rumors that Prescott is going to fire France.

Prescott hasn't had that O-line since 2016 and since then it's not been anywhere close to that line. As far as Dalton he had A.J. Green which was considered one of the better receivers in the game for his entire career with the bengals. In fact the knock on the bengals never winning a playoff game was they should have because of having A.J. Green.

As far as the fantasy football remark you really don't have anything to complain about because your idea is a fantasy football plan. So you got associated with it but if you have never played fantasy football then I apologize for that part of it.

Bottom line, if Jerry wanted him signed, it would have happened. Do "you" think they'll pay him moving forward? At this point, he needs to put up more than stats. He needs to lead this team to wins. Aikman never had stellar numbers......except for the ones that really count. SB wins.

Last edited:

Slick

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's a horrible QB, just not worth anywhere near the money he thinks he is.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
You don't pay him like an elite QB because
1. He isn't an elite talent
2. There are QB's with multiple SB wins that aren't paid like that
3. He does not elevate anyone else's game and cannot be relied on to drive this team down the field to win it
4. He needs other very talented players to be around him to elevate his game - if Tom Brady is at 22 Mil a year don't think that Dak is going to get anywhere by getting paid 40 million. Unless of course the goal here is not to win a title and just get paid to end up at last place
I just dont
U know what I mean

We lost that game yesterday because of an inept special teams group and defensive penalties. Pollard makes a boneheaded play and puts us on the 1 which leads to a safety. (2 points) Legatron misses an extra point and has 1 blocked. (2 points) We stop the 2 point conversion and Trysten Hill gets called for a helmet to helmet penalty (2 points) For those of you scoring at home that's 6 points we cost ourselves. Dak got us into field goal range which should have been enough for a win if we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot so many times. I haven't even mentioned how many 3rd down penalties kept drives alive for them, I can think of 3 of the top of my head.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'm not sure why I got dragged into this but to respond yes I've said that none of us here is in the Cowboys front office but also none of us here can read McCarthy's mind like you seem to think you can. There is NO proof by any DIRECT quote from McCarthy that says or IMPLIES that he did not prior to the season nor now he does not want Prescott as his QB. In fact he has been on the record saying the complete opposite. You are another person that wants to place the entire blame for losses on Prescott like it's just Prescott alone against the other teams, no 10 other guys on offense and no defense, just Prescott. Just this season alone the Cowboys were EXTREMELY lucky to win against the falcons because after the shell shock of the first quarter every time the Cowboys would score the defense let the falcons score. This went on until after the 4th quarter started. Then that 2% chance of getting an on-side kick to win the game is the ultimate in luck. Yesterday the Cowboys lost again because of the defense specifically all the penalties especially on 3rd downs that gave seattle new life and they would score TD's. Prescott puts up almost 500 yards passing yet people like you still want to put all the blame on Prescott. Your rant is nothing more than Prescott hating and that and 2 bucks can get you some coffee at Starbucks.

You just dont get that the game is more than about a QB.....and the yards he makes.

I love your generic rants that have nothing to do with the post you're replying to.

The whole emphasis of my post is that Dak could be the greatest QB of all time, but if we keep losing (because of say: the whole defense or O-Line) and we dont have the available CAP space to improve the holes around him then it may be time to change direction.

If he were the QB that helps us gets wins DESPITE the weaknesses (like say Wilson) then he's my $40m man.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
U know what I mean

Dont you feel sometimes that you could just ignore Dak's weaknesses and just glory in the yards he makes.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Bottom line, if Jerry wanted him signed, it would have happened. Do "you" think they'll pay him moving forward? At this point, he needs to put up than stats. He needs to lead this team to wins. Aikman never had stellar numbers......except for the ones that really count. SB wins.

The Aikman Cowboys had two things that this team doesn't have. A really good defense and special teams that both helped bail out Aikman on several occasions. The huge difference between then and now is then when the Cowboys scored the defense didn't let the other team march down the field and score too. Also that defense got turnovers for Aikman that this defense doesn't do. Lastly there wasn't a cap when that team was built so they could hang onto all their players and that's why the Cowboys had the best depth of any team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Prescott had one of the best O-line in 2016 but since then this O-line hasn't been anywhere close to that 2016 line.

So as soon as Prescott gets into the team the much vaunted O-Line disappears.....do you like conspiracy theories?