Possible QC news

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
jobberone said:
ABQ I don't know anyone has substantiated it. The fact he's in a rehab center or reported to be lends credence to at least the fact he has a substance abuse problem.

As I said the comorbidity of an affective disorder (depression) or being bipolar are both about 30% or more with substance abuse.

And it's not always easy to diagnose someone as bipolar. Without a frank manic episode then it's hard to say someone with depression doesn't have a form of bipolar disease that presents as just unipolar depression. So QC could have been informed it was possible he was bipolar or that there was a high liklihood. If he has a near relative that carries the diagnosis such as a parent then the odds increase. Often patients with substance abuse are routinely put on medications such as Trileptal as a "mood stabilizer" which helps with the depression whatever the cause and will often treat undiagnosed or unrecognized bipolar disease as well. They are often treated with antidepressants as well. Many also get something for generalized anziety with a low dose benzodiazepine even if one of their drugs of choice are benzos.

Without having his chart, talking to his docs and counselors, then his particular situation is private and we are just speculating. I wasn't just concerned with QC as I don't have an agenda for him other than to be relatively supportive as I would anyone with his problem.

Not everyone who has a substance abuse disorder is depressed whether affective or bipolar. It's just extremely common. And if they didn't start out being depressed then the consequences and stress of abusing usually catches up and they get depressed.

I can't answer your very legitimate question and I wasn't offended. Your point is well taken. We don't know unless there is someone here with inside information which I suspect they would keep to themselves out of respect for Quincy.

Nurses form his rehab center have stated what the doctors gave as his diagnosis. They were of course not named so question as you like but QC has not denied being diagnosed as such.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Nurses form his rehab center have stated what the doctors gave as his diagnosis. They were of course not named so question as you like but QC has not denied being diagnosed as such.

Can you post this article? I would be lagitimatly interested in reading it. The only think I have ever seen on this was a source quoted, based on an interview with his agent (I believe) from an ESPN segmant.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Can you post this article? I would be lagitimatly interested in reading it. The only think I have ever seen on this was a source quoted, based on an interview with his agent (I believe) from an ESPN segmant.

It was on espn radio and probably all other national outlets but not in print as far as I know. I do know it was discussed on local radio ad nauseum.

Its out there which is of course why the question was asked to QC in the first place.

No time to search now but if you can't find it by tomorrow I'll dig it up for you.

kartr

Reaction score
Alexander said:
So what do you do for a living, kartr?

I wonder why we were willing to surround a 3rd round choice after a team "begged".

Don't go there, my good man.

Quincy Carter had to be taught how to grip the football and take a snap from center properly from Wade Wilson. And that was not after having years removed from football like Henson had.

You seem to take offense to anyone supporting Henson and making excuses.

Funny but that Excuse Boulevard is not a one way street.

What do I do for a living, I'm a computer analyst, which means, I get paid to think for living, I analyze data, situations,etc., I give out assignments to Jr. analysts, I solve problems for my company, I design and implement legislative mandates at both the state and federal level.

We surrendered a 3rd round pick in 2004, when we could have drafted him with a 6th in 2003 just like Houston did. Houston could have kept him and tried to developed him and eventually traded him for a 1st maybe, but they knew better, so that traded him to a sucker.

Why does Carter need excuses for outplaying playoff quarter backs like Kerry Collins and Jeff Garcia as rookie? How bad could Carter's mechanics be if he outplayed these guys. Wade Wilson was brand new at being a qb coach. An experienced one would have would figured out Carter's grip problem in training camp, just like the Texans figured out in training camp that 1st round qb David Carr needed some adjusting to his throwing motion.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
jterrell said:

Well that makes things a little worse but it's probably several diseases with relatively common symptoms which we lump into one pot caller bipolar disease.

Hopefully he has a relatively milder form of it and is able to function on a proper medical regimen. I hope if this is true (an apparently it is) he doesn't have a long period of denial and listens to his medical team.

Thanks for the info. Always on top of things JT.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jterrell said:
It was on espn radio and probably all other national outlets but not in print as far as I know. I do know it was discussed on local radio ad nauseum.

Its out there which is of course why the question was asked to QC in the first place.

No time to search now but if you can't find it by tomorrow I'll dig it up for you.

No need. I was hoping it might be in print with a credible author reporting. I don't really put much stock in talk radio stuff as it's not always as realiable, IMO, as an article. I think that many times, talk radio just fires for effect.

In the long run, I don't guess it matters. I would like to believe that QC has some such disorder that helps to explain why he made some of the choices he did. In the end, it's irrelivent. We now have Bledsoe, Henson and Romo. We will have to go with them.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Even more truth to the fact that guys who didn't want him as our starting QB can't even wish the guy a decent life. They are so wrapped up in their vitriole for Carter that every Carter post they make is negative on top of negative. Nothing nice if ever said unless it a pat on the back to another Carter basher or complete sarcasm.

Carter has been diagnosed by professionals as having bi-polar issues. The guy has problems period. He spoke openly of hoping he could get back on this team right up until he signed with the Jets. He didn't take any huge verbal shots at the team even tho many other players would have. He is a drug addict and mentally unstavle guy who can not be counted on in the NFL but he isn't a Terrell Owens type scumbag who deserves all of this hate.

He was at best an average starting QB. No crime there. So was Hogeboom and alot of other guys we have started over the years. I dotn want him back but watching supposedly mature folks bash someone with an illness for no real reason is just sad.

If someone makes a Shante Carver thread I am not going to read it. Its that simple. I view the guy as a waste of a pick much less God-given talent. I ahve no need to write line after line ripping him. I may not wish him luck but I certainly wish nothing bad upon him at all. Not sure why those who supposedly care less about Carter can't take this tact. Guess they care more than they are willing to admit huh?
Have I said word one about him? Nope.

I commented on the post about posturing posters and why they do it. I guess that fact totally escaped you. I wonder why?

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
kartr said:
In my opinion, it's the QC haters who stir up the pot. I listen to QC criticism all the time and don't respond, in fact, I viewed this board for 3 years and saw all the negative hate for this one player. The haters never want to hear anything positive about him, but they'll allow you to kick him, laugh at him, his speech problems, anything goes, so long as it's negative. But the minute someone says the least positive thing about him, they start shouting down others about even mentioning his name and they justify it in their own twisted way. There has been other QB's on the roster that I haven't been keen on, but I wouldn't use every opportunity to bash them.

He played the most important position on the field. Was never good at it. He got bashed. Big deal.

blindzebra

Reaction score
kartr said:
But did you forget that Carter actually started and finished games in his rookie year and won games against the likes of Kerry Collins and Jeff Garcia, you know, playoff QB's, while Henson was pulled after 1 half after playing against the likes of Jonathan Quinn and Craig Krenzel. Carter actually won offensive player of the week against the Niners:
QB RATING:
CARTER - 118
GARCIA - 96.7

What did Henson win in 2004? Goat of the week.

Carter's first NFL game coming directly from college:

9 comp, 19 ATT, 47.4 %, 34 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 2 fumbles, 1 lost.

Henson's first NFL game after 3 years away:

6 comp, 6 ATT, 100%, 47 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 1 fumble lost.

After two games:

Carter 10 comp, 24 att, 41.7%, 38 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 1 fumble lost.

Henson 10 comp, 18 att, 55.6%, 78 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 fumble lost.

What was that point again?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
jobberone said:
Well that makes things a little worse but it's probably several diseases with relatively common symptoms which we lump into one pot caller bipolar disease.

Hopefully he has a relatively milder form of it and is able to function on a proper medical regimen. I hope if this is true (an apparently it is) he doesn't have a long period of denial and listens to his medical team.

Thanks for the info. Always on top of things JT.
Jobberone, I am finding your medical related posts highly interesting, as I did all the well expressed info last year on Darren's injury..I was amazed later how right on the analysis/prognosis was .

I wish people would share their expertise freely...I've learned a lot on sports boards.

kartr, you have your plate full here, but just want you to know I was being facetious re Glenn and my bawahaha posts. JMO, but you're taking things a bit too seriously here. It ain't worth it :)

kartr

Reaction score
junk said:
It goes both ways. You just tend to notice the posts from view that is opposite of yours.

For awhile there, you couldn't say Quincy had a bad game unless you prefaced it with "I am sure he is a great guy since he reads to kids and spends so much time at VR, but". If you didn't you would get labeled all kinds of nasty things.

I have never seen a player that is such a lightning rod for controversy. I don't know what it is. I am sure a small portion is race on both sides of the fence. Some is that he is a QB, the most high profile position on the team. Some was that he was drafted too high and counted on to do too much. Maybe some is residual from Hutch/QC. I just don't know.

Personally, I always thought the guy was just average. He outplayed Hutch to win the job in 03, that was painfully obvious in the Pittsburgh preseason game. Payton and Parcells came up with a great game plan that played to his strengths, but once defenses figured it out, he was largely ineffective. He was extremely limited as a QB.

To me, he's just another guy. He'll never be a superstar, but could have a nice career as a #2 and spot starter. Everyone wants to make excuses, but a good player should be a good player no matter the circumstances. Vinny, statistically, had essentially the same year as QC last year, but is generally regarded around here as a bum. Ekuban, Hambrick, Edwards, etc. are all bashed on a regular basis without anyone saying much. You have to walk on eggshells when talking QC though. Never understood that.

Anyway, I hope he gets his life straightened out, but I could care less about his career from this point on unless he gets matched up against Dallas.

You think a guy who threw for over 200 yards in his last 8 games as a Cowboy who had iffy receivers and Tham as a rb is just average, yet he played against the defenses of the Bills,Patriots, Dolphins,Panthers,Eagles, and the Saints pass rush of Darren Howard and Charles Grant are nobodies.
Break it down:
1)Bills 2003 defense ranking = #2 with Winfield and Clements at corner
2)Patriots, a super bowl defense with Willie Mcginest,Seymour,Thompson and Ty Law and Tyrone Poole at corners and Galloway hurt
3)Dolphins - Agunleye and Jason Taylor at DE, with Surtain and Madison at corners
4)Panthers - a superbowl defense with Julius Peppers and all the rest
5)Eagles - a NFC championship caliber defense with Taylor and Vincent at corners
So what you're saying that Carter who was playing against Pro bowl caliber defenses with a group of average receivers and a backup rb(udfa) in just his third year in the Nfl, playing in his 3rd offense in 3 years is just average. What has Joey Harrington,David Carr and Byron Leftwich done yet? Certainly not any better. Brees has gotten his team to the playoffs just once and Vick twice, but with lousy stats and they were both drafted ahead of Carter.

kartr

Reaction score
kartr said:
You think a guy who threw for over 200 yards in his last 8 games as a Cowboy who had iffy receivers and Tham as a rb is just average, yet he played against the defenses of the Bills,Patriots, Dolphins,Panthers,Eagles, and the Saints pass rush of Darren Howard and Charles Grant are nobodies.
Break it down:
2)Patriots, a super bowl defense with Willie Mcginest,Seymour,Thompson and Ty Law and Tyrone Poole at corners and Galloway hurt
3)Dolphins - Agunleye and Jason Taylor at DE, with Surtain and Madison at corners
5)Eagles - a NFC championship caliber defense with Taylor and Vincent at corners
So what you're saying that Carter who was playing against Pro bowl caliber defenses with a group of average receivers and a backup rb(udfa) in just his third year in the Nfl, playing in his 3rd offense in 3 years is just average. What has Joey Harrington,David Carr and Byron Leftwich done yet? Certainly not any better. Brees has gotten his team to the playoffs just once and Vick twice, but with lousy stats and they were both drafted ahead of Carter.

PS. Carter has also tied Aikman's record for 6 consecutive 200 yard passing games in 2002 and he was in his just his 2nd year and he did it against the Eagles,Rams,Giants,Panthers,Cardinals and Titans and that was before Parcells ever got here. He also averaged 209 yards a game in 2002 before Parcells got here too. Some scrub huh.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
kartr said:
Break it down:
Since when was 200 yards passing a big deal? You think some guy who threw more ints than tds and got himself kicked off the team for smoking weed deserves this crusade you go for him?

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
kartr said:
Harrington, carr and leftwich all have thrown for more tds than ints last year. Leftwich is a stud in the making imo and i wish we got him. Take a look at brees' stat sheet last year and than get back to me.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
kartr said:
Break it down:

Yep, I think he is average or below average. I will bring all kinds of stats if you really want to delve into that. Like I said, good players make good plays...not excuses. If he was better than average, don't you think someone might have tried to sign him? CFL is a real possibility for this guy this year.

I haven't said anything about those other guys. I don't think they have done much yet either. Harrington is close to bust status in my book.

Carr, however, by his third year had a completion % over 60%, threw more TDs than INTs and threw for more yards than Quincy ever has, not to mention a QB rating about 12 points higher than QC as a starter.

Leftwich, in his SECOND year, threw more TDs than ints, had a completion % over 60 and a rating about 11 points higher than QC.

Until QC has a year where he starts and throws more TDs than INTS and a completion % over 60, he will be below average in my book.

Great #2, lousy #1.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
kartr said:
PS. Carter has also tied Aikman's record for 6 consecutive 200 yard passing games in 2002 and he was in his just his 2nd year and he did it against the Eagles,Rams,Giants,Panthers,Cardinals and Titans and that was before Parcells ever got here. He also averaged 209 yards a game in 2002 before Parcells got here too. Some scrub huh.

You're just preaching to the choir. :rolleyes: Upset that your boy will be looking for his THIRD NFL team. :p:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jterrell said:

like I said in another thread...I live in Atlanta and used to go to every UGA game and nothing has ever been mentioned of QC having any sort of mental disorder...AJC covers UGA football pretty well, and they've never had anything on it....cant ever recall DMN or FWST having anything on it either

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
We NEVER made an offer to Collins, stop freaking making crap up.

Cite one credible source for this, your Henson workout story, the Texans begging us nonsense, or anything else you post.

he cant BZ because he's a delusional fool...he hasnt posted one iota of truth about much of anything since he's been on here...just stuff that he's made up in screwy little mind

there's not even much sense in arguing with him anymore...he ignores facts when someone posts them in regards to QC and instead offers made up junk about others...he really does have some sick enfatuation with Q-bong

David