Potential HC Replacements

csirl

Reaction score
I'm open to correction on this, but are a higher percentage of college coaches busts as NFL HCs than HCs recruited from other NFL coaching staffs? Jimmy J. is one of the obvious exceptions.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Sean Payton (boy did Jerrah mess up history by letting him go and keeping Garrett)
Lincoln Riley

jerry didn't just let him go....he was part of Parcells staff, and his OC and came from NY after he was fired. he left to take the HC job in NO and parcells was still our HC. parcells was around for one more year before he left. then came wade and garrett….

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Head Coach / Dan Mullen Florida
Defensive Coordinator / Todd Grantham Florida
Offensive Coordinator / John Hevesy Florida

The team needs an entire new identity from the head coach all the way down to the athletic trainers. Mullen has done an impressive job climbing the ranks through the SEC and with less talent around him than the big 4. He's a known QB guru who helped develop Alex Smith into a #1 overall pick, helped Tebow win the Heisman, and coached our very own Dakota Prescott. I like Mullen's play calling style and I think it's a healthy mix of today's NCAA passing game coupled with some pro style offense.

I like the idea of a full organization change much like when Jimmy came from Miami and brought his staff with him. I think it makes a more comfortable transition for the new head coach to have familiar faces all around him rather than a few stragglers from the previous regime. I also like the idea of having good college recruiting coaches involved in the draft process. I remember watching Pete Carroll stack the Seahawks roster with Okung, ET, G. Tate, Chancellor, Sherman, Irvin, Wagner, and R. Wilson. He knew the players, recruited some of them, and used his knowledge to stack his team with young talent.

I'm no Florida fan, just impressed with Mullen and would be open to another name being plugged in here, but I'd hope it would be somebody who could bring their own staff. Riley/Oklahoma, Shaw/Stanford, Swinney/Clemson, or even Urban Meyer/? My hope is that when we look across the sidelines in 2020 that we don't recognize a single coach wearing a headset and I think the only way to do that is to dip back into the college ranks and start anew.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
McCarthy is a realistic suggestion in my opinion. He has the type of temperament that might mesh well with Jerry Jones's mentality for the first two or three seasons at least.

Hopefully Jerry won't be around much longer than that ....... 77 and a raging alcoholic don't mix

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully Jerry won't be around much longer than that ....... 77 and a raging alcoholic don't mix
I have been associated with the healthcare industry for nearly thirty years and known several severe alcoholics with very good mental comprehension live into their 90's. Life. You never know.

khiladi

Reaction score
Head Coach / Dan Mullen Florida
Defensive Coordinator / Todd Grantham Florida
Offensive Coordinator / John Hevesy Florida

The team needs an entire new identity from the head coach all the way down to the athletic trainers. Mullen has done an impressive job climbing the ranks through the SEC and with less talent around him than the big 4. He's a known QB guru who helped develop Alex Smith into a #1 overall pick, helped Tebow win the Heisman, and coached our very own Dakota Prescott. I like Mullen's play calling style and I think it's a healthy mix of today's NCAA passing game coupled with some pro style offense.

I like the idea of a full organization change much like when Jimmy came from Miami and brought his staff with him. I think it makes a more comfortable transition for the new head coach to have familiar faces all around him rather than a few stragglers from the previous regime. I also like the idea of having good college recruiting coaches involved in the draft process. I remember watching Pete Carroll stack the Seahawks roster with Okung, ET, G. Tate, Chancellor, Sherman, Irvin, Wagner, and R. Wilson. He knew the players, recruited some of them, and used his knowledge to stack his team with young talent.

I'm no Florida fan, just impressed with Mullen and would be open to another name being plugged in here, but I'd hope it would be somebody who could bring their own staff. Riley/Oklahoma, Shaw/Stanford, Swinney/Clemson, or even Urban Meyer/? My hope is that when we look across the sidelines in 2020 that we don't recognize a single coach wearing a headset and I think the only way to do that is to dip back into the college ranks and start anew.

Granthan was our DL coach when Wade was here for a couple years, in 08 and 09 and had a really good, aggressive line.

stuckindc

Reaction score
McDaniels from the Pats...He is about ready for another HC gig...It's not like he would be coming to a team with no talent...I back the brinks truck up for him.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
so why would Min.. let him go? if he is that accomplished.
Because he .....because they......because we....just let me think ok. Honestly I think it would be more of a Gruden type situation. We can trade for him. I think he is available for the right price.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Riley, Sweeney, Dan Quinn (bad luck this season, but brilliant defencive mind), Anthony Lynn (if fired by the Chargers), Mike McCarthy, Brian Kelly (Notre Dame, and defencively minded), and Troy Calhoun would be my top picks. But i would be up for anyone.