CFZ Predictable: How the Zack Martin Holdout will end

817Gill

Reaction score
They can't really restructure given what's left on the deal. He needs an extension. Now if what they are calling an extension is "restructure". OK. But a normal contract restructure where they convert base to bonus, etc. can't really be done at this time.
Ahh got it

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Yes on draft picks that were just drafted yet already being judged as if you have some better opinion than a coach or a scout which I will take over you and anybody in this place you got it that's what I'm talking about I'm tired of invalid opinions. Can we just wait and see that's the point if you don't get it then you shouldn't be here posting because you're judging a draft by who you think would have been better over when a coach and scout thought was better..

Actually, there are far more busts in the earlier rounds because their expectations are higher... what was given up and then it they turn out to be average or role players then yeah, I mean Taco Charlton was a gem lmao.. You're right we should give up three first round picks for guys like Trey Lance, I mean can't miss top five baby!!! The risk is less in the value when they turn out to be very good work for all seven rounds and undrafted players whoever comes in has a shot it doesn't matter if they're first round or seventh round we've seen it with Tom Brady we've seen it with other players it can happen... So again can we actually wait a couple years to be judging how this draft went and saying that we should have went elsewhere when you have no proof you have nothing we haven't even played a single live game yet and all of a sudden this tight ends a bust because we could have had a guard that was a lock he wasn't a lock there is no lock!!
No where did I say that the TE was gonna be a bust - my issue is not with the player but with the position.

But yes let’s not question any coach, scout or GM on a fan forum.

As for my opinion being invalid…we’ll that’s your OPINION….see what I did there.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly right. He had fulfilled his 3 year contract and was no longer under contract after they won that first Super Bowl. He did not hold-out. He just didn't have a contract come training camp that next year. If another team had signed him to a contract then, the Cowboys would have had the right to match it and keep him - he was a restricted free agent. He wanted to be paid on the level of the star QBs then, not just be the top paid RB. I believe he missed the first two games, both losses and then the new contract was was signed making him the top pain RB, but not higher than the star QBs at that time.
Actually I believe back then, there was no thing for other teams to make an offer. Dallas had his rights, no other teams could make him an offer. FA in the from we know it now, was not in place then.
Either he was going to sign for Dallas. Unless they traded his rights or released his rights.

Once drafted a team had the rights to that player, for basically life. 10 years after Roger Staubach retired. Dallas relinquished their rights to him. Then at age 48 other teams could offer him a contract. :laugh:

J-man

Reaction score
I just don't get these players. They sign these huge deals, which BTW, they are super happy with at the time, but then as the years go by and other players sign huge deals and the ave salaries go up, they get PO'd because theirs doesn't compare to them. I'm really not very happy that Zac is dong this. I believed him to be a good and honorable man. At the time of his deal, he was the highest payed OG in football. Sorry things have changed but he's still being compensated very well. You're a great great player so by all means keep negotiating for more $ all you want, but in the mean time, honor the deal you signed and play ball.
That being said, Jerry give him and extension and pay the man! LOL!

We all know he's probably got 3 very good years and maybe another 1-3 good years left in the tank before he's done. We have him, at a very good price, for 2 of those years already. I believe he's to get $27.5 mil over the next 2 seasons.
I'd offer him a 3 year extension for $65 mil. with $30 mil guaranteed. That pays him $57.5mil guaranteed over the next 3 years. Very close to the $20mil/yr deals the top OG's are getting. He saves face and we get to keep our All Pro guard for the remainder of his quality years.

2023 $13.5mil - very cheap for a player of his caliber
2024 $14mil - very cheap for a player of his caliber
2025 $23mil - big $ for a player of his age, but probably worth it and not top $ at that point
2026 $17mil - how was he last year? ok? then keep him at a great price, cut him if need be only $7mil dead cap
2027 $20mil - all cuttable if need be, unless he's still good and then it's a good price

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
It's either Jerry pays him more or he doesn't play this year unless he's traded. I dont see it ending any other way.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I suspect something like this as well…the new cba says the fines won’t be rescinded but they will find a way to cover his fines “legally” and he likely gets some sort of pay increase
So, Jerry Jones is not only going to acquiesce to the demands of a player with two years left on his contract, who is holding out of camp, and Jerry plans on heaping enough over and above Martin’s salary demands to cover the fine, which is paid from net earnings, not gross earnings. Jerry Jones must be the most gracious, most generous owner in all of professional sports. i guess my perception of him is very wrong. He never, to me, seemed to be the kind of man so humble he can overlook being shown up by one of his employees. What a nice guy.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
History often repeats itself….

Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he’s not giving in to Zack Martin’s holdout. He even said last week that he “needs extra cash to pay Micah Parsons” and has taken a “hard stance” on this. Don’t believe any of it.

Anyone remember what was happening in August of 2019? Here are some headlines in newspapers 4 years ago…almost exactly:
I expect this pattern to be followed with Zack Martin by early September. In fact, by Sept. 4th, 2023- one week before the season opener- there will likely be a press conference to announce Zack Martin’s contract extension. He will probably be the highest paid G in pro football.

History will repeat itself.
Martin may flip the script and retire before the start of the season. He may feel that JJ has disrespected during his holdout and knowing that Martin isn't a flashy guy who has probably saved a lot of his career earnings may think to himself that he's 32 yrs of age with not a lot to prove, may just tell JJ to take a hike he's done and stay home with the kids.................

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What kind of a deal do you propose? Zack Martin just had his current contract redone (3rd time since he first got it in 2018) in March. His "redoing" of his current contract is maxed out. The Cowboys can't redo it anymore, so what kind of a deal do you propose Jerry do without it affecting the salary cap any further?

There comes a time you simply run out of pieces of pie to cut further more.
I’m not a cap or contract guru. My concern is the impact on this offense and effects on this season.

We weren’t ready for this loss. If we had been ready with a draft pick to replace him like we did with Tyler last year for Tyron then might be willing to let him sit.

So, you’re ok with losing Martin? And with the probability of losing Tyron for some of the season I’d like to hear what you think the effects and impacts might be.

And what could be the impacts if this offense and team flounders this season? Does MM survive. Is Dak safe or does Martin provide the scapegoat to save everyone’s butt?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
History often repeats itself….

Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he’s not giving in to Zack Martin’s holdout. He even said last week that he “needs extra cash to pay Micah Parsons” and has taken a “hard stance” on this. Don’t believe any of it.

Anyone remember what was happening in August of 2019? Here are some headlines in newspapers 4 years ago…almost exactly:
I expect this pattern to be followed with Zack Martin by early September. In fact, by Sept. 4th, 2023- one week before the season opener- there will likely be a press conference to announce Zack Martin’s contract extension. He will probably be the highest paid G in pro football.

History will repeat itself.
Lol lol lol exactly, we all know it!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really feel like this is just Jerry's "smoke and mirrors" stuff. He's planned all along to pay him and will pay his fines. He just wants the Cowboys in the news.
He’s playing to public perception.

Right now it’s swinging for not paying him. Wait till an injury like to Tyron or other OL happens and this offense nose-dives. Then the price goes up. Public perception will sway in order to save the season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well as long as it ends and he's back for the regular season, that's all I care about....

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Our second round pick should have been G.

Shame our front office didn’t anticipate this issue with Martin. They could have had more leverage .
No. You don't create leverage against ZM, because no matter who you draft you are getting markedly worse at the position.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just don't get these players. They sign these huge deals, which BTW, they are super happy with at the time, but then as the years go by and other players sign huge deals and the ave salaries go up, they get PO'd because theirs doesn't compare to them. I'm really not very happy that Zac is dong this. I believed him to be a good and honorable man. At the time of his deal, he was the highest payed OG in football. Sorry things have changed but he's still being compensated very well. You're a great great player so by all means keep negotiating for more $ all you want, but in the mean time, honor the deal you signed and play ball.
That being said, Jerry give him and extension and pay the man! LOL!

We all know he's probably got 3 very good years and maybe another 1-3 good years left in the tank before he's done. We have him, at a very good price, for 2 of those years already. I believe he's to get $27.5 mil over the next 2 seasons.
I'd offer him a 3 year extension for $65 mil. with $30 mil guaranteed. That pays him $57.5mil guaranteed over the next 3 years. Very close to the $20mil/yr deals the top OG's are getting. He saves face and we get to keep our All Pro guard for the remainder of his quality years.

2023 $13.5mil - very cheap for a player of his caliber
2024 $14mil - very cheap for a player of his caliber
2025 $23mil - big $ for a player of his age, but probably worth it and not top $ at that point
2026 $17mil - how was he last year? ok? then keep him at a great price, cut him if need be only $7mil dead cap
2027 $20mil - all cuttable if need be, unless he's still good and then it's a good price
Remember after meeting the guarantee franchises can release the players as well.

It goes both ways. Both the player and franchise can walk away from contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No. You don't create leverage against ZM, because no matter who you draft you are getting markedly worse at the position.
Yes, but you don’t compromise the offense or season as much with a viable starting talent waiting in the wings.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yes, but you don’t compromise the offense or season as much with a viable starting talent waiting in the wings.
Fine but that's not reality. No team in the NFL has viable starters on their bench on the OL.

Torrence, who I assume you wanted, can't passblock and isn't currently a starter.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fine but that's not reality. No team in the NFL has viable starters on their bench on the OL.

Torrence, who I assume you wanted, can't passblock and isn't currently a starter.
They don’t until they anticipate a starter leaving,etc.. then they draft their replacement much like we did with Tyler last year.