Pro Wrestling Updates

Plankton

Reaction score
It doesn't look like it so far. He's paying guys to sit around and do nothing and that shows no signs of slowing down. He clearly doesn't have to worry about turning a profit at this point, and I'm not sure that he ever will. He tried to pay Brian Kendrick the other night before news about his past comments broke, and word is that he's about to pay Keith Lee too. And I have to think he's just the first of several released WWE performers whose 90-day no-compete clauses have just expired.

If I had Jacksonville Dixie's allowance, I'd be signing Karrion Kross and Scarlett as soon as I could. Those two have big-time star power and I think WWE terribly mishandled them before they released them. Their mistake could be AEW's gain (yet again).

And I have to think Roderick Strong will be released soon and Tony Conned will then be able to complete his live action figure Undisputed Era collection too.

But I have to believe at some point his Dad Shad Khan will get tired of funding his son's money-losing vanity project, unless he dies before then. At that point, nothing will likely stop the kid from blowing through his inheritance. And until that day, the carnies will line up for that easy money. Not since Ted Turner and the early days of WCW has the business seen someone willing to spend so recklessly and lose so much money. WCW at one point actually turned a profit.

I don't know that a lot of these signings are getting paid that much. I doubt that Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly are getting big money. These guys are all allowed to work independent shows, so clearly Khan isn't paying for exclusivity. Guys like Punk, Danielson and Cole? Yes, they got paid. The others? I doubt their pay truly registers.

That being said, their roster is way too bloated and needs to have guys fall off of it. Not enough real estate to feature all of them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know that a lot of these signings are getting paid that much. I doubt that Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly are getting big money. These guys are all allowed to work independent shows, so clearly Khan isn't paying for exclusivity. Guys like Punk, Danielson and Cole? Yes, they got paid. The others? I doubt their pay truly registers.

That being said, their roster is way too bloated and needs to have guys fall off of it. Not enough real estate to feature all of them.

No. I’m sure guys like Fish are only making in the range of what they were in NXT. But most of the others are making more than they were in WWE.

RaZon

Reaction score
CM Punk losing in Chicago just isn't right.

Do wish AEW would get rid of about half of their way too big roster. Half are pretty much nobody's.

rags

Reaction score

Do wish AEW would get rid of about half of their way too big roster. Half are pretty much nobody's.

Agreed. However, I have a feeling that it's only going to get bigger. The no-compete clause for the wrestlers that the WWE let go in Nov. has expired.

RaZon

Reaction score
Agreed. However, I have a feeling that it's only going to get bigger. The no-compete clause for the wrestlers that the WWE let go in Nov. has expired.

As ya know they have a good gang at the top with Omega, Jericho, Cody, Jacksons, Page, Moxley, MJF, Punk, but way too many,,,,who are you? They just get in the way, actually...fast forward. time.

One thing I don't get is what is with these little guys like Darby Allyn, Orange Cassidy, Jungle Boy, even Adam Cole. They just don't fit in the rasslin' world.

Hope you are wrong about bringing in even more guys, but you aren;t.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's right up there with what Vince did to Randy Orton last week. Dang PPV was in his hometown, only to last about 3 minutes in the Royal Rumble match? Geez.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
It doesn't look like it so far. He's paying guys to sit around and do nothing and that shows no signs of slowing down. He clearly doesn't have to worry about turning a profit at this point, and I'm not sure that he ever will. He tried to pay Brian Kendrick the other night before news about his past comments broke, and word is that he's about to pay Keith Lee too. And I have to think he's just the first of several released WWE performers whose 90-day no-compete clauses have just expired.

If I had Jacksonville Dixie's allowance, I'd be signing Karrion Kross and Scarlett as soon as I could. Those two have big-time star power and I think WWE terribly mishandled them before they released them. Their mistake could be AEW's gain (yet again).

And I have to think Roderick Strong will be released soon and Tony Conned will then be able to complete his live action figure Undisputed Era collection too.

But I have to believe at some point his Dad Shad Khan will get tired of funding his son's money-losing vanity project, unless he dies before then. At that point, nothing will likely stop the kid from blowing through his inheritance. And until that day, the carnies will line up for that easy money. Not since Ted Turner and the early days of WCW has the business seen someone willing to spend so recklessly and lose so much money. WCW at one point actually turned a profit.

I am unsure how much the salaries add up to and what the rest of the operating expenses are but I am guessing the reported 40+ million a year in TV money helps offset that (plus the international tv deals). Along with tickets sales, PPV purchases and any merch sales. Not sure if they get any TV ad revenue. Or if they have Youtube ads for Dark and whatever the other show is. They may actually be in good shape. Tony did say last year they expected to be profitable in 2021.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am unsure how much the salaries add up to and what the rest of the operating expenses are but I am guessing the reported 40+ million a year in TV money helps offset that (plus the international tv deals). Along with tickets sales, PPV purchases and any merch sales. Not sure if they get any TV ad revenue. Or if they have Youtube ads for Dark and whatever the other show is. They may actually be in good shape. Tony did say last year they expected to be profitable in 2021.

And proceeded to spend even more big money signing anyone and everyone he could. AEW will never be profitable.

The audience numbers spike a bit for a new signing but then go right back to where they were. Or in the case of Rampage, they continue to drop.

Wrestlers are flocking to AEW, just like they did with WCW and TNA until their money ran out too. They will stay in business only as long as Shad Khan continues to fund his son’s vanity project.

rags

Reaction score
Programming note:

Because the USA Network is covering the Winter Olympics from Beijing, tonight's episode of WWE Raw will be shown on the SyFy Channel at 7:00 Central.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Programming note:

Because the USA Network is covering the Winter Olympics from Beijing, tonight's episode of WWE Raw will be shown on the SyFy Channel at 7:00 Central.
Honestly, if my DVR picked up it, I'll have something to FF through tomorrow. If not, I won't feel like I've missed out on anything.

rags

Reaction score
I only made it until the first hour of RAW. Slept through the rest.

rags

Reaction score
Tonight's episode of NXT will be on the SyFy Channel at 7:00 Central.

RaZon

Reaction score
It's right up there with what Vince did to Randy Orton last week. Dang PPV was in his hometown, only to last about 3 minutes in the Royal Rumble match? Geez.

I must confess thanks to AEW giving us an option we (son and I) have finally given up on the WWE, might come back but it's gotten really bad recently. Orton deserves better being the only legit icon left in the WWE.

Where is New Japan?

rags

Reaction score
I must confess thanks to AEW giving us an option we (son and I) have finally given up on the WWE, might come back but it's gotten really bad recently. Orton deserves better being the only legit icon left in the WWE.

Where is New Japan?

Rumors are going around that former WWE wrestler Keith Lee will make his first appearance on AEW tomorrow night.

RaZon

Reaction score
Rumors are going around that former WWE wrestler Keith Lee will make his first appearance on AEW tomorrow night.

Thanks for the heads up, but.........damn they have a lot of rasslers, too many actually.

They need to build around about 20 guys.

rags

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, but.........damn they have a lot of rasslers, too many actually.

They need to build around about 20 guys.

I guess Khan is not familiar with the old saying that less is more.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right there with you. Just before the holidays my son tapped out on WWE. We got excited about the Royal Rumble. But the mens was botched and Shane-O-Mac deserved his "vacation" for it.

Word is Orton has used the "retirement" recently. He got treated like crap with the Rumble being in his own back yard.

RaZon

Reaction score
Right there with you. Just before the holidays my son tapped out on WWE. We got excited about the Royal Rumble. But the mens was botched and Shane-O-Mac deserved his "vacation" for it.

Word is Orton has used the "retirement" recently. He got treated like crap with the Rumble being in his own back yard.

That sucks, ya don't treat an Orton like that (like you alluded to) in St.Louis. Guessing you guys DVR (gotta get by all those commercials) then watch it together like we do.

So Shane is fired? Really?

Imagine Orton retiring then six months later guess where he shows up, that would be cool.