Protest Boycott Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
What exactly are you saying they did wrong?

usflagcode_1506358968521_11233929_ver1.0.PNG

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It much diffetent than splitting the difference.

Stand for the anthem.
Kneel prior to the anthem.
Kneel for the anthem or stay in the lockerroom.

JMO, but I think not taking the field was the worst thing. I get why they thought it was a good idea, but I don't think it was.

and to me, the whole thing is splitting hairs. If Dallas did this prior to Trump's tweets and comments, Cowboyszone would have exploded with rage. It was just obvious that Dallas was going to do something, so people against the movement or what ever you want to call this, took it as a win, just because it could have been worst in their eyes. There's really nothing disrespectful about taking a knee, if you want to say it draws attention away from the anthem, thus it's disrespectful, then you'd have a point, but taking a knee prior to the anthem takes attention away as well.

Last edited:

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I didn't watch last night's game. As I mentioned beforehand, it had more to do with the NFL and its machinations, as a whole, than any political driver. Let us be reminded that the NFL is attempting with all its might to convict in the court of public opinion a young black man of domestic violence when there is not a shred of hard evidence to support the league's effort. The league has gone out of its way to smear this young man, and regardless of whether a suspension is ever served, he will wear this for the rest of his life. That is more repugnant to me than is any political protest.

I will continue to love and watch the Cowboys, and I will continue to think the NFL has lost its way. But I felt for one night, in a way that inconvenienced me, I should vote with my feet. It seemed a small thing to do given my feelings about a wide variety of NFL sins.

All of that said, I'd like to see the NFL players take a truly bold step, if they wish to protest a system they believe is unfair and biased. They are a labor association. Have they ever heard of a wildcat strike or the Blue Flu? When one of their own is being raked over the coals as Elliott has been, why not unify and sit out a Sunday? Blue Sunday. Yeah it would be painful. They would lose salary. But they would get the league's attention. I do not find it particularly bold to take a knee or sit on a bench when virtually all of the mainstream media coverage is supportive.

The NFL needs to clean its own house.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I will most definitely not be protesting the protest in protest of all protests that could be protested within the context of protesting unless of course there is a protest worth protesting that I no longer want to protest

ymmv

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Oh goodie. You're another one.

Using data derived from the NIBRS and from the census, the effect of economic inequality on the overall violent crime rate and on several race-specific offender/victim dyads was investigated. The results showed that controlling for racial segregation, city disadvantage, and a variety of other factors, interracial economic inequality had a strong positive effect on the overall violent crime rate, and more specifically, on the Black-on-Black crime rate. Additionally, racial segregation predicted White-onBlack crime. The results of this analysis buttressed two basic theses derived from the work of Blau and his colleagues and by Messner and Golden (1992). In agreement with the relative deprivation thesis, both the overall violent crime rate and the Black-on-Black crime rate were predicted by the measure of economic inequality (income inequality) generally employed in prior studies. Consistent with the macrostructural theory of intergroup relations, racial segregation was shown to be associated inversely with one of two forms of interracial crime, White-on-Black crime. This finding supported P.M. Blau's (1977) thesis that intergroup contact of any kind decreased as segregation (as a form of inequality) increased. The results of this analysis showed clearly that the effects of economic inequality on rates of violent crime were consistent with the work of Blau and his associates. The failure of prior research to unearth evidence that established a relationship between Black crime rates and economic inequality was most likely due to the methodological limitations outlined earlier,namely, the use of homicides as a measure of crime. The use of the four dyads had provided a richer framework for exploring the effects of economic inequality and the way in which these effects differed by dyad grouping. The vast majority of studies conducted to date restricted their attention to models that allowed for an economic inequality-crime effect, but that precluded the prospect of race-specific inequality influencing race-specific offender/victim crime dyads. Further, if one was to accept the relative deprivation thesis, the current study also provided insight as to how economic inequality might inspire Black crime. As proposed originally by J.R. Blau and Blau (1982), interracial economic inequality appeared to be more salient for understanding variation in Black crime than intraracial predictors. As J.R. Blau and Blau (1982, p. 119) argued, “great economic inequalities generally foster conflict and violence, but ascriptive inequalities do so particularly.” While the logic that Blacks make social comparisons to other Blacks may be intuitive and appealing, the current study had furnished further support for recognizing the importance of race as an ascriptive status in shaping the lives of Black citizens (Massey & Denton, 1994). These findings had contributed to a clarification of the relative deprivation thesis— the process appeared to be triggered by race-based differences in wealth and economic resources. While intraracial inequality might cause envy, it appeared that the perception that inequality and access to wealth and economic resources was connected to race engendered a much more poisonous set of reactions (hostility, frustration, and anger) that was associated with violent crime. On the other hand, if one were to accept a structuralbased explanation of economic inequality, the findings reported in this study suggested that interracial inequality measures might provide the best means for capturing the relative disadvantages that Blacks face in the workplace. Greater differences in White-Black inequality were associated with increases in Black violent crime, all things being equal. Hence, whether one was to accept relative deprivation or the structural thesis, race permeates the economic inequality-violent crime relationship, as an individual ascriptive characteristic, an important marker of social structure, and as a collective identity. The cur

https://www.hoplofobia.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2006-Race-and-Crime.pdf

This was just continuing the work of Blau and Blau and Messner and Golden. This has been well understood for 40 years.

Have any more neo-confederate or fascist takes for us?

JeffInDC

Reaction score
The reason for low incomes is because people like you and Keapernick brain wash people into believing it's everybody else's fault and that their lives are hopeless.

You think some smirk about "I know where this is going" somehow means it not true.

You obvisiously think anybody that does not agree with you must be racist. The "I know where this is going" quote is the same as calling someone racist.

The racist clichés are tired, especially in a post black President America.

Wasn't going to say anything until I read this crap. This quote right here - "is because people like you and Keapernick brain wash people into believing it's everybody else's fault and that their lives are hopeless" - is EXACTLY the BS Trump is spitting to his followers right now........that white people can't get jobs because of the brown people that have taken them. This is the same BS that helped white, southern rich men convince poor white men to fight their war of State's Rights (yeah, the states right to OWN SLAVES) when, had the south won the war, those poor white men where going to still be poor, white men. Why? Why pay you ANYTHING if I have people working for free.

So, the next time you want to blame Kap and others like him for brainwashing people, you might want to look in the mirror. Pull up Dale Hansen's latest masterpiece about why the protests actually started in the first place. Also, check out Nick Wright's discussion on First Things First as to WHO it was that told Kap to kneel in the first place.

If you think racism is over just because we had a black president, you are woefully incorrect. Ask Charlottesville.

Brooksey

Reaction score
The Cowboys handled it as well as they could, IMO. I particularly don't care for politics in sports so I don't watch or listen to Sporting News. I read both sides and make my own decision but this is the problem with monopolies in business. If the NFL had competition they would have shut this down immediately. Instead the league upsets more than 50% of their customers and there's nothing the customers can really do about it. They can boycott but then they have no professional football to watch, so this isn't practical. The NFL is taking advantage of their unique market situation.

As a Business owner I can't piss off half of my customers and stay in business, they will just call my competition and I'm out of business. The consumer is the big loser here. Forcing all the fans to buy what only some believe to be right is a business practice that would be shut down by government or put out of business with private competition. All the fans who approve of kneeling for the anthem (and I understand why) are missing the fact that over half don't agree and that's the big problem. Calling out the fans who don't agree with names and insults is pointless, it's their choice. We are all Cowboys fans and should respect each others positions.

With that said I think they have used the platform to raise enough awareness at this point.

Let's just play some damn football.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Practically no one knows flag code. My beef about the whole anthem-kneel thing came from the first video I saw of someone complaining -- while wearing a flag T-shirt. Completely against flag code. Liked the bit about horizontal flag display posted above. I'd missed that one. Most representations of the flag in modern culture are disrespectful according to the Flag Code. Especially ironic when displayed by folks professing fervent patriotism.

Of course, that code was passed into law in the early days of WWII, as a jingoistic boost for an American populace shocked into war.

River82

Reaction score
You can beg the question all you like but how about you tell us your explanation on why wages are lower for ghettos than they are for immigrants.

When countries make choices for immigration they tend to take in highly qualified or the best individuals so as to benefit the country at large. It's why if you have a criminal record it's next to impossible to migrate to America. Education levels tend to be high and etc. Compare this to the ghetto where education levels tend to be lower and you have your main reason for why immigrants have higher wages compared with ghettos.

This is of course not talking about illegal immigration where people will jump the border and do demeaning jobs for below legal pay.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
When countries make choices for immigration they tend to take in highly qualified or the best individuals so as to benefit the country at large. It's why if you have a criminal record it's next to impossible to migrate to America. Education levels tend to be high and etc. Compare this to the ghetto where education levels tend to be lower and you have your main reason for why immigrants have higher wages compared with ghettos.

This is of course not talking about illegal immigration where people will jump the border and do demeaning jobs for below legal pay.

I agree but X's narrative is that people in ghettos are hopeless. It goes with his take that slaves were better enslaved. It's literally the same reasoning used by slavers in the 19th century to justify their actions: Africans were hopeless and required people such as themselves to civilize them. White man's burden and so forth.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn't going to say anything until I read this crap. This quote right here - "is because people like you and Keapernick brain wash people into believing it's everybody else's fault and that their lives are hopeless" - is EXACTLY the BS Trump is spitting to his followers right now........that white people can't get jobs because of the brown people that have taken them. This is the same BS that helped white, southern rich men convince poor white men to fight their war of State's Rights (yeah, the states right to OWN SLAVES) when, had the south won the war, those poor white men where going to still be poor, white men. Why? Why pay you ANYTHING if I have people working for free.

So, the next time you want to blame Kap and others like him for brainwashing people, you might want to look in the mirror. Pull up Dale Hansen's latest masterpiece about why the protests actually started in the first place. Also, check out Nick Wright's discussion on First Things First as to WHO it was that told Kap to kneel in the first place.

If you think racism is over just because we had a black president, you are woefully incorrect. Ask Charlottesville.
You didn't really provide any information.

Black people kill black people an extremely high rate. The rate is about 700% the rate that non-blacks kill anybody.

About 8000 black-black murders per year compared to less than 30 unjustfied killings by police.

Blacks are 13% of the population but commit over 50% of murders. That's a staggering ststistic.

Why are there no protests about blacks killing blacks? Black men are about 700% more likely to be killed by another black man than White men are to be killed by anyone. The unjustified police killings are 1/10 of 1% of the total of blacks killed.

Does anybody care about the black kid growing up in the hood? That kid has a high probability of being killed by another resident of the hood but he is more likely to get hit by lightening than to be unjustly killed by police.

Kaepernick cares more about getting attention than he cares about that kid. Other "leaders" get rich and famous pointing the finger at police. Meanwhile nobody is helping lower that kid's chance of being murdered. In fact there protests correlate with a huge spike in black-black murders.

You can beat your chest all you want and focus on opportunists like Hansen who care about getting attention, but from a practical aspect you're likely increasing that kid's chance of being murdered if you support the protests.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JMO, but I think not taking the field was the worst thing. I get why they thought it was a good idea, but I don't think it was.

and to me, the whole thing is splitting hairs. If Dallas did this prior to Trump's tweets and comments, Cowboyszone would have exploded with rage. It was just obvious that Dallas was going to do something, so people against the movement or what ever you want to call this, took it as a win, just because it could have been worst in their eyes. There's really nothing disrespectful about taking a knee, if you want to say it draws attention away from the anthem, thus it's disrespectful, then you'd have a point, but taking a knee prior to the anthem takes attention away as well.

Talk to a Mom that lost a son in war and then tell me it's not disrepectful.

The protests are also disrespectful to the millions of police that have never killed anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.