QB Options without Dak in 2025

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Exactly BF, why should Lance shining during PS games be anything other than a major positive.
That is right, Dak needs some competition, he has not had any except Rush. If Dak were to go down with a broken wheel or decides this is his last year, or says, to hell with it all, trade me. lol.

A lot of young players get hungry too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He also has youth on his side and can run when it's needed.

Yes, but I don't necessarily want him being the type of QB where he just tucks and runs the first sign of trouble. I need to know if he can buy time, keep his eyes downfield, and deliver a ball. He should be able to run, but that shouldn't be his first option.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, but I don't necessarily want him being the type of QB where he just tucks and runs the first sign of trouble. I need to know if he can buy time, keep his eyes downfield, and deliver a ball. He should be able to run, but that shouldn't be his first option.
Well, it was reported by Coach MM that Lance has already picked up the playbook during the Ota's and is looking sharp throwing the ball, which will be his job.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Dallas can’t afford a vet if Dak walks. They’ll be paying $40 in dead cap to the QB position. None of those vets are taking less than $30 million and will likely be closer to $40/45 million (just speculating). Might as well give Dak his $60 million than pay $80 million to the QB position for a guy like Stafford (Stafford makes $40 plus $40 is dead cap).

Chasing6

Reaction score
That depends on performance, actual skills under pressure. If he's the real deal, either give him a package or if needed tag him for 2025?
Tag him he said. :facepalm:

$38M after we just declined his 5th year option for far less???

Sounds like a GM Jethro type move. Playing marbles when other GM's are playing Chess.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Translation : Everyone sucks but Dakky Poo !!

lolz .. OK!!:facepalm:
OMG. you are so obsessed. what is it with you Daksessed people. this was a comment about the 6 QBs. where did I say Dak was good. you all complain that Dak is not elite. then advocate to replace him with another non-elite QB. WTH? and I did say Stafford and Rodgers....

Daksessed people reaction to Sky is blue:
Blue! Dallas wears Blue, D, Dak
Daksessed people's reaction to stars at night
Stars! Dallas has star, D, Dak

Daksessed people reaction to I want water
Water!, ocean, ocean is blue, Dallas wears blue, D, Dak

I mean come on folks. nobody is allowed to make any comment about any other QB ever without it somehow being tied back to Dak by you Daksessed people.

take a breather for Gawd's sake

Chasing6

Reaction score
I also would like to see what Lance can do. He’s young, raw and got a lot of physical tools. I would hate to sign any aging QB to a 30-40 million APY when we have no idea what we have with a young guy. What I’m hoping for is Lance wins the TC battle over Rush, we cut Rush, sign Lance to an extension paying 5-7 million APY for 2 to 3 years to be the backup or bridge.

Basically what I’m saying is if we don’t extend Dak I want our “bridge QB” for 25 and 26 to be Lance because he’s young, has starter experience and would not command a high salary. Then if he pans out keep him, if not use the high draft picks to look for a QB.

The one thing I definitely don’t want to do is sign a QB on the downside of his career for 40 APY or so and then go 7-10 and be mediocre enough to not get a high draft pick. So no Carr, Stafford, Wilson, or a QB like that. I would rather go Lance, Fields, Mac Jones or a QB like that and see if we can strike gold on the cheap and develop him or use that QB and their 5 million APY to build a strong roster for a blue chip QB with a top five pick.
What starter experience are you referring to?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Whether we. as fans, like it or not, the powers that be are intent upon giving Trey Lance the opportunity to become our potential QB, whether it's as a backup or a starter. Obviously, many, if not most, of us would like to have a QB who's capable of being a long-term solution for this team, rather than one who's, perhaps not just that. In any event, our limited FO has seemingly decided to go through with the intention of giving Lance the opportunity that he's, somewhat desperately, trying to attain.

Let's not make him our enemy but rather, give a guy a chance to succeed, minus the prospect of attempting it, despite the negativity that prevails with some on this website. There's nothing wrong with assuming a positive attitude concerning this venture, folks! Fair is fair, after all is said and done.

If he fails, he fails but if he doesn't, maybe, just maybe, we can finally have a QB with a possibility of being a long-time solution to our woes. Is that too much to ask for an organization in our tenuous position? Let's try to make this thing work, if it's somehow possible. Lance isn't our enemy, by a long shot -- let's not make his job any more difficult that it already is. A little bit of positivity would help. Let's relax and help it along, if we can. ;)
Really, because that is what Dak gets right. A QB is a QB. Why would Trance be treated any different than Dak.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm not sure you understand. if Trey looks better than Dak he'll be on the field. Dak will seek a trade before the deadline. This season will be a difficult start, we've drafted good OL, but they will struggle as all rookies do, especially in pass protection with this antiquated system. A mobile QB will be a must, as you saw in the fishing boat cast episode, Dak will never be able to scramble and make cuts on that ankle. If Dak does start, his value will disappear.
His best bet is to seek a multi year deal elsewhere with a good guaranteed money. IF Jerry was going to move forward with Dak, a deal would be done.

Early reports, lol, I'll trust my own reports.
Trance is not going to look better than anything other than maybe some of our Coaches throwing passes during practice.

Let's keep living the Dak trade dream. If a Trance beats out Dak like he did Jimmy G(no he did not), Dak will seek a trade because he will not want to sit on the bench.

D E L U S I O N A L!!!! Seek Help.

Flamma

Reaction score
My take. Not that it means anything but I honestly believe that if Lance played qb all season we would most likely have one of the worse records in the nfl and then we could draft a qb in the first round. Again, that's just my opinion.
That was my plan. Play Lance in 2025. We go 2-15 and get a top pick in 2026.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You don't understand........
  • He's not playing this season unless Dak has a season-ending injury or our season goes south and once we are out of playoff contention
  • Tag him 2025????? That's $38M for a QB who has not played any regular season games for this team.
  • Early reports suggest it's unlikely he can beat out Rush head-to-head as Dak's backup but will likely get the job by default.
Tag and pay a QB $38M for a QB with less than 400 completions in his entire life.

Real Men of Stupidity.

That is $100,000 per completion with 350 of them coming in HS and College.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Right they went all in and I don't even understand that concept that fans don't understand here that he couldn't win in Detroit without a lot of help and our team right now doesn't have a strong run game or a strong defense to be carrying a quarterback.. If we're truly Super Bowl ready then we should have no problem this year at least getting to an NFC championship game if our team strong enough to try to carry that list but I am not trading draft picks for any of those guys I mean if you're gonna seek resources into your team you might as well do it & Prescott...

The list is an example of a way too soon recommendations we don't know who on that list is available unless they're cut out right I'm not bringing in guys that cost us draft picks we can roll with Trey Lance and go to the draft and go pick up a mid guy I mean I don't think Cooper rushes that guy but someone slightly better maybe Derek Carr even though in another reply I said I'm not interested if he's a full free agent I might bring him in here like we did Dalton and just have him be a bridge guy... But that list is just laughable I I don't even know how to react to it most of them are not even available if they are available they're gonna cost us not only draft picks but a higher salary....
You mean a strong defense like KC, which we are to believe that Mahomes carries the team?