QB Options without Dak in 2025

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance started games for the 49ers
Lance started games for the 49ers
He has 4 starts in 2 years with the Niners. 1 game was a mud bowl game with high winds. 1 game he did not complete the first quarter due to injury.

I guess you can call 4 starts experience going on his 4th year, if you would like.

He has started 5 games since his 1 strong season in 2019 at NDSU.

So basically 1 game a year.

plymkr

Reaction score
He has 4 starts in 2 years with the Niners. 1 game was a mud bowl game with high winds. 1 game he did not complete the first quarter due to injury.

I guess you can call 4 starts experience going on his 4th year, if you would like.

He has started 5 games since his 1 strong season in 2019 at NDSU.

So basically 1 game a year.
He started a football game in the NFL. That makes him an NFL QB with starter experience.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Cousins may not be as expensive as you think or require as much in a trade....
  • Keep in mind the Falcons drafted Michael Penix with their 1st round pick, which BTW ticked off Cousins
  • Take a peek at his contract.......it's basically a 2-year deal
  • His 2025 salary is guaranteed for $27M
  • It's not a reach to think they may wanna dump him and his 2025 salary for a pack of peanuts, with a 1st rounder sitting on deck
  • No, he isn't as good as Dak BUT for $27M vs $55M it's worth consideration. Also, it doesn't hurt he played for Zimm

https://overthecap.com/player/kirk-cousins/1443
How did Zimm feel about him as his quarterback?

Chasing6

Reaction score
He started a football game in the NFL. That makes him an NFL QB with starter experience.
If you say so.

Most rookie QB's drafted this year have more experience than Trance and they have not even taken an NFL snap yet.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If you say so.

Most rookie QB's drafted this year have more experience than Trance and they have not even taken an NFL snap yet.

Michael Pratt was the last QB drafted this year in the 7th round by GB.

He played 46 games in College, over 700 competitions, and almost 10,000 yards, 90 TD's to 26 Int's and ran for over 1,100 yards.

In HS he had 166 completions,
2,500 yards, 28 TD's and 16 Int's to go along with 650 rushing yards.

Trance has some catching up to do and Michael Pratt is 2 years younger by the way.

plymkr

Reaction score
If you say so.

Why do you hate him so much? I’m just curious at this point. It seems to me Lance’s biggest sin is he plays the same position as Dak Prescott. It is possible to support Dak and Lance at the same time. It’s possible to hope for the best for a young player on the team and support a veteran. Rooting for Lance to be a good player is not disrespecting Dak. It boggles my mind that a Cowboys player is hated just to show allegiance to another Cowboys player. I don’t know if Lance is going to be a good player or not but if he’s wearing the star then I’m rooting for him and I’m not going to devalue him just because he plays QB.

But anyway yes, Lance was QB1 for an NFL team throughout a whole offseason and started the season as QB1. Then he got injured. This thread is about possible replacements for Dak if he is not extended. Lance would be a cheap player that has started an NFL game and that makes him an option as a potential replacement.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why do you hate him so much? I’m just curious at this point. It seems to me Lance’s biggest sin is he plays the same position as Dak Prescott. It is possible to support Dak and Lance at the same time. It’s possible to hope for the best for a young player on the team and support a veteran. Rooting for Lance to be a good player is not disrespecting Dak. It boggles my mind that a Cowboys player is hated just to show allegiance to another Cowboys player. I don’t know if Lance is going to be a good player or not but if he’s wearing the star then I’m rooting for him and I’m not going to devalue him just because he plays QB.

But anyway yes, Lance was QB1 for an NFL team throughout a whole offseason and started the season as QB1. Then he got injured. This thread is about possible replacements for Dak if he is not extended. Lance would be a cheap player that has started an NFL game and that makes him an option as a potential replacement.
It has nothing to do with Dak. You can continue to believe whatever you would like.

The Niners made a horrendous mistake, recognized it and moved on. Now we gave up a 4th and $5.3M,(while our team is in cap hell mind you), just to double check the Niners math?

In addition, we gave this extra pick and extra money to the best team in NFC, the team that we are actually trying to catch up to. It is unbelievably stupid.

The fact that all 3 of our QB's contracts expire at the same time is an entirely another story in itself.

Anyone who evaluates Trance knows he desperately needs playing experience. He will not get any experience playing in Dallas regarding this trade.

Trance will need to be resigned and will need to actually play to be properly evaluated. We learned absolutely nothing from his time with us last year. We will learn maybe this year if he is even worthy of a back up QB spot?

What back up QB is being paid $5.3M that has zero experience? Please look at the QB's drafted this year. All of them have more experience and are younger than Trance.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with Dak. You can continue to believe whatever you would like.

Please look at the QB's drafted this year. All of them have more experience and are younger than Trance.
Your vote was already cast in this discussion. I dont think ive read you ever contemplating moving on from Dak. In your world Jerry would just capitulate.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I also would like to see what Lance can do. He’s young, raw and got a lot of physical tools. I would hate to sign any aging QB to a 30-40 million APY when we have no idea what we have with a young guy. What I’m hoping for is Lance wins the TC battle over Rush, we cut Rush, sign Lance to an extension paying 5-7 million APY for 2 to 3 years to be the backup or bridge.

Basically what I’m saying is if we don’t extend Dak I want our “bridge QB” for 25 and 26 to be Lance because he’s young, has starter experience and would not command a high salary. Then if he pans out keep him, if not use the high draft picks to look for a QB.

The one thing I definitely don’t want to do is sign a QB on the downside of his career for 40 APY or so and then go 7-10 and be mediocre enough to not get a high draft pick. So no Carr, Stafford, Wilson, or a QB like that. I would rather go Lance, Fields, Mac Jones or a QB like that and see if we can strike gold on the cheap and develop him or use that QB and their 5 million APY to build a strong roster for a blue chip QB with a top five pick.
If he plays well and we signed him already he's going to want more money

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Really, because that is what Dak gets right. A QB is a QB. Why would Trance be treated any different than Dak.
He will be treated with respect, as long as his performance warrants it. Dak is treated with respect by many here because he's our starter. That really doesn't mean every member here follows that idea, though. Dak's performance is good in the regular season but not so good in the playoffs, which is something that confounds many here. Many of our fans show due respect for Dak these days, but many others don't. That's how it goes.

It's gotten to a point where half of our members refer to him with respect and the other half doesn't. The difference between being treated with respect isn't necessarily held by everyone at this website -- I'm certain that you've noticed that lately. The difference becomes clearly obvious by the fact that you refer to Lance as "Trance." You're, obviously, not impressed with him. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
He will be treated with respect, as long as his performance warrants it. Dak is treated with respect by many here because he's our starter. That doesn't mean every member here has followed that idea, though.

It's gotten to a point where half of our members refer to him with respect and the other half doesn't. The difference between being treated with respect isn't necessarily held by everyone at this website -- I'm certain that you've noticed that lately. The difference becomes clearly obvious by the fact that you refer to Lance as "Trance." Different strokes for different folks.
Trance has not earned any respect.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Your vote was already cast in this discussion. I dont think ive read you ever contemplating moving on from Dak. In your world Jerry would just capitulate.
No moving on from Dak with Trance. No, it never crossed my mind.

Moving on from Dak with no one in place.

Well that is GM Jethro for you. Tremendous planning.

Moving in from on Pollard with no legit RB.

See a pattern yet???

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Trance has not earned any respect.
And that verifies what I'm saying, here. Your opinion of him is less than respectful, for one whom he has disappointed. It happens, doesn't it. We are all seeing how Jerry has changed his treatment of Dak lately. It's a reaction to disappointment that openly displays dissatisfaction.

Last edited: