QB Stats Through Two Years

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
He inherited the greatest offense in NFL history for a rookie starter.

His play has steeply declined since.

We'll know everything in 6 months.

I suspect, he's average. He's Alex Smith at best, Tyrod Taylor at worst. He's OK.

But we'll see. I'm rooting like crazy for him because the rest of the team is looking very young and promising.
What about Dan Marino’s rookie year?

By “since” do you mean like 5 games?

His “sharp decline” included and he still ranks this high on the two year list and I’m assuming he was no longer part of the greatest offense ever.? So there’s those factors.

You’re right. We’ll see in 6 months.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
QBs acting like running backs is of no value in the NFL. Good quarterbacks rarely need to bother doing that. That's his point.
Doesn’t John Elway lead all qb’s in rushing attempts?

He was an ok passer.

flosho

Reaction score
If only Dak had sat behind Romo for 2 or 3 years... Instead he has to learn on the fly.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The Dak supporters are the people hurting his image the most. By only using 2 year samples, you’re admitting to the worst word you could ever use for developing a young qb: regression.
Say that word to any qb coach, any trainer, and they’ll squirm.

We know the stats aren’t close, so Who here feels he blew away his rookie year as far as composure? How about leadership? Did he feel far more clutch than he did 2 years ago? More unstoppable? Was he making his teammates around him better like he did in 2016? Shouldn’t he be getting better?

But it’s the offense! The offense Romo used to tear up the league? Zeke was suspended! So he isn’t a quality qb without his crutch? Sean Lee got hurt! Wouldnt you put up inflated stats when you’re playing from behind and not worse ones? Tyron Smith!!!! Guess what? There’s only one Tyron Smith in the entire nfl. No one else has him. Or are you seriously arguing Chaz Green has more influence on Dak’s career than Dak?

Yes, there are lots of excuses for why this is. I hear brand new ones every day. Why don’t we use those excuses with Big Ben? Why don’t we have dozens of excuses with Cousins or Flacco or Dalton or Cam or Matt Ryan? Why do we require excuses to keep Dak relevant with those names?
You’re right. We should use 10 year samples and go back to his Pee Wee football days when his passer rating was 50.

erod

Reaction score
What about Dan Marino’s rookie year?

By “since” do you mean like 5 games?

His “sharp decline” included and he still ranks this high on the two year list and I’m assuming he was no longer part of the greatest offense ever.? So there’s those factors.

You’re right. We’ll see in 6 months.

Dan Marino CARRIED that team. He wasn't a bus driver. They barely ran the ball.

And no, it wasn't remotely as talented of an offense as what Dak inherited. Marino was just that good....until his ego got the best of him and he never got to the Super Bowl again. He had some crash-and-burn moments in big playoff games where he could barely manage a 10 points.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You’re right. We should use 10 year samples and go back to his Pee Wee football days when his passer rating was 50.

Or 1 year samples. 2016 dak is never coming back. This year you're getting what's left over from 2017 Dak.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
everybody is already hurt on the offensive line.. I don't expect much this year... I'm already throwing out the excuses.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Because good QBs don't fall off a cliff when there are 1 or 2 injuries around them. Sure, there tends to be some drop-off (not always), especially if it is a very significant player, but they don't go from very good to very bad. If they do fall off like that, it indicates that their success was much more dependent on others than is typical.

There's no denying that the Eagles still had a pretty good team. But there's no denying Dallas did as well, and that would be especially true if Dak was who people want to think he is. A good team played well, and a capable backup had a good run. Compared to a supposed good QB fell off a cliff.

You’re welcome to your opinion of course. His play does need to be better when things around him fall apart.

What I don’t agree with is the idea that Dak is only a product of his environment. What I mean is, not every QB could play as well as Dak did, when things were going right around him. Not every QB is capable of playing the way he did in 2016 and the first half of 2017. Even with the same help that Dak did around him.

So, what I find unfair about some of these evaluations is how quick people are to blame Dak for his poor play the second half of 2017, when he didn’t have his supporting cast. But

then don’t want to give Dak any credit for how he played when things were going better. And say it’s all because of Zeke and the o line. As if any scrub QB off the street could have played at the same level even with that help. Again, football is a team sport. NFL offenses don’t produce at the level the cowboys did in 2016 and the first half of 2017. Without the QB doing some things well.

I also don’t agree where you said good QB’s don’t fall of a cliff. You’re right, good QB’s don’t. But young QB’s go through stretches of bad play and challenges all the time. It’s part of being a youn QB in the NFL. It happens all the time.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You were doing well, but this is a truly uninformed statement. What does that even mean?

Matt Ryan was the league MVP in 2016. Surely hes at the top of your QB rankings, riiiiiighht? 2 years ago was ancient history. He is as good as he is now. if he's regressed, he's regressed.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Rodgers or Brees could take this roster, as is, to 13-3 fairly easily.

We'll see what Dak can do with it.

Rodgers & Brees are elite and have 10 + years of experience on Dak.

Can't we let our guy grow up?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
big difference in letting a guy grow up and spouting he's the best QB ever... kind a sad too.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
At this point in Romo’s career he didn’t see the field for another 20 games

HungryLion

Reaction score
Rodgers & Brees are elite and have 10 + years of experience on Dak.

Can't we let our guy grow up?

I always love those types of comments.

I’m a big Dak fan. But as soon as somebody as good or Rodgers or Brees is available. Sign me up.

As if it’s that easy to just find one.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Matt Ryan was the league MVP in 2016. Surely hes at the top of your QB rankings, riiiiiighht? 2 years ago was ancient history. He is as good as he is now. if he's regressed, he's regressed.

Matt Ryan has been in the league for 10 years. However, if you look at his first two years you'll see from his rookie season to his second: his completion % drop and his rating drop with more INTs and fumbles. His average went down from 7.93 to 6.47. More attempts and less yards.

probably not the best example on your end.

Capture.png

Capture.png

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Rodgers or Brees could take this roster, as is, to 13-3 fairly easily.

We'll see what Dak can do with it.
I do agree with this.
Especially with us now having what looks to be a decent defense.

Not really fair to compare Dak to those guys though....although the OP does appear to be alluding to it. :muttley:
I assume he's just showing the number in context.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
don't compare him to guys who's been in the league 10+, lmao because he's better. I read it on here......sad

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You’re welcome to your opinion of course. His play does need to be better when things around him fall apart.

What I don’t agree with is the idea that Dak is only a product of his environment. What I mean is, not every QB could play as well as Dak did, when things were going right around him. Not every QB is capable of playing the way he did in 2016 and the first half of 2017. Even with the same help that Dak did around him.

So, what I find unfair about some of these evaluations is how quick people are to blame Dak for his poor play the second half of 2017, when he didn’t have his supporting cast. But

then don’t want to give Dak any credit for how he played when things were going better. And say it’s all because of Zeke and the o line. As if any scrub QB off the street could have played at the same level even with that help. Again, football is a team sport. NFL offenses don’t produce at the level the cowboys did in 2016 and the first half of 2017. Without the QB doing some things well.

I also don’t agree where you said good QB’s don’t fall of a cliff. You’re right, good QB’s don’t. But young QB’s go through stretches of bad play and challenges all the time. It’s part of being a youn QB in the NFL. It happens all the time.

But who said every QB could do those things? Not all QBs are the same. Dak is better than most (you have to be to even get in the league) but not as good as others. QBs who are as good or better than Dak, could do those things (some maybe more with their arm than legs, and vice versa). Those who are not as good as Dak would likely not do as well (sometimes it happens where a lesser player performs better in a limited sample). Nobody is saying that any and all QBs were as good as Dak and would do as well as he does (regardless of the circumstances around him).

I don't think you could ask anything more of Dak than what he was able to do in 2016. He was thrust into a situation, and while he was immensely helped by his teammates, he kept his head on straight and performed admirably. However, I don't think, given the circumstances, it was the greatest indicator of where his abilities were in the grand scheme of things. And you expect some struggles from young QBs...nobody said you wouldn't. But the problems are usually up and down with improvement over time. Dak's trend is pointing down and that includes a huge fall off a cliff for an entire half of the season. That is evidence of what I'm talking about.