QB Stats Through Two Years

erod

Reaction score
I always love those types of comments.

I’m a big Dak fan. But as soon as somebody as good or Rodgers or Brees is available. Sign me up.

As if it’s that easy to just find one.

It's not meant as a comparison, but just a guideline for what this roster is. To me, those are the best two in the game right now, even better than Brady.

Rodgers is the best I've ever seen. Brees is just amazing, too. They'd run this Ferrari like champions.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's not meant as a comparison, but just a guideline for what this roster is. To me, those are the best two in the game right now, even better than Brady.

Rodgers is the best I've ever seen. Brees is just amazing, too. They'd run this Ferrari like champions.
I like the current Saints roster better than Dallas'...and I like Dallas' fairly well.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

don't worry, in a few minutes somebody will chime in with some stats to prove Check down Charlie is better than Rodgers, Brees, or Brady..... don't trust what your eyes see, it's an illusion..

erod

Reaction score
I like the current Saints roster better than Dallas'...and I like Dallas' fairly well.
I think they're the team to beat in the NFC right now, but they have some injury/suspension issues, too.

Blackrain

Reaction score
He inherited the greatest offense in NFL history for a rookie starter.

His play has steeply declined since.

We'll know everything in 6 months.

I suspect, he's average. He's Alex Smith at best, Tyrod Taylor at worst. He's OK.

But we'll see. I'm rooting like crazy for him because the rest of the team is looking very young and promising.

Sure glad you are rooting for him I would hate to see it if you wanted him to fail LOLOL

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Capture.png

Capture.png

Honestly though, this comparison, and what Matt Ryan has eventually became, should give everyone some solace.

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score
Witten caught 69 passes that year. He was Dak's favorite target. He was still in the top 10 tight ends in football.

Romo made Dez, Beasley, and Williams look like an elite group. That's what elite quarterbacks do.

Now, we'll see if Dak can throw from the pocket to receivers downfield. This season, he either will or he won't.

Romo was not an elite QB he was very good . Dez , Beasley and Williams never looked elite either just good in spurts . If any of the players you mentioned make it to the HOF I will stand corrected and call them Elite till then they were good at times and very bad at times if we are totally honest.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Not with the Pit crew from Pep Boys that we have they wouldn't. LOLOL

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Total yards (rushing & passing) through first two full(ish) seasons as starter:

D Prescott: 7,603
Luck: 8.828
R Wilson: 7,503
R Tannehill: 7,656
C Wentz: 7,527 (30 games)
M Stafford: 7,491 (26 games)
C Kaepernick: 7,729
K Cousins: 9,119

These are Dak's contemporaries and we can go back and forth for eternity about who the better players are, but that's irrelevant. Are you going to put Ryan Tannehill in the same conversation as Dan Marino? Is Colin Kaepernick a peer of Joe Montana? All of these guys compare to quarterbacks who played 30 years ago if you look at volume numbers and ignore the fact that the eras are completely different. But by saying that Dak compares to all of them, you're also saying that the guys on the above list do too, which means that the comparison doesn't set Dak apart from his contemporaries and grossly skews quarterback play today in general.

Dak, as good as he is, is a fairly middle of the road contemporary quarterback in overall production, and this list doesn't even include the likes of Matt Ryan, who took a couple of years to become prolific, or Goff, Mahomes, Watson and Garoppolo who could very well surpass - by a long shot - Daks' first two years.

Russell Wilson & Andrew Luck are just under elite when healthy and Dak’s numbers compare very well to them. Stafford has had some great seasons as well. In 2011 he had 41 passing TDs, but since then he’s only averaged 26. Kaepernick was nearly unstoppable before the league neutralized the read option. Dak doesn’t run that offense so you won’t see a similar drop off. Tannehill is only comparable in yards, the totality of his numbers is why he pales in comparison. Kirk Cousins’ numbers surprised me. They’re great, but we also only equated his 4th & 5th seasons, not the nine games he started up til then. Dak didn’t have that luxury and still compares very nicely. Who knows what his numbers will look like in his 4th & 5th seasons, we’re only just now going into year three. You even cited Matt Ryan as taking a couple years to turn prolific. Based on the evidence we have so far, we have no reason to believe Dak won’t keep improving as well.

Total Yards
Kirk Cousins - 9,227
Andrew Luck - 8,828
Ryan Tannehill - 7,656
Dak Prescott - 7,630
Colin Kaepernick - 7,505
Russell Wilson - 7,503
Matthew Stafford - 7,491

Total TDs
Kirk Cousins - 63
Dak Prescott - 57
Russell Wilson - 57
Matthew Stafford - 56
Andrew Luck - 55
Colin Kaepernick - 49
Ryan Tannehill - 39

Completion %
Kirk Cousins - 68.3%
Dak Prescott - 65.2%
Russell Wilson - 63.6%
Matthew Stafford - 60.0%
Ryan Tannehill - 59.4%
Andrew Luck - 57.0%

Yards / Attempt
Russell Wilson - 8.1
Kirk Cousins - 7.9
Dak Prescott - 7.4
Colin Kaepernick - 7.3
Matthew Stafford - 7.0
Andrew Luck - 6.8
Ryan Tannehill - 6.7

Interceptions
Dak Prescott - 17
Russell Wilson - 19
Colin Kaepernick - 19
Kirk Cousins - 23
Andrew Luck - 27
Ryan Tannehill - 30
Matthew Stafford - 36

Passer Rating
Russell Wilson - 100.6
Kirk Cousins - 99.3
Dak Prescott - 95.5
Colin Kaepernick - 88.8
Matthew Stafford - 84.0
Andrew Luck - 81.5
Ryan Tannehill - 79.1

W/L Record
Russell Wilson - 24-8 (75%)
Dak Prescott - 22-10 (69%)
Andrew Luck - 22-10 (69%)
Colin Kaepernick - 20-12 (63%)
Kirk Cousins - 17-14-1 (55%)
Ryan Tannehill - 15-17 (47%)
Matthew Stafford - 12-14 (46%)

erod

Reaction score
Romo was not an elite QB he was very good . Dez , Beasley and Williams never looked elite either just good in spurts . If any of the players you mentioned make it to the HOF I will stand corrected and call them Elite till then they were good at times and very bad at times if we are totally honest.
Romo was elite. Easily elite.

And we wasted him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Matt Ryan has been in the league for 10 years. However, if you look at his first two years you'll see from his rookie season to his second: his completion % drop and his rating drop with more INTs and fumbles. His average went down from 7.93 to 6.47. More attempts and less yards.

probably not the best example on your end.

Capture.png

Capture.png

It's a perfect example, because it's not 2008, and Dak isn't a rookie. Using his rookie year in any manner to project onto him is wrong.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I get what you’re saying.

I would love to see a Rodgers or Brees as the cowboys QB. Brees has been one of my favorites since he played for Purdue, since I live in Big 10
Country.

Unfortunately those guys are once every 10 years or so type players. Extremely rare and hard to find.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

To say dez or romo never looked elite
Proves you either don’t have eyes or any understanding of football.

Or you were born in 2015.

NOT ONE WR has scored more than Dez since 2010. This is a guy who can’t run routes, yet no one could stop him from scoring.

Romo was an MVP caliber player. Hall of fame numbers. Statistically one of the best PASSERS OF ALL TIME.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Total Yards
Aaron Rodgers - 8,995
Peyton Manning - 8,009
Dak Prescott - 7,630
Carson Wentz - 7,534
Tony Romo - 7,345
Dan Marino - 7,332
Tom Brady - 6,780
Drew Brees - 5,627
Joe Montana - 5,532
Roger Staubach - 4,903
Troy Aikman - 4,789

Total TDs
Dan Marino - 71
Aaron Rodgers - 67
Dak Prescott - 57
Tony Romo - 57
Peyton Manning - 54
Carson Wentz - 51
Tom Brady - 48
Roger Staubach - 43
Joe Montana - 38
Drew Brees - 29
Troy Aikman - 21

Completion %
Dak Prescott - 65.2%
Tony Romo - 64.8%
Aaron Rodgers - 64.2%
Joe Montana - 64.0%
Tom Brady - 62.8%
Dan Marino - 62.2%
Carson Wentz - 61.5%
Roger Staubach - 61.4%
Drew Brees - 59.5%
Peyton Manning - 59.3%
Troy Aikman - 55.1%

Yards / Attempt
Roger Staubach - 8.7
Dan Marino - 8.5
Tony Romo - 8.3
Aaron Rodgers - 7.9
Dak Prescott - 7.4
Peyton Manning - 7.1
Joe Montana - 7.0
Carson Wentz - 6.8
Tom Brady - 6.5
Troy Aikman - 6.3
Drew Brees - 6.1

Interceptions
Dak Prescott - 17
Roger Staubach - 19
Aaron Rodgers - 20
Joe Montana - 21
Carson Wentz - 21
Dan Marino - 23
Tom Brady - 26
Drew Brees - 31
Tony Romo - 32
Troy Aikman - 36
Peyton Manning - 43

Passer Rating
Dan Marino - 104.5
Roger Staubach - 98.9
Aaron Rodgers - 98.5
Tony Romo - 96.5
Dak Prescott - 95.5
Carson Wentz - 88.8
Joe Montana - 88.2
Tom Brady - 86.0
Peyton Manning - 80.6
Drew Brees - 73.1
Troy Aikman - 62.0

W/L Record
Dan Marino - 21-4 (84%)
Roger Staubach - 20-4 (83%)
Tony Romo - 19-7 (73%)
Dak Prescott - 22-10 (69%)
Tom Brady - 22-10 (69%)
Joe Montana - 15-8 (65%)
Carson Wentz - 18-11 (62%)
Aaron Rodgers - 17-15 (53%)
Peyton Manning - 16-16 (50%)
Drew Brees - 10-17 (37%)
Troy Aikman - 7-19 (27%)

*sips tea* Mornin’.
You can't compare across eras without adjusting for the league averages of each era.

Dak's 95.5 passer rating ranks 10th over the last two seasons. The league average passer rating is 85.9.

Staubach's 98.5 passer rating in the two seasons you sampled was Beamonesque. It was almost 40 points better than the league average of 60.5, and 11 points higher than that of the next QB (Bob Griese).

Number1

Reaction score
I've always expected Dak's career numbers to look a lot like Romo's + a lot of rushing, their core skills set is very similar in the pocket and extending plays.

they have similar challenges - great to iffy pass blacking, a 50/50 run pass timing system ... JG , ect.

there is big diff throwing 30x a game and 35x a game - comparing different QBs in diff systems is kinda clunky

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This bears repeating as well...

Dak before Zeke susp. & Tyron injury:
2,013 TOTAL YDS, 20 TOTAL TDS, 4 INT

Extrapolated over the entire 2017 season:
4,026 TOTAL YDS, 40 TOTAL TDS, 8 INT
I still think Prescott has plenty of upside. He has a good strong arm with football intelligence and character. At this stage his accuracy isnt constant enough to carry a team with his arm, which was exposed the last portion of the season. However once he can get proper footwork down to muscle memory, he can become that type of QB that can carry a team.