QB Stats Through Two Years

HungryLion

Reaction score
Everyone's success or failure is in part a product of the guys around him (including coaching). I said it was more so than other guys in Dak's case. Wentz faced a lot of adversity with injuries last year as well and kept right along.

An injury or two should not mean a near complete collapse at the QB position (unless that injury is to a QB).

The Eagles were fortunate that their backup QB was capable enough to have a good run.

I agree that All QB’s are a product of people around them to an extent. Football is the ultimate team sport.

But my question is, why is Dak a product of them, more than the other guys? What evidence is there of that?

You mention Wentz. He did have a lot of injuries around him. Then again, his backup played with the same team around him, post injuries and he put up near historic numbers in the playoffs and won super bowl MVP. So clearly the supporting cast wasn’t that bad even after the injuries to guys like Sproles and Peters. That’s my point.

erod

Reaction score
Dude, he’s on a list with some of the greats of all time after two years.

That by any estimation is, at least, a very good start.

He inherited the greatest offense in NFL history for a rookie starter.

His play has steeply declined since.

We'll know everything in 6 months.

I suspect, he's average. He's Alex Smith at best, Tyrod Taylor at worst. He's OK.

But we'll see. I'm rooting like crazy for him because the rest of the team is looking very young and promising.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He inherited the greatest offense in NFL history for a rookie starter.

His play has steeply declined since.

We'll know everything in 6 months.

I suspect, he's average. He's Alex Smith at best, Tyrod Taylor at worst. He's OK.

But we'll see. I'm rooting like crazy for him because the rest of the team is looking very young and promising.
This isn't accurate. Steeply declined is a little exaggerated IMO

HungryLion

Reaction score
You don’t have to agree with it. And there’s nothing unique about it... most QBs have the mobility to score in those plays. They just don’t need to. Aaron Rodgers is faster and a better scrambler than Dak and could easily score a lot of rushing touchdowns. He just doesn’t need to. They have running backs for that.
And there’s no problem with giving Dak credit for his rushing touchdowns. Just list them separately instead of trying to mislead people like the garbage in the OP.

How is the phrase total Td’s misleading?

Its not misleading at all if you can read.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Steep decline is probably fair when looking at his record breaking rookie season. However, comparing him to other second years QBs (e.g. Russell Wilson) he's on track.

erod

Reaction score

6 TD and 9 INT in the last 7 games. Led the league in pick-sixes. Horrible 3rd-down efficiency.

The offense was pathetic, and it needed a QB to lead it like really good quarterbacks do.

He can rebound. You might not believe it, but I do have hope for the guy. He's determined and poised, and that can account for a lot.

He's got to figure out this game from the pocket in some way that suits his abilities. That's their focus right now.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Steep decline is probably fair when looking at his record breaking rookie season. However, comparing him to other second years QBs (e.g. Russell Wilson) he's on track.
Not statistically. He threw and ran about the same amount of TDs. His attempts were up and his average was lower. As well as more INTs.
But he only threw 20 yards less a game.
I'd hardly call that steep.

I think some fans put his first season too high and his second too low.

HungryLion

Reaction score

It’s also BS to say the greatest offense ever for a rookie QB.

There’s no way to quantify that. It’s also comical considering how many people on this board piss and moan about Jerry and the front office, then want to turn around and call the offense around Dak one of the best and one that carries him. And how many people complain about the coaches (me included on that). But again want to claim that Dak is the product of some mythical amazing system that no other QB in the league benefits from.

It’s horsecrap.

erod

Reaction score
How is the phrase total Td’s misleading?

Its not misleading at all if you can read.

QBs acting like running backs is of no value in the NFL. Good quarterbacks rarely need to bother doing that. That's his point.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
6 TD and 9 INT in the last 7 games. Led the league in pick-sixes. Horrible 3rd-down efficiency.

The offense was pathetic, and it needed a QB to lead it like really good quarterbacks do.

He can rebound. You might not believe it, but I do have hope for the guy. He's determined and poised, and that can account for a lot.

He's got to figure out this game from the pocket in some way that suits his abilities. That's their focus right now.
The entire offense was hammered. This isn't just an injury or two or a young QB struggling.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The front office sucks.

The coaching sucks.

Dak is a product of the team around him.

:laugh:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The Dak supporters are the people hurting his image the most. By only using 2 year samples, you’re admitting to the worst word you could ever use for developing a young qb: regression.
Say that word to any qb coach, any trainer, and they’ll squirm.

We know the stats aren’t close, so Who here feels he blew away his rookie year as far as composure? How about leadership? Did he feel far more clutch than he did 2 years ago? More unstoppable? Was he making his teammates around him better like he did in 2016? Shouldn’t he be getting better?

But it’s the offense! The offense Romo used to tear up the league? Zeke was suspended! So he isn’t a quality qb without his crutch? Sean Lee got hurt! Wouldnt you put up inflated stats when you’re playing from behind and not worse ones? Tyron Smith!!!! Guess what? There’s only one Tyron Smith in the entire nfl. No one else has him. Or are you seriously arguing Chaz Green has more influence on Dak’s career than Dak?

Yes, there are lots of excuses for why this is. I hear brand new ones every day. Why don’t we use those excuses with Big Ben? Why don’t we have dozens of excuses with Cousins or Flacco or Dalton or Cam or Matt Ryan? Why do we require excuses to keep Dak relevant with those names?

erod

Reaction score
It’s also BS to say the greatest offense ever for a rookie QB.

There’s no way to quantify that. It’s also comical considering how many people on this board piss and moan about Jerry and the front office, then want to turn around and call the offense around Dak one of the best and one that carries him. And how many people complain about the coaches (me included on that). But again want to claim that Dak is the product of some mythical amazing system that no other QB in the league benefits from.

It’s horsecrap.

LOL, nice try.

Name me one rookie in NFL history who started on an offense with an elite offensive line, elite RB, Hall of Fame tight end, and above average group of receivers?

There's never been one until Dak.

HungryLion

Reaction score
QBs acting like running backs is of no value in the NFL. Good quarterbacks rarely need to bother doing that. That's his point.

If that’s his point, than it’s dumber than I thought.

Are the eagles going to hand the super bowl trophy back because Nick Foles acted like a receiver and caught one or the eagles touchdowns?

I didn’t think so.

HungryLion

Reaction score
LOL, nice try.

Name me one rookie in NFL history who started on an offense with an elite offensive line, elite RB, Hall of Fame tight end, and above average group of receivers?

There's never been one until Dak.

I’m not the one making the claim, you are.

Also, you’re saying he is the only young QB to benefit from a great supporting cast around him. It’s just stupid and asinine. Football is a team sport.

It’s just another excuse to try and rip Dak and not give him any credit.

erod

Reaction score
I’m not the one making the claim, you are.

Also, you’re saying he is the only young QB to benefit from a great supporting cast around him. It’s just stupid and asinine. Football is a team sport.

It’s just another excuse to try and rip Dak and not give him any credit.

Credit for what? Last year was awful.

Most elite young quarterbacks inherit a crap storm if they get to start. Like Aikman did here.

Most don't start. They watch and learn for a while, then begin.

Dak walked onto a team built to win a championship, at least offensively. Dallas solved the Joseph Randle problem with Zeke, so Romo could take one last shot. Dak got to take that shot.

I"m just destroying the argument of "best two years to start ever" compared to the great quarterbacks, who didn't have this much ammo when they began.

erod

Reaction score
Scheme has something to do with it- Dak is at a huge net negative with our coaching staff

1. Linehan calls what what Dak can actually do.

2. Dak has the ball in his hand. Linehan can't throw it downfield for him. Dak prefers the checkdown.

3. Linehan has a long career as a respected and creative offensive mind. He's working with one hand tied behind his back with Dak.

4. If Dak matures properly in his 3rd year, all this becomes moot, and it should go well.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Credit for what? Last year was awful.

Most elite young quarterbacks inherit a crap storm if they get to start. Like Aikman did here.

Most don't start. They watch and learn for a while, then begin.

Dak walked onto a team built to win a championship, at least offensively. Dallas solved the Joseph Randle problem with Zeke, so Romo could take one last shot. Dak got to take that shot.

I"m just destroying the argument of "best two years to start ever" compared to the great quarterbacks, who didn't have this much ammo when they began.

I mean I wouldn’t make the argument it’s the best 2 year start ever either.

I just think Dak deserves credit for the long stretches when he did in fact play well. And let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.