Quarterback Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
CowboynIRAQ said:
And another thing, if you were to go out and practice all those accuracy throwing drills you would become very accurate also.

How come Quincy hasn't figured it out then yet?

BHendri5

Reaction score
junk said:
How come Quincy hasn't figured it out then yet?

Why don't you go and ask him? He'll talk to you and he'll answer your questions. When you go to TC, ask him.

He's a QB and has been for a long time now, he probably figures that is not a top priority right now, he is a QB, you and I are just fans, trying to figure out what our teams needs from each player and what they need to do as a team to win that Lombardi trophy.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
CowboynIRAQ said:
Why don't you go and ask him? He'll talk to you and he'll answer your questions. When you go to TC, ask him.

He's a QB and has been for a long time now, he probably figures that is not a top priority right now, he is a QB, you and I are just fans, trying to figure out what our teams needs from each player and what they need to do as a team to win that Lombardi trophy.

Me: How come you haven't worked on your accuracy QC? CowboynIRAQ says if you just practice, you would be accurate, but you must not think it is a top priority right now.

QC: What?

Me: Yeah, apparently being able to throw the ball to a spot where your reciever is at or will be at or in other words, accuracy, is not a top priority for you right now. Could you work on that because I am getting tired of you throwing balls behind guys and CowboynIRAQ says all you have to do is practice and you can do it.

QC: Which reminds me kids. Don't ever smoke crack.

:rolleyes:

BHendri5

Reaction score
junk said:
Me: How come you haven't worked on your accuracy QC? CowboynIRAQ says if you just practice, you would be accurate, but you must not think it is a top priority right now.

Me: Yeah, apparently being able to throw the ball to a spot where your reciever is at or will be at or in other words, accuracy, is not a top priority for you right now. Could you work on that because I am getting tired of you throwing balls behind guys and CowboynIRAQ says all you have to do is practice and you can do it.

You should be telling kids not to show your crack? While you are rolling your eyes try and find some kind of sense, in all that space you have in your head. LOL

You know, the saying is that you ought to be able to make fun of yourself, so I guess you are not crazy.

Now on a serious note, You act like you're afraid of Carter, I was serious when you go to TC like you said you were going ask him why he is not as accurate as you would like him to be, He'll talk to you, and You'll get a good answer.

You want to make jokes like you're scared of him or something.

BHendri5

Reaction score
junk said:

Hold your thoughts, I got shift change, I'll be back in on duty in 12 hrs.
Peace

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
I love these kind of speculations

Off the subject personal note: I was typing this post while watching the Packers/Raiders 1999 game replay on NFL Network. Favre hurt his hand that day. It prompted one of the game announcers to say that Favre has a HIGH tolerance for pain. In my opinion, ANYBODY has a high tolerance for pain when they're an admitted Vicodin addict, but that's just me. Back to my reply...

Crosby: "Is Quincy Carter a quarterback that could deliver 20-25 touchdown passes and only throw 10-12 interceptions during a 16-game regular season?"

IMO? Hell, no. Now comes a BETTER question based upon Mr. Crosby's own assumption.

What quarterback in the entire NFL CAN guarantee to throw 20+ touchdowns AND 12-or-less interceptions during a 16-game regular season? Let's look at what quarterbacks could have fit those same parameters during the last quarter century...

Code:
[i]PLAYER              YEAR    TEAM         TD   INT[/i]
Peyton Manning       2003   Colts        29    10
Trent Green          2003   Chiefs       24    12
Aaron Brooks         2003   Saints       24     8
Tom Brady            2003   Patriots     23    12
Final Team Results Summary: Colts/AFC runnerup, Chiefs/AFC divisional loser, Saints/NFC South runnerup, Patriots/Super Bowl winner

Code:
Rich Gannon          2002   Raiders      26    10
Jeff Garcia          2002   49ers        21    10
Final Team Results Summary: Raiders/Super Bowl runnerup, 49ers/NFC divisional loser

Code:
Donovan McNabb       2001   Eagles       25    12
Rich Gannon          2001   Raiders      27     9
Jeff Garcia          2001   49ers        32    12
Final Team Results Summary: Eagles/NFC runnerup, Raiders/AFC divisional loser [they were robbed], 49ers/NFC wild card loser

Code:
Rich Gannon          2000   Raiders      28    11
Jeff Garcia          2000   49ers        31    10
Final Team Results Summary: Raiders/AFC runnerup, 49ers/NFC West 4th-place finisher

1999. Zero, but notable quarterbacks who threw 20+ touchdowns & 19-or-less interceptions--

Code:
[i]PLAYER		TEAM		TD	INT[/i]
Steve Beuerlein	Panthers	36	15	Did not make playoffs
Peyton Manning	Colts		26	15	AFC divisional loser
Elvis Grbac	Chiefs		22	15	Did not make playoffs
Rich Gannon	Raiders		24	14	Did not make playoffs
Kurt Warner	Rams		41	13	Super Bowl winner
Brad Johnson	Commanders	24	13	NFC divisional loser

Code:
Randall Cunningham   1998   Vikings      34    10
Final Team Results Summary: NFC runnerup

Code:
John Elway           1997   Broncos      27    11
Jeff George          1997   Raiders      29     9
Trent Dilfer         1997   Buccaneers   21    11
Final Team Results Summary: Broncos/Super Bowl winner, Raiders/AFC West 4th-place finisher, Buccaneers/NFC divisional loser

1996. Nada, but notable quarterbacks who threw 20+ touchdowns & 19-or-less interceptions--

Code:
Jeff Blake	Bengals		24	14	Did not make playoffs
Brett Favre	Packers		39	13	Super Bowl winner
Drew Bledsoe	Patriots	27	15	Super Bowl runnerup
Vinny Testaverde Ravens		33	19	Did not make playoffs

Code:
Jeff George          1995   Falcons      24    11
Erik Kramer          1995   Bears        29    10
Scott Mitchell       1995   Lions        32    12
Steve Bono           1995   Chiefs       21    10
Final Team Results Summary: Falcons/NFC wild card loser, Bears/NFC Central 3rd-place finisher, Lions/NFC wild card loser, Chiefs/AFC divisional loser

Code:
Steve Young          1994   49ers        35    10
Final Team Results Summary: 49ers/Super Bowl winner

Code:
John Elway           1993   Broncos      25    10
Final Team Results Summary: Broncos/AFC wild card loser

Code:
Steve Young          1992   49ers        25     7
Final Team Results Summary: 49ers/NFC runnerup

Code:
Mark Rypien          1991   Commanders     28    11
Final Team Results Summary: Commanders/Super Bowl winner

Code:
Steve Deberg         1990   Chiefs       23     4
Dan Marino           1990   Dolphins     21    11
Final Team Results Summary: Chiefs/AFC wild card loser, Dolphins/AFC divisional loser

Code:
Boomer Esiason       1989   Bengals      28    11
Final Team Results Summary: Bengals/AFC Central last place finisher

1988. Zlitch, but notable quarterbacks who threw 20+ touchdowns & 19-or-less interceptions--

Code:
Boomer Esiason	Bengals		28	14	Super Bowl runnerup
Bobby Hebert	Saints		20	15	Did not make playoffs
Randall Cunningham Eagles	24	16	NFC divisional loser
Jim Everett	Rams		31	18	NFC wild card loser

1987. Strike year.

Code:
Jim Kelly       Bills	        22	17         Did not make playoffs
Boomer Esiason	Bengals	        24	17         Did not make playoffs
Dan Marino	Dolphins	44	23         Did not make playoffs
Phil Simms	Giants	        21	22         Wonder what Parcells expected?
Jay Schroeder	Commanders	22	22         NFC runnerup

Code:
Ken O'Brien          1985   Jets         25     8
Final Team Results Summary: Jets/AFC wild card loser

Code:
Tony Eason           1984   Patriots     23     8
Joe Montana          1984   49ers        28    10
Final Team Results Summary: Patriots/AFC East runnerup, 49ers/Super Bowl winner

Code:
Joe Montana          1983   49ers        26    12
Joe Theismann        1983   Commanders     29    11
Final Team Results Summary: 49ers/NFC runnerups, Commanders/Super Bowl runnerup

1982. Strike year.

Code:
Ken Anderson         1981   Bengals      29    10
Final Team Results Summary: Super Bowl runnerup

Code:
Ron Jaworski         1980   Eagles       27    12
Final Team Results Summary: Super Bowl runnerup

Code:
Roger Staubach       1979   Cowboys      27    11
Final Team Results Summary: Cowboys/NFC divisional loser ["Paging Mr. Crosby... paging Mr. Crosby..."]

Here's a a breakdown of the quarterbacks' teams who actually fit within Mr. Crosby's expectation--

Code:
[i]Finish			 %[/i]
Divisional loser	21%
Did not make playoffs	18%
Wild card loser		18%
Conference Runnerup	18%
Super Bowl winner	15%
Super Bowl runnerup	12%

Insane. Mr. Crosby's rules include a few Super Bowl quarterbacks, but not all. Wouldn't it be simpler to expect a successful quarterback in a Parcells-style offense to--

1. Throw more TDs than INTs
2. Stay within the offensive scheme

In other words, a ball-control quarterback. Plain and simple. Parcells hopes that he has one on his roster now, but only the season will decide if he actually has one. IMO, that's within Parcells expectations. On the other hand, Mr. Crosby's expectations are a bit more extreme. The team could have a better season than last year's and the starting quarterback still doesn't have to put up those types of numbers. And he doesn't have to.
Great post DallaEast

LynnFoster

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I have said this many times on other boards. Me, right here, the guy typing this message is a supporter of Quincy Carter. Mainly because we have invested so much time in this guy, I would like to see him improve and succeed. But....

Again, this guy was our 1st pick in the 2001 Draft. I beleive I should expect more from a former 1st pick than 3 seasons of More INTs than TDs, questionable decision making and up and down play in general at the QB Position. I am almost certain that this guy cannot lead a team to a Super Bowl all by himself but how many QBs playing today can. All he is asked to do is to be as mistake free as possible, throw the ball away when neccessary and make a couple of plays every now and then. As a supporter, I know I get frustrated when I see this same old scenario at the beginning of the year and the end of the year with Carter:

Carter drops back
No receivers open
Carter is under pressure
Carter rolls to his right and back
While jumping in the air, Carter throws the ball right to the Corner or LB staring him down the whole time

This scenario seemed to happen a bunch last year. He knows he has to improve. Hell Bill was even nice enough to jot all of the needed improvements down on a notecard this Off Season.

Me_Mickgreen58.jpg

As you can see, Mickgreen58 AKA Mike is black, so please do not use the "Race Card" if you plan to offer a counterargument to anything I have said.

Living in Big D my whole life, I know there are some fans that do not like him because his race, hell I have seen it, but I beleive the majority of people judge him by his play.

Go ask Don Meredith about how Cowboys fans treat their QBs
Go ask Roger Staubach about how Cowboys fans treat their QBs
Danny White, Hogeboom, Aikman, the list goes on....

Carter, Henson, Hutch and MANY others to come will not be given any mercy. If you want to be QB for the Cowboys, you better have really think skin.

I need to go find the passage in "Cowboys have always been my heroes", a good book I am reading, where Don Meredith and other Cowboys had just lost a playoff game. They were going to eat at a restaurant here in Dallas, and people started leaving because they didnt want to eat with "Losers".

Also, the only thing I hate is when fans go after the family members of Cowboy Players. I think that is hitting below the belt. I have heard people viciously attack Quincy Carter's sister, which I think is stupid.

- Mike G.

Great post Mike.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LynnFoster said:
Great post Mike.
Lynn. I'm glad to see you posting. Please join in more often and quit lurking.

I agree. That was a fantastic post and I PMed MickGreen and told him how much I appreciated it.

billknows

Reaction score
Babe what a joke you really are,, are you really a fan

Heres how it is really going down and smart fans know this,unlike you!

First off carter will start the season no matter what, Vinnie and our future henson will not out preform him or really be given the chance to that extent,it's a coach confidence thing,he's earned the start of the season,and there will not be enough justification to put the 40 yr. old or the rookie in period!!!!!!!

Carter starts, now guess what, our schedule looks to be a 5-1 start. Carter will have plenty of confidence and our line/ running game will have a chance to gell and be much better than at the start of the season. Carter will also have a chance to get in sync with Key, that could also help his status.

These points that i've stated alone give give Carter the power to be the Dallas Cowboys Quarterback throughout the season. now add the fact that carter has worked hard and should natually progress to be more improved through coaching / job maturity he should have a fewer number of mistakes than last year, whether that is enough to get fans to rally behind him,my guess is a still luke warm feeling that is greatly helped by a winning record.

WOW!! you know what I totally forgot about our DEFENSE. A defense that is # 1 in the NFL that has upgraded by FA and experience ( with the slight chance of downplay at corner,I think at least same or better play( f23k Irving) than PI Edwards) . A defense that is Carters best friend, as allways,no exception this year. Eleven more men to help strengthen his position as starting QB.

We will win 10-11 games with the Q bank it baby... His percieved weaknesses will show themselves throughout the season ,and may actually cost him a benching this season,but I sort of dought it,mainly because Parcells dosent know if Carter can bounce back from a deserved benching.

Has Bill and JJ boxed themselves in a position to be forced to ride a QB that has 2 winning records in a row, and the answer is NO WAY Baby................That was` what our draft move was all about. We will have two first rounders and a second to strengthen our team weaknesses this year,and allow Bill to make a bold choice to move up Henson . Parcells will put the man that gives the Cowboys the best potential skills/ future the job next year and Carter will have to have a really exceptional year to stay the starter next year. i am assuming Henson has the skill to take the chance on,I think he probably does,and can excell next yr, ....Remember he has 11 good men in his corner too,and 2 first rounders!!!

That's whats really going on........................

bill knows

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
junk said:

:D

ROFL!

Bluefin

Reaction score
junk said:
Aikman is hands down a far more accurate QB than Carter is and probably ever will be. His accuracy and Super Bowl victories will be his legacy. Irvin and Emmitt would not have had the careers they did without Aikman. Those teams would have been hard pressed to win one Super Bowl with Carter, much less three.

Give the guy his due, I will give QC his if/when he earns it.

Troy Aikman was one of, if not the, most accurate passers in the history of football.

It was a gift.

Every quarterback continually refines his mechanics throughout his career, but Aikman was naturally as close to mechanically perfect as a quarterback can get.

The only perculiarity with Aikman was how he griped the football with the laces in his palm.

That was why rainy conditions and slick balls could sometimes give him major problems.

We also have to consider that Aikman was a perfect fit for Norval Turner's timing based offense.

Aikman was in his fourth year in the league and second in Turner's system when Dallas won the first of three Super Bowls during his career.

Quincy Carter is now entering his fourth season and second in Sean Payton's passing attack (Mo is the OC, but Payton is in charge of the passing game).

I'm not expecting a Super Bowl, but things could get interesting if several players take the next step along with Carter.

CowboynIRAQ said:
Can't give it to him, because he never won without Emmitt and Irvin, but they won without him. You like stats, look back and see how many times aikman won without those guys. Look at each guy individually and see for yourself who was more successful without one or two. You will see that aikman was not successful at all. Those stats has been posted here before, you may not have been a member then, but they have been posted here before.

You know I do give aikman his due, he was great at managing the game, he was great at carrying out what the coaches asked of him, but rest assure the team that was around aikman, would have won with any QB that could be a bus driver, an average QB could have won SBs with those teams, those teams had it all.
Each of the triplets, or should I say quadrulets (Novacek) was a vital cog in the offense.

The scheme was very dependant on the offensive line and running game.

Aikman himself pointed to Novacek's early retirement as the beginning of the end.

Aikman wasn't able to elevate average players into Pro Bowlers, few quarterbacks can.

And Aikman wasn't gifted in come from behind victories a la Roger staubach or John Elway.

Aikman was a sharpshooter from 25 yards in and his greatest strength was his willingness to stand tall in the pocker and wait until an option came open.

As the team started its death throes, that strength also porved to be Aikman's greatest weakness.

Troy was able to slide and sidestep defenders in his early years, but was a sitting duck towards the end.

If Aikman needed a dominant line in front of him to succeed, why do some label it an apology when the issue is raised on Carter's behalf?

CowboynIRAQ said:
I'll tell you what is ludicrous, believing that it was God given talent. Accuracy can be achieved with practice, I've seen QBs do it all the time, I watched you guys boy hutch do it last TC. Accuracy can be taught, and with practice you get better and better just like blocking reading defenses. It took aikman 3yrs to get the reading of defenses down, as far as we know. He may have still been learning to read defenses up into his 5th or 6th season, we do not know for sure, but we do know that it took him 3yrs for sure, and he had it down enough so that we could win a Super Bowl in his 4th season. NO it is not ludicrous to comapre Quincy to Aikman they are 2 people no different than any other person in this world, or any other QB that has played football.
I also believe Aikman's accuracy was mostly natural ability.

Good coaching helped improve Aikman as a passer, but some quarterbacks come into the league possessing near flawless mechanics and throwing motions.

Aikman was such a case

I also believe that quarterbacks who have accuracy problems can improve if it is linked to their mechanics.

Carter is such a case.

Quincy has made tremendous strides as a passer since entering the league and there's no reason to think he's reached his ceiling in this area.

Last year in week one, Troy Aikman said that Carter was as good as most passers in the NFL when he knew where he wanted to go with the ball (which is why I want to see the running game keep the team in short yardage situations and limit what defenses can do).

Troy isn't one to hand out compliments to any Cowboy over the airwaves.

If the team continues to improve and defenses aren't able to sit back all the time in pass defense, I do believe Carter can play at a high level.

Plenty of it is on Carter, but there is also quite a few things the team can improve on to help carter play better.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
CowboynIRAQ said:
You should be telling kids not to show your crack? While you are rolling your eyes try and find some kind of sense, in all that space you have in your head. LOL

You know, the saying is that you ought to be able to make fun of yourself, so I guess you are not crazy.

Now on a serious note, You act like you're afraid of Carter, I was serious when you go to TC like you said you were going ask him why he is not as accurate as you would like him to be, He'll talk to you, and You'll get a good answer.

You want to make jokes like you're scared of him or something.

I think of anyone on this board, you are probably the last one that should question my intelligence.

I am not afraid of Carter, I was making a joke to try to point out how ridiculous your replies have been.

If becoming accurate is simply a matter of practicing, why hasn't Carter done it yet? In my mind, what could be more important that being able to get the ball to the receiver? If it is accurate, it will not be intercepted and will allow the receiver to run after the catch. To me, accuracy seems to be a very important trait for a QB. What good is a QB with a cannon arm, if he can't hit the broadside of a barn?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
junk said:
I think of anyone on this board, you are probably the last one that should question my intelligence.

I am not afraid of Carter, I was making a joke to try to point out how ridiculous your replies have been.

If becoming accurate is simply a matter of practicing, why hasn't Carter done it yet? In my mind, what could be more important that being able to get the ball to the receiver? If it is accurate, it will not be intercepted and will allow the receiver to run after the catch. To me, accuracy seems to be a very important trait for a QB. What good is a QB with a cannon arm, if he can't hit the broadside of a barn?

Junk. Rest assured by the end of training camp we'll all have a pretty good idea if we have the "new & improved" Quincy or the old recipe.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
[QUOTE
Carter's main task is to eliminate the impulse plays from his reportoire that so often led to mishaps on the field.

If Q can do that, something Parcells claimed all of his previous signal callers have had to learn, he'll remain on the field for Dallas this season.

Love that Crosby.[/QUOTE]

I somewhat agree, but Keep in mind that big bill wanted a bus driver last year, while he was still installing a new system. This year i dont believe that bus driving is enuff. Bill will want production ( see vinny and drew). I think everyone will agree that neither one of them is a projected driver, ergo Carter will not be allowed to be one either. It's just common sense. :D

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Troy Aikman was a fairly gifted NFL Passer. I think he benefited alot from the Personell around him. He was QB that could make plays but I never felt he was the type of QB that could carry a team on his back.

I think Troy Aikman will get the Hall of Fame nod because of his performances in the Playoffs and his 3 Super Bowl Rings. If you compare Aikman's numbers to other Hall of Fame QB, especially the ones of his error (Favre, Young, etc etc), his numbers are not that great. I am not sure if Aikman is even in the Top 2 QBs in Cowboys history.

Aikman is FAR Greater than Carter, and it is pointless to argue that, but he wasn't the type of QB that could carry an entire team.

Of any of the big Weapons Dallas had, I feel Emmitt Smith was the most important.

- Mike G.

Bluefin

Reaction score
starfrombirth said:
I somewhat agree, but Keep in mind that big bill wanted a bus driver last year, while he was still installing a new system. This year i dont believe that bus driving is enuff. Bill will want production ( see vinny and drew). I think everyone will agree that neither one of them is a projected driver, ergo Carter will not be allowed to be one either. It's just common sense. :D

Bill Parcells still wants to have a bus driver at quarterback, someone who can manage the game and give the team a chance to win.

That doesn't mean Parcells wanted to play it safe with a low risk passing game.

It was quite the opposite, Parcells wanted to use the running game to set up a downfield passing attack that gobbled up yardage in large junks.

Over the first half of the season with defenses at least partially concerning themselves with Dallas' running game, Carter and his receivers were having a blast.

That changed as defenses backed off and devoted themselves to stopping the passing game.

I expect Parcells will still want to try the same tactics this season, but the Cowboys are better equipped to to attack two deep zone defenses with possession threat Keyshawn Johnson and the emerging Jason Witten.

If given the option of having to rely on his running game or passing game to be his bread and butter, Parcells will always want to be able to run the ball.

That didn't happen last year, even with Parcells often force feeding the run to opposing defenses.

It fell on Carter and the receivers to get points and that's what defenses focused on taking away.

The situation didn't allow for a bus driver.

And Carter wasn't ready to be anything more than that, he may never be.

As for Vinny Testaverde, why isn't he a bus driver?

Vinny averaged 197 passing yards in 7 starts with 7 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

The Jets went 2-7 in those games and needed more than Testaverde alone could give them.

The 17 year veteran is better at avoiding mistakes under less than ideal conditions, but Vinny needs help around him the same as Carter if the team is going to win with him starting.

mickgreen58 said:
Aikman is FAR Greater than Carter, and it is pointless to argue that, but he wasn't the type of QB that could carry an entire team.

Of any of the big Weapons Dallas had, I feel Emmitt Smith was the most important.

- Mike G.

I agree.

Little E and that big offensive line was the calling card of those great Cowboys teams.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bluefin said:
Bill Parcells still wants to have a bus driver at quarterback, someone who can manage the game and give the team a chance to win.

It was quite the opposite, Parcells wanted to use the running game to set up a downfield passing attack that gobbled up yardage in large junks.

Over the first half of the season with defenses at least partially concerning themselves with Dallas' running game, Carter and his receivers were having a blast.

That changed as defenses backed off and devoted themselves to stopping the passing game.

I expect Parcells will still want to try the same tactics this season, but the Cowboys are better equipped to to attack two deep zone defenses with possession threat Keyshawn Johnson and the emerging Jason Witten.

If given the option of having to rely on his running game or passing game to be his bread and butter, Parcells will always want to be able to run the ball.

That didn't happen last year, even with Parcells often force feeding the run to opposing defenses.

It fell on Carter and the receivers to get points and that's what defenses focused on taking away.

The situation didn't allow for a bus driver.

And Carter wasn't ready to be anything more than that, he may never be.

As for Vinny Testaverde, why isn't he a bus driver?

Vinny averaged 197 passing yards in 7 starts with 7 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

The Jets went 2-7 in those games and needed more than Testaverde alone could give them.

The 17 year veteran is better at avoiding mistakes under less than ideal conditions, but Vinny needs help around him the same as Carter if the team is going to win with him starting.

I agree.

Little E and that big offensive line was the calling card of those great Cowboys teams.

Problem is even early on the offense was not getting the job done. We played the giants in week 2 our offense put up 1 TD that is it, week one aginst atlanta the offese looked poor and Carter only hit 47% of his passes, aginst the Jets Hambrick went over 100 yards and yes Vinny posted better numbers. I don't doubt have more of a supporting cast will help the QB but how much and while it is easy to lay it on the supporting cast Carter still has his own shortcoming that he needs to overcome if he is ever to be the longterm solution. Myself I will not be suprised when Vinny takes that job from Carter.

ChrisFul

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Problem is even early on the offense was not getting the job done. We played the giants in week 2 our offense put up 1 TD that is it, week one aginst atlanta the offese looked poor and Carter only hit 47% of his passes, aginst the Jets Hambrick went over 100 yards and yes Vinny posted better numbers. I don't doubt have more of a supporting cast will help the QB but how much and while it is easy to lay it on the supporting cast Carter still has his own shortcoming that he needs to overcome if he is ever to be the longterm solution. Myself I will not be suprised when Vinny takes that job from Carter.

Obviously, you won't be. You've been crowing about how worthless Carter is the day you registered on the forums. Not getting the job done? You must have a short memory. Dallas started the first 3 games of 2003 with the #1 offense in the NFL, and by week 6 or so we were #2.

Week 1 vs. the Falcons, Carter put up 270 yards passing and the offense had 403.
Week 2 vs the Giants, 320 passing and again, 403 total yards. Criticizing the offense as "not getting it done" is hardly fair when they marched up and down the field on the NYG. We just couldn't stick it in the endzone, but that's ok when you kick 7 FGs. That's still putting points on the board. Only 7 of the 35 came as a result of a defensive score. 28 points is 28 points, no matter how you score them, and more times than not you score 28 you are going to win. Against the jets, Vinny posted better numbers, but no TDs. Carter had a TD and only threw 23 passes total. Offense had over 360 total yards. The earlier poster was right about Parcells wanting a running game-oriented offense that "gobbled up" passing yards on downfield throws....Dallas finished #3 or #4 in the NFL in passing plays over 20 yards-we had somewhere around 40. I think only the Chiefs and a few other teams had more.

2 wins, 1 loss. That's a little better than "not getting it done". Our offense was fine. It didnt start really sliding until the Tampa game.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Bluefin said:

That is Bill's O in a nutshell. He requires a bus driver at QB, but one who can air it out when the defenses give the leeway. He also wants an underneath game that will take pressure off the deep receivers and the run game.

Vinnie was the consummate bus driver in NY in 98, the first and only year Bill coached him. (In 99 he missed all but the first few drives of the opener to injury, and by 2000, Al Groh had taken over for Tuna as the HC, Bill remaining for that year as GM).

These are bus driver Vinnie's annotated numbers in '98. I am rehashing it because I've seen no evidence to date this is NOT exactly the offensive game Bill still wants.

13 starts, 14 appearances.

Tuna benched Glenn Foley FAST after two losses in which it was evident the kid could not use his weapons to best advantage. Foley did not have to "stink" to lose his job. Tuna is actually more forgiving of a horrendous day by a QB with multi picks and considersssuch outings critical events in a QB's development. He is far less forgiving of mediocrity bringing down the talent of those around him. Folks tend to point to Q's picks as evidence of his futlity. Well, you CAN'T turn the ball over in a ball control offense. But once the weapons are in place, I think the main criteria will be how effectively they are utilized. If Terry or AB are waving their arms out there, open, and Q doesn't see them, well.....

421 attempts, 259 completions, 61.5% pass completion ave.

A pass completion of 60% is a given. You can't execute ball control just on a run game, and a pass game predicated on not getting into third and long scenarios. The underneath game is critical in Bill's O, not just the long ball. He expects YAC from the receivers, and decent timing on short routes, and the ability of the QB to shoot that rock out before the defenders have closed in on the receiver.

3256 yards, YPA 7.73, a long of 82

This is a play action centered offense, but the bus driver doesn't have to be Dan Marino. That 7.73 YPA is the key and last year's 6.54 will not get it done.

29 TDs, 7 picks

Keeping in mind this a a player who had been plagued by picks his entire career, this is some bus driving. Yes, every thing that could be done to keep Vin out of high pressure situations was, but he responded by thowing the ball away when something wasn't there, by living to fight another drive. He did not let his ego make him force balls like he had previously been prone to.

Of course, it was a pretty good bus Vinnie drove with a double teamed Key catching 89 passes for 1150 yards, a 13.1 aver and 8 TDs and "slow" Wayne Chrebet making hay with 75 receptions for 1083, a 14.4 ave and 4 TDs, his career year. Keyshawn does this for his partner - free him up. He has to take full advantage. I really feel the heat is on Terry and/or AB as much as it is on Carter and Jones. Martin ran for 1287 yards on 369 carries for a 4.0 ave, and 8 TDs. His first year in NY was not his statistical best, but it was he made the play action possible which kept the defenses off balance.

Spreading the ball around as much as possible is essential. Ther are no Priest Holmes or Marvin Harrison numbers, but everyone looks good in it. And it's the "bus driver" who orchestrates it.

This is Parcells ball, and some find it boring, but in honesty, it is beautiful and even fascinating when it is well executed. It is a well oiled bus with enough big plays to delight, and which in reality, absolutely needs a QB who is not a super star, but a true leader.

PS love your posts, BF :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ChrisFul said:
Obviously, you won't be. You've been crowing about how worthless Carter is the day you registered on the forums. Not getting the job done? You must have a short memory. Dallas started the first 3 games of 2003 with the #1 offense in the NFL, and by week 6 or so we were #2.

Week 1 vs. the Falcons, Carter put up 270 yards passing and the offense had 403.
Week 2 vs the Giants, 320 passing and again, 403 total yards. Criticizing the offense as "not getting it done" is hardly fair when they marched up and down the field on the NYG. We just couldn't stick it in the endzone, but that's ok when you kick 7 FGs. That's still putting points on the board. Against the jets, Vinny posted better numbers, but no TDs. Carter had a TD and only threw 23 passes total. Offense had over 360 total yards.

2 wins, 1 loss. That's a little better than "not getting it done". Our offense was fine. It didnt start really sliding until the Tampa game.

Yeah we also had the best running attack due to a couple of big runs at the start of the season but I sure as hell do not claim that Dallas had an outstanding running game. Look if you like Carter then fine I think he is a major waste of time and I'll say so. If you don't like that then to heck with you, I'm not hear to say the things you want to hear. So you keep on making your litttle lame excuses because I really do not pay much attention of anything you have to say because normally it is not worth reading to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.