Question re: Dak and greed

Auggie22

Reaction score
Maybe the FO and Dak are in cahoots just to keep us entertained while the COVID-19 clears up or Dak and his agent finish watching Wall Street - "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good." Gordon Gekko

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He hasn't proven anybody wrong. The guy is not a franchise QB. Last year with the NFC Least on the line he couldn't get us over the hump. He flat out sucks when it comes to being consistent. It's time to cut bait due to his inability to lift those around him. He wants all that dough but has to be carried! LOL, you Dak fanboys have been crying omg the rest of the team needs to step it up and carry him more. What's it going to be like when he is making 35+ a year? He isn't worth what he is asking for. I would rescind the tag and make it no exclusive. If some team out there is dumb enough to give a 1 or even 2 1st for him then run all the way to the bank with that robbery.

See, he has already proven you wrong.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
how's it so hard to read the literal next thing after you got perplexed? At no point did I say we can win super bowl with any qb, but what's so hard to believe we can win regular season games and be somewhat relevant with any other qb? It doesn't mean go out of your way to find a scrub to prove me wrong, get real guys.

The irony is just too funny.

Dak isn't good enough, but Dalton is? One would think you ELITE OR GO HOME types would think Dalton sucks.
Personally, I like Dalton. In the right situation he could be effective.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's simple, he wants his money, he deserves it

. He has the offer, take it or tag, you're it.

If he plays w/ the tag and has a great season offer him a super deal next year, if he refuses, tag again and take the 2 #1s somebody will offer.

If he struggles this year...bye. no harm.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I know I know, I just couldn’t help myself despite the numerous Dak threads.

This really isn’t a question of what you think he should be paid, or what he deserves, more do you honestly think it’s just “greed” considering the (league relative) peanuts he played for for 4 years?

No matter what your opinion on him as a player or as your teams QB, there is NO argument that he massively outplayed his draft position and associated contract. Stepping in from day one as the starter and on through the present, he’s made roughly what we’re giving Dalton to the be the backup for a year. And he did it without a peep. There was never any holdout talk, any salary talk, any hint of bitterness or entitlement, just did his job and fulfilled the contract in full and without any drama around it.

With that said, I (personally don’t begrudge him for pushing for whatever he wants, because that’s the mechanics of the league in the same fashion the contract he previously received and honored. I’m just not seeing the greed.
I think when a player comes into the league who is an underdog and plays well enough to be a starter he deserves to be paid at the end of his rookie contract. I dont view those first 4 years as years the team owes him for playing so cheap. I view those years as investment in yourself toward a new contract. QB position has gotten out of hand when it comes to how much to pay these guys. I think teams have overpaid the position and it defeats the purpose of the salary cap. I think every player wants to get as much money as they can but if it reaches a point of being unrealistic it causes friction with said player and the organization. The Kirk Cousins was good example. That reached a point of no return for him and there was no way he would of signed with the Commanders. He is also a prime example of not being worth the money he was paid.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm not seeing the greed either, but what difference does it make if the end result is the same. I'll be honest, I don't care what he was paid over the last 4 years. I don't care if he worked for food and slept in a pickup for 4 years. Not my concern. That's his concern. But at the same time, if the cap was 400 million I don't care if they paid him 50 million a year with a 100 million dollar signing bonus. Again, not my concern. What I am concerned about is if a player negatively impacts the team. A couple of reasons behind Dak's thinking IMO.

1. Pride. You see this all the time with players. A player will go from a championship team to a 2-14 team because he felt he was being short changed a million or two. No other way to explain why you'd refuse 30 mil over long term and insist on more. You're set either way and your lifestyle isn't being affected. Literally no player gives a damn about the team. If it appears that they do, it's because they themselves rather play for that team or the location suits them.

2. His agent. He probably told his agent to handle it. Why else does he pay him?

Hardly I'll walk with you, even if the sun don't shine...material!

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Dak is maximizing his earning potential, nothing wrong with what he’s doing. Dallas waited to try and sign him and the price went up, that was the risk they took. Don’t turn around and trash Dak because he’s doing what most of us would be doing.

InTheZone

Reaction score
The irony is just too funny.

Dak isn't good enough, but Dalton is? One would think you ELITE OR GO HOME types would think Dalton sucks.
Personally, I like Dalton. In the right situation he could be effective.
LOL you guys just read into your own narrative. I've clearly said before that for the price that we have Dalton I'm all for keeping him and dumping Dak. But there's also a chance Dalton could do better than Dak with this team. Either way we're not drastically worse with Dalton.

Proof

Reaction score
LOL you guys just read into your own narrative. I've clearly said before that for the price that we have Dalton I'm all for keeping him and dumping Dak. But there's also a chance Dalton could do better than Dak with this team. Either way we're not drastically worse with Dalton.

Hypothetically (unrealistically ) If Dalton performed better than or even just as good as Dak, how much do you think he would then cost? And how long would you be comfortable paying him?

John813

Reaction score
Dak is maximizing his earning potential, nothing wrong with what he’s doing. Dallas waited to try and sign him and the price went up, that was the risk they took. Don’t turn around and trash Dak because he’s doing what most of us would be doing.

They tried to sign him last year, the first offseason teams could start negotiations.
So, that's not true. They tried to get him to sign an "honest" offer and he wanted more and wanted to prove his worth to the team. Then after the 3-0 start talks fell apart till Feb/March of this year.

IMO the team was offering too low of an offer and his agent was asking for a lot at the time last year. You got two stubborn reps on both sides. This is the result.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hypothetically (unrealistically ) If Dalton performed better than or even just as good as Dak, how much do you think he would then cost? And how long would you be comfortable paying him?

That by no means is the question up on the table at present...ability, not long term advantage in the cap. Having Dalton affects leverage, and even the agent for Dak Prescott has to acknowledge that. Even if he remains dumb and percentage dedicated for his own money.

Section446

Reaction score
It's simple, he wants his money, he deserves it

. He has the offer, take it or tag, you're it.

If he plays w/ the tag and has a great season offer him a super deal next year, if he refuses, tag again and take the 2 #1s somebody will offer.

If he struggles this year...bye. no harm.
That is the best case scenario for both parties; playing on the tag

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Anyone arguing that a player is greedy needs to shut up.

Players aren't greedy.

Owners in the NFL get away with non-guaranteed contracts - unlike other sports.

Does any one call them greedy? No. Why? Gee I wonder why?

Anybody telling anybody else to shut needs to shut up. See how that works?

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
They tried to sign him last year, the first offseason teams could start negotiations.
So, that's not true. They tried to get him to sign an "honest" offer and he wanted more and wanted to prove his worth to the team. Then after the 3-0 start talks fell apart till Feb/March of this year.

IMO the team was offering too low of an offer and his agent was asking for a lot at the time last year. You got two stubborn reps on both sides. This is the result.

Correct, I should’ve said Dal didn’t offer him a market value deal. I think Dal intentionally lowballed him since they may not have been 100% sold. Then Dak gets off to a hot start and now the leverage swings to Dak and he wants more.

kskboys

Reaction score
They didn't wait to try and sign him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Regardless of what you do for a living I will never judge someone for trying to maximize their compensation. I don't care what anybody anywhere gets paid I focus on my bank account.

Yes I agree with that.

Unfortunately the NFL has a salary cap and it puts fans cheering for owners to win deals and not players.

I hope Dak gets as little as possible because my team will be better for it.

I'm a Cowboy fan. Not a Prescott fan.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Better with Dalton? Yah, you are no QB guru, that is for sure.

And if Dak isn't good enough then its laughable for you to say Dalton is.

And if Dalton is REALLY as good as Dak then what is your plan if not to tank and draft a QB top 5?

Every week its a new dumb idea that makes no sense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes I agree with that.

Unfortunately the NFL has a salary cap and it puts fans cheering for owners to win deals and not players.

LOL...…….Fans cheer for lower salaries not for owners to win, but for the team to win and be better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes I agree with that.

How an you be a Cowboys fan when you say things like Dak sucks, or Dak is a backup?

Or you want to go with Dalton? Teams gets worse with all those scenarios and wallos in QB hell.

If you want to win, then you pay Dak until you find a better option. Its that simple.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
yes he is greedy lol
but so are all the top players in the nfl
I think they are all playing for the money more than wanting to win a sb
the going rate for a top qb is too high i think rodgers is a good example
he gets huge endorsement money from state farm and also a top salary which has
hurt his teams chance of getting to the sb again
so is he greedy too? selfish? i think he is

now dak wants too much just like the others just the way it is
i think dak presents a public image that isnt who he really is
he wants all the money he can get way more than he wants a sb ring

i think dak thinks he is a top five qb and wants to be paid accordingly
he may even think he is the best qb or number two behind mahomes
so he probably thinks he can get the big payday and win a sb or two lol

the jones boys want to sign dak and they have anointed him even though he hasnt
proven himself yet so no telling what they will pay him
i think they should play him on the tag this year and see what happens and go from there

signing him now could be a big mistake