Quick Brugler nugget on drafting QBs

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Ehh I don’t know if draft status has to do with it.

Did Eli Manning win two rings because he was a 1st rounder?

Did Ravens win because Trent Dilfer was a first rounder?

I don’t see the correlation.

Mahomes was a first rounder. Probably will go down as one of the best to ever play if not the best.

The numbers skew in favor off those drafted in the 1st because typically guys don’t succeed in this league.

For instance a guy like Wentz who has had one good year in his year career will get so many chances just because he was a first rounder.

Mariota is always on someone’s team as is Jameis.

Your draft status will get your more chances on a team than a guy taken in the 5th round.

Dak and Romo didn’t fail because they weren’t first rounders. They have had better careers than most first rounders.
Players that are taken in the first round are generally better than those taken in later rounds. This is not that hard to understand. Your best chance at a great QB is in round 1. Don't believe me? Rank the top 5 QB's in the league currently and tell me where they were drafted.

Mahomes 1st round
Lamar Jackson 1st round
Joe Burrow 1st round
Josh Allen 1st round
Stroud/Tua/Herbert. 1st round

Hadenough

Reaction score
Packers game was a fluke game where the whole team sucked just like the Cardinals;. Had Dak played well you guys would make excuses for it. 49ers have his number.
As usual you make excuses but it happened against the Rams, Bills , Chiefs, Broncos, Cardinals. Dak outside of the NFC East doesn't scare anyone.
Did Eli Manning win two rings because he was a 1st rounder
YES! He had the mental pedigree to go with the physical talent. Tony Romo would not of won a SB with that Giants team.

Retro88

Reaction score
Stafford?

The 1st round pick that you Dak fans are terrified of taking a chance on that went to another team and won?

He doesn’t fit the criteria of what Dak is.
You are being dishonest with the convo. You're trying to act like where they are drafted and how long they were with their team matters. It does not. The only thing that matters is can a QB with Dak's general skill level win a SB. You are intentionally putting all these qualifiers in to ignore Stafford. A QB in Dak's skill range that won a Super Bowl in his 13th season.

You're not fooling anybody.

Retro88

Reaction score
Players that are taken in the first round are generally better than those taken in later rounds. This is not that hard to understand. Your best chance at a great QB is in round 1. Don't believe me? Rank the top 5 QB's in the league currently and tell me where they were drafted.

Mahomes 1st round
Lamar Jackson 1st round
Joe Burrow 1st round
Josh Allen 1st round
Your take operates in a vacuum. Yes, obviously speaking the first rounders will be better and hit more often then later round QBs. However, once the later round QBs prove they belong with the better QBs then when they are drafted means nothing which was his point. Neither of these takes are wrong.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Mahomes 1st round
Lamar Jackson 1st round
Joe Burrow 1st round
Josh Allen 1st round
Lamar won MVP as the 32nd pick in the draft.
Purdy was the 262nd pick in the draft mvp candidate
Dak was135th pick in the draft…

The three best quarterbacks last year. It’s not hard at all lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
As usual you make excuses but it happened against the Rams, Bills , Chiefs, Broncos, Cardinals. Dak outside of the NFC East doesn't scare anyone.

YES! He had the mental pedigree to go with the physical talent. Tony Romo would not of won a SB with that Giants team.
No quarterback puts fear in anyone except Mahomes lol. A weird flex.

Eli didn’t have any mental pedigree he had a great defensive line lol.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The only QBs to win a Super Bowl since Dak was drafted are Tom Brady, Nick Foles, Matthew Stafford, and Patrick Mahomes. Just 4 of them. Only 2 of them were first round picks. Stafford was selected first overall but didn't win until he got to his second team. Mitchell Trubisky was the only QB taken ahead of Mahomes. I guess Mitchell Trubisky still has a chance to rewrite history but it seems unlikely he'll catch Mahomes.
The once in lifetime Brady distorts those stats

gtb1943

Reaction score

thank you for that laugh Giant Fan

gtb1943

Reaction score
Lamar won MVP as the 32nd pick in the draft.
Purdy was the 262nd pick in the draft mvp candidate
Dak was135th pick in the draft…

The three best quarterbacks last year. It’s not hard at all lol.
Yet who hoisted the Lombardi?
who made the plays when it mattered the most?
The Dak bots are so funny

MarkP88

Reaction score
You are being dishonest with the convo. You're trying to act like where they are drafted and how long they were with their team matters. It does not. The only thing that matters is can a QB with Dak's general skill level win a SB. You are intentionally putting all these qualifiers in to ignore Stafford. A QB in Dak's skill range that won a Super Bowl in his 13th season.

I don't hate Dak (though I do not love him) - he's a good player, a tough guy, and seems to be a good teammate. But anyone who thinks his talent is anywhere near as good as Stafford has to be smoking something.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
"Here's some outliers. This totally disproves the rule!"

The history of the SB era makes it quite clear - your best bet is to draft QBs with premium draft picks as often as possible. Even if you already have Tom Brady you should still do this as you will have the next guy, or you trade one of them for a huge haul of more draft picks.

It's the easy moneyball of the NFL. Any idiot armed with this simple realization that anyone can confirm for themselves with a glance at the history of the SB era can build a successful team.

If you need to go deeper than this here is a four step solution to team building:

1) Find the right QB.
2) Find a blind side tackle to protect him.
3) Find a stud DE pass rusher to destroy the other team's QB.
4) Everything else including coaches.
Plus everyone knew 2022 was a weak QB draft before it was held

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yet who hoisted the Lombardi?
who made the plays when it mattered the most?
The Dak bots are so funny
Patrick Mahomes did. You know one of the best. Quarterbacks of all time? The guy yall talk about like he’s just a guy and anyone can pick him lol? Dak haters are funny.

conner01

Reaction score
It is not easy people.....this is why I prefer mid-tier vet if we move on from Dak

Hardest position to draft in football. Always over drafted and always will be because there just isn’t enough quality QB and QB is a position you can hide a guys weaknesses and flaws

erod

Reaction score
These days almost all college quarterbacks come to the NFL ill-prepared and full of suck.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

It does matter.

That's why teams get rid of bums that are a decade in with only 2 Wild Card wins.

That's why no QB has ever done what Dak is trying to do, because smart teams don't waste so much time with a loser QB.