Quick Brugler nugget on drafting QBs

DFWJC

Reaction score
Im for regularly drafting a QB
Bruglar chose the worst QB draft class, maybe ever, as his example
Thats bs

CWR

Reaction score
It is not easy people.....this is why I prefer mid-tier vet if we move on from Dak

My preference would be to draft a guy with the tools in rd 2 ish and develop him a couple years. Unless, there's a super legit prospect, like Manning or Caleb, or Lawrence I don't really want to roll the dice in round 1. I guess it all depends on where we pick.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Packers game was a fluke game where the whole team sucked just like the Cardinals;. Had Dak played well you guys would make excuses for it. 49ers have his number.
A "fluke" game? And in the very same breath, "the 49ers have his number". Which is it?

I mean if they truly have his number, he's pretty much useless for a playoff run. I mean, how do we know Jordan Love and the Packers don't ALSO have his number?

And if it was a "fluke" game...why does Dak always have these "fluke" games in the playoffs lately?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A "fluke" game? And in the very same breath, "the 49ers have his number". Which is it?

I mean if they truly have his number, he's pretty much useless for a playoff run. I mean, how do we know Jordan Love and the Packers don't ALSO have his number?

And if it was a "fluke" game...why does Dak always have these "fluke" games in the playoffs lately?
I said what I said. Packers was a fluke loss and he can't beat 49ers....what's the confusion?

And I agree if he can't beat San Fran he is useless for the playoff run. What's the confusion?

We don't know if Love and Packers don't have his number. What we do know is the 9ers have beaten Dak 3 times in a row. UNtil proven otherwise they have his number. Packers....until proven otherwise is a fluke.

Go take nap you still haven't recovered from that beaten yesterday lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
"Here's some outliers. This totally disproves the rule!"

The history of the SB era makes it quite clear - your best bet is to draft QBs with premium draft picks as often as possible. Even if you already have Tom Brady you should still do this as you will have the next guy, or you trade one of them for a huge haul of more draft picks.

It's the easy moneyball of the NFL. Any idiot armed with this simple realization that anyone can confirm for themselves with a glance at the history of the SB era can build a successful team.

If you need to go deeper than this here is a four step solution to team building:

1) Find the right QB.
2) Find a blind side tackle to protect him.
3) Find a stud DE pass rusher to destroy the other team's QB.
4) Everything else including coaches.

Early round draft picks are pure gold. They make up not only the top tier of talent on any given team but the affordable cost-controlled talent that makes keeping elite vets and the QB happy.
You don't just throw high picks at QB year after year unless you want to be fired.
Teams can develop AT MOST 2 QBs at a time.
And you can not miss on high picks and survive.

The Cowboys have had 4 all-pro franchise QBs:
Roger was drafted in round 10.
Troy was 1st overall against Jimmy's wishes
Tony was undrafted.
Dak was a round 4 supp pick.

You should always be looking for a QB. But the key is having a development system similar to what Duke does with OL.
You have to develop them from lower draft picks and off your practice squad.

Anyone entering the NFL draft viewed as a stupid good LT, stud QB or stud pass rusher is going top 10. You don't just get those picks.
Dallas has picked top 10 all of 1 time in a decade.

Chasing6

Reaction score
"Here's some outliers. This totally disproves the rule!"

The history of the SB era makes it quite clear - your best bet is to draft QBs with premium draft picks as often as possible. Even if you already have Tom Brady you should still do this as you will have the next guy, or you trade one of them for a huge haul of more draft picks.

It's the easy moneyball of the NFL. Any idiot armed with this simple realization that anyone can confirm for themselves with a glance at the history of the SB era can build a successful team.

If you need to go deeper than this here is a four step solution to team building:

1) Find the right QB.
2) Find a blind side tackle to protect him.
3) Find a stud DE pass rusher to destroy the other team's QB.
4) Everything else including coaches.
Well that is completely backwards from the Niners did.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's not easy, but we're going to see several rookie Qb's have good games and bad games. I can see the kid from the Commanders playing against us and having an all pro game because that's what we tend to do
If your team sucks a rookie QB is not going to help.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
if you only want to be relevant, fine. If you want to win a SB, the vast majority of qbs on the teams that win it are first rd picks
Tom Brady was basically the exception that proved the rule.
19.4% of the QBs to start a Super Bowl were drafted 1st overall. Not first round but 1st period.
After that? odds are trash for every other draft position.
ZERO number 2 overall picks have won a SB. 2 have been but lost a la Donovan McNabb.

The 2nd and 3rd round have the exact same odds. 14 starts, 7 wins.

The rub:
There were 38 quarterbacks drafted in the first round between 2011-2022, the year the NFL changed the collective bargaining agreement to set a wage scale for rookie deals, making it extremely affordable to draft a quarterback.

Those 38 first round quarterbacks have made a total of 1,909 starts. Their record? 1034-1035-7
There have been 25 R1 QBs drafted since Pat Mahomes Jr and 0 have made a Super Bowl. 8 are no longer with team that drafted them R1.

Chasing6

Reaction score
if you only want to be relevant, fine. If you want to win a SB, the vast majority of qbs on the teams that win it are first rd picks
Tom Brady was basically the exception that proved the rule

And arguably the 2 best QB's of all time were not first round picks - Brady and Montana.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Alex Smith sucked.

Tell me what your plan is. (You won't, because you're a coward)
Alex Smith was just like Dak. Gets you to the playoffs and then loses. The Chiefs moved on from him and drafted a 1st round QB. Dallas should have and still can wait for a good draft class of QBs and move up and take one in the top of the draft. It would be better to spend 3) 1 st round picks and move up to the #1 spot than to play it safe trying to grab a guy in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. Yeah there is always a chance of drafting a bust but there is also a chance of hitting a home run. You have to keep swinging. Daks not gonna be here forever and it's not gonna be the end of the world when he retires or leaves for a big contract.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
3) 1 st round picks and move up to the #1 spot than to play it safe trying to grab a guy in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. Yeah there is always a chance of drafting a bust but there is also a chance of hitting a home run.
Ok......question
What QB in the 2025 draft are you giving up THREE 1st rounders to move up to 1st overall pick?

Remember this means you already let Dak walk w/o extension