Quinn tried to get Bobby Wagner to Dallas

Creeper

Reaction score
It's been years since the Cowboys paid a free agent what Wagner wanted to get paid. Why is it a surprise the Cowboys didn't want to pay him?

The Cowboys do not value defense as much as they value offense. They are currently spending $172MM on offense and $91 million on defense in CAP dollars. It has been like this in Dallas for years.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
They have a budget to keep.

jerry-jones-yacht-1676656282092.jpg

Carson

Reaction score
Isn’t this old news? He’s said this the previous two seasons. Nothing new

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
These are things that just happen when you overpay average talent because "they are your guys" - hell the entire objective of the cap should be to allocate resources judicially and not just based on some arbitrary assignment of "our guys"

rambo2

Reaction score
This isn't news. We already knew that they wanted Wagner and couldn't get him. I'd say they blew it when they over paid Pollard. They could have gotten a running back for 3 million and had some money for Wagner. They blew it.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Wow smh I blame Stephen and Jerry. Bobby Wagner can still ball. He was a tackling machine for the Seahawks last year. Heck I wish we could of got him this year.

From PFF
The future Hall of Famer is still producing massive results after 12 seasons, even setting a career-high 91.5 PFF run-defense grade this past season.
Mar 8, 2024

Jarntt

Reaction score
I think some of you don't understand that as an NFL owner and GM you need to be bale to rank your priorities. It isn't reasonable to think you can sign both an All Pro MLB who singlehandedly can improve your run defense and ALSO buy and maintain a new yacht

tm1119

Reaction score
Based on the moves made by Washington in 1 off season with Quinn, it looks pretty obvious that Quinn wasn’t picking his own groceries. He was just playing whoever he could at LB and DT, not who he wanted

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cheap but also Stephen is not a good contract/cap guy. He also blew it with Eric Kendricks' agent and was originally going to sign with 49ers. I think Zimmer must have intervened to get him to change his mind. But I'm also sure that Wagner was only coming to Dallas if their offer was clearly more than the Seahawks. He's a west coast guy and clearly had a connection with the seahawks already.
I think it has less to do with not being a good contract/cap guy and more to do with the team's free agent philosophy. They are just not going to pay much for outside free agents, even if it is to the detriment of the team. The Joneses are dug in on their belief that spending on outside free agents is a waste (which it sometimes is) even though the Super Bowl participants have shown that a few key, not-cheap FAs can put a team over the top.

It's really not much different than their early days after the Jimmy-Jerry divorce. Jerry was of the belief that he could use expensive free agency to fill in around Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin and neglected the draft. The only time we've done everything we could in player acquisition since Jerry became owner was when Jimmy was running the show. Consequently, we have not been able to get back to a championship game since then.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It's been years since the Cowboys paid a free agent what Wagner wanted to get paid. Why is it a surprise the Cowboys didn't want to pay him?

The Cowboys do not value defense as much as they value offense. They are currently spending $172MM on offense and $91 million on defense in CAP dollars. It has been like this in Dallas for years.
Its a surprise because he only signed for 1yr/$5M last season. For comparison thats a smaller amount against the CAP than what Zeke will cost the Cowboys in 2024 in dead money alone from his previous contract.

The fact the Cowboys couldn't get that deal done in a year when they were legitimate contenders is extremely worrisome.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Based on the moves made by Washington in 1 off season with Quinn, it looks pretty obvious that Quinn wasn’t picking his own groceries. He was just playing whoever he could at LB and DT, not who he wanted
Yeah I have a bad feeling that we are going to see what DQ does with legitimate LBs and DTs in Washington and regret losing the guy.

gimmesix

Reaction score

It really shouldn't be a surprise anymore. This has been the way of doing business for the Dallas Cowboys since Brandon Carr didn't turn out to be the best FA signing ever. If anything, the Joneses have only gotten more stingy with outside free agents.

Probably can use Kendricks' contract as a measure for what we were willing to pay Wagner. Kendricks got $3 million this year, but prices also continue to go up, so we might not have even offered that to Wagner.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Right. Again, we blame the coaches when they are handicapped by what the front office is willing to give them. They may have input on players, but it only goes so far. Quinn wanted Wagner; he got LVE.

I think in his news conference the other day, Zimmer made an offhanded comment about the personnel at some positions not being ideal, but if Zimmer's defense has areas of weakness that get exploited this season, fans here will blame him for it. As the saying goes, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken feces. We'll end up wasting the career of a great player we lucked into (Parsons) because of all the weak links the front office puts around him, just like we did with Ware until he was lucky enough that the front office forced him to leave and go to a team that was doing all it could to win a Super Bowl.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
Yeah I have a bad feeling that we are going to see what DQ does with legitimate LBs and DTs in Washington and regret losing the guy.
I have a great feeling that Washington will again struggle this year.